The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - Part 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's more:

Jett said:
Don't care about Batman being the smartest person in the room with the JL. At the end of the day, he'd be obsolete in a planet with superpowered beings. Sorry, the JL and Batman team-ups with superheroes just aren't my thing -- and I worry it won't be the thing for many of the mainstream audience. Just think about what they've been used to seeing with Batman on film for over 25 years.
Jett said:
The mainstream audience -- which makes up 95% plus of the audience for this film -- didn't grow up watching JUSTICE LEAGUE or reading any of the JL comics with Batman. That argument doesn't float with me. I showed my wife the 3rd trailer and her repsonse was, "Batman's fighing a monster now? Really? Ugh." This is my fear that the mainstream will have.

This is the one that is making me laugh:

Jett said:
I don't buy the argument of "Well, it works with THE AVENGERS." This is apples and oranges. For over 25 years, Batman on film has existed in his own world without superpowered beings and villains (sans Mr. Freeze and PI in B&R -- and look how that did).

Another thing that's bothering me...there is like NO mainstream buzz about this film. None.
:hehe:

Anyways, I'm done. I was just interested, since I haven't heard from him in years. Looks like it's the same ol' Jett.

I have no problems with people changing their minds, but when someone was so hardcore in their convictions about how Batman should be portrayed on film, to the point of outright banning people who just had a difference of opinion, it comes as a HUGE surprise that he would be fine with it now. He was outright tyrannical with the way he treated people on his forum, so sure, it's not a crime to do so, but it's pretty shocking, especially with how he handled himself in the past.

I wasn't aware that he'd banned people to be fair. Well I mys of felt his wrath once for calling him out on something so I think there are times he loses it lol although he didn't ban me.

I haven't looked at the boards in years, haha. I mean, he said some of the same stuff on the latest podcast, the thing about his wife's reaction and stuff.

I mean, I can relate. I've showed my gf the BvS trailers and she gets turned off by how video gamey it looks. I'm hoping the movie will surprise her, but as of now her excitement level is at 0. And she was totally all aboard the Bat-hype train during the trilogy. And she likes Ben Affleck too.

I kinda agree with him. I think people will adapt though, especially in this cross-over age and if the general audience likes this movie then they'll be on board for more. It's that simple. So i dont agree with him there. But i agree that it's silly to have Batman in a Justice League. It never made much sense to me. Just like Hawkeye makes no sense, or Black Widow for that matter, in Avengers.

Is there mainstream buzz around this film? Im actually not sure. I dont really see it anywhere (maybe it's because the focus is still on Star Wars). I dont see the media hyping it, yet. Most of the general audience has no idea this movie is coming and some of the general fans who may have read the odd Batman comic, are actually asking people why Batman and Superman would fight. But i mainly see non-comic geeks unaware of this movie even though there's 3 trailers out. It's weird.

There are many films with a solo Batman this is just the next step. In the future I imagine there'll be solo Batman movies where he exists in his own universe again but we have had enough of those. I for one am very excited about Batman teaming up with other heroes, it's time for a new step on film.

I'm looking forward to the DCEU special on Jan. 19th. Feels like a bit of a throwback to the days when they'd air these specials to promote movies. I remember watching ones for Returns and Forever. I think the marketing assault will be in full force within a few weeks.

Honestly, I love WB as a studio. They've plenty a lot of mistakes with their DC properties for sure, but when you really look at everything they've put out, they've done a lot of ballsy things too that were risks and paid off.

I honestly think they've taken a huge risk in trusting arguably one of the most important movies in the history of the studio to Zack Snyder, given his track record at the box office and reputation has been shaky in recent years. I really do hope it pays off for them, but there is definitely an element of "this could either be amazing or a total disaster" that I think a lot of people are feeling- but that curiosity will probably end up making a lot of people go out and see for themselves.

March is going to be very interesting.

I'm looking forward to the DCEU special on Jan. 19th. Feels like a bit of a throwback to the days when they'd air these specials to promote movies. I remember watching ones for Returns and Forever. I think the marketing assault will be in full force within a few weeks.

