• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official PS4 Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
agreed.

and it may sound like I'm constantly ******** about it......lol.

but it's so frustrating because these are relatively "simple" things that should be easy to add. that's why I'm so vocal.

I mean, it's nice we're finally getting USB Music Player. but, couldn't you have easily bundled the music player with a video player and picture viewer all into one media app? with DLNA coming in the next update?

and now that we'll be able to change themes, that means that technically we'll be able to go into a setting and choose a different background picture. but it seems we still can't use our own background images ( cuz there's no picture viewer app yet ).

and what about more Avatars or the ability to choose our purchased PS3 Avatars or an actual PS4 Avatar section in the Store?

and the UI still seems largely untouched. still no folders or "pins" to better organize content.

no external hdd support. although, it seems there was a "backup feature" initially announced with the 2.0 but then they backtracked.

and again, a lot of these features are things that the X1 has or will have in the next update.

as a PS4 owner, and one who chose the PS4 over the X1 last year, it's incredibly frustrating to watch the X1 get all these features through constant, frequent updates month after month.

I'm on the edge of "jumping ship" and getting an X1. I'm very torn, cuz ideally, I'd like to stay with the PS4. There's no reason why the PS4 can't be an all-in-one media console in addition to being the more powerful gaming console.

so, I'm willing to give Sony some more time and give them a pass with this update. hopefully, 2.0 will lay the foundation for more media features and more UI changes. and hopefully these updates and changes will start coming out sooner and more frequently.

but, it's hard to deny that each month the X1 is becoming a more attractive option. and with the upcoming holiday bundles and sales......well........

Im keeping my PS4 cause of Uncharted, and because its hardware holds a bit more potential. It seems wise to hold on to it. But if I had the cash Id get an Xbox One to use as my main media device and just keep the PS4 for some games.

Honestly, Im not gonna thank Sony and give them the thumbs up for basic features that should have been on the console the day I put down $470 for the system. This whole schtick Sony has pulled has left me feeling like a dog begging for Sony's table scraps, and thats not something Im going to be ok with.

Last edited:
Im keeping my PS4 cause of Uncharted, and because its hardware holds a bit more potential. It seems wise to hold on to it. But if I had the cash Id get an Xbox One to use as my main media device and just keep the PS4 for some games.

Honestly, Im not gonna thank Sony and give them the thumbs up for basic features that should have been on the console the day I put down $470 for the system. This whole schtick Sony has pulled has left me feeling like a dog begging for Sony's table scraps, and thats not something Im going to be ok with.

even if I get an X1, I still plan on keeping my PS4.

and I know that some here feel like I'm being "petty" or unreasonable constantly harping about "media playback." it's a game machine, after all.

and yes, it is a game machine. but so was the PS3. but the PS3 also was a multi-function media machine. and I fully expected the PS4 to be able to simply do what the PS3 could do, especially almost a year after launch.

and if the X1 can add these features no problem, there's NO legit reason why the PS4 can't.

Last edited:
that's why I'm so vocal.

And what do you think constantly whining about it on the Hype is going to do? What do you hope to achieve by doing that? I think you would be better off complaining on the official Playstation forums where someone important at least MIGHT see it. Or better yet, contact Sony directly. What you're doing now accomplishes nothing but annoying the rest of us.

And what do you think constantly whining about it on the Hype is going to do? What do you hope to achieve by doing that? I think you would be better off complaining on the official Playstation forums where someone important at least MIGHT see it. Or better yet, contact Sony directly. What you're doing now accomplishes nothing but annoying the rest of us.

does it really bother you that much?

I've actually stayed away from the PS4 threads for some time now, so I haven't exactly been whining too much lately.

now that they're finally starting to role out the new features, I have less of a reason to complain.

I'll just try to be patient and let them add the other features in due time.

besides, there are so many games coming out in the next few months that I probably won't even miss the media features. :cwink:

Eh if members can voice their excitement and approval for the new update I think others are allowed to voice their displeasure.

