Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 4

I really hope he was lying. Deadpool needs to be in the MCU

But the other person did, which is why they'd be pursuing it. Studios don't mess around with NDAs. Not just FOX would do something like this, most studios would.
I understand that, but they would have no case against the reporter.

I understand that, but they would have no case against the reporter.

It's intimidation and using the legal system to get him to out his source. Legal fees, etc. It's common. Again, this is not exclusively something FOX would do.

Does he?

I mean, I love pineapple sorbet and I love pineapple pizza, buuuut...
Well, yeah, he does. He's been a part of the wider MU, having crossovers with numerous characters for years. All Marvel characters belong under the same roof.

In fact, there should be a possibility for R-rated MCU films that deal with more serious themes. Like Iger said - the branding would need to make that clear to audiences. Maybe a "Marvel Knights" banner

On the flip side, they don't seem to have an issue with positive leaks.

I can see a another unit of Marvel Studios being formed.

Of course not. That is good press, so long as a major spoiler isn't revealed. But still, I wouldn't hold anything against FOX specifically for that because it is standard, and the reported if they were not aware could be in this type of position should have been more aware.

I've read it being described as more of an Alien 3 situation. IM2 type I can deal with no problem.

What bugs me is how Fox reportedly reacted towards one of the people conferring some of reports (who hadn't signed a NDA). I would not have given any of the rumors a second thought had they simply not reacted at all and let the film answer on its own.

My concern is that this is Fox. If there is a way to screw something good up, they'll find it.
I find that hard to believe.

Well, yeah, he does. He's been a part of the wider MU, having crossovers with numerous characters for years. All Marvel characters belong under the same roof.

In fact, there should be a possibility for R-rated MCU films that deal with more serious themes. Like Iger said - the branding would need to make that clear to audiences. Maybe a "Marvel Knights" banner

So, first a question: what is it that you hope someone is lying about that would have any effect on whether Deadpool was in the MCU?

Second, I'm really not convinced that a particular banner would make any such thing clear to audiences, it hasn't so far. Besides crossovers work as promotions for the solo movies. You can't promote an R-Rated character in a PG-13 film and keep the branding clear and separate.

That said, if we're just talking about the character, and not the Ryan Reynolds franchise, yes, obviously, bring 'em.

Of course not. That is good press, so long as a major spoiler isn't revealed. But still, I wouldn't hold anything against FOX specifically for that because it is standard, and the reported if they were not aware could be in this type of position should have been more aware.
It's not exactly the contention of them using legal pressure in order to silence that I primarily take issue with. It's really the depth of their involvement in the project.

Bearing in mind that DeadPool was more or less successful because of minimal involvement on Fox's part. It could be that more involvement on their behalf may upset the environment that spawned the first film. Granted we won't know until the finished product is released, and that the sequel does have the success of the first film going for it.

I find that hard to believe.
and that's fair. The one element that isn't in Fox's favor is consistency. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they'd drive this project off of a cliff in an attempt to maximize capitalization. In any film you're always going to have some people who speak ill of the finished project. What strikes me is that they would be reacting that harshly. In the end those voices will get drowned out by the chorus of positive, so why bother in the first place?

I read the issues that are circling around Deadpool 2.

Considering we still know very little about the movie, if there's any truth to the rumors, to be perfectly honest, nothing I read sounds all that bad. It seems there's only one thing that's controversial, which I kind of understand. On the other hand, I understand why it would happen from a story perspective if it is real. Calling it an Alien 3 situation is dumb.

Now if it's about execution, the movie is still in post-production.

Avengers for a long time had that AWFUl framing device with Maria Hill that doesn't work and was taken out. But that's how the movie was originally going to start and end, and it was terrible.

I mean if I had known rumors about the movie starting and ending that way, it would've been a bit of a letdown. And there were a lot of fake rumors going around about Avengers.

Now look at Kingsman. You had a really good first movie and then a really awful sequel that ruined a lot of good things about the first film. And we didn't hear anything about how that film tested.

With regards to Deadpool I only have one concern, does the humor land? If it does, then I'm good to go.

To me, its just silly to rush developing these films especially when you have the New Mutants delayed for almost a year and Gambit can't get a director to start production. Dark Phoenix would probably suck which would be a problem later down the road.

