• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

General Trek Talk Are you a Star Trek fan? The official Star Trek thread where no fan has gone before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's okay, I mean it definitely makes sense that that would turn some people off. TNG is definitely still my #1, too. :)

Original series for me. Next Generation is my second favorite but my bibbest complaint is its too politically correct - it grates at times on me! Aside from these two shows the others never really clicked with me. Voyageur seemed OK then I realized the characters were too easy to get into - there really was no great complexity to them and they got boring pretty fast. Enterprise was a forced show that tried to link things together that just shouldn't be linked - they didn't give themselves enough space between their show and the Start Trek universe to stay in the same continuity. I've never really tried DS9 although I have heard from some people that it is in fact the best of the series. I guess I'll have to give it a DVD try out and see if a season or 2 holds my interest.

I actually had it in my mind to make a brand new series in comic form. A slightly darker Trek, but with much of the same themes and feels.

but of course someone suggested it might be a bad idea because, even though it would be a free indie comic, it might catch the attention of the studio and they would shut it down.

It is very Hard to pick, but I would have to say Deep Space Nine, I just loved the last few seasons, the whole Dominion war kept me so excited, plus Sisko kicked ass.

what do you find appealing about DS9?

I've tried watching it, and I've seen a few good episodes, but I just can't get into it like I did with TNG and Voyager...

The first 2 seasons are not so good they are kind of slow, but after season 3 it kicks in. The whole Dominion War starts. The last few seasons were very good, much better then TNG's in my opinion. Even tho I love TNG but it did not have a long running story, apart from the Borg, which was not often, it was not very exciting.

I think you should give it a chance, I am sure you would love it.

Personally, I liked the idea of a darker, almost on-the-edge Captain. The dialogue between Sisko & Q describes it best:

Q: :wow: "You hit me. Picard never hit me."
Sisko: :cmad: "I'm not Picard."
Q: "No, you're much easier to provoke. :yay: How wonderful."

Of course, I loved Dr. Bashir :heart: , Dax (Jadzia, of course), Kira, and the increased depth of character we got to see in O'Brien and Worf. But I also thought they continuously came up with really interesting, original storylines ((& weren't going back to a "holodeck malfunction" all the time, :woot: )). They had the war, but they did new and interesting things with the characters, with their surroundings, with Starfleet and its relations with other organizations... it just always had a good story ((mostly... there were a few blahs, but that happens in any show)).

One of my absolute favorite episodes is "In The Pale Moonlight", where Sisko dictates a personal log to the computer talking about some questionable methods he used to aid Starfleet in the war. His last bit of monologue is incredible:

"...the most damning thing of all is... I think I can live with it. And if I'd have to do it all over again... I would. Garek was right about one thing...my conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it...I can live with it. (pauses) (To computer) Computer, erase that entire personal log."

I'd never heard anything like that on ST before, and Sisko's voice was so haunting. His journey was one of the best parts of that show, a man who was so completely rational and down-to-earth thrown into so many mystical situations where he just... had to have faith.

That is also one of my favourite episodes along with The Visitor and others. I agree about Sisko, he had such a kick ass attitude. I loved the way he took command of the Defiant. :yay:

But I did not like the way he died at the end :csad:. I really wanted for him to appear in a Trek movie as Avery Brooks is an amazing actor.

what do you find appealing about DS9?

I've tried watching it, and I've seen a few good episodes, but I just can't get into it like I did with TNG and Voyager...

what I liked about DS9 was that it had an ongoing plot, which they took the time to develop.

The first couple of seasons were kind of boring, but it set the scene. These first seasons also served to work out some of the sharp edges in the show that didn't fit (anyone notice how as a star trek series matures, everything seems to look softer?)

Anyhow, what really tied me into DS9 was when Starfleet sent a galaxy class starship through the wormhole, and it got rammed by a Jem Hadar ship, and blew it to ****. Sisko ended the episode by saying something like 'we'll be ready'. That pretty much locked me into the series.

