Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in fairness however anyone feels about Forever they successfully went from Keaton to Kilmer.

I rather they recast than do a torch pass really. I love the DCEU and all, but one of the things I feel was a missed opportunity was the Clark/Bruce friendship. With the entire group taking focus in JL, and Affleck about to leave the role if rumors are true, then the Clark/Bruce friendship will probably not happen if they pass it to Dick Grayson, which is a shame, since that's one of the pillar relationships in DC imo.

I'm all for a recast if we can't keep Affleck. Don't wanna see any other character as Batman just yet. We just got started with the guy.

I'm all for a recast if we can't keep Affleck. Don't wanna see any other character as Batman just yet. We just got started with the guy.

Agreed, I don't want to see Nightwing taking on Bat mantle so soon.

Yeah. That is something I'd only be ok with after seeing a Bat-trilogy, at the very least 2 Bat solos.

Without having the comments directly in front of me, I am 99% sure that Reeves has mentioned Bruce Wayne as his Batman. So unless he's just outright lying, I expect a simple recast is what they're plan is.

Besides, making Dick Grayson Batman when they're also developing a separate Nightwing movie makes no sense.

I highly doubt they'll be passing the torch, IF (and it's an of because it's still a rumour) Affleck leaves then they will casting someone else as Bruce Wayne.

The only odd thing about a simple recast is the way the article's one source worded their comment. They said that the change would be addressed in a future DC film. A recast shouldn't ever be addressed onscreen, because it breaks the fourth wall. Why draw attention to it? The only reason to do so is if the recast can be explained in-story somehow, like a Lazarus Pit.

[YT]LA0AeAKAxks[/YT]

Anything else, wouldn't have to be addressed. If it's a trilogy set in the past with a younger man, then you don't need to set that up really. If it's a basic recast, then you wouldn't alert people to that.

By the way, I may be mistaken, but I believe I read Matt Reeves say something about Jason Todd recently. I only thought of that because if Reeves is interested in Bruce Wayne and was curious about exploring his past with Jason Todd, then maybe he is considering a prequel series of sorts. Don't take my word for it, though. The Jason Todd thing may be a mistake of mine.

Perhaps a Flashpoint event ****s up the timeline and it results in a younger Bruce.

Perhaps a Flashpoint event ****s up the timeline and it results in a younger Bruce.

Flashpoint alters timelines, resulting in a new personal history and not a new biology. It doesn't make people younger or older, and if it did, it would affect more than just Bruce Wayne.

Flashpoint alters timelines, resulting in a new personal history and not a new biology. It doesn't make people younger or older, and if it did, it would affect more than just Bruce Wayne.

Well it kinda made everybody 10 years younger in the comics lol

You don't even need to do that, Ruffalo replaced Norton in the MCU. Kilmer replaced Keaton in Batman Forever (admittedly that one was a soft reboot) but I don't think you need to Flashpoint anything in order to recast. In any case for now it's still just a rumour, so people need to stop acting like its concrete news.

Actually have people bothered to read the article, it appears to be full of assumptions.

let's all spam david samberg on dceuleaks (since he hangs out there) and ask him if the rumor is true. jk. sort of

Well it kinda made everybody 10 years younger in the comics lol

I don't think it did. Not really. Some were meant to be the same age while others weren't. Bruce remained older with much of his history intact, for example. One of the reasons Flashpoint was ultimately poorly received was because it was a logistical mess, unevenly applied. And, as you point out, if it did have a youthful effect, it would logically apply to more than just one character. I believe the way Flashpoint was supposed to work in the comics wasn't that they were made younger, but that we were watching them from a new start in their lives. In the CW Flash's take on Flashpoint, ages didn't change. It would be a convoluted and nonsensical method to explain a change in Bruce, in my opinion.

