The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will take a few years before we really see Newcastle become a proper team though. Don't forget City spent a couple of so-so years early on slowly building their rep, managers like Mancini giving them some success and then later Pellegrini and Pep building on that. Initially City were just kinda buying 'rejects' from the other top teams but eventually they hit that level where they could attract huge names from other leagues.

I think it will take a few years before we really see Newcastle become a proper team though. Don't forget City spent a couple of so-so years early on slowly building their rep, managers like Mancini giving them some success and then later Pellegrini and Pep building on that. Initially City were just kinda buying 'rejects' from the other top teams but eventually they hit that level where they could attract huge names from other leagues.

Yeah both City and Chelsea took a while before they really started to dominate like now but they both went through a few managers and goodness knows how many players to get it right but the main thing is now Newcastle will be taken seriously again as a major player, even if it doesnt quite work straight away they will be able to keep coming back and try and try again, where as at the moment they just exist without any real hope of catching the top 6 let alone making a CL appearance. Maybe Sven is watching re-runs of Byker Grove and with Ant and Dec blasting out of his car as we speak getting ready for his return.

Good luck to @Iceman but yeah seeing people dancing in the street about this left me feeling abit....uneasy.
I get all the fans celebrating Ashley out after 14 years (especially without being able to clear his name at the last minute - he can be remembered for all time as the **** stain he was for football) and Staveley in as the new face of the club (already been saying many of the right things), but also I think the PL should have insisted on MBS ****ing off. Hopefully this association is used to put pressure on the Saudi regime when they cross any lines on human rights rather than allowing them to sportswash themselves.

Yeah both City and Chelsea took a while before they really started to dominate like now but they both went through a few managers and goodness knows how many players to get it right but the main thing is now Newcastle will be taken seriously again as a major player, even if it doesnt quite work straight away they will be able to keep coming back and try and try again, where as at the moment they just exist without any real hope of catching the top 6 let alone making a CL appearance. Maybe Sven is watching re-runs of Byker Grove and with Ant and Dec blasting out of his car as we speak getting ready for his return.
Yeah, first job is just avoiding relegation and getting someone in to undo some of the damage of Bruce. Nothing too glamorous needed right now.

Yeah, I'm sure we will go through this rejects phase for a while.

Then again, from where you are now, it wouldn't necessarily be that bad for you to get a top team manager reject like Lampard or Pirlo, then you make some signings like Lingard and Milner and the project takes off. :p Heck maybe you can even sign Sterling - for a team like Newcastle that would be a big signing and someone they might actually splash the cash for.

I have a feeling we will here a lot about 3 - 5 year "projects" with Newcastle over the coming months and all sorts of names thrown about, an exciting time for them at last with some actual possibilities for them.

Such a shame you are now a West Ham fan. :o:D

Then again, from where you are now, it wouldn't necessarily be that bad for you to get a top team manager reject like Lampard or Pirlo, then you make some signings like Lingard and Milner and the project takes off. :p Heck maybe you can even sign Sterling - for a team like Newcastle that would be a big signing and someone they might actually splash the cash for.
Those names are huge for a club like us right now lol. Probably hard to comprehend for people who are used to supporting the current top teams. :D

From what Staveley has been saying it feels like she and her team will have the right long term, slow-and-steady infrastructure/foundation based approach. Makes such a change having a cheerful, open, ambitious, friendly voice from within the club compared to the Ashley era.

I have a feeling we will here a lot about 3 - 5 year "projects" with Newcastle over the coming months and all sorts of names thrown about, an exciting time for them at last with some actual possibilities for them.

Such a shame you are now a West Ham fan. :o:D
Ha, I'm really enjoying going to West Ham matches and been getting in touch with many old friends who support West Ham and we can share season tickets around and keep the conversation and banter going year round. It's worked out better than I expected. I go past the stadium pretty much every day since I moved here 5 and a bit years ago so I definitely feel I've developed a connection to the club even more so than growing up around West ham supporters.

I really enjoy speculation (which is a big part of what the Hype is about albeit for CB-related stuff) as much as results and Ashley killed off all excitement from even the most positive fans. It felt like we were amongst the top clubs when we bought Alan Shearer for £15m (1996). It then took 9 more years to pay £1m more for Owen (2005) and then a 14 year wait and we broke it with bloody Joelinton (2019) during a time of a lot of transfer price inflation. There's no other team including all the relegation clubs in that situation and it could have been 23 years if we'd paid a million less for Owen.

We'll see how many Utd supporters remain enthusiastic after the Glazers are bought out by Ashley for the next 14 years and the managerial job becomes a a job time share on a 20 year contract between Ole, Pardew and Steve Bruce! :hehe:

Ha, I'm really enjoying going to West Ham matches and been getting in touch with many old friends who support West Ham and we can share season tickets around and keep the conversation and banter going year round. It's worked out better than I expected. I go past the stadium pretty much every day since I moved here 5 and a bit years ago so I definitely feel I've developed a connection to the club even more so than growing up around West ham supporters.

I really enjoy speculation (which is a big part of what the Hype is about albeit for CB-related stuff) as much as results and Ashley killed off all excitement from even the most positive fans. It felt like we were amongst the top clubs when we bought Alan Shearer for £15m (1996). It then took 9 more years to pay £1m more for Owen (2005) and then a 14 year wait and we broke it with bloody Joelinton (2019) during a time of a lot of transfer price inflation. There's no other team including all the relegation clubs in that situation and it could have been 23 years if we'd paid a million less for Owen.

We'll see how many Utd supporters remain enthusiastic after the Glazers are bought out by Ashley for the next 14 years and the managerial job becomes a a job time share on a 20 year contract between Ole, Pardew and Steve Bruce! :hehe:

Enthusiasm left the building long ago, now its more morbid fascination of how much more of a mess we can make of spending millions of pounds in the process.

Can you imagine if it did happen, the outrage would be biblical. :funny:

Chilwell puts England 1 up against Andorra.

5-0 final score. Well on they way to qualification.

This this point I'd imagine most Derby fans wouldn't be unhappy with anyone buying their club if it can save them from financial ruin.

Agreed, Ashely cant compete at the highest level perhaps but if it stops your team going out of existence some common sense has to come into it but then Im not sure how much of that the average fan has.:funny:

Last edited:
So between France v Belgium earlier in the week and Scotland yesterday International week is getting more entertaining than your average Premier League week

France beat Spain in the Nations League Final with Mbappe and Benzema scoring.

Frank Lampard, Lucien Favre (Celtic), Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard all added to the rumour list for next Newcastle manager. They would all be a step up from Bruce anyway lol.

France beat Spain in the Nations League Final with Mbappe and Benzema scoring.

Glad to see Pogba picking up trophies with France at least, we are wasting his career at United so at least he has something worthwhile to show for his efforts. Might not be a major honor but there isnt many things to win with your national side but he has won most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"