DC Film Slate Announced By WB

MOS was a stand alone movie.
Snyder is on record stating he is the one that put forth adding batman. That's where we are now. If it was also his idea to add wonderwoman and get that moving along, I think fanboys and girls everywhere owe him more than he's been given thus far.

Do you really believe that?

Would Patty Jenkins, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright and even Jon Favreau then agree with him?

In addition to that, guys like James Gunn have no choice but to do as Marvel pleases, they're not big shots.

Would Patty Jenkins, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright and even Jon Favreau then agree with him?

Once again, no one is saying that Marvel doesn't exert creative control over their films; the thing is, they are willing to give free reign and control to the directors to a certain extent. They go in wanting to check off certain boxes, set up certain things for the next film, have their characters act in a certain way as not to break continuity.
The thing is, however, they are very upfront about it with the hired talent. If you work with Marvel, you know basically from the get-go that they have the final say in a lot of things and that if you work within their boundaries you can make the movie you want to. That is why James Gunn, Joss, Shane Black, and the Russo brothers all have had a great working relationship with Marvel. I read an interview from the Russo brothers where they were basically saying that they walked in, pitched their movie to Marvel, and Marvel was like, "Perfect. Let's do it". And that was it. Marvel liked their pitch, and let them make their movie.
As I said earlier, they (and every other movie studio) exert creative control in each of their films but at the end of the day Marvel has shown it is possible to work within their boundaries and make the movie you want to make.

The more I hear about Suicide Squad, the more it's neck-in-neck with Batman V. Superman for my most anticipated film of 2016. Never thought that would happen.

Their slate would be more interesting if this was their equivalent to the Trojan War. If Darkseid is the ultimate baddie then the films should be a chronicle of a ten or more year battle against his invasion forces.

SO....not trying to start a flamewar but what do you guys think about what Amell said about the DC slate? I gotta admit, the guy's got a point, he said:

Quote:
I thought that the way that Warner Bros. announced the slate of DC movies could have been handled better. And I think someone like Grant Gustin, who has just launched an iconic character like the Flash to record-breaking numbers, numbers that far-surpassed Arrow’s numbers, he should have been given a wider berth than two episodes before another actor was announced to play his character. All that being said, that’s because I’m protective of Grant, and that’s because I think producing 23 episodes of superhero television is more difficult than producing a feature film. And it’s 23 episodes again, and again, and again.

Link: http://comicbook.com/2014/11/14/step...-tv-universes/

Gotta say, eventhough you can tell he disagrees with it, he's being very professional about his opinion, but I do agree it was odd that they barely gave Grant the chance before saying "HEY EVERYONE, there'a a bigger and better version with an entirely different actor coming in a couple of years!" This is what I've been afraid was gonna happen for a while, DC creating competition within its own brand and you can already see its starting.

SO....not trying to start a flamewar but what do you guys think about what Amell said about the DC slate? I gotta admit, the guy's got a point, he said:

Link: http://comicbook.com/2014/11/14/step...-tv-universes/

Gotta say, eventhough you can tell he disagrees with it, he's being very professional about his opinion, but I do agree it was odd that they barely gave Grant the chance before saying "HEY EVERYONE, there'a a bigger and better version with an entirely different actor coming in a couple of years!" This is what I've been afraid was gonna happen for a while, DC creating competition within its own brand and you can already see its starting.
The problem with this is two fold. Firstly, Amell never shuts up about wanting to keep these things separate and how proud he is that they are. That there is another flash and that it has little to do with his world really shouldn't be his issue whatsoever(not saying that it is).

Secondly, WB never announced anything in the manner in which should have been handled differently. If anything they have been criticized by the detractors for not putting on a show or doing it at con. This is very much because they were simply doing their behind conference doors business and it got out. Just imagine they had Izra dancing around on stage doing rock paper scissors and such and being presented as 'The Flash'(the that matters).
The movie hasn't even been announced yet.

That being said, does announcing a (separate)flash movie hurt or help the show? I assume announcing a grant movie helps more than anything but a different universe movie? That's like asking if announcing a different batman movie helps gotham the show. Seems pretty obvious.

just saying.
no matter what they do they encounter some form of accusation.

The more I hear about Suicide Squad, the more it's neck-in-neck with Batman V. Superman for my most anticipated film of 2016. Never thought that would happen.
It's shot up for me since the original announcement although still slightly below BvS.

The problem with this is two fold. Firstly, Amell never shuts up about wanting to keep these things separate and how proud he is that they are. That there is another flash and that it has little to do with his world really shouldn't be his issue whatsoever(not saying that it is).

Secondly, WB never announced anything in the manner in which should have been handled differently. If anything they have been criticized by the detractors for not putting on a show or doing it at con. This is very much because they were simply doing their behind conference doors business and it got out. Just imagine they had Izra dancing around on stage doing rock paper scissors and such and being presented as 'The Flash'(the that matters).
The movie hasn't even been announced yet.

