• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Ben Affleck IS Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference between lying and changing your mind after reconsidering what's best for your end product. Fanboys and the vultures in the media act like it's some sort of scandal and Ben cannot be trusted anymore. Give me a break. There's a difference between making a smart move after some reconsideration and lying to keep a sinking ship under wraps. The sense of entitlement the fans have is astonishing. Let the man do what is best for him and the project. He's not leaving the role and smartly put the directing duty to Matt Reeves so he can focus fully on the role. Crazy how much spinning there is.

Yeap.

There's a difference between lying and changing your mind after reconsidering what's best for your end product. Fanboys and the vultures in the media act like it's some sort of scandal and Ben cannot be trusted anymore. Give me a break. There's a difference between making a smart move after some reconsideration and lying to keep a sinking ship under wraps. The sense of entitlement the fans have is astonishing. Let the man do what is best for him and the project. He's not leaving the role and smartly put the directing duty to Matt Reeves so he can focus fully on the role. Crazy how much spinning there is.

Yeah, like people forget that these guys are people to. Minds change, things change, etc. It's entirely possible that he was on the fence when he was on Jimmy Kimmel but at one point between that show and dropping out he just decided he couldn't do it after Live By Night tanked.

Don't forget about all the pressure people kept on him and were asking him every chance they got. I'm certain that made him reconsider and take not just how much more added pressure directing it brought him. That combined with Live by Night flopping, pretty easy to understand. No conspiracy there.

Don't forget about all the pressure people kept on him and were asking him every chance they got. I'm certain that made him reconsider and take not just how much more added pressure directing it brought him. That combined with Live by Night flopping, pretty easy to understand. No conspiracy there.

Yeah, like the decision had to be made at some point and unfortunately it crossed over with him saying on national TV that he was still doing it. His personal issues aside, his reasoning in the EW interview from yesterday makes perfect sense. Directing, writing, producing AND acting in a $150-$200 million superhero movie with elaborate stunts, effects, etc would be insane for anyone to take on. With that said it's possible and likely that if JL is as much a debacle as BvS that Ben walks, but if JL is received well and Matt Reeves really sells Ben on an awesome arc for a trilogy I'm sure Ben will stick around since he'll be there as an actor rather than wearing all of those hats.

I see way past that happy-go-lucky PR act he pulled yesterday, but if it means he stays for the duration of this Batman's run, I'm welcome to have him stay.

I just don't want all this BS to cloud every production, it really taints the likability factor. And despite him being my favorite Batman to date, it's why I had zero problems with him leaving so suddenly. There's a lot to be said of exuding your gratification for the role and fandom, he was quite poor at doing that this past year or so.

Like I said though, I'll let bygones be bygones. But I still hold the position none of this PR talk holds any weight until beginning of 2018, where we'll really see the plans for Batman's future revealed.

I'll just add this and call it a day. This whole operation (the DCEU) has been... troubled... for many reasons.

Justice League, in this case, tragically beyond the scope of everyone's comprehension on a basic human level... that we won't get into here. You all know what I'm talking about. But also on the fundamental level of following a highly-disliked film (Batman vs Superman) that didn't "course-correct" as intended... following up a launching film (Man of Steel) that itself was supposed to "course-correct"... but similarly failed to.

A lot of this was riding on Affleck to explode in the role, hence he forms the group instead of Cavill's Supes. Instead against everyone's expectations, Wonder Woman exploded this summer and all the talk is on Gadot and Patty Jenkins.

Add to that a seeming disinterest in the GA to Affleck in the role. Let's face it, Bale is still the character in the eyes of many and Affleck never truthfully "needed" this - signing on not long after his Oscar-glory of Argo plus The Town and Gone Girl to a lesser degree. He can walk away and be just fine. Look at previous occupants to the role and how they fared after taking off the cape-and-cowl... and I would bet dollars to donuts Affleck has spoken to at least one of them on this subject.

He says he loves Batman. Sure... but he also said he loves Daredevil (even wrote an introduction to the TPB of his ex-pal Kevin Smith's comic run) and in the years since did a total 180. So you can't take these guys at their word. People in this business BS/spin... especially in the face of the (ugly) truth getting out.

With a film so troubled... and even more highly-troubling news breaks (that has been in whispered about for a long time, add to that, Affleck has already vacated a high position he previously committed to - directing The Batman), why would they come clean about this before release?

That would only make matters worse. Just some food for thoughts, guys.

