Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Given the reports about Emma Stone's salary request, I couldn't help but think that she may have wanted top billing as well. Which got me thinking that if they want a top name actress for Sue, they may end up giving her equal billing with Adam Driver or whoever plays Reed.

It’s funny to see them evidently chasing A-listers so hard for this one, more so than any other MCU project. I wonder if it’s just because the other botched take on the F4 was so (relatively) recent and they think star-power is going to get doubters on-board.

Well it’s one thing to approach A-listers, and it’s another to give them A-list money.

Let’s see how it shakes out, but I’m not going to get excited about big names they didn’t hire.

Frankly I don’t care about A-Listers or want A-Listers beyond the idea that I want this to be a big. Important film for Marvel.

I’d rather they spend more on writers, production designers, special effects etc. than big marquee names. But realistically one typically goes with the other.

No offense to Matt Shakman (Who I think is a talented director with a lot of potential), but we heard they might be going after a Spielberg-type director, but instead we got a guy who hasn’t done a big film yet.

Emma Stone was already Gwen Stacy which is now connected to the MCU.

I'm glad she wanted a bigger paycheck, because I want someone else for the role.
It’s funny to see them evidently chasing A-listers so hard for this one, more so than any other MCU project. I wonder if it’s just because the other botched take on the F4 was so (relatively) recent and they think star-power is going to get doubters on-board.

Obviously. This reboot needs all the help it could get.

honestly I think the introduce the F4 into the MCU is a draw enough, that they don't need huge names... there's such a thing as playing it too safe

I personally wouldn't mind some lesser known/up and comes, in the role(s)

maybe one well-known name in the cast (even in a supporting role) for the press tours, to promote the movie

all I care about is that they get the characters right, and give us a good story

Last edited:
I kinda wish they return to the tone of the first Iron Man. In visuals, writing, and so on. Groundedness. Secret Invasion seems to be going that direction
Hope so. I'm really. Looking forward to it. :)

I am not married to any specific stars. So Stone passing is fine. If they had gotten her, she would have been great I am sure, but so could other people.

As for the whole she was Gwen thing, couldn't care less about that. Different universe, so her being another character in films that were part of a different universe and franchise is frankly meaningless to me.

honestly I think the introduce the F4 into the MCU is a draw enough, that they don't need huge names... there's such a thing as playing it too safe

This is definitely true for us, and I think it would be true for more casual fans if Marvel was still firing on all cylinders.

But I’m afraid Marvel has done a lot of damage since Endgame, and casual fans are losing interest.

I hope they turn that around by going all out on a genre redefining FF that is visually unique and more intense than Marvel’s normal formula while understanding and capturing elements that made FF #1 so groundbreaking.

That should help reinvigorate the brand, but it also couldn’t hurt to use some actors who could bring some of those casual fans back and get tgem excited again.

I am not married to any specific stars. So Stone passing is fine. If they had gotten her, she would have been great I am sure, but so could other people.

As for the whole she was Gwen thing, couldn't care less about that. Different universe, so her being another character in films that were part of a different universe and franchise is frankly meaningless to me.

Given the history of multiverses in the comics and what they’ve already with the multi-verse in the MCU, it wouldn’t just be okay to have one actress playing two different characters, but it would almost make more sense than not doing it.

I think Margot Robbie will probably be playing Sue. But I think JLaw would also be perfect. 20230521_144650.jpg

This is definitely true for us, and I think it would be true for more casual fans if Marvel was still firing on all cylinders.

But I’m afraid Marvel has done a lot of damage since Endgame, and casual fans are losing interest.

I hope they turn that around by going all out on a genre redefining FF that is visually unique and more intense than Marvel’s normal formula while understanding and capturing elements that made FF #1 so groundbreaking.

That should help reinvigorate the brand, but it also couldn’t hurt to use some actors who could bring some of those casual fans back and get tgem excited again.

GOTG 3 is making a good argument for a turn around

tumblr_mf52pxoc5L1r6y67yo1_500.gif

Even though I am in the minority on her being Sue (I think 99% are against it), I still think Emily would make a great Invisible Woman. She is a gifted actress with screen presence, and brings gravitas to all her roles. She can do action, comedy, drama, horror, which makes her a natural fit for the MCU.

