DC Film Slate Announced By WB

the way I see it, WB lets their directors have creative freedom, regardless if they did it successfully or not. Marvel on the other hand wants safe, "people pleaser" movies that will surely earn them enough money.

the way I see it, WB lets their directors have creative freedom, regardless if they did it successfully or not. Marvel on the other hand wants safe, "people pleaser" movies that will surely earn them enough money.
Then you're choosing to see it that way, because the only person who seems to have gotten true creative freedom on any CBM property that I can see is Christopher Nolan, after he'd proven himself WB's golden goose. On paper, BB was a straight-forward formulaic studio superhero origin movie. Nolan was able to elevate it to something more, and after that is when he and his brother got to take over the scripting from Goyer on TDK. Martin Campbell nixed any possibility that he would work on the GL sequel long before that movie was released and bombed, so it didn't sound like he had the best experience there. When Zack Snyder was asked specifically whether he would bring other heroes into the MoS sequel to lead to the Justice League, he said he believed you would "need to get Superman a little further down the road first." A few months later, BvS was announced, and it sounded like he was basically just going along with what WB wanted. Then of course there's the revolving door of directors like McG, Tim Burton, Darren Aronofsky and George Miller who had superhero projects that fell apart with WB despite getting pretty far along into the pre-production phase before parting ways.

I saw just as much of James Gunn's creative personality in GotG as any other filmmaker in a DC flick, despite the fact that he was locked into the Marvel Studios game plan. And anyone familiar with Joss Whedon or Shane Black's work saw their creative voices all over The Avengers and IM3. But none of these people at either studio have complete creative freedom, and anyone who thinks so is just being naive, imo.

Last edited:
Of all the films on the slate,WW is the one Im most worried for.Modern day Greek fantasy movies are kind of a risk e.g Percy Jackson.They have to be really careful how they proceed with that one.

I agree Aquaman has the most Potential

what I meant with WB letting directors have creative freedom is that the control of WB storywise is minimal (i think, so far) compared to Marvel. All studios are controlled by executives but differ upto what extent. any director can have creative freedom especially if they fit on what studio executives wants, but if they don't they leave like Edgar Wright with Ant man, he left because of "creative differences" Also what I meant about movies being successful or not is if the director was able to "translate" with his movie what he's trying to say and if the audience understood to it. that's not a problem with a controlled, safe, people pleaser movies since risks are minimal. not saying they are good or bad its just studios think differently on how they approach movies.

regarding Snyder, I don't remember him explicitly saying Superman should get more solo movies. I think some thought it was implied, but regardless doesn't mean if they added more characters they can't develop Superman further. I still think BvS revolved around the Superman universe, I think I remember some articles before saying that. We don't know exactly if WB really did forced Snyder to add characters, at best it's just pure speculation.

Marvel is building a universe that they want to be tight but loose enough for everything to stand on its own so of course they have a general idea that they want executed, but directors are able to fill in everything else, just as Joss did.

It's hard to say that WB lets their directors have more creative freedom when we are only 1 movie into the new DC movieverse. They wont be letting these people just do whatever they want with the characters now that everything is being tied together. Even Joss Whedon had creative differences with WB when it came to WW causing him to drop out of it.

It's going to be very interesting to see what WB does with all these films.

Last edited:
Marvel is building a universe that they want to be tight but loose enough for everything to stand on its own so of course they have a general idea that they want executed, but directors are able to fill in everything else, just as Joss did.

It's hard to say that WB lets their directors have more creative freedom when we are only 1 movie into the new DC movieverse. They wont be letting these people just do whatever they want with the characters now that everything is being tied together. Even Joss Whedon had creative differences with WB when it came to WW causing him to drop out of it.

It's going to be very interesting to see what WB does with all these films.
This. :up:

honestly I think those old reported/almost made DC movies doesn't count since from the looks of it they are in no way connected to a bigger DC universe, they all look standalone movies like the Nolan trilogy, Superman Returns, Green Lantern and other lesser known DC movies. Man of Steel paved a way as a foundation for future DC movies so reported movies post MOS are the only ones I consider as to what WB/DC really want. those old movies eventually fall apart because they are not aligned (I think) to the new DC universe they want.

like everyone else, I'm still waiting on how WB will connect their recently announced movies, especially how Suicide Squad will connect to BvS or even if all of those movies are connected or not in a single universe.

