9.07 - Kandor - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Figured as much, seeing as we've already seen that ability in Apocalypse. It's just the rest of the episode that didn't appeal to me so much.

I loved everything about this episode. Usually episodes without Lois seem to be kind of 'missing' something, but I didn't mind her not being in this one. I prefer the more "Superman"-like episodes than the romance shipper nonsense.

The Smallville writers just provided this information via Twitter:

Jor El travelled to earth via portals (established in RELIC and LARA) which traverse time and space...This allowed him to come to earth in the 60's (RELIC) and drop off the orb and stones of knowledge at an earlier time in Earth's history.

http://twitter.com/SV_Writers

yea i posted it last night also you guys should take a look at the ksite forum post i posted above. The poster made a very logical thoughts on how the timelines of events on krypton/earth/ the orb/crystals of knowledge go for the show.

triplet, I do think you're a little lenient with the grading again, but it's still enjoyable to read your reviews and the thoughts that went into it.

yea once again another solid written review trip. You know how i enjoy reading yours. I cant even bother with other reviewers on smallville.

triplet, I do think you're a little lenient with the grading again, but it's still enjoyable to read your reviews and the thoughts that went into it.

Well, I had to compare the episode and my enjoyment level to previous episodes this season, I liked it more than the ones I gave a 4.5, so it's probably on the low end of 5.0...

yea once again another solid written review trip. You know how i enjoy reading yours. I cant even bother with other reviewers on smallville.

Thanks.

Well, I had to compare the episode and my enjoyment level to previous episodes this season, I liked it more than the ones I gave a 4.5, so it's probably on the low end of 5.0...

Thanks.
NICE REVIW TRIPLET. I think the Zod costume was suppose to mirror what he wears in World of New Krypton. Can't wait to see oyur Idol review

As good as he was as Jor-El, I don't think that casting Julian Sands was the perfect choice. While I love the gravitas of his voice and performance, he doesn't look a thing like Tom Welling. We'd previously seen Jor-El, sort of, back in 'Relic' and he looked enough like Clark that they could be confused for one another (of course it helped that Tom Welling played the part). While I can buy him not being Tom Welling in old age make-up, that would look hokey, but looking this different? I'm not sure that was the best choice. And Julian's very careful and very theatrical enunciation isn't really all that much like the much rougher timber of the AI version of Jor-El as performed by Terrance Stamp. I think he's probably too old as well..

I think it was stupid from TPTB to pretend Clark looked exactly like his father, they made the right call this time, Julian did a great job with his portrayal.

Too many times the "Smallville" powers-that-be chose looks over skill and the show suffered for it, I won't name names or point fingers, but I think the current show runners recognize, the way that Al Gough and Miles Millar I don't think ever did, that sometimes LOOKING good for the part isn't always the same as BEING good for the part.

Come on trip, most of the time casting choices have been good IMO, even some of the "eye candy" did a decent job. :hehe:

I'm not sure I liked James Philpott's version of the Kryptonian swirling rings thingy that had originated in the original Christopher Reeve films. I don't think they read well and I didn't see the point, really... It seems a waste of time and effort. As much as I love when they follow the design ideas of previous iterations of the Superman story, I'm not sure they always need to be slavishly so.

Many fans liked the rings, it was a nice homage, completely worth it IMO.

As always, your reviews are the best, thanks again. :up:

:super:

Last edited:
i have to agree with mike i havent really hated any guest star/reacourring guest on the show. Some have been excelent picks. Sure a few here and there we nothing more then eye candy to either us men or for you women out there.

the 1930s reference was a nice nod but seemed too forced. As big of a Clois fan I am, they've only been drawn to each other romantically since what...season 8? That's hardly the "1930s"

Seemed like a joke - a shout-out to the audience referring to "Noir".

another thing I didn't understand was that apparantly there's blue kryptonite on Krypton? I thought all kryptonite (no matter the color) were remnants of Clark's homeworld? It became radioactive when Krypton blew up so any kryptonite that Jor-El had was basically worthless unless it's on Earth...

We're on Earth. We have radioactive materials here. If Earth were to blow up, that radioactive material would be sent out into space. Additional Earth matter might also become radioactive in the process. Same for Krypton, one would assume.

2ihnev9.jpg

My theory about that key Jor-EL hidden in the Kent farm...

Based on the limited knowledge we've been given of Lois visions of the future I believe that Clark will lose his powers at some point ...The key Jor-El hid will be able to give Clark his powers back...
In terms of "Kandor," I believe that once Jor-EL had learned of Clark, he contemplated using the key to regain his own powers under the yellow sun in case he felt the need to defend his son with force.

That's... actually not a bad theory. A safety measure in case he needed to undo the Blue K's effect and regain his powers.

Yeah - or maybe it's a special greenK-based device that temporarily or permanently GIVES Kryptonian powers (under the yellow sun) to either humans or Kryptonians.

Many fans liked the rings, it was a nice homage, completely worth it IMO.

The rings were cool.

can anyone please post an image of Clark holding Jor-El in his arms from this episode ?

I absolutely loved the Commentary for "Kandor" with Callum Blue, Al Septien & Turi Meyer. It really clears up some things.

1. Alia powers under a yellow sun - According to Al & Turi she was the only solider that was experimented on in a worst case scenario to have her powers under a yellow Sun.

2. Why Tom didn't play a young Jor-El - I never had a problem with Sands being casted as Jor-El when it was first announced. I'm glad Al & Turi explain that for the emotional scene at the end between Jor-El and Clark it would've been very chessy seeing Tom play both parts and it probably wouldn't have been as epic as it turned out. (I'm not saying Tom couldn't have done the duel role, we've seen that he's more than capable (Bizarro, Red-K Kal, young Jor-El etc... and I'm sure he'd have done a great job as always. However I really liked Julian Sands performance especially the flashback sequences on Krypton and all the scenes with Zod.)

I greatly enjoyed Callum comments on how he approached portraying Zod it really adds some great insight into how he showed the rise and fall of Zod through out the course of season 9 .

The Smallville writers just provided this information via Twitter:

Jor El travelled to earth via portals (established in RELIC and LARA) which traverse time and space...This allowed him to come to earth in the 60's (RELIC) and drop off the orb and stones of knowledge at an earlier time in Earth's history.

http://twitter.com/SV_Writers

You know, one would wonder then from reading that if Kryptonians possessed the ability to time travel, then why wasn't Jor el able to prevent Krypton's destruction from happening, especially if it was from a man made source (Zod)?

You know, one would wonder then from reading that if Kryptonians possessed the ability to time travel, then why wasn't Jor el able to prevent Krypton's destruction from happening, especially if it was from a man made source (Zod)?

All the portals to Earth were supposedly destroyed when all hell was breaking loose.

1. Alia powers under a yellow sun - According to Al & Turi she was the only solider that was experimented on in a worst case scenario to have her powers under a yellow Sun.

The writers should have made this clear, yeah you can infer that she is somehow different from the other clones but it would have been nice to know why she was different. Reminds me of how the writers of Heroes would explain everything, "Oh, go read the graphic novel to fully understand the episode."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"