Then Klingons went crazy and attacked the station which had been a tin can floating in space up to that point. Not anymore, and the klingons had their asses handed to them. That's really the epi that set the whole tone for the rest of the series.

other highlights: The loss of the station for what, a season or 2, and the battle that forced the surrender of the station. The Fortune Favor the Bold, and Sacrifice of Angels two parter was the pinnicle of the entire series!!!! And then the last season which was all good, with all the subplots really leading to the final conclusion of the series.

DS9 Ruled

There was one episode that stood out the most to me. It was reight after the Station was liberated, and Sisko had to transport Gul Dukat to some prison, and they end up marooned in some windy gravel pit. It just struck a cord with me, I just adored that epi.

Question for trekkies, I have all the episodes of all the shows, and I watch all of them every 2 years. When or how often do you guys watch it?

I am thinking of extending it to 3 years as I think I will remember what happens in every scene.

Usually I just catch them on TV. I mean, they basicly come on every day.

Question for trekkies, I have all the episodes of all the shows, and I watch all of them every 2 years. When or how often do you guys watch it?

I am thinking of extending it to 3 years as I think I will remember what happens in every scene.
I tend to watch it as much as possible... I enjoy the experience, even if I've seen it too many times to count.

Anyone like Babylon 5? I liked the first few seasons but I have to say it had one of the worst ever endings to a war I have ever seen. It was going so well and exciting and then and of season four they kiss and make up :huh: .
Afte the whole shadows war I just stopped watching it, season 5 looked so boring.

I got a creepy vibe from Bashir and O'Brian...

I kept expecting them to go brokeback on each other in a holodeck...

There are no gay people on Star Trek, apparentely. :)

Picard is not gay. He's euro-trash!
:)

Anyone like Babylon 5? I liked the first few seasons but I have to say it had one of the worst ever endings to a war I have ever seen. It was going so well and exciting and then and of season four they kiss and make up :huh: .
Afte the whole shadows war I just stopped watching it, season 5 looked so boring.
Keep in mind that the reason everything essentially got wrapped up at the end of Season 4 was because the syndicated network they were on went under, and JMS was told to finish everything.

Then TNT made a deal at essentially the last minute to pick up all 4 seasons, plus give them their 5th season.

The plan was that the Earth Civil War would have ended in Season 5, and that the episode "Intersections in Real Time", where Sheridan was being interrogated by Earth.

As for the Shadow war, it was essentially a war of philosophies (order v. chaos)

i loved tos when i was kid, then growing up, loved tng then ds9. watched voyager but hardly got to see enterprise for reason or another. seemed ok from what i saw. voyager had some good biots. ds9 was for me though, especially worf, he made the show, and when sisko got his goatee, he bacame badass!

finally finished what my custom ship would look like:
Not bad. :up:

I've always liked the Enterprise C design the best. It's a bit of the old and the new.
1701c.jpg

As for what show I like the best. I like them all. :)

i love the schematics that they made for these ships...

Well, except for Picard and Riker:yay:

And Wesley. That poor kid was fodder for everyone on the ship! lol

But I did not like the way he died at the end . I really wanted for him to appear in a Trek movie as Avery Brooks is an amazing actor.

He is awesome. But I think he could still come back, since he didn't really "die". It was one of those metaphysical crap things ((which I didn't like either)) where he said something along the lines of: "I could come back ten years from now, or I could come back yesterday, I'm not sure." But it could happen, he's just off roaming the universe and exploring all different sides of reality with all those rasafrassin' prophets.

There was one episode that stood out the most to me. It was reight after the Station was liberated, and Sisko had to transport Gul Dukat to some prison, and they end up marooned in some windy gravel pit. It just struck a cord with me, I just adored that epi.

That episode is one of my favorites in DS9. It finally showed just how evil Dukat really was.

My favorate is the original series.
My second favorate is TNG and third is DS9.
Voyager and Enterprise is not really my favorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"