The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utd leave it seriously late against FC Copenhagen. 95th minute Bruno Fernandes penalty for a 1-0 win.

We were **** tonight, having said that we still should have comfortably won that inside the 90 but for the woodwork & of course their goalkeeper who like every other goalkeeper, seems to save their performance of the season for Manchester United.

We were **** tonight, having said that we still should have comfortably won that inside the 90 but for the woodwork & of course their goalkeeper who like every other goalkeeper, seems to save their performance of the season for Manchester United.
I have always wanted to ask this. Why do people say the "woodwork" stopped shots? When you hit the posts or crossbar, I don't even think that counts as a shoot on target. So when you hit the woodwork, isn't that just missing, unless it ricochets in?

Some of these free transfers aren’t working out due to the crazy wages the recipients get.

I have always wanted to ask this. Why do people say the "woodwork" stopped shots? When you hit the posts or crossbar, I don't even think that counts as a shoot on target. So when you hit the woodwork, isn't that just missing, unless it ricochets in?

giphy.gif

I genuinely don't know, when someone hits the post or crossbar while it is a miss I personally wouldn't class it as one, I know that doesn't really make sense but I'd group it more with a save than a miss. Personally for me, I'd consider hitting any part of the goal or it's frame as being on target regardless of whether it goes in or not.

As far as the bookmakers are concerned & I know this to my own misfortune, shots that strike the crossbar or post aren't classed as being on target as the goalkeeper wasn't required to make a stop & I believe that is the criteria for it being classed as on target for them anyway. I'm also not sure if a goalkeeper tips the ball over or wide, however upon the replay it looks like it was going wide or over anyway, I don't know if that's classed as on target or not.

Or likewise if someone shoots & it's going in, but a defender blocks it on the line.. it probably depends which website/company is doing the statistical analysis.

giphy.gif

I genuinely don't know, when someone hits the post or crossbar while it is a miss I personally wouldn't class it as one, I know that doesn't really make sense but I'd group it more with a save than a miss. Personally for me, I'd consider hitting any part of the goal or it's frame as being on target regardless of whether it goes in or not.

As far as the bookmakers are concerned & I know this to my own misfortune, shots that strike the crossbar or post aren't classed as being on target as the goalkeeper wasn't required to make a stop & I believe that is the criteria for it being classed as on target for them anyway. I'm also not sure if a goalkeeper tips the ball over or wide, however upon the replay it looks like it was going wide or over anyway, I don't know if that's classed as on target or not.

Or likewise if someone shoots & it's going in, but a defender blocks it on the line.. it probably depends which website/company is doing the statistical analysis.
This is better answer then I could have possibly hoped for. Thanks man for the legit response and I definitely see your point. :highfive:

Reactions: B
Very sad to see his woes, what a player, if you could take him for 1 season in his prime at his absolute best he's easily one of the greatest attacking midfielders ever.

It's a shame Messi was just a little behind him in terms of his development because seeing a prime Ronaldinho with Messi in his mid-twenties when he'd become a goal machine would have been incredible.
He didn’t have the same application/dedication as Messi and Ronaldo, and therefore didn’t have as great or as long a career, but at his best he was as good as them IMO.

He didn’t have the same application/dedication as Messi and Ronaldo, and therefore didn’t have as great or as long a career, but at his best he was as good as them IMO.

I don't think he enjoyed the non-football training aspect of the game as much as others, combined with him maybe enjoying the social aspect of living in Barcelona a little too much, by the time he left to join AC Milan he was nowhere near the same level of player.. still good & could occasionally pull off a moment of brilliance, but nowhere near as consistent.

At his peak, when he was ripped, explosive, fast & unpredictable I'd without question have him alongside the all-time greats. His peak only lasted maybe 5 or 6 years between his time at PSG & Barcelona arguably, but I'd agree completely, at his best he is equally as good if not better.

While longevity is a factor when considering all-time greats, I don't consider it the defining factor. Some footballers only need 4-6 years to leave a lasting impression of their greatness & for me Ronaldinho falls into that category.

I don't think he enjoyed the non-football training aspect of the game as much as others, combined with him maybe enjoying the social aspect of living in Barcelona a little too much, by the time he left to join AC Milan he was nowhere near the same level of player.. still good & could occasionally pull off a moment of brilliance, but nowhere near as consistent.

At his peak, when he was ripped, explosive, fast & unpredictable I'd without question have him alongside the all-time greats. His peak only lasted maybe 5 or 6 years between his time at PSG & Barcelona arguably, but I'd agree completely, at his best he is equally as good if not better.

While longevity is a factor when considering all-time greats, I don't consider it the defining factor. Some footballers only need 4-6 years to leave a lasting impression of their greatness & for me Ronaldinho falls into that category.
I will never forget out of shape Ronaldinho dribbling defenders at AC Milan. :hehe:

Where Ronaldo Classic was ravaged by injuries, Ronaldinho felt most responsible for his own demise. But at their peaks, both rival Messi as the best pure talents I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I will never forget out of shape Ronaldinho dribbling defending at AC Milan. :hehe:

Where Ronaldo Classic was ravaged by injuries, Ronaldinho felt most responsible for his own demise. But at their peaks, both rival Messi as the best pure talents I have ever seen.

By the time he'd got to AC Milan he'd lost his explosiveness completely & while he could still dribble & beat guys, but he didn't have that pace & speed any longer that once he'd beat them, they stayed beat.. most of the time if he didn't use his time well they'd catch him up again.

Pretty much, he cruised on his natural ability & by the time he got to 28/29 from the outside looking in it seemed like he didn't maybe put the work in necessary to maintain yourself as you start to get older.

Ronaldo is another one, what a player, if not for those horrific knee injuries his goalscoring record would probably have been equal to if not better than Cristiano Ronaldo & Messi's over the course of his career considering he was scoring as many goals as he played games from he was 17-18 years old.

Wolves are out of the Europa after losing 1-0 to Sevilla. :csad:

The CL quarters begin today. Atalanta currently playing PSG.

Atalanta just took the lead!

Still 1-0 with 10 minutes left!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"