Pokémon It's the Pokemon thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
New type combinations would be really rad. I read one of the rumors that the fire starter will be Fire/Psychic by it's final evolution. That would be excellent.

Quick questions. Any of you guys buy or collect the dvds? If so, why the heck are some of the early seasons currently out of print & are they going to "make" again?

Quick questions. Any of you guys buy or collect the dvds? If so, why the heck are some of the early seasons currently out of print & are they going to "make" again?

I've got the entire Kanto region on DVD, got them years ago. A lot of DVDs go out of print eventually (mad at myself for passing on Gundam Wing years ago, now they're rediculously overpriced)

Yeah. I've been searching for 1 or 2 seasons from Kanto, but the entire Johto adventure sets are insanely priced at Amazon & Ebay too.

Playing White 2 and I have my full team now. Servine, Psyduck, Lucario (evolved at level 19 :awesome:), Woobat, Swinub, and Growlithe. Swinub is a really frustrating Pokemon to raise. First, it's really annoying that Ice has no resistance to Water or Grass. Water is resistant to Ice when you would think it would be super-effective since Ice would, you know, freeze water.

That aside, his typing isn't what makes it hard (just annoying), it's his movepool. My lord is it crap early on. Mudslap is special and does a pathetic 20 damage. The next Ground move he learns is Mud Bomb, which is equally weak and a special move. I finally got Dig so I can take advantage of his higher Attack stat. I even "cheated" a bit by breeding Icicle Crash onto him. However, I swore I wouldn't use it until he evolved but I went back on that. I'm fine with him only having Powder Snow early since Ice is a powerful type and not needed early, he'll learn a better Ice move, soon. It just sucks having no decent Ground move or any decent move in general for so long. Cannot wait for him to become a Mamoswine soon.

Ground seems to have this problem in general. Magnitude, Earthquake, and Bulldoze are all powerful later-game moves. But early on, some Ground types have horrendous choices. Phanpy doesn't learn ONE Ground move, not even Mud Slap. You have to evolve it to Donphan who learns Magnitude at 19 (but it evolves at 25, so you have to reteach it that or find it underlevel in the wild) and Earthquake at 46.

Another Ground Pokemon with this problem is Sandshrew. I always associated him with Dig since it was shown in the anime. He couldn't learn it naturally until Black 2 and White 2. He couldn't naturally learn a Ground move until Gen III with Sand Tomb. This remained until B2/W2 when he could also learn Magnitude, Earthquake and the aforementioned Dig naturally.

This is the stuff I see that makes me want Pokemon to get a full blown reboot. I understand Ground is a powerful type and Earthquake is a TM, but how do you explain it taking 7 games for a Pokemon to finally learn a single move of its type in Sandshrew? Or one that still can't learn any in Phanpy? It might as well be Normal.

I hope that X and Y include some way of keeping track of EV's in game. For it to be such a huge part of raising powerful pokemon, it seems strange that you have to track it on your own.

I hope that X and Y include some way of keeping track of EV's in game. For it to be such a huge part of raising powerful pokemon, it seems strange that you have to track it on your own.

Yes. Please.

I'm always too lazy to keep track of it.

spidey, i believe the logic gamefreak is applying is that a tiny sandshrew lacks the strength to create an earthquake. Same with Phanpy.
Yea, I know.... lol

Yes. Please.

I'm always too lazy to keep track of it.

Same. I avoid EV training because I have to write it all down and make myself charts and ****. Just give us some tool in game to track it. That would be so goddamn cool!

Thinking about it, I'm kind of surprised they haven't done it yet. They seem willing to add a whole bunch of new stuff into the PokeGear every generation, and most of it turns out pretty useless. The one thing they could add that would be really useful, and they don't do it.

spidey, i believe the logic gamefreak is applying is that a tiny sandshrew lacks the strength to create an earthquake. Same with Phanpy.
Yea, I know.... lol

My point wasn't that they can't learn Earthquake. It's that Sandshrew couldn't learn ANY Ground move naturally until Gen III and Phanpy still isn't able to learn any at all despite both of them being Ground types. I don't think there's any excuse for a Pokemon to not learn a single move of it's type anymore.