Last edited:
tumblr_mf52pxoc5L1r6y67yo1_500.gif

Even though I am in the minority on her being Sue (I think 99% are against it), I still think Emily would make a great Invisible Woman. She is a gifted actress with screen presence, and brings gravitas to all her roles. She can do action, comedy, drama, horror, which makes her a natural fit for the MCU.

100% agreed! I'm strongly disliking the current casting rumors for this movie (Driver and Robbie are the worst, IMO). Marvel missed a great and huge opportunity to have Blunt as Sue, and her husband Krasinski as Reed.

100% agreed! I'm strongly disliking the current casting rumors for this movie (Driver and Robbie are the worst, IMO). Marvel missed a great and huge opportunity to have Blunt as Sue, and her husband Krasinski as Reed.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d go as far as “strongly dislike”, but if the most persistent rumors of Driver/Robbie/Diggs pan out, I think I would call that group “off-target”.

All talented actors, without question, but I just don’t envision that group of actors and think “That’s Reed, Sue and Ben!”

There are plenty of actors out there that could work much better.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d go as far as “strongly dislike”, but if the most persistent rumors of Driver/Robbie/Diggs pan out, I think I would call that group “off-target”.

All talented actors, without question, but I just don’t envision that group of actors and think “That’s Reed, Sue and Ben!”

There are plenty of actors out there that could work much better.

true Willie. One example of this is the following: I am surprised at how much support Jesse Plemons as Ben Grimm has on this forum. He seems to be the dark horse/underdog/favourite. And not even one scooper has mentioned his name being in the running for Fantastic Four or any role in the MCU

tumblr_pji3xb085Y1ta6mabo5_400.gif

Am i the only one who thinks he has a slight resemblance with the Thing even in his human form? lol

Last edited:
If Marvel lets Dacre Montgomery go uncast in the MCU that would be a damn shame. His whole career and persona seems like it has been leading to a potential career defining role as Johnny Storm. It would be an RDJ as Stark, Reynolds as Wade Wilson level casting.

Whoever is Johnny Storm needs to be believable as a golden era (50s-60s) Hollywood celebrity

tumblr_p09idxEa8V1vakvm5o2_500.gif

Johnny should be a natural teen heartthrob

49c7be9c8b62653cf2b32d0188d134d7.gif

yet still retain some immaturity due to his reckless hot headed behaviour and also look like he can be close friends with Tom Holland’s Peter Parker
68747470733a2f2f37382e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f38386462316661306633323534363833646332323565636432333435303961342f74756d626c725f6f7361346c76466e4f49317530347668306f335f72325f3430302e676966

and look like he could be the younger brother of Jodie Comer or Emily Blunt or Margot Robbie (Dacre is Australian just like Margot)

AA5FB803-6E77-45C5-9099-0A5E26452A27.jpeg

article_full%403x.png

Even though I think he has a much closer resemblance with Blunt, he can work with either actress
emily-blunt-chillin.gif

Last edited:
BREAKING: it seems Marvel is in a conundrum

Relevant quote from the source:

”I was told by someone who works for Marvel, it was not the plan to make Kang the center of everything until they saw the dailies from 'Quantumania' and after his performance in 'Loki,' which was so strong they were like, 'This is it. This is our way forward. We’ve lost our varsity hero team, but let’s set up around this guy Kang and this performer that so many people are reacting to.' We know this is a huge problem for them that they are facing and grappling with right now. And what’s unprecedented in this for Marvel is, I would argue they have never hung so much of a franchise on one actor, as they tried to hang it on Jonathan Majors after his 'Loki’'performance and his 'Ant-Man: Quantumania' performance."I would argue more than Downey as Iron Man, more than Brolin as Thanos, that hanging everything on this guy is then going to pop up in all of their properties leading up to something called 'The Kang Dynasty' has put them in a very unusual position. They don’t usually hang this much on one person in the way that they did here. And that has put them in the bind. We do not know what they are going to do. I’ve heard conflicting stories about they are going to replace him, they’re not even considering replacing him etc etc. But it’s just one more thing.”