That being said, does announcing a (separate)flash movie hurt or help the show? I assume announcing a grant movie helps more than anything but a different universe movie? That's like asking if announcing a different batman movie helps gotham the show. Seems pretty obvious.

just saying.
no matter what they do they encounter some form of accusation.

Perception is sometimes the reality. If Marvel are going all out with extravagant events outside the cons and engaging their audience it casts a negative light on WB if they're slate was announced at an investors meeting, because it makes it looks as if their priorities are different with regards to these properties. Like it or not Amell has a point with regards to Gustin, for some people the perception is it's disrespectful to a degree that two weeks after he begins playing the Flash someone else is announced to be playing the same character in a bigger production. That may be the nature of Hollywood but at the same time it doesn't looks great from a PR perspective. The thing is the game has changed now for superhero films, Marvel is the cool brand and justifiably so given their consistency and engagement with their audience and have thus bred loyalty. It isn't enough for WB to just announce films, they've got to develop the DC brand if they want the same results.

To be honest...and I hate to say it...but I'm not excited for any of DC's upcoming films.
I feel like the TV side of things is doing vastly better than the films Warner Brothers has been pushing out. I didn't like Man of Steel. And I have way more doubts about the BvS film than I do excitement. Meanwhile, Arrow and Flash have been fantastic. I greatly enjoy their tv side of things.

Yeah, judging by your past comments, I'm sure you reeeeally hate to say it. Heh.

Perception is sometimes the reality. If Marvel are going all out with extravagant events outside the cons and engaging their audience it casts a negative light on WB if they're slate was announced at an investors meeting, because it makes it looks as if their priorities are different with regards to these properties. Like it or not Amell has a point with regards to Gustin, for some people the perception is it's disrespectful to a degree that two weeks after he begins playing the Flash someone else is announced to be playing the same character in a bigger production. That may be the nature of Hollywood but at the same time it doesn't looks great from a PR perspective. The thing is the game has changed now for superhero films, Marvel is the cool brand and justifiably so given their consistency and engagement with their audience and have thus bred loyalty. It isn't enough for WB to just announce films, they've got to develop the DC brand if they want the same results.
I agree. Marvel has gone to extensive lengths to establish themselves as the brand "of the people." WB hasn't made much PR effort in the name of the DC brand at all, and maybe they don't feel like that kind of public opinion matters very much. After all, they make movies from their DC characters that generally make money...sometimes A LOT of money. So maybe they feel like pandering to the fans/public the way Marvel does would be a waste of time/effort/money. But I think as long as they continue feel that way, the king daddy icon of all superheroes will continue to get out-grossed by no-name properties from the competition.

It's not that they don't care, it's that it's their first official wave of films, compared to Marvel's third. Walk before you run.

But no, let's pretend that if DC did something similar to what Marvel did there still wouldn't be fans lining up around the block to find something to criticize about it. :o

On the Marvel side of things, out of the new movies (not including sequels), Captain Marvel is the only one I'm interested in. Whereas with DC, there's Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Justice League, The Flash and Aquaman. :yay:

It's not that they don't care, it's that it's their first official wave of films, compared to Marvel's third. Walk before you run.

But no, let's pretend that if DC did something similar to what Marvel did there still wouldn't be fans lining up around the block to find something to criticize about it. :o

It would be a different reception had WB done it before Marvel because it would show initiative. To be fair though they are not bound to make superhero films and their slate is far from concrete, but if they and other studios want a piece of the same pie Marvel are getting they are going to have to start engaging with the audience like what Marvel are doing. Marvel doesn't even need the cons anymore, that's how big they've gotten and how much good will they've generated. They've become the Apple of movie studios.

I doubt they'd recieve much, if any, flack if they had they released their slate at a fan convention or a con instead of an investors meeting. Hell, NY comic con ended three days prior to this news releasing. You're telling me they couldn't have done something there if they wanted to?
You can complain about the criticism all you'd like, but sometimes it's justified.

WB/DC is damned if they do and damned if they don't

no winning with fans who will criticize everything up until their movies are released.

I'll give DC credit when they announce good directors and writers for their films.

I guess they have a respected director for Suicide Squad ... though the writers for Aquaman sounded like losers IIRC.

let's keep the negativity guys! remember DC doesn't know what they are doing! :hehe:

Do people believe that this is the actual slate?

Why would WB lie at a shareholders meeting?

I'll give DC credit when they announce good directors and writers for their films.

I guess they have a respected director for Suicide Squad ... though the writers for Aquaman sounded like losers IIRC.

Chris Terrio, David Ayer, and possibly James Wan seems like a good start to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"