Last edited:
I've said my piece and looks like people are refusing to believe the man and indulge into conspiracy theories and into the negative thought process with anything involving Ben in this role and towards the DCEU in general. I'm done, life's too short.

https://instagram.com/p/BW5k067Ad0a/

20184978_451379615243254_1003533827563323392_n.jpg

I'll just add this and call it a day. This whole operation (the DCEU) has been... troubled... for many reasons.

Justice League, in this case, tragically beyond the scope of everyone's comprehension on a basic human level... that we won't get into here. You all know what I'm talking about. But also on the fundamental level of following a highly-disliked film (Batman vs Superman) that didn't "course-correct" as intended... following up a launching film (Man of Steel) that itself was supposed to "course-correct"... but similarly failed to.

A lot of this was riding on Affleck to explode in the role, hence he forms the group instead of Cavill's Supes. Instead against everyone's expectations, Wonder Woman exploded this summer and all the talk is on Gadot and Patty Jenkins.

Add to that a seeming disinterest in the GA to Affleck in the role. Let's face it, Bale is still the character in the eyes of many and Affleck never truthfully "needed" this - signing on not long after his Oscar-glory of Argo plus The Town and Gone Girl to a lesser degree. He can walk away and be just fine. Look at previous occupants to the role and how they fared after taking off the cape-and-cowl... and I would bet dollars to donuts Affleck has spoken to at least one of them on this subject.

He says he loves Batman. Sure... but he also said he loves Daredevil (even wrote an introduction to the TPB of his ex-pal Kevin Smith's comic run) and in the years since did a total 180. So you can't take these guys at their word. People in this business BS/spin... especially in the face of the (ugly) truth getting out.

With a film so troubled... and even more highly-troubling news breaks (that has been in whispered about for a long time, add to that, Affleck has already vacated a high position he previously committed to - directing The Batman), why would they come clean about this before release?

That would only make matters worse. Just some food for thoughts, guys.

See, I truly believe he wants to play batman and loves the character. Going off various bits of info from Kevin Smith himself. Affleck called KS at around 2 in the am to gush about Dark Knight Returns after reading it for the first time, he took the daredevil meeting due to his love of Miller's comic etc. He also at this con spoke about Snyder pitching him the role with a TDKR statue. The problem for BAtfleck now that he is no longer writing/directing/producing the new batman is that he is no longer in control. See, I truly believe he would be more than down with a matt reeves bat trilogy, but the question lies on matt reeves...Does he want Batfleck? That is the question. So to me this recasting will depend on matt reeves, and not on affleck.

Ben did kinda hint in a EW interview of possibly meeting reeves and hearing his pitch for batman, so hopefully it all works out.

The Bruce Wayne photo is taken from BvS. I found the new Batman image on Instagram. You can also see it here:
s-l1600.jpg

Pretty cool endorsement from the definitive Batman himself

20398269_1648590681818752_3366500056432640000_n.jpg

Oh snap, only time I've embraced both Batman and Bruce in one actor.
I agree with Conroy that he is the best balance.

The Bruce Wayne photo is taken from BvS. I found the new Batman image on Instagram. You can also see it here:
s-l1600.jpg

As a girl who doesn't get action figures I wonder if a little boy would really want this?

Last edited:
I said it before replying to John Campea, I'll say it here: I truly think Affleck likes being in the role, no question about that. But when it comes to The Batman, out of everyone who wanted a Ben Affleck-directed Batman film, no one asked if Affleck really wanted to make it. He was sorta pressured into it, and I believe he realized from his script that he wasn't the right guy. Plus, add his workout with acting, directing, writing, producing too, that's a HUGE workload he didn't want to make because it was unrealistic and insane. Playing Batman is fine, doing all of that with playing Batman was a no no. I truly believe that is the real truth.

As for FLASHPoint on Batman: what if the plan is to use Flashpoint to make Batman 20 years younger? That way, we have Batman in his prime (moreso than he is already) with the Bat Family, and Reeves can have his two post-Affleck movies after The Batman, and Affleck will be "phased out" naturally through this DOFP/Abrams-Trek scenario? Imagine FLASHPoint (comic, animated) ending with Batman's ending from DKIII instead.

Thoughts?

Oh snap, only time I've embraced both Batman and Bruce in one actor.
I agree with Conroy that he is the best balance.

As a girl who doesn't get action figures I wonder if a little boy would really want this?

A 30 year old man sure does...