Honestly, I love WB as a studio. They've plenty a lot of mistakes with their DC properties for sure, but when you really look at everything they've put out, they've done a lot of ballsy things too that were risks and paid off.

I honestly think they've taken a huge risk in trusting arguably one of the most important movies in the history of the studio to Zack Snyder, given his track record at the box office and reputation has been shaky in recent years. I really do hope it pays off for them, but there is definitely an element of "this could either be amazing or a total disaster" that I think a lot of people are feeling- but that curiosity will probably end up making a lot of people go out and see for themselves.

I hope I get to see it been in the UK.

There stuff is definitely more risky, I mean look at Suicide Squad I'm not sure that would happen at another studio.

I agree I love Snyder myself but he hasn't really made a smash at the box office so it is surprising.

Dat cape
tumblr_nt73pl8KV91r2kjqxo1_540.gif

That snow and dat cape look real. Ugh. Should be computer generated.

Well, I think Jan. 19th may be the jump off date. It has two trailer, sorry but the very first one was a teaser-trailer. So we will get one more trailer I'm sure. Plus, I hear stores like Toy R Us are already getting in toys and merchandise. The POP vinyls are showing up I here, though I cannot confirm this myself for my own area's retailers. And I cannot speak for the general audience. Keep in mind we're in early January, look at TV... all on break right now more or less. The economy is "KINDA" like that after New Years. Lots of things are on rest.

But Zack Snyder has had some box office success.
Dawn of the Dead - Worldwide gross of $102 million on a $20 million budget.

300 - Worldwide gross of $456 million on a $65 million budget, in addition it broke a few box office records for its time for highest opening weekend in March and spring. It's the 3rd biggest opening Rated-R film. It set an IMAX record opening weekend.

Man of Steel - Worldwide gross of $668 million on a $225 million budget. It was WB's third highest advance screening and #1 June weekend opening, until Jurassic World usurped it.

Say what you will, those are the facts that these films were financially good, I may even add that MoS made $160 million just from merchandise.

Watched the trilogy in one sitting today. Damn I love these movies.

Yeah, WB definitely doesn't play it safe with these properties. Its had some wonderful results, and some disasterous ones.

Say what you will, those are the facts that these films were financially good, I may even add that MoS made $160 million just from merchandise.

Fair enough, I guess what I meant was he hasn't yet made a movie that's made the type of money they're looking for with BvS and he's had some 'barely' profitable big budget films in Watchmen and Suckerpunch. But he's had his successes too.

And if someone got wet, he was able to dry them off with that towel.

I love the leathery look too, but hard to argue with this:

Batman-Begins.gif

Man, Nolan had some great imagery in his films. Screw the rhetoric that he never delivered iconic images that's now fashionable to say.

Doesn't get any better than that cape. Superman and Thor have nice capes too, but that one? The darn thing was poetry in motion. Leather can't compare to shots of Batman's cape moving while he's on top of a roof or riding the batpod. The thing was glorious.

Cloth cape >>> leather cape.

I've always preferred the cloth cape. The leather ones were always too heavy. They weren't fluid enough. Nolan's was dynamic.

I've always preferred the cloth cape. The leather ones were always too heavy. They weren't fluid enough. Nolan's was dynamic.

:up:

Totally agree there, it's like the difference between the capes in Superman Returns and Man of Steel. The cloth cape everytime. I am bias cause I'm more Superman but the Man of Steel cape is the best cape I've seen in a CBM period, probably say Nolan's Batman's capes are a close second though.

Watched the trilogy in one sitting today. Damn I love these movies.

I am planning to watch the trilogy again soon, it's been a while since I've sat and watched all three. Hopefully get round to this before I see Batman v Superman.

Man, Nolan had some great imagery in his films. Screw the rhetoric that he never delivered iconic images that's now fashionable to say.

To be fair, there were a bunch of fans who said that all along. And they were wrong, all along. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"