The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - Part 153

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank battles are boring and the boss battles are so disappointing. Then again, the games haven’t had the best boss fights with the exception of Origins; the boss fight with Bane in Asylum was just surprisingly bad.

The tank battles are boring and the boss battles are so disappointing. Then again, the games haven’t had the best boss fights with the exception of Origins; the boss fight with Bane in Asylum was just surprisingly bad.

Bane was surprisingly bad in both Rocksteady games. Origins redeemed him big time. Two Face just needs that now since he's been horribly wasted in both games he's been in.

So Leto's damaged tattoo is better than the finale of B89?

Absolutely. As bad as that eye sore tattoo is it's better than Batman killing Joker, and to make it worse he did it because Joker killed his parents. An ugly tattoo can't compete with two horrible pieces of character writing like that.

Don't get me wrong that doesn't make the tattoo in any way good. It's just something else is worse than it.

Last edited:
Origins Bane is easily the best adaptation of Bane outside of the comics. So badass.

How do you think it holds up compared to the other games? I liked it, but I have to say I still think I prefer City and Origins.

It's between AA and AC for me. I thought the story was fantastic, gameplay improved but like some of you said, the tank battles gets pretty tedious.

AA
AK
AC
AO

I beat Arkham Knight over the weekend. It definitely is not a perfect game but I think in some ways it is the best of the series. The story has some disappointing bits to it but it is more focused than Arkham City and as a whole revolves around Batman himself in a way the other games didn't. And for the most part pretty daring and "final" as a narrative which in itself is commendable despite the caveats. I dug most of the side missions as well, which I felt was able to utilize certain villains in ways that did not detract from the main plot like in City. The batmobile stuff could be clunky and tedious but beyond that it played as well as the others if not better (loved the dual gameplay). Exploring the bulk of Gotham with the skyscrapers and the like was exactly what I've wanted out of a Batman game. There is such a history to Rocksteady's Gotham. You can feel the generations of decay in its design; the modern neon towers literally built atop the desolate remains of an ancient city.

I'm against the death penalty but you'd think by this stage Batman would rather snap his neck than see him imprisoned + breakout dozens of times.

Diane Lane is mama Kent. Marisa Tomei is aunt May. The next Martha Wayne better be hot.

Ariana Grande will be the next Martha Wayne.

I'm against the death penalty but you'd think by this stage Batman would rather snap his neck than see him imprisoned + breakout dozens of times.

I assume you're talking about Joker here. What you bring up is the inherent problem with taking the tone to so dark a place that the Joker becomes such an overwhelmingly evil force that makes Batman seem utterly inept. This can be a fascinating question to explore in a Batman story, as The Dark Knight did so well, but there is a limit. When you have Joker break out every couple of issues and kill another thousand people it becomes a narrative problem because it stretches Batman as a character passed the point of credulity.

I think a good trade-off solution to this problem is to limit Joker's use. He is a chaotic entity more closely akin to a hurricane than your average hoodlum and natural disasters cease to be so shocking when they happen to your city every day. That's why I'm glad it turned out that Joker played no part in Dark Knight Rises. He was like a demon that abruptly appears and disappears in the previous movie and so it worked to keep that experience contained to allow other threats to have their place. Even though we all know he's still out there and will inevitably resurface to play the game again with Batman.

I assume you're talking about Joker here. What you bring up is the inherent problem with taking the tone to so dark a place that the Joker becomes such an overwhelmingly evil force that makes Batman seem utterly inept. This can be a fascinating question to explore in a Batman story, as The Dark Knight did so well, but there is a limit. When you have Joker break out every couple of issues and kill another thousand people it becomes a narrative problem because it stretches Batman as a character passed the point of credulity.

