9.03 - Rabid - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

In comics canon, both pre- and current, Oliver has never been any sort of alcoholic. Oliver has killed a man in defense of Dinah and cheated on her with a woman or two before finally marrying her. But he's never been the sort of Iron Man based alcoholic, that the show has turned him into as of the last two seasons.

In the comics, after the murder of the rapist, that almost killed Dinah. Oliver went to an asharam and refocused himself. There he met up with his son, Connor and found himself again. No alcohol involved.

Oliver's also never been a druggie. That bit of comics canon from the Red Arrow aka Arsenal aka Speedy 1, who both Dinah and Ollie helped him kick drugs from his system.

thanks for the clear up. I guess I always assumed Ollie dabbled with alcohol in the comics like in Smallville. I must have also mistaken Ollie for Tony Stark...lol

thanks for the clear up. I guess I always assumed Ollie dabbled with alcohol in the comics like in Smallville. I must have also mistaken Ollie for Tony Stark...lol

Oliver so far this season in his fall from grace story arc , is much more in line with the comic story arc of Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle. Which deals with Tony Stark's alcoholism.

Welcome.

Thus far, though the writers have pretty much nailed the womanizing traits of Ollie to a tee. Outside of that they've pulled here and there. Much as the usual SV slant on things.

yea they dont take everything from the comics, and then they add their own spin on things.

Yea I have a feeling Clark wont tell him maybe even because the current Jor-El at the fortress tells him it could alter the future
how could it alter the future if they are just younger copies and are not traveling back in krypton's past......

Another awesome episode. My cable provider has been crappy the past 3 weeks though. For some reason the CW digital signal is real choppy and I miss a lot dialogue. I'm really loving the Welling/Durance scenes and really feel that they are the best pairing the mythos has had.

I have 1 quick question though that I'm sure has been stated several times in this board but has Zod been retconned this season or something?

How did he get sent to the phatom Zone as a wraithe or whatever and sent to Kandor?

Why is he a Major and not a General?

Lol i guess that's 3 questions.

yea it has been stated before, we dont have all the details yet about this major zod. First the zod we saw before was older version and lost his body and banished to the phantom zone and was a general. This zod and the kryptonians on present day earth are some form of genetic copies of younger versions of said folks from some point prior to krypton blowing up(by a few years my guess) and for zod himself becoming a general getting banished to the phantom zone.

I only got round to watching this episode last night but have to say I really enjoyed it. Given that season 8 of Smallville ended so weakly, I didn't have high hopes for this season but it has actually started off very strongly - and I hope it continues.

My preconceptions of Rabid were not good, I thought it would be a zombie flick rip-off (which was it was, to a certain extent) that would be totally out of place in the Smallville universe. However, thanks to some neat touches throughout the episode, the explanation for the virus, and some excellent directing, they managed to pull it off.

Loved the chemistry between Lois and Clark, it's plainfully obvious every time they even look at each other that there's something between them. As actors, Welling and Durance obviously have the right chemistry to pull it off - I never really found Clark and Lana as believable. The shots of them holding each other in the rain are iconic and definitely added a lot to the Clois arc this season.

Alessandro Juliani plays Emil Hamilton very well, and makes him quite an intelligent/likeable character. I had some preconceptions of him also as I was a huge Battlestar Galactica fan and his character on that show was a hugely unsympathetic one at the end of his run. However, he definitely brings something to the Smallville table and his interactions with Chloe work well.

As far as Oliver goes, I'm not really getting into his story this season. I think the whole hitting the bottle routine has been done to death in a thousand other stories and as such I'm finding it slightly monotonous watching him go through the motions. We know he'll be low for a while and then find his way again - it's what always happens!

Enjoyed the Zod scene at the end. Just when you think he's not that bad a guy and is actually quite a fair leader, he whips out the Katana and shows you that he IS a truly villainous badass.

I presume because these kryptonians are clones of the originals, that's why they're not developing any superpowers under the yellow sun? I like how they've twisted the story so that Zod now mistakenly believes that Jor El is fully superpowered and running about the Earth - when in fact it's actually Clark. It will hopefully make their first meeting all the more explosive.

Finally, I really enjoyed the little touches - Clark using his breath to cool Lois' coffee; Clark superspeeding Emil Hamilton; Clark using his super hearing to listen in at the hospital. It took many years, but they're finally showing him using his powers in an intelligent way to progress storylines - not just to lift something very heavy or deliver a superpunch.

Looking forward to next week's episode

Yea I have a feeling Clark wont tell him maybe even because the current Jor-El at the fortress tells him it could alter the future

they're not time travellers, so I dunno what you're talkin about

Things seem to be pointing in the direction that Jor'el figured out the secret sauce formula to give kryptonians powers on earth... but this does not explain Jor'el's abilities in ?Relic? (unless that was part of the reason for his trip to earth, to see if it would work), nor does it explain how the other kryptonians we've seen have instantly had powers prior to these copies. I think had TPTB had included the concept that it takes time to charge up and get powers, this would flow well. But since that doesn't exist in the SV universe, I can only assume that sometime after the blood was taken, Jor'el figured out the magic formula, and then gave it to all kryptonians? But that doesn't sound right nor make sense since Zod would also be gifted with said potential.

Last edited:
What was wrong with the writing on Rabid?

It was a very enjoyable episode.
Not all of my problems were with the quality of the writing I'll admit, just my own personal preference in some cases, but there was still enough lazy writing going around to turn me off from the good moments this episode had.

First off, though well shot (very 28 days later, good homage), I disliked the teaser on principle. Not a big fan of flashforwards at the beginning of episodes, it's a cheap method of catching your audience's attention by dropping them in the middle of the action and leaving them to ask questions they will already have answers to when it reaches this point in the action again.

The Clois banter was fun. I liked the very quick coffee, the superbreath, and the way TW said "No" to whether he could smell smoke. That last one has always gotten a chuckle out of me whenever I rewatch the scene.

Back to Clark causing unnecessary property damage. Couldn't he just have grabbed Ollie off of his bike? Didn't enjoy this convo at all, especially the overdone JC references and Clark giving an undeserved apology. Plus, how terrible are the Metroplois PD to only be catching up to him now? I guess we get the answer to that in his next scene.

Doesn't the mansion have a panic room? And I like how these zombies somehow care about turning off the lights. They're eco-zombies! Tess' henchman is a bit of an idiot here, finding some guy mauled to death outside her office, but everything's ok because the tapping on the window was only a tree (hurr hurr). Tess is no better, thinking an unlocked door will somehow protect her. But at least we get some decent zombie slaying. It's the only time we're gonna get it this episode.

Don't like how Lois is instantly on the "nervous breakdown" train. Can't say I blame her all that much, but I wish she hadn't written the story off right away. And stop calling Clark gullible (I liked his comebacks with the Blur). BTW, who didn't guess what was gonna happen when Tess rolled over? Good makeup, and acting from CF though.

Emil certainly is trying to get cozy with Chloe (romantic or not). It's maddeningly stupid that Clark is giving Chloe the blood sample, completely bypassing a fully qualified, actual doctor/scientist who is standing right there (and when it ends up with him anyway). Emil technobabbles a bit, then it's off to the races, er hospital, in another cool moment. Didn't get the point of Chloe's "Really?" though. She said it like she just found out Clark watches Big Brother religiously. Or that he enjoyed the Mulana arc.

Even I don't think Tess is such a hardworker that she'd go to the office maybe an hour after having her staff slaughtered and her neck bitten, but the plot demands Lois get in trouble so...

Speaking of, Zombies Against Climate Change have indeed made their way to the DP and are now turning the lighting a flickering green to highlight their message. After a spirited fight in which Clark throws people 10 feet (they're indoors, so he can't punt them his usual 30) and does his bare superhumanly minimum to protect a promptly bitten Lois, they make with the googleys and Clark channels his inner Baywatch.

Metropolis PD, now extra ****ty. Of course, no fall from grace is complete without one night stands with strangers. A little hint of the pity party to come and then the most obvious camera ever falls off his belt (seriously, how could he have missed that thing?). Idiot cop pulls a hissy fit, Ollie is an ass, and scene.

Babble Babble Technobabble. Only interesting part in this scene is the callback to Davis. And if the Zombie makeup is supposed to evoke Doomsday, then that's a great idea from the crew. Thumbs up to continuity.

Oh great, Lois is getting melodramatic again. Still, get rid of that, the WTF writing of Lois "saving people" with the Blur last year (thumbs down to lack of continuity) and my own personal pet peeve of words that are repeated unnaturally ("connection", in this case, "now" in Ollie's apartment), it's kind of a touching confession about her obsession with Clark's alter-ego. Ruined of course by Ollie sending a poor virulent security guard crashing through the door, dead by shotgun blast. I wonder whether Oliver will write to the guys family? And why is he bringing a shotgun to see Tess? Oh, so he can have his big dramatic entrance, right. I like that he sees the googleys between Clois, and is instantly all "Ok, Bye Clark!". :hehe:

And now, for the return of the Deus ex Machina that is Clark's blood. I think it has more uses than Dragon's blood at this point. Emil is awesome here, still reacting to Clark's entrances and being a voice of reason. And I like how caring Chloe was for Clark here, even if she did go a bit overboard.

Ollie, you ass. Then again, I'm pretty sure even he isn't as much of an idiot as is he's portrayed here. The writer just needed him to be one so Lois could fall asleep, which is lame. Especially when all she does after becoming a Zombie is go explore the lift shaft instead of ripping Oliver's guts out. She sure became a Zombie quickly too. :cwink:

What? Is my recording repeating? Nope, just wasting my time showing me stuff I've already seen. Hurry it up will ya?

"That's fine for everyone taking a shower..." Yes, because every zombie likes to start their day feeling clean and fresh. Ew at all that blood. Sure, you can say it's antidote all you want, it's still red. Poor CGI, and disgusting. I can't tell here whether Emil wants to get himself a little Chloe luvin' or matchmake her with Oliver. Either way, we lose. I can see Chloe's point in spying on the league, especially with Oliver, but she's talking about them in such a condescending way that I'm a bit annoyed with her. Of course, I find it highly unlikely that she would have actually been able to plant tracking devices and cameras on each and everyone of them when 2 episodes ago she couldn't even find Ollie when he was in the same city. But the plot demands so...

The rain scene really was quite good. Clark's struggle as he holds on to her just makes me feel proud of how Supermanly he is. But then Lois wakes up and it turns out Zombie's really do like being clean and fresh because she's suddenly a vision of beauty again. Smallville, you can still have Clark find Lois attractive even with black gunk all over her face. I would have actually found that more endearing. Points for the intimacy and hug though. Minus points for a bunch of people wandering out where previously there were none. No points for only having the cure released in rain in some terribly shoddy science, even for Smallville, so you could have this scene.

"Here we go." Too right Ollie. Didn't have a single problem with this scene.

And I liked Clark putting Lana away in the album, despite how girly said album was. But seriously, shut up Lois. I'm tired of how many times she's seen the "new" heroic side of Clark Kent. Once again, he makes a great Blur comeback with his "red and blue" line, and the rest of their banter is pretty good.

Zod is badass. That is all. Ok, no it's not. This scene brings up a good point in that our heroes should be looking for the virus' origin. They know it was Kryptonian in origin afterall. But no follow up. :dry:

In the end, because of it's mix of good scenes, bad scenes and merely average scenes, I'd give this episode a 3, maybe 3.5 out of 5. Not terrible, but certainly nowhere as good as Savior or Metallo (the latter I would give a 6 out of 5 to if I could).

Last edited:
yea everyone has their opinions on episodes. For me like i said i enjoyed the episode alot, didnt have any real faults with it at all. Just little things that doesnt really damper the episode for me. As for chloe/emil like i said in other thread i doubt they will be romantic at all. They have a more professional relationship going. Plus its far to soon for little miss chloe to be on the love train after the whole death of fake jimmy and all that. As for the spying on league i would think probably with all the tech she been able to track dinah/bart/etc.... via satalites and other means like cameras and all that. As for putting a camera on ollie maybe she sneak into his present pad placed it on his clothing so when he puts it on she could track him.

My one nitpic. When Lois is cured. Her facial disfigurements went away too quickly. It would have been nice to see her teeth a little discolored and skin a little off.

rowan, I didn't have the same problems...

Yeah, I can see your point on some of the issues you had, but they didn't negatively affect the enjoyment I had of the episode.

I still loved it and it held up really well with repeat screenings.

Yeah, I don't expect everyone to share my opinion. I'm just sharing it anyway. :D

Look forward to reading yours trip.

EDIT: Also, your avatar caused me to zone out staring at it for a good ten seconds while typing this, and I don't even swing that way. Truly, it is a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
yea everyone has likes or dislikes episodes for what ever reasons. Heck there has been times fan hated episodes of past seasons were an episode i throughly enjoyed.

Yeah, I don't expect everyone to share my opinion. I'm just sharing it anyway. :D

No worries.

Look forward to reading yours trip.

Thanks... watching tonight's season finale of Hell's Kitchen after a very long day at work (although I can't complain about the OT) possibly set me back a bit, so I'm hoping to get the first draft done tonight and polish it up tomorrow, so I'm done well before Friday....

I got some other things I'd like to be writing.

EDIT: Also, your avatar caused me to zone out staring at it for a good ten seconds while typing this, and I don't even swing that way. Truly, it is a force to be reckoned with.

His pecs and abs are truly compelling aren't they?

LOL!

:D

:heart:

It's why I haven't changed that avatar (except for adding new shots) ever since I made it, I think like 4 years ago.

For me the best ep of the season by far, and one of the better of the show in general. Zombie-plot aside I thought the acting and writing was pretty damn great.

Liked the little nod to Lana, love what they're doing with Lois and Clark, and Zod simply rocks.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. Although, I would say that I enjoyed Metallo at least as much as this episode.

My one nitpic. When Lois is cured. Her facial disfigurements went away too quickly. It would have been nice to see her teeth a little discolored and skin a little off.

yeah, and I thought they were about to kiss - I was shouting DON'T KISS HER - DID YOU SEE THAT BLACK CRAP IN HER MOUTH!?!

Oliver should get his own show when SV is over......Green Arrow is a cool hero.

actually the best time would have been right after season 6 but cw is stupid, or nothing really got past idea stage. Though when the show does end be it this season or if the 10th season happens. I would love to see the smallville universe continue on in some form. So then we could see some smallville guys pop in for an episode or two. Or have a part of the production end of things like be producers or direct an episode.

The writing is so saccharin sometimes between Lois and Clark but I can't help but love it.

I totally agree with what was said about Lois transforming back into a fresh-faced beauty. She would at least have some gunk around her face or something.

Also, I have a slight problem with Zod's accent. I'm British myself and the way he speaks just seems forced somehow. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Overall though I thought this was a really great episode with a lot of nice, subtle touches too.

Also, I have a slight problem with Zod's accent. I'm British myself and the way he speaks just seems forced somehow. I can't quite put my finger on why.
I've said elsewhere, I think it's because he sounds like he's talking through too much spit.

it's more Australian to me, than British. But I know what you are sayin

Does Lois know about Jimmy's death?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"