The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - Part 154

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ There's an interview -- it might be in the TDKT scripts book -- where Nolan says something like "I hope boy scouts around the globe aren't taking that advice seriously. It's something I completely made up". :funny:

But if you're using your arms and hands to rub your chest, you're taking care of your arms more than not using them at all. So i wouldn't say he's..wrong.

I think the time jump is largely responsible for the clash of moods people feel. We're told by Gordon Batman can "take it", and then next thing we see Bruce chilling in Wayne Manor as a recluse. I guess we could say Batman can "take it" because all the hate and anger over 'killing' Dent is directed at a symbol. It's like they're directing their fury at a ghost because nobody knows who Batman is. They just know what he looks like.

I've been trying to make this exact point since forever, but you just articulated it way better than I've been able to. For me, that is the whole point of the ending. It's not about how Batman is such a badass that he can take it and endure anything and continue being awesome indefinitely while everyone hates him. Well, maybe a splash of that is in there cause you can't help but feel that way as you watch a Batman who's been shot and stabbed hobble to his bike and ride off into the sunset as his evades the police. But a line like "that's what I can be" is Batman directly talking about what is possible for him as a symbol. He's saying that even as an anonymous scapegoat the symbol can serve a function for Gotham, which is exactly what you said. For the whole movie Bruce feels like Batman cannot truly be a symbol of hope and is hanging everything all on Dent. Even Dent says, "One day the Batman will answer for the laws he's broken". And so he does. By making himself the bad guy, Batman removes any remaining sense of ambivalence towards lawlessness in Gotham (for the most part...as we see in TDKR the orphans still canonize him). With Dent the martyred hero, and the scary masked vigilante wanted for his murder, it's the perfect catalyst for a return to law and order. Not to mention the city still reeling from Joker's reign of terror. There's a lot of incentive to make sure all the criminals Dent put away stay locked up.

If The Joker had been in TDKR (not to bring that discussion up again), I think he would've been really depressed with how the following 8 years went and boring things became. Maybe even catatonic, heh.

^ There's an interview -- it might be in the TDKT scripts book -- where Nolan says something like "I hope boy scouts around the globe aren't taking that advice seriously. It's something I completely made up". :funny:

That's the price he pays for making his movies seem so realistic. :hehe:

I think when it comes to the defining scene of each film it's:

BB - The training montage.

TDK - The interrogation room scene.

TDKR - This one is a toss up, it's either the first encounter with Batman and Bane or Bruce making the climb.

Even though i agree with what Zack said about Marvel, this is one of the best disses i've heard in a while (right at the end there)..

Yeah, I’m sitting here and I’m listening to you and I’m thinking, “Do I want to fire some shots at DC right now, at Zack Snyder?” I read some of those comments where he said something about Batman and Superman, I can’t remember where I read that, somewhere… Something about, “It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.” And I was like, “Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original.” But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russos are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.

From the Winter Soldier himself

It's definitely a burn. I do think it's interesting how it seems to be the Marvel actors that really drink the brand Kool-Aid and seem to get very fanboy-ish about the DC vs. Marvel thing. Whereas I can't see guys like Cavill or Affleck taking blatant shots at Marvel talent.

I totally get what Snyder was trying to say about Ant-Man, it was more about how Batman and Superman are just more timeless and iconic characters which is pretty much inarguable, and his words got twisted. But if Snyder really wants to take a page out of Nolan's book- keep it classy. Don't give the competition ammo to use against you.

Then again, all the back and forth stuff is clickbait fodder and easy headlines. I can only imagine this stuff will get more heated next year with Civil War and BvS being compared.

Tho I really love this whole section of the film, that is some bad advice. Arms are more at risk in cold weather than the chest. In cold temperatures, the body restricts blood flow to the limbs to concentrate blood band heat in the torso to keep the organs functioning for as long as possible. This is one reason why tissue damage and frost bite happens more often and more quickly in toes and fingers.

It was a test done by Ra's to see if Bruce could still survive while not protecting the proper areas in the cold. In the end he did prove to be his greatest student.:oldrazz:

Whereas I can't see guys like Cavill or Affleck taking blatant shots at Marvel talent.
They don't have to. Zack Snyder does it for them.