I think a good trade-off solution to this problem is to limit Joker's use. He is a chaotic entity more closely akin to a hurricane than your average hoodlum and natural disasters cease to be so shocking when they happen to your city every day. That's why I'm glad it turned out that Joker played no part in Dark Knight Rises. He was like a demon that abruptly appears and disappears in the previous movie and so it worked to keep that experience contained to allow other threats to have their place. Even though we all know he's still out there and will inevitably resurface to play the game again with Batman.
I agree with you. It's a problem with the writing. Sometimes it can get repetitive. Joker is locked up, escapes, locked back up in Arkham, escapes...and it goes on and on. Batmans rules become far-fetched or eye rolling, and so it should probably lead to a Frank Miller type ending between the two of them if they're going to keep breaking the Joker out. I personally like the idea of Joker rotting in Arkham for a very long time, until he breaks out maybe once or twice (no more). And when that happens, he's a little older. I hope that's what they're doing with Leto. But this over and over thing, it ruins Batman. Nolan did it well. He didn't kill Joker off, he threw him in Arkham, but he didn't have him escape. It was left to the imagination. "Will he escape?" Maybe not, probably. It's just as eerie of a thought as his origin or how he ended up in Gotham, what he's doing in his cell and what kind of murders he committed before robbing that bank. A character who arrives on that street corner, almost like a demon snapped his fingers and there he was. His exit is equally chilling, laughing maniacally (hanging upside down like a demonic symbol) after causing all this chaos. He's captured and taken to the asylum where he would haunt that place for God knows how long. And we know this demon has tricks up its sleeve.

I'm sorry but you can say that about just about everyone in Batman's rogues gallery. 95% of them are killers, psychos, crime lords etc. He defeats them. Locks them up. They escape and do it again and again and again. That is not just confined to the Joker just because he's the worst of them all. Arkham Asylum is a revolving door for more than the just Joker.

It's just a result of perpetual serialized storytelling. We love these characters, so writers have to keep bringing them back. Hence Arkham is a revolving door.

It's not confined to the Joker, and i guess it needs to happen in that medium. I dont have a problem with it, but it's not the greatest way to tell the story. It puts Batman in a position where fans question him "after all this time, you now look stupid by not killing him". And they're right. But then again, im not a massive comic book reader. I have my favorites and favorite eras but i just dont read comics that much. If i had the choice, id rather watch a good Batman movie than sit by a comic any day. Which leads me to my point that Nolan handled the Joker/Batman rivalry really well. Im excited to see where Ayer and Affleck take it.

I agree. The nature of the medium is what defines these conundrums. It would be certainly interesting to take the comics in real time and really see how many times has X villain escaped from Arkham/Blackgate. Because the stories have been segmented by eras and there have been multiple crisis resetting and rebooting the fictional universe. The thing its it feels like this always happens, because for us reading the material, it does. It adds to some mythological feeling.

But that's the thing, the Nolan trilogy was finite. It didn't went Ad Infinitum as the comics go. And it worked in benefit for the tone of verisimilitude Nolan was trying to reach.

That's why it helps for Batman to have a psychological, not a logical, aversion to killing. If Bruce is somewhat psychologically broken by the tragedy he's experienced, it makes sense for him not to kill even when it might appear to be the best course of action.

Which leads me to my point that Nolan handled the Joker/Batman rivalry really well. Im excited to see where Ayer and Affleck take it.

No argument that he handled the Joker/Batman rivalry well, but lets not pretend the reason it wasn't in TDKR is because Heath had passed away.

I think we all know that Joker would have been back for round 2 if Heath had still been alive. Even David Goyer said it's a no brainer that Joker would have been back for the third movie.

I don't think Batman would have killed him in Rises either.

Nolan doesn't kill off villains like Joker, only villains like Ra's, Bane, Two-Face, Talia....

No argument that he handled the Joker/Batman rivalry well, but lets not pretend the reason it wasn't in TDKR is because Heath had passed away.

I think we all know that Joker would have been back for round 2 if Heath had still been alive. Even David Goyer said it's a no brainer that Joker would have been back for the third movie.

I don't think Batman would have killed him in Rises either.
He would have been in TDKR but i would make a gigantic bet that he would have been locked up for the whole movie. And if he were to escape, it would have been at the end of the movie, leaving his future open-ended, where nobody sees where he went "did he leave gotham? is he hiding in Gotham?". Nolan had Joker escape, but not inside Arkham. Nolan would not have killed Joker in the third, but i would bet just about anything that he would not have left his cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"