Let's be honest, both these machines were seriously lacking some fundamental features upon release. The fact that both didn't even have the basic features the 360 and PS3 had is embarrassing. It's like Windows 8 not coming with MS Paint or a media player. Windows still has MS Paint, right?

I mean, are people supposed to be excited about finally being able to change the color of the background of the 399 dollar console?

This is a joke.

Us:
giphy.gif

Sony:
pic5.png

Eh if members can voice their excitement and approval for the new update I think others are allowed to voice their displeasure.

Let's be honest, both these machines were seriously lacking some fundamental features upon release. The fact that both didn't even have the basic features the 360 and PS3 had is embarrassing. It's like Windows 8 not coming with MS Paint or a media player. Windows still has MS Paint, right?

I mean, are people supposed to be excited about finally being able to change the color of the background of the 399 dollar console?

This is a joke.

exactly!!

This is a joke.
Windows 8 didn't come with Windows Media Center, even though it was a standard feature in 7. The only way to get it was as a $10 add on, but only if you had the Pro version of 8, which cost at least $70 to upgrade. I was pissed when I got my new computer this spring and found that out after the fact

Windows 8 didn't come with Windows Media Center, even though it was a standard feature in 7. The only way to get it was as a $10 add on, but only if you had the Pro version of 8, which cost at least $70 to upgrade. I was pissed when I got my new computer this spring and found that out after the fact

Really? Wow. No wonder everyone hates 8.

I just don't understand why Windows is so bad. I mean, when I say that people accuse me of being an Apple fanboy. I love my Mac, but there are other good operating systems out there.

I just don't understand why Windows is so bad. Microsoft has all the money in the world, and can design anything they want, yet the final product is always at best... "tolerable".

Between XP's security problems (last PC I owned had XP), ME, Vista, 8, and just Internet Explorer in general, I don't know how they still have a near monopoly.

Windows isn't bad. I hated the original 8, but I started using 8.1 and its not bad at all. As an OS, I still prefer it to my Mac

I definitely prefer the Windows OS to the Mac OS. no contest.

I feel like I'm getting a completely new system on Tuesday for crying out loud, ha. That's how great this update is looking. :D:up:

does it really bother you that much?

I'm not Soapy, obviously, but I'll answer for me. It annoys me a lot, and the big part of why I unsubscribed to the Xbox One thread was because you excessively talked about a ****ing 1TB Xbone by Christmas, like every damn day for a week you brought it up in some form or fashion.

There's not an inherent problem with "whining", or negative criticism, but like everything, it can become excessive, and honestly, I think you really tip over the line to excessive a lot. Almost every post from you in this thread is about media features, or lack of, in some way (the same in the Xbox One thread, mixed in with **** about a 1TB HDD). It would probably be less noticeable if there were more members, and it was more spread out, but since the Hype is such a dead board, it's particularly more noticeable.

It's not even the negative part. Even if someone were to constantly come in and scream and shout about how awesome the PS4 was and it never needed to change and blah blah, it would get annoying even to the hardcore fans. It feels almost like spam at times between this thread, the Xbox One one, and the PS4 vs Xbox One one whenever it gets active. I get it, it's an important aspect of the consoles for you, but at some point you surely have to realize you're just endless saying the same thing on a loop.

Last edited:
I use both Mac & Windows. Overall they're about equal (to me) but much stronger and weaker than each other in certain areas which makes having both worthwhile.

I'm not Soapy, obviously, but I'll answer for me. It annoys me a lot, and the big part of why I unsubscribed to the Xbox One thread was because you excessively talked about a ****ing 1TB Xbone by Christmas, like every damn day for a week you brought it up in some form or fashion.

