9.07 - Kandor - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I loved this krypton based storyline. I thought the man who played jor-el was great. definitely one of the best this season, and thats saying a lot this season!

I thought this was the best episode this season. I loved Julian Sands as Jor-El and I hope one day they will go with him for the hologram Jor-El.
I loved how they explained the whole experience thing and how they are duplicates of the real Kandorians. It makes sense to me.
I loved how they based Jor-El's relationship to Zod similar to Clark's relationship with Lex and how even in the end Jor-El (much like Clark) still thought Zod could be saved from the dark path.
I loved the Relic references and again it makes sense that Jor-El comes there not because he knows his son is there but because of his memories of being in the Kent farm with Hiram Kent, etc.
The moment where Clark exposed himself to Tess was a very powerful moment (even though reckless on Clark's part).
It was nice that he saw that his real father was a good man and a hero like himself. The final scene again was very powerful. Top notch episode and Tom was great in it even though I wished he showed more emotion when Jor-El died in his arms. But it was really really good and I hope more like this one are on the way...

anybody got a pic of the crystal Jor-el left in the barn?

it was more like another octangal key thing, but with some V like crest on it i think and it was greenish i believe.

anybody got a pic of the crystal Jor-el left in the barn?

2ihnev9.jpg

The entier orb issue is kind of bizzare, for a start. It showed Jor-El creating the orb, Krypton's intentions for it, him dosing it with Blue-K etc which is all good, no problems here.

It did not however explain why the Kandorians where released from the orb just because Doomsday was "killed"..
Nor did the episode explain why during season 7 (Gough & Millar) the orb was being suggested as being sent to earth by Jor-El merely as a weapon to control Kal-El incase he ever became a tyrant on earth..
Didn't really explain who the voice was either telling Tess to release them & various other little things.

I actually think the orb is an issue that should be explored in another episode (perhaps it will) I think its "origin" if you will is still kinda vague & storywise.. quite messy at the moment.. I suppose it was to be expected when you have to pick up on the scraps Gough & Millar left behind them but still..

Hopefully the further the story progresses this season the more answers we will get :up:

Yes, they will probably explain the rest later on, the voice could've been Brainiac, Zor-El, the Eradicator... who knows, we have to wait and see.

The Orb was supposed to "control" Clark by taking his powers away: http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Orb

TPTB don't seem to care about respecting continuity 100%, last season had its retcons, Doomsday's origins on "Eternal" (Lionel's diary, Davis meeting Lex, etc.) and the whole Jimmy turned into Henry fiasco. :whatever:

that's what bothered me about the episode. too many retcons. it kind of spoiled my enjoyment of the episode.

yea it blows when retcons happen and all that. But for all we know other things could be explained later on in the season.

that's what bothered me about the episode. too many retcons. it kind of spoiled my enjoyment of the episode.

Me too. I usually just let these things go but the thing with the stones is kind of a biggie.

can anyone give a list of all the retcons in this episode? i've been watching smallville from the beginning, but this episode didnt seem to have as many as people think. they have jorel still coming as a right of passage, zod being the reason why krypton was destroyed, the relics are still in place, anything else? technically when jorel came to earth as the right of passage, clark was supposed to be like 15, so figure twenty years later he could look like julian sands, and then in another 20 years is when krypton was destroyed.

the stones were sent to earth but they could have been sent during different time periods, its never really explained. plus not all the relics could have been the same as the ones in the past. if someone could put up a screen shot to see if they are the same, that would be appreciated.

you guys are still concerned and complaining about all the retcons that smallville has done? It's been doing it for years and years that's why I just watch the show for fun, there's hardly anything that is actually based on the comics, they've basically taken their own complete twist on it which is totally fun and absurd.

For all the retcons talk, surprise to see so many of you enjoyed the episode.
As for me, I just flow with whatever the writers dream up. Technicalities only ruin the journey, besides I don't have the ram capacity that you guys have.
I'm constantly deleting files from my memory. lol.
I only wish that Jor-El hadn't died, it'll be cool if he raised from the dead, due to the wonderful effects of our yellow sun. :awesome:

another thing I didn't understand was that apparantly there's blue kryptonite on Krypton? I thought all kryptonite (no matter the color) were remnants of Clark's homeworld? It became radioactive when Krypton blew up so any kryptonite that Jor-El had was basically worthless unless it's on Earth...

I just re-watched the ep. This was a very enjoyable episode, despite the retcons and puzzlement regarding the Orb.