honestly I think those old reported/almost made DC movies doesn't count since from the looks of it they are in no way connected to a bigger DC universe, they all look standalone movies like the Nolan trilogy, Superman Returns, Green Lantern and other lesser known DC movies. Man of Steel paved a way as a foundation for future DC movies so reported movies post MOS are the only ones I consider as to what WB/DC really want. those old movies eventually fall apart because they are not aligned (I think) to the new DC universe they want.
So basically your claim of more creative freedom for the directors at DC was also "pure speculation," considering the only ones you're counting are the ones part of a bigger DC universe, which contains all of one completed film at this point, a film that was advertised off the bat as being "guided" or "godfathered" by the bigger-name executive producer. Otherwise, you're talking about WB allowing more creative freedom for movies that haven't been produced yet. That seems like quite an assumption to me, especially when evidence from Snyders interviews pre- and post-MOS's release strongly suggests that WB made him add these characters to his Superman sequel.

Last edited:
So basically your claim of more creative freedom for the directors at DC was also "pure speculation," considering the only ones you're counting are the ones part of a bigger DC universe, which contains all of one completed film at this point, a film that was advertised off the bat as being "guided" or "godfathered" by the bigger-name executive producer. Otherwise, you're talking about WB allowing more creative freedom for movies that haven't been produced yet. That seems like quite an assumption to me, especially when evidence from Snyders interviews pre- and post-MOS's release strongly suggests that WB made him add these characters to his Superman sequel.

isn't that what I said? I said in post #527 that it's "the way I see it" and I was just sharing it here. the "evidence" you're saying that Snyder added characters post MOS because WB forced him is also a speculation. I brought up Wright leaving Ant man because it's out in the open that he left because of creative differences proving Marvel is in control. I shared why I think DC is different since back then I think they are not considering a shared movie universe, only when MOS was released that everything become clear to them.

Last edited:
isn't that what I said? I said in post #527 that it's "the way I see it" and I was just sharing it here. the "evidence" you're saying that Snyder added characters post MOS is also a speculation.
It's fine that you see it that way, I was just pointing out that there's little by way of facts to support such a claim.

Also, the "evidence" I'm referring to is in the interviews Snyder gave during MoS's press tour that apparently contradicted what ultimately came to pass with his sequel. "You gotta get Superman a little further down the road first." That's an exact quote from Snyder when asked about the Justice League for the sequel from his MOS-release interview with Collider. Which STRONGLY suggests that he had planned on making an actual Superman sequel at that time. So no, it's just some baseless speculation, but I'll compromise with "educated speculation," sure. ;)

it was almost like it was implied but still a speculation, it's going to be different however if Snyder explicit said a plan that later on changed.

with the things going on, Snyder is still going to the path he earlier planned. I don't see any contradiction at all. he's still going to develop Superman's character however with added other superheroes already in BvS (we don't even know how big their roles in the movie), then he'll make Justice League which was also announced he's going to direct.

Hope dc film can snatch up Duncan jones to direct one theirfilms before Marvel swoops in.The guy is a rising talent

Mathew Vaughn really wanted to make a superman film and I really hope he gets the chance because he a fantastic director.

I'd love to see a Matthew Vaughn Superman film. Or any other CBM he's talked about wanting to make, lol. And if it gets him away from Mark Millar, that would be a nice bonus. :oldrazz:

As flickchick has demonstrated, this is very much not true.
Snyder originally envisioned MoS as a stand alone movie; look at where we are now. I'm guessing that was a studio mandate. He also wanted a direct sequel to MoS, but instead is now making what is essentially a JL prequel movie. Once again, a studio mandate it seems. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that maybe WB is shoehorning in these extra characters (Flash, Wonder Woman, Cyborg) as well?
You claim they allow creative freedom and marvel does not, but James Gunn, Shane Black, the Russo brothers, and Joss Whedom would all disagree with you.

Hope dc film can snatch up Duncan jones to direct one theirfilms before Marvel swoops in.The guy is a rising talent

Duncan Jones met WB and Fox to direct The Wolverine and Man Of Steel. Jones was offered the last Judge Dredd movie as well.

I think it is only a matter of time before Duncan Jones directs a comic book movie. If Warcraft is a hit his stock will go up even more.

As flickchick has demonstrated, this is very much not true.
Snyder originally envisioned MoS as a stand alone movie; look at where we are now. I'm guessing that was a studio mandate. He also wanted a direct sequel to MoS, but instead is now making what is essentially a JL prequel movie. Once again, a studio mandate it seems. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that maybe WB is shoehorning in these extra characters (Flash, Wonder Woman, Cyborg) as well?
You claim they allow creative freedom and marvel does not, but James Gunn, Shane Black, the Russo brothers, and Joss Whedom would all disagree with you.
MOS was a stand alone movie.
Snyder is on record stating he is the one that put forth adding batman. That's where we are now. If it was also his idea to add wonderwoman and get that moving along, I think fanboys and girls everywhere owe him more than he's been given thus far.