I totally get what Snyder was trying to say about Ant-Man, it was more about how Batman and Superman are just more timeless and iconic characters which is pretty much inarguable
That part is not what annoys people, because as you said it's inarguable. It's calling Ant-Man flavor of the week.

What's so silly about that is if you go back four years, Captain America and Thor would be flavor-of-the-week too. In fact, he made a similar diss at Thor back in 2013.

It's short sighted and reductive. Because Ant-Man has more then made back its budget, is a critical success and will be part of Civil War and Infinity War and possible sequels to boot. Under no rational definition can that be deemed flavor-of-the-week.

Snyder thinks he is the successor to Nolan, but the Russo brothers seem to fit the bill better.

I think all this Marvel vs DC posturing is pretty juvenile. I mean, yeah I expect this from the fans but c'mon guys. Have some class.

Even though i agree with what Zack said about Marvel, this is one of the best disses i've heard in a while (right at the end there)..

From the Winter Soldier himself

I mean... Kind of a ****** diss since Nolan was a writer and producer on the movie...

Nah, man. That diss rocked! He ****in nailed Snyder soooo good!

They don't have to. Zack Snyder does it for them.

That part is not what annoys people, because as you said it's inarguable. It's calling Ant-Man flavor of the week.

What's so silly about that is if you go back four years, Captain America and Thor would be flavor-of-the-week too. In fact, he made a similar diss at Thor back in 2013.

It's short sighted and reductive. Because Ant-Man has more then made back its budget, is a critical success and will be part of Civil War and Infinity War and possible sequels to boot. Under no rational definition can that be deemed flavor-of-the-week.

:up:

vote for fun people

shauner111 vs Black Narcissus http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=504513

Shauner, I'm surprised you signed up for that. Didn't think the popularity contests of Community were your type of thing.

I mean... Kind of a ****** diss since Nolan was a writer and producer on the movie...

What difference does that make? How much creative input in MOS was his? I mean he was against one of the most controversial elements of that movie, Superman killing Zod. And being producer doesn't automatically mean you have a large creative input. Tim Burton was producer of Batman Forever for example. I doubt much of what went into that movie was him. If anything at all.

Last edited:
What difference does that make?

The difference that you can't mimic something from someone who was actively involved in the creation of the new thing. And the fact one of the biggest elements is something he initially disagreed with drives the point it isn't mimicking him even further.

The difference that you can't mimic something from someone who was actively involved in the creation of the new thing.

Of course you can. The fact that you're trying to make it feel like their movies, even going so far as to get them creatively involved so it will feel like their movies, is totally trying to mimic their style and tone. If I want to mimic someone's style for something, what better way to do it than get help from that very person?

It's the highest form of flattery to Nolan as an artist and film maker that another director wants his movie to be like his, and asks for his help with that. But no matter what way you look at it, the fact is Snyder and Co. went to Nolan because they wanted their movie to be like his TDK trilogy. That's why it's valid what Sebastian said about mimicking the Nolan movies. The fact that Snyder got Nolan creatively involved to help him do that doesn't make a difference.

And the fact one of the biggest elements is something he initially disagreed with drives the point it isn't mimicking him even further.

Or it suggests that the burn Sebastian gave is genuine since the fact Nolan disagreed with something as big as that, then who knows what else he didn't agree with or was not his idea. Questions how much creative input was his, or just things Snyder and Goyer cooked up. Even though I know Snyder credits Nolan as being the founder of the DCCU.

Last edited:
LOL i didn't sign up. I got a random email saying i was in the match.

LOL i didn't sign up. I got a random email saying i was in the match.

Ah I see. I didn't think it was your cup of tea. That must mean they put you into it without your consent. Why would they do something like that. I thought you had to sign yourself up to be a part of those death matches.

It's just an excuse to diss me over and over for an entire thread, probably. :hehe:

They're welcome to it. As long as they're having fun. It means nothing anyway.

Why would they do something like that. I thought you had to sign yourself up to be a part of those death matches.

Because I placed a rule where you can nominate Hypesters. Only one the ones with the highest nominations get in. It evens the playing field and makes things a lot more interesting. :batman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"