Anyway, Marvel would just squash most of these films under development and would streamline Marvel movies (3 to 4 films) for quality/quantity control. Anyway, Fox is wasting time. What they should do is wait and see for now, until the deal is done and just focus on 1 to 2 films that have yet to start filming.

I agree. With all Marvel (Disney) has on their plate, i feel doing anything with the Xmen/FF franchise right now, would be getting over their heads..

Even after Fantastic Four 2, there was still lots of talk about the Silver Surfer movie getting made and how it would feature "genuine" Galactus. All that talk eventually died.

That sucks, cause i'd really love to see a proper surfer movie made.. AND A proper glimpse of Galactus.

Plus, I think Disney is getting too big. What's next, are they going to buy out Hulu, ATT and LG so you have to buy their products to watch your favorite superhero?

That i agree with. I've even heard it suggested, that the way things might go in 2-4 years, is you'd have to sign UP For some streaming service to get your superhero show/film fix..

I tend to like the option of death less and prefer retirement. That way you can bring them back in a mentor role or something like that, and the character still evolves. But I agree, if they die/retire, let it stick! It frustrates me.

That's one thing as a kid, i got turned OFF with in many comics. How some person would die (often heroically), then a few dozen issues later, HEY THEY ARE BACK.. The death was erased somehow.. Which to me watered DOWN the sacrifice they made..

The basis of X-Men is centered around social issues and how their struggle mirrors real-world minorites. It wouldn't be "forced" at all if the movie was political considering the X-Men have always been political.

Strange, i never really felt that the older comics (those from the 70s-90s) showed them 'mirroring real world minorities..

BUT that might also be, cause back then i was a teen and really only read them for the action/story, not the under-wrote sub-plot..

Not that some quota needs to be met or that there's a race to get it done first, though if I'm not mistaken, Power Rangers did that with the Yellow Ranger.

To me, it does seem like many films seem to have one or two token gays, lesbians etc, just to hit a 'quota' of diversity people..

Just stay true to what the characters look like in the comics. The X-Men are so diverse anyway.

Agreed. The characters as they existed in the comics are already just that, and it worked. Stay true to the source material.

Very true. Over the many iterations the Xmen have been very diverse, without needing to change the race/gender of any of the core characters..

If they change some of the characters you are talking about there will be a huge backlash. Bank on it.

Especially if they do it, just because they want to be 'more diverse'..

Magneto is a tough cookie because race is important for him, but is it too many years for him to be a Holocaust survivor? If they're married to that idea, he could have been experimented on by Hydra and he can stay Jewish. Otherwise, we may need a new historical event.

True, even if Eric was only 5 during the Holocaust, that would STILL make him what, close to 80 now...

Eh, I'd take a movie with a race-swapped Cyclops or Iceman or Wolverine over one starring guys like Forge, Bishop etc. any day of the week.

I'd LOVE to see a properly done Bishop or Forge..

I would be okay with a Wolverine in WWII meeting the Howling Commandos flashback :up:

That would be sweet!!!

Exactly :up:

People are going to want to see the popular ones.

Who's popular do we go by?

Let me be the first to endorse the idea of Jeffrey Wright as Hank. Kelsey Beast was by far the best thing about TLS and Mr. Wright should be able to bring a similar bearing to the character.

I've seen Wright in many roles, but i don't think he's got the bulk to do beast justice imo.

Someone like Monet is stronger just as smart and has way better powerset. She'd be a excellent tank instead of a Colossus or rogue for example. X-MEN didn't stop with the animated series

From my days reading the letters to the editor in the early days of Monet in Gen X, many people HATED The fact she was made 'so perfect'..

Well, i've gone through page 2-6 (since those are the only ones from this month, man there's been a LOT of chatter on this).. So off to split my replies into 2.

it's like if Marvel slipped Avengers 4 off the docket and replaced it with Strike Force Morituri. Cool characters, not cool enough.

OI. Don't knock Strikeforce Morituri. I liked them as a kid.. Admittedly no where near as much as the various Xmen titles, but still i liked them a heck of a lot more than others (visionaries, inhumanoids).