I don't think it did. Not really. Some were meant to be the same age while others weren't. Bruce remained older with much of his history intact, for example. One of the reasons Flashpoint was ultimately poorly received was because it was a logistical mess, unevenly applied. And, as you point out, if it did have a youthful effect, it would logically apply to more than just one character. I believe the way Flashpoint was supposed to work in the comics wasn't that they were made younger, but that we were watching them from a new start in their lives. In the CW Flash's take on Flashpoint, ages didn't change. It would be a convoluted and nonsensical method to explain a change in Bruce, in my opinion.

I think 10 years younger was the deal though. I remember I kept hearing about it. Some characters historyw ere changed, and some were kept, but I remember hearing that no matter what history, everything was contracted into a 5 year span. Obviously something like Batman's history would be super convoluted, and it essentially meant he went through 3 robins in the span of 5 years. That issue was never really addressed until Rebirth where it was touched upon but never explained fully.

Isn't this Batman supposed to be older? Like he's already faced off against a lot of villains and has become cynical and murder happy because of it?

So casting a young Batman seems like it wouldn't really work. They were stupid to make him old to begi with just becaue they really wanted to do the fight scene from Dark Knight Returns.

I think 10 years younger was the deal though. I remember I kept hearing about it. Some characters historyw ere changed, and some were kept, but I remember hearing that no matter what history, everything was contracted into a 5 year span. Obviously something like Batman's history would be super convoluted, and it essentially meant he went through 3 robins in the span of 5 years. That issue was never really addressed until Rebirth where it was touched upon but never explained fully.

I guess what I mean to say is that it's not just an aging trick. It changes the entire world. It's not like Bruce would be 10 years younger in the same world with the same friends and history. The whole world would be, for lack of a better word, ten years younger. It's too complicated, and the New 52 doesn't exactly illustrate its success as a device, and so it would be a risky and drastic mechanism to use just for an alleged Affleck recast. I think...hope...they'd avoid it.

i know its a fiction & all that , but you just cant throw out another actor to play the batman on this Dceu universe , like nothing happened

the best way for them is to have him badly injured in the justice league movie , so he just retire somewhere

& after that a young guy just replace him as a vigilante on that matt reeves trilogy

I guess what I mean to say is that it's not just an aging trick. It changes the entire world. It's not like Bruce would be 10 years younger in the same world with the same friends and history. The whole world would be, for lack of a better word, ten years younger. It's too complicated, and the New 52 doesn't exactly illustrate its success as a device, and so it would be a risky and drastic mechanism to use just for an alleged Affleck recast. I think...hope...they'd avoid it.

Yea I guess we were pretty much talking about the same thing lol. As far as movie recast though, they can just recast someone younger, but age him up in movies via makeup or whatever to around Batfleck Bruce's age. The point is they have the same *facelifted* Bruce, but a younger actor who stay with the franchise reasonably longer than Ben, especially if it's a lesser known star with not as many projects in the pipeline. Granted Ben doesn't have anything now either, but I'm sure as a big name, he doesn't want to be tied down to a franchise they he may or may not have his heart in anymore and not be able to do other projects he wants.

i know its a fiction & all that , but you just cant throw out another actor to play the batman on this Dceu universe , like nothing happened

You really can, you know. Batman is bigger than any one actor, and no actor is indispensible to the role. The audience will be fine with it.

If there's anything that concerns me about this new article, it's that they're trying to write Affleck out of the DCEU. That they're trying to make the recast a story reason. Barring a confusing Lazarus Pit scenario or an even more confusing Flashpoint event, the only scenarios that make sense are that Bruce either retires at the end of the film or is killed in action. Then the Matt Reeves film/s would either be set prior to MoS as a prequel series, or it would feature someone else taking on the mantle of Batman.

Neither are ideal situations in my book. It's bad enough that Superman isn't involved in the formation of the League, and that we're not getting Green Lantern as one of the founding members. If they take Batman out of the equation, then that effectively kills my enthusiasm for future JL films. And I'm really not eager to see another character as Batman this early into the DCEU's lifespan.

Please don't make this more complicated than it needs to be. Just recast the part.

Last edited:
I don't get that at all, if Affleck leaves you just recast. Simple as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"