As for studio control, speculation is an interesting thing however you have Edgar Wright and the whole Thor2 situation very much shouting as to the fact. Moreover, you do bring up those directors and it's a valid point(that they are making their own films in a way) but that seems very much a phase two sort of deal. Just thinking of what happened to Fav during IM2 and his departure after the fact...I mean...it's kinda obvious at this point no.

As for this speculation that Snyder doesn't want to be adding all these leaguers and helming the next two jla movies...I suppose the same thing could be suggested about the Russo's now. But make no mistake that it is speculation.

I personally see alot of identity in these phase 2 movies, not so much the first phase. However between MOS/TDKT, I see Snyder and Nolan all over.
The Campbell situation mostly proves this really comes down to the producers assigned.

The way I see it. If Alfonso Cauron was brought on to direct a DC movie, it would look and feel like a Cauron movie through and through, for better or worse. If this same person was brought on to a marvel film, it would depend on which phase. It was during that first phase that marvel seemed more hands on and safe for it really was the time when no mistakes(or chances) were really allowed. WB has superman forced to kill in their first movie, and largely due in part to the Directors own notes, hardly safe.

Either way, as said above the DCU is only one film in. Hardly enough to judge.
Speaking as to WB, I've never seen a director given as much tent pole freedom as Nolan(save for Cameron). But then there's Campbell.

Snyder is on record stating he is the one that put forth adding batman. That's where we are now. If it was also his idea to add wonderwoman and get that moving along, I think fanboys and girls everywhere owe him more than he's been given thus far.

As for studio control, speculation is an interesting thing however you have Edgar Wright and the whole Thor2 situation very much shouting as to the fact. Moreover, you do bring up those directors and it's a valid point(that they are making their own films in a way) but that seems very much a phase two sort of deal. Just thinking of what happened to Fav during IM2 and his departure after the fact...I mean...it's kinda obvious at this point no.

As for this speculation that Snyder doesn't want to be adding all these leaguers and helming the next two jla movies...I suppose the same thing could be suggested about the Russo's now. But make no mistake that it is speculation.

I personally see alot of identity in these phase 2 movies, not so much the first phase. However between MOS/TDKT, I see Snyder and Nolan all over.
The Campbell situation mostly proves this really comes down to the producers assigned.

The way I see it. If Alfonso Cauron was brought on to direct a DC movie, it would look and feel like a Cauron movie through and through, for better or worse. If this same person was brought on to a marvel film, it would depend on which phase. It was during that first phase that marvel seemed more hands on and safe for it really was the time when no mistakes(or chances) were really allowed. WB has superman forced to kill in their first movie, and largely due in part to the Directors own notes, hardly safe.

Speaking as to WB, I've never seen a director given as much tent pole freedom as Nolan(save for Cameron). But then there's Campbell.

I don't think I worded that as well as I would have liked, so let me rephrase my previous statement: MoS was, according to Snyder once he got hired, intended to be it's own thing apart from a connected cinematic universe. I remember hearing that a while back, and when I asked a couple weeks ago if that was true I got this post in response:
When Snyder was still fresh from the hire, WB's JL was still in the works. As such Snyder definitively said at a red carpet event that Superman was going to be its own thing, and JL was something else.
Clearly something changed along the way, as not too long after he backpedaled and stated he wanted to get Superman's house back in order first.
Just another example that WB isn't giving their film makers a ton of creative freedom as the original poster suggested.
Also as Flickchick perfectly put it, no studio is above placing mandates and restrictions on film makers. Every one does that. But the idea that Marvel rules with an iron fist and WB gives their directors a lot of wriggle room is flat out incorrect.

:up:

don't get how people are reacting that by adding Batman, Wonder Woman (whos extent of roles are unknown), Zack Snyder can't put the house of Supes in order.

Mostly can't wait for The Flash. Suicide Squad is a close second. Then the Justice League films, then Wonder Woman, then the others are about even.

We'll know how WB/DC treats their directors a few films from now. Right now it's mostly speculation.

We do know that Marvel imposes tight limits.

Would Patty Jenkins, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright and even Jon Favreau then agree with him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"