True. Valkyrie is evidence that race-swapping an established A-lister (in terms of the Thor franchise)

Maybe its cause i didn' get that many thor comics (compared to say silver surfer, or hell, even ZOIDS/Transformers) but i never even HEARD of valkerie, till i heard chatter that they would be putting her INTO Thor 3...

Professor X himself is another I think is prime for a change, namely because Denzel Washington as Charles would be utter perfection.

Why do you think Charles needs to be changed though?
Part of what makes charles what he is, IS his ties to old money. Such AS him having that expansive land for the X-mansion.

Don't change anyone for the sake of changing. Forced diversity is the worst diversity.

Seconded

Thirded..

Back in the military, i knew plenty of people who had FUN and enjoyed taking part in the various "Monthly Heritage months (womens month, black month etc). BUT most EVERYONE i knew who was forced into participating in them, resented it cause of being forced into it.
Much like i know many folk who are very UNcharitible, when they've been pushed into GIVING to charity. BUT when they were left to their own devices, were a lot MORE charitable..

No. Especially in entertainment, the idea of doing things regardless of hurt feelings is unprofitable, and moreover, unnecessary. You can change things as needed and still have an understanding, even empathy of people's hurt feelings and manage those.

Too true. Just look at how POORLY the revised Ghostbusters, did compared to the original, when you take inflation into account.

Original Domestic Total Adj. Gross: $588,942,100
Revised one Domestic Total Gross: $128,350,574

Barely 1/4 the value.

Yeah and Laura became the new Wolverine. The character was also introduced onscreen to great acclaim in Logan.

OK. People are expecting Logan. So what? Change it anyway. Why not? There's already precedence for this. X-23/Laura took on the role of Wolverine after he died.

But she was also what, 12-13? And it was in an alternate Future where all the other mutants were killed off.. So how then do you make a CURRENT time like X-men with her in as an adult??

Armor is a great character

Maybe i've been out of comics too long, but who the hell's armor?

No matter what Kevin Feige says, Captain America really didn't need that dumb first Avenger subtitle. It was a marketing gimmick because there's nothing in the film about Cap being the first Avenger

From my remembering lore on comics, wasn't the torch one of the first ones, then came cap A??

I'll side with the Uncanny vote on this one.

Uncanny sounds good to me too!

So, partially in preparation for receiving the Fox assets, Disney has created a new division for Direct-to-Consumer products and streaming services. Namely ESPN+, Disney's coming consolidated OTT service, their Hulu stake, and will be the division in which Star and Sky will be placed (assuming they get both).

You start to get an idea how the Fox assets will align to this new Corporate Structure.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/walt-disney-company-announces-strategic-reorganization/

Why do you think Charles needs to be changed though?
Part of what makes charles what he is, IS his ties to old money. Such AS him having that expansive land for the X-mansion.
I don't think Charles NEEDS to be changed. I just think that Denzel Washington would be the best choice today to play him.

Back in the military, i knew plenty of people who had FUN and enjoyed taking part in the various "Monthly Heritage months (womens month, black month etc). BUT most EVERYONE i knew who was forced into participating in them, resented it cause of being forced into it.
Much like i know many folk who are very UNcharitible, when they've been pushed into GIVING to charity. BUT when they were left to their own devices, were a lot MORE charitable..

And how do you know is diversity is "forced" or not? Certain fans just always jump to claims of "forced diversity" and never stop to think that maybe the actor in question was simply best for the role. And that's ignoring two big facts: First, given past trends in Hollywood, diversity isn't going to become the norm without it being intentionally integrated. Second, if ANY franchise should have a "diversity quota", it should be the X-Men.

Maybe i've been out of comics too long, but who the hell's armor?

ArmorX-Men.png

Awesome character, young leader, flashy powerset that would look incredible on screen. For a franchise team that will hopefully be skewing young and diverse, she's a must, in my opinion.

Strange, i never really felt that the older comics (those from the 70s-90s) showed them 'mirroring real world minorities..

BUT that might also be, cause back then i was a teen and really only read them for the action/story, not the under-wrote sub-plot..
They were indeed. Some of them their most iconic stories in fact. Days of Future Past, God Loves Man Kills, X-Cutioner's Song, Mutant Genesis (both part 1 and 2.0) etc. Etc

sefsKKe.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I wanna see the classic Patrick Stewart type Prof X in the mcu, I do agree that Denzel would be an awesome choice for the role. I'm dying to see him in a CBM and a role like Charles would be great. Usually Id rather characters just look as they do in the comics, but I'm fine with a few changes. Valkyrie ended up being great.

And how do you know is diversity is "forced" or not? Certain fans just always jump to claims of "forced diversity" and never stop to think that maybe the actor in question was simply best for the role. And that's ignoring two big facts:

My comment of it being forced, was based on what i saw in the military. To where if you DIDN'T go to those events (even if say you was too buys working) you got marked DOWN on evals, or willingly overlooked for other stuff. Basically punishing you for not participating. So to ME, that's being forced..

As to the 'actor may be best' for the roll. Certainly, that MIGHT be the case.
IE if they looked at 20 actors for the roll, 8 whites, 4 asians, 5 blacks and 3 latinos for the roll, and selected a black guy for a normally white roll, i'd have no issue.
BUT if they ONLY looked at 8 actors, all black, for that normally white roll (Cause the character in all lore is white), then to ME that would be forcing the issue..

Awesome character, young leader, flashy powerset that would look incredible on screen.

Thanks for the pic. Must be so new, that's why i don't know about who she was..

My comment of it being forced, was based on what i saw in the military. To where if you DIDN'T go to those events (even if say you was too buys working) you got marked DOWN on evals, or willingly overlooked for other stuff. Basically punishing you for not participating. So to ME, that's being forced..

As to the 'actor may be best' for the roll. Certainly, that MIGHT be the case.
IE if they looked at 20 actors for the roll, 8 whites, 4 asians, 5 blacks and 3 latinos for the roll, and selected a black guy for a normally white roll, i'd have no issue.
BUT if they ONLY looked at 8 actors, all black, for that normally white roll (Cause the character in all lore is white), then to ME that would be forcing the issue.

Does your time in the military have anything to do with casting feature films?

What is the proper response to forced lack of diversity that is upheld by tradition? Go along with that forcedness because it was 30-60 years ago and we're all used to it?

Even the first incarnation of the team, way back in 1963, was diverse by the standards of its time:

-- The leader is paraplegic.
-- One team member is a girl.
-- Bobby is (at first) coded as younger and much more immature than the others; more analogous to a "kid sidekick" like Snapper Carr or Rick Jones than a full-fledged teammate.
-- The others have abnormal bodies that have to be covered up in order for them to "pass" for ordinary.

The reboot twelve years later made the team diverse by the standards of its day, with racial minorities, non-American characters (including a Russian loyal to the Soviet government!), and -- after Jean rejoined the team -- two girls.

I don't think it's too much to expect that an X-Men film released in 2023 be diverse by the standards of 2023, not the standards of 1963 or 1975. Being true to the spirit of the work demands it, so the idea that taking a character created at a time when making all your major characters white was something you did without even thinking about it and reimagining her/him as Black or Latino is "forcing" diversity doesn't sit well with me.

As for the assertion that Xavier needs to be "old money," look at how old this guy's money is. There are African-American families with wealth that goes back a sufficient number of generations to satisfy that demand, so I don't accept that "Xavier needs to be rich" means "Xavier needs to be white."

As for the assertion that Xavier needs to be "old money," look at how old this guy's money is. There are African-American families with wealth that goes back a sufficient number of generations to satisfy that demand, so I don't accept that "Xavier needs to be rich" means "Xavier needs to be white."
In that case, make him Asian because the black guy-in-charge couldn't be more of a token cliche next to military background and tough guy from the streets.

In that case, make him Asian because the black guy-in-charge couldn't be more of a token cliche next to military background and tough guy from the streets.
Now that you mention it, I'm more concerned that Denzel Xavier would read as Jackson's Nick Fury in a wheelchair (even if he's written nothing like Nick).

Asian-American Prof. X? I could see it. There are many, many ways for them to play it.

Does your time in the military have anything to do with casting feature films?

No, but i was trying (and failing it seems) to make a comparison that changing it up JUST BECAUSE we need to hit certain 'diversity' wickets', is similar. Forcing diversity just for the sake of it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"