I said it before replying to John Campea, I'll say it here: I truly think Affleck likes being in the role, no question about that. But when it comes to The Batman, out of everyone who wanted a Ben Affleck-directed Batman film, no one asked if Affleck really wanted to make it. He was sorta pressured into it, and I believe he realized from his script that he wasn't the right guy. Plus, add his workout with acting, directing, writing, producing too, that's a HUGE workload he didn't want to make because it was unrealistic and insane. Playing Batman is fine, doing all of that with playing Batman was a no no. I truly believe that is the real truth.

Agreed that Affleck was put incharge of too many things, and he found it difficult to manage writing, producing, directing and acting in the movie. Plus, the movie's performance, both critically and commercially depended on his writing, directing and acting, which was a bit too much to ask.

As for FLASHPoint on Batman: what if the plan is to use Flashpoint to make Batman 20 years younger? That way, we have Batman in his prime (moreso than he is already) with the Bat Family, and Reeves can have his two post-Affleck movies after The Batman, and Affleck will be "phased out" naturally through this DOFP/Abrams-Trek scenario? Imagine FLASHPoint (comic, animated) ending with Batman's ending from DKIII instead.

Thoughts?

Initially, most people thought that they might have planned a trilogy like Nolan's Bat-trilogy with Ben Affleck, but it could be something unconventional.

If they want to reboot the universe after the Flashpoint, then having a younger Batman in two movies might be the plan, thus providing Affleck a chance to exit this franchise after a solo Bat-movie.

But, rebooting would mean a complete team change, just like in X-men, they changed actors playing Magneto, Prof. Xavier, Cyclopes, Beast and Storm, WB might have to change actors playing Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and their supporting characters like Lois Lane, Perry White, Vulko, Hippolyta.

This looks quite unnecessary, especially after first Aquaman movie and two WW movies.

Last edited:
I can see WB Ben in solo Batman movie, post Flashpoint, meanwhile Matt Reeves would get his own 'younger version of Batman' for his trilogy set before the events of MoS.

Or,

Maybe Matt Reeves wants to set his movies before the events of MoS, that is, before the days of 'superheroes', then to make Ben Affleck look younger they could use CGI and have Affleck lose some weight or they could sign on a younger actor.

They didn't back off their initial report and as The Playlist pointed out... Affleck didn't exactly deny it. And lest we forget he flat-out denied the long-standing rumors (from several reputable outlets) that he was quitting as director of The Batman. Up to a week before it became official.

Something I've learned in doing this over the years. It's all in the wording.

This reminds me of when Spider-Man 4 fell apart. Details initially leaked right before Christmas 2009. Fans freaked out and honestly... the truth was staring us all right in the face. Many (not all, to be fair) chose to ignore it because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. Sony (and several sites) denied it hard and so fans proclaimed it was all BS. End of story.

Cut to right after January 2010, Deadline Hollywood "broke" the exact same story... and Sony quickly admitted it while simultaneously announcing a reboot (that would become The Amazing Spider-Man).

My point is we've been down this road... many times. Never a bad thing to learn from the past.

Yep. The studio wants to control information, quite understandably, so they can manage the impact of news that might damage the perception of the production. People have to understand that, in this context, actors are employees of the production and may not be allowed to tell you the truth. They also are managing their own careers and are trying to manage their relationships with the studio--again, they're not chomping at the bit to reveal their career plans jut because someone at Comic Con asked them.

Anyone who's ever worked at an actual business should understand this. If the business is going to lay off 20 people they don't give them advanced warning, and if you're looking for work elsewhere you don't announced it to your employer and colleagues.

The report may be true or it may not, but one thing's for certain: nothing Ben said was an actually refutation.

Initially, most people thought that they might have planned a trilogy like Nolan's Bat-trilogy with Ben Affleck, but it could be something unconventional.

If they want to reboot the universe after the Flashpoint, then having a younger Batman in two movies might be the plan, thus providing Affleck a chance to exit this franchise after a solo Bat-movie.

But, rebooting would mean a complete team change, just like in X-men, they changed actors playing Magneto, Prof. Xavier, Cyclopes, Beast and Storm, WB might have to change actors playing Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and their supporting characters like Lois Lane, Perry White, Vulko, Hippolyta.

This looks quite unnecessary, especially after first Aquaman movie and two WW movies.

Or just Batman....

You know what? Just recast and that's it! Shut up and go!

You know what? Just recast and that's it! Shut up and go!

I don't quite know why everyone's trying to make this so complicated.

Christian Bale being recast before Dark Knight Rises would have been a huge problem. Ben Affleck being cast before The Batman is not, especially if the rumours of the amount of changes being wrought on the DCEU after Justice League are to be believed.

Just recast the damn role. No-one will care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"