But can we talk for a minute about budget? Good Lord, I didn't think we'd ever end up seeing an episode like this. The opening scene of the war was pretty great. It's really awesome seeing the show full embracing its mythology instead of trying to be cute and coy and use it only every now and again as part of the big tease.

Anyone got any thoughts on this "Black Zero"?

Would've preferred that the council have said that the punishment for treason was imprisonment in the Phantom Zone, not death... unless this was to mean that Jor-El hadn't yet discovered or created the Zone (being 20 years before the end of Krypton).

Now, Kandor... Kandor was destroyed? Was it then rebuilt later? Because isn't Kandor the city we see Zor-El sending Kara away from in that brief seventh season flashback (from which the same shot of the city in this week's episode comes from)? Slight puzzlement.

QUITE intrigued about that disc that Jor-El was retrieving.

another thing I didn't understand was that apparantly there's blue kryptonite on Krypton? I thought all kryptonite (no matter the color) were remnants of Clark's homeworld? It became radioactive when Krypton blew up so any kryptonite that Jor-El had was basically worthless unless it's on Earth...
Oh, God, yeah. That, too. Unless their reasoning is that, similar to the Byrne retelling, in which Kryptonite radiation poisoning already existed as the planet's core showed signs of world's imminent demise, some forms of Kryptonite (blue and green, at least) already existed. Remember back in the fourth season how the temple in China was apparently guarded with buttloads of Green K? Yeah, weird.

Oh, God, yeah. That, too. Unless their reasoning is that, similar to the Byrne retelling, in which Kryptonite radiation poisoning already existed as the planet's core showed signs of world's imminent demise, some forms of Kryptonite (blue and green, at least) already existed. Remember back in the fourth season how the temple in China was apparently guarded with buttloads of Green K? Yeah, weird.

Oh, I didn't know that. But the fact that they didn't explain it makes me think it's just a plothole that the writers missed (even though it's a BIG plothole).

Me too. I usually just let these things go but the thing with the stones is kind of a biggie.

I'm not sure that they will, 'cause they kind of have a history of not doing so, but it could be easily explained. When Zod went bad, a time travelling Kryptonian retrieved the crystals sent to Earth, and took then back in time and buried them. It kind of fits in with the story that they were telling back in Season 4.

Maybe the blue kryptonite didn't do its thing though until it came to Earth, or maybe Jor-el was lying and he altered the DNA somehow?

My theory about that key Jor-EL hidden in the Kent farm...

Based on the limited knowledge we've been given of Lois visions of the future I believe that Clark will lose his powers at some point and be powerless against Zod and the Kandorians. The key Jor-El hid will be able to give Clark his powers back (possibly even allow Clark the power to finally fly?)...thus making Clark even more powerful than the rest of the Kandorians. This is something I could see them saving for the Season finale.

In terms of "Kandor," I believe that once Jor-EL had learned of Clark, he contemplated using the key to regain his own powers under the yellow sun in case he felt the need to defend his son with force.

That's... actually not a bad theory. A safety measure in case he needed to undo the Blue K's effect and regain his powers.

Question then is... when and how did he put in the damn Kent house? Another little trip to Earth before the portals off of Krypton were closed off?

well, I think its from its first visit. And that's a good idea, but I doubt its what it is, which really pisses me off cos its hard to know what it is. lol

Hmm, I'm actually surprised to see that so many people liked the actor who played Jor-El. I hated that particular choice.

Hmm, I'm actually surprised to see that so many people liked the actor who played Jor-El. I hated that particular choice.

I wasn't a big fan to be honest, I don't know why though because with his voice & appearence he seems like a legitimate choice..

Dunno what it was though but I just wasn't that convinced..

Question then is... when and how did he put in the damn Kent house? Another little trip to Earth before the portals off of Krypton were closed off?

You see Jor-El walk onto the Kent Farm.

Ad break.

When we return, Chloe arrives at the Kent Farm, comes into the house...and finds Jor-El mysteriously standing stationary in shadow (perhaps pausing a moment to see who he is encountering).

Who knows how many minutes or hours he had to roam around before Chloe happened to arrive at the house?

Hope that helps.

\8/

:word:

This bothered me as well. I just attributed it to Jor-EL being a great scientist and during the explorations of Earth and testing Kryptonian's abilities under a yellow sun discovered how to remove/dampen those abilites.

To me this is reinforced in the talk he had with Chloe about how Kryptonians were no better than humans and not superior, etc.

It's Smallville, you know we have to add to what the writers forget about or fail to mention sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"