There's not an inherent problem with "whining", or negative criticism, but like everything, it can become excessive, and honestly, I think you really tip over the line to excessive a lot. Almost every post from you in this thread is about media features, or lack of, in some way (the same in the Xbox One thread, mixed in with **** about a 1TB HDD). It would probably be less noticeable if there were more members, and it was more spread out, but since the Hype is such a dead board, it's particularly more noticeable.

It's not even the negative part. Even if someone were to constantly come in and scream and shout about how awesome the PS4 was and it never needed to change and blah blah, it would get annoying even to the hardcore fans. It feels almost like spam at times between this thread, the Xbox One one, and the PS4 vs Xbox One one whenever it gets active. I get it, it's an important aspect of the consoles for you, but at some point you surely have to realize you're just endless saying the same thing on a loop.

You know you can ignore people, right?

Obviously, but I don't really dislike X Knight or anything. Worse comes to worse, I just unsubscribe to this thread, since I have no issues with his posts elsewhere or personality. I just felt the need to weigh in on his question, especially since this is something that's been brought up in the past.

oh, wow! sorry, Tron. I didn't mean to drive you away from the X1 thread. :(

I'll try toning it down then.

I didn't realize that I was affecting other posters like you or Soapy to that extent. :(

Last edited:

Or just skip over their post. It takes about two seconds to skim a post and if it's not something you care about you move on. There really isn't a reason to get upset about someone being upset about a feature or lack thereof no matter how many posts they make about it. I mean, I could understand if he was taking up entire pages with back to back posts but x-knight isn't so I really don't see why his posts about Sony's absolute **** job at providing media features is upsetting anyone.

Or just skip over their post. It takes about two seconds to skim a post and if it's not something you care about you move on. There really isn't a reason to get upset about someone being upset about a feature or lack thereof no matter how many posts they make about it. I mean, I could understand if he was taking up entire pages with back to back posts but x-knight isn't so I really don't see why his posts about Sony's absolute **** job at providing media features is upsetting anyone.

hey, thanks man.

but still, I'm going to try to tone it down.

I don't want to be annoying or make the Hype an unenjoyable experience for other posters.

PlayStation 4
PS4 system update 2.00 overview video
Published 44 mins ago. 14 comments.
USB Music Player, YouTube, and more showcased.
PS4-200-General-Overview-Vid.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment has released a general overview walkthrough video of PlayStation 4 system software update 2.00.
The video showcases:

• USB Music Player - Simply insert a USB memory stick with audio files and the USB Music Player icon will appear. Once selected, you’ll see folders with your music.
  • Themes - Update 2.00 brings default themes that change the background color, as well as additional themes that can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store.
  • New Voice Commands - New voice commands have been added, which can be used via the PlayStation Camera or compatible headset.
  • Pause and Resume Downloads - Downloads can now be paused in resumed in the Notifications section’s Downloads menu.
  • Redesigned Party and Invitation Screens - In the main screen, the function menu is now on the right-hand side. Text labels have been added and the Invitation screen looks cleaner overall.
  • Share to YouTube - Previously, you could only export video clips to Facebook. Now, you can upload clips directly to YouTube. From the YouTube upload page, you can trim a clip, watch a preview, and post a link directly to Twitter or Facebook.
  • New and Improved Live Broadcasting Features - In “Live from PlayStation,” you’ll see new icons on the sidebar, including Featured broadcasts from PlayStation and a Games List, which lets you find live streams from specific games. You also now have the option of following your favorite broadcasters and watching archived live streams. Other new features include the ability to add messages to your live stream that are displayed on the bottom of the live stream. There are also filters and other options for your picture-in-picture PlayStation Camera display.
Of course, the video doesn’t showcase every new feature of the update. Also coming is Share Play, an improved content area and Library, and an updated What’s New section.
PlayStation 4 system software update 2.00 will launch tomorrow, October 28.
Watch the overview clip below.
[YT]n8j90KcOX64[/YT]

Read More

PlayStation 4, Clips, Gameplay, PlayStation 4, SCE, SCEA, SCEE, Trailers

source: Gematsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads