General Trek Talk Are you a Star Trek fan? The official Star Trek thread where no fan has gone before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
vsxavierpicard.jpg

startrekleg.jpg

Elijya said:
I've watched the series in syndication justwhen I happen to catch it for years, but just this month I picked up TNG season 6 and 7 and the movie boxset and have been loving watching them
I have yet to pick up any of the series, but I do plan on it.

does anyone have any favorite characters from their fav series?...

for me, other than Picard, it's gotta be Q in that get-up he's in at the first episode an "All Good Things..."

I think it's the hat that I like the most...

David Starsky said:
My fav Trek movies in order.

10. The Final Froienter
9. Insurrection
8. Nemesis
7. The Motion Picture
6. The Search for Spock
5. Generations
4. Wrath of Kahn
3. The Undiscovered Country
2. The Voyage Home
1. First Contact

ts44_feat_main.jpg
without a doubt First Contact is the best one. It's exactly like the review they quoted in the ads said "Even if you've never heard of Star Trek before, you'll love this movie." It was accessable, and DAMN good.

I'm not sure about the rest of the list, though. I haven't even seen all of the original cast movies, and it's been many many years for the ones I have, so I'll be watching my box set soon. I did finally see Insurrection, though, and it wasn't as bad as I'd heard. Granted, it wasn't fantastic, the plot was a bit lackluster and came off more like a really good two part episode with higher production values. But the movies should have a grander premise.

Nemesis sucked though, obviously

Completely obvious question, though: In searching for ideas for the movies, the best result came from taking one of the best (and proven) elements of the show, the Borg, and crafting a really good movie using them. So why not follow that up with a movie involving Q?

oh, that would be so cool, seeing Q in a movie... John DeLancie did such a good job playing that character, and I would love to see him reprise that role in a movie.

yeah, but I think they've declared they're done with the Next Gen movies. Granted, he's Q, so he could show up anywhere, but he belongs toying with the Next Gen crew

Elijya said:
without a doubt First Contact is the best one. It's exactly like the review they quoted in the ads said "Even if you've never heard of Star Trek before, you'll love this movie." It was accessable, and DAMN good.
Hell yeah, I really like all the movies, but I absolutely love Star Trek: First Contact. I remember seeing it for the first time in the movie theatre, and dude, I was totally blown away. What a movie. :up:

I used to be...and I still watch TNG a lot.
But...I'd say i'm more of a Gate fan now. I'm waiting until Trek goes back to it's roots and stops trying to experiment. Let's get good writing for once.

finally finished what my custom ship would look like:

Just out of curiousity, why did a British guy play a Frenchman?

Is it really that big a stretch? A British guy played Batman, an American guy played a Pikey, an Australian guy played a Scotsman, and another Australian played a Canadian, and yet another Australian guy played a Roman Gladiator

Spider-Bite said:
Are you a Star Trek fan?

Yes of the original series - {Kirk, Spock, Doctor McCoy, Mr. Scott, Sulu , Chekov & Uhura }

as well as The Next Generation - {Picard, Riker, Data, Deanna Troi , Geordi La Forge , Worf , & Beverly Crusher}

And finally Deep Space Nine - {Sisko, Nerys , Odo , Julian Bashir , Jadzia Dax , Quark , Miles O'Brien & Jake Sisko }

These are my favorite series of Star Trek .

I need to get the DVD's. I have season 1 of TOS and most of season 1 and 2{VHS} and season Season 5 and half of the movies.

I was looking on Wiki and I had no idea that Q appeared on Voyager.

Twice actually.

I only saw one of his appearances, but I loved it... but IMO he should stay on TNG.

i love all things star trek, but especially ds9, i have season 6 and 7 on dvd its so awesome. i hope the new movie will be good.

what do you find appealing about DS9?

I've tried watching it, and I've seen a few good episodes, but I just can't get into it like I did with TNG and Voyager...

TNG and VOY are more individualized episodes. What appeals to me about DS9 is that it's the front line of the Dominion War. Honestly, I didn't really start watching it until season 3 (I think) when the Klingons broke their treaty with the Federation.

You can't just start watching DS9 in the middle of season 7 and hope to have any idea what's going on. I didn't watch much of the last season, but I tuned in for the series finale and I didn't know what the hell was happening.

It's a lot like season 3 of ENT when they were searching for the Xindi superweapon. Especially near the end of the season, the episodes relied heavily on the previous set-ups.

Personally, I liked the idea of a darker, almost on-the-edge Captain. The dialogue between Sisko & Q describes it best:

Q: :wow: "You hit me. Picard never hit me."
Sisko: :cmad: "I'm not Picard."
Q: "No, you're much easier to provoke. :yay: How wonderful."

Of course, I loved Dr. Bashir :heart: , Dax (Jadzia, of course), Kira, and the increased depth of character we got to see in O'Brien and Worf. But I also thought they continuously came up with really interesting, original storylines ((& weren't going back to a "holodeck malfunction" all the time, :woot: )). They had the war, but they did new and interesting things with the characters, with their surroundings, with Starfleet and its relations with other organizations... it just always had a good story ((mostly... there were a few blahs, but that happens in any show)).

One of my absolute favorite episodes is "In The Pale Moonlight", where Sisko dictates a personal log to the computer talking about some questionable methods he used to aid Starfleet in the war. His last bit of monologue is incredible:

"...the most damning thing of all is... I think I can live with it. And if I'd have to do it all over again... I would. Garek was right about one thing...my conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it...I can live with it. (pauses) (To computer) Computer, erase that entire personal log."

I'd never heard anything like that on ST before, and Sisko's voice was so haunting. His journey was one of the best parts of that show, a man who was so completely rational and down-to-earth thrown into so many mystical situations where he just... had to have faith.

I'm not saying the characters are bad, I just can't get into the story as well as TNG or VOY... I guess it's because it's a much darker Trek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"