I think they nailed it by saying they lost their varsity team…so focus on bringing a new one out. Whether it is the Fantastic Four, X-Men or some impromptu Avengers-lite team made up of Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Blade, Nova, Namor, Ghost Rider, Venom in place of Hulk…they need to introduce new characters that audiences actually like. Ghost Rider and Nova have potential to be those characters. Deadpool alone revitalizes the MCU. And a Spider-Man-Deadpool lethal weapon buddy movie will Most certainly, break the internet

and please stop killing off villains. It’s annoying and it removes chess pieces from the board that would be reusable. I am looking at Mysterio, Ronan the Accuser, ULTRON, Whiplash, Crossbones…

seeing Red Skull in Endgame was so spectacular and unexpected I wish they would bring him back permanently as a mainstay in Captain America’s story with Chris Evans as Cap of course

its what made No Way Home so great is returning villains. People underestimate the appeal of those classic villains. Because you can have a great hero but if you have a non compelling villain the story will still be garbage

imagine Saturday morning cartoons killed off their villains every week. Who the hell is Optimus Prime gonna fight if they kill off Megatron?

Last edited:
...just swap out Kang for Doom.

They can't do that without rewriting and reworking the entire phase. Plus, at this stage Doom would feel rushed cause he hasn't been seen or mentioned to date. Recasting Kang is logistically easier and cheaper. Doom replacing Kang will not happen. i can guarantee it

They can't do that without rewriting and reworking the entire phase. Plus, at this stage Doom would feel rushed cause he hasn't been seen or mentioned to date. Recasting Kang is logistically easier and cheaper. Doom replacing Kang will not happen. i can guarantee it
They have good writers - can't be too hard.

Just say a bigger threat (Doom) became apparent. Kill Kang in Loki 2 // wash hands of the actor.

Easy.

They have good writers - can't be too hard.

Just say a bigger threat (Doom) became apparent. Kill Kang in Loki 2 // wash hands of the actor.

Easy.

These movies have been mapped out years in advance, including pre-production work. So yes, it is. Kang Dynasty would have to basically get a page 1 rewrite, thus delaying both it and Secret Wars likely by at least a year. Plus scrapping the millions already invested into it. Then you need to invest millions into rewrites and reshoots and such on projects already either filming or close to filming. You simply cannot just toss everything and start again so easily. That isn't how filmmaking works. All this would cost hundreds of millions across these various projects. Know what's cheaper than that? Recasting Kang. That will only cost you some of Majors salary on his contract, whatever the new actor will cost, and some budget for new costumes made for the new actor. Easier, cheaper, more logical.

These movies have been mapped out years in advance, including pre-production work. So yes, it is. Kang Dynasty would have to basically get a page 1 rewrite, thus delaying both it and Secret Wars likely by at least a year. Plus scrapping the millions already invested into it. Then you need to invest millions into rewrites and reshoots and such on projects already either filming or close to filming. You simply cannot just toss everything and start again so easily. That isn't how filmmaking works. All this would cost hundreds of millions across these various projects. Know what's cheaper than that? Recasting Kang. That will only cost you some of Majors salary on his contract, whatever the new actor will cost, and some budget for new costumes made for the new actor. Easier, cheaper, more logical.

^This

I’m getting slight Marvel United flashbacks from some of these “replace Kang with Doctor Doom as the villain” posts. Reeks of wanting to rush into something due to fan favoritism without understanding how logistically difficult it would be to pull off without ruining the potential of the character in the MCU and throwing everything off. You think they’re trying to salvage things now? If they tried to pull off something like that now at this point, it would be an absolute nightmare that they probably wouldn’t be able to recover from.

Maybe, I don’t know, just let them build up to the character gradually instead of wishing for them to go immediately full force and waste the character’s potential because you couldn’t wait patiently.

Like Veruca Salt demanding a golden goose from Willy Wonka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"