Yeah. I've been searching for 1 or 2 seasons from Kanto, but the entire Johto adventure sets are insanely priced at Amazon & Ebay too.

The new episode of Black and White: N over in Japan had 15-20 minutes of flashbacks to Kanto. Then Charizard came back and curbstomped Iris's Dragonite.

So I dug out my old Blue and Silver cartridges and an original GB I picked up at a yard sale a few years back and have been having a blast. Compared to the Gen today, they seem so simple, but I kinda enjoy some simplicity once in a while.

Playing White 2 and I have my full team now. Servine, Psyduck, Lucario (evolved at level 19 :awesome:), Woobat, Swinub, and Growlithe. Swinub is a really frustrating Pokemon to raise. First, it's really annoying that Ice has no resistance to Water or Grass. Water is resistant to Ice when you would think it would be super-effective since Ice would, you know, freeze water.

That aside, his typing isn't what makes it hard (just annoying), it's his movepool. My lord is it crap early on. Mudslap is special and does a pathetic 20 damage. The next Ground move he learns is Mud Bomb, which is equally weak and a special move. I finally got Dig so I can take advantage of his higher Attack stat. I even "cheated" a bit by breeding Icicle Crash onto him. However, I swore I wouldn't use it until he evolved but I went back on that. I'm fine with him only having Powder Snow early since Ice is a powerful type and not needed early, he'll learn a better Ice move, soon. It just sucks having no decent Ground move or any decent move in general for so long. Cannot wait for him to become a Mamoswine soon.

Ground seems to have this problem in general. Magnitude, Earthquake, and Bulldoze are all powerful later-game moves. But early on, some Ground types have horrendous choices. Phanpy doesn't learn ONE Ground move, not even Mud Slap. You have to evolve it to Donphan who learns Magnitude at 19 (but it evolves at 25, so you have to reteach it that or find it underlevel in the wild) and Earthquake at 46.

Another Ground Pokemon with this problem is Sandshrew. I always associated him with Dig since it was shown in the anime. He couldn't learn it naturally until Black 2 and White 2. He couldn't naturally learn a Ground move until Gen III with Sand Tomb. This remained until B2/W2 when he could also learn Magnitude, Earthquake and the aforementioned Dig naturally.

This is the stuff I see that makes me want Pokemon to get a full blown reboot. I understand Ground is a powerful type and Earthquake is a TM, but how do you explain it taking 7 games for a Pokemon to finally learn a single move of its type in Sandshrew? Or one that still can't learn any in Phanpy? It might as well be Normal.

I think Ice is weak against water due to the fact most water isn't of freezing temperature and it actually more than likely would melt ice. At least that's why I always got out of it. Ice can't "destroy water" only stop it from moving.., where as Ice is destroyed by warm water.

I've been playing Black 2 for a little over a month now, after taking a LONG break from the series. I love the game so far, however, I miss being able level and evolve Squirtle. Is there anyone on this thread that can help me get one into my Black 2 game? I don't have any of the previous games anymore, so there's no way I can do it on my own.

Have you reached the part where you can trade via WiFi? I could trade you one, egg or hatched. The only difference is that the hatched one will gain EXP faster and you need the gym badges to make sure it will obey you. I can give you Bulbasaur and Charmander, too, if you want.

Have you reached the part where you can trade via WiFi? I could trade you one, egg or hatched. The only difference is that the hatched one will gain EXP faster and you need the gym badges to make sure it will obey you. I can give you Bulbasaur and Charmander, too, if you want.

Really?! That'd be awesome! I'd take hatched of all 3 if you wouldn't mind!

I have the cgear...is there something else I need?

Do you have the PalPad? It's in your Key Item bag. It will have your friend code and allow you to register friend codes. Mine is 5414-9361-1217

So, I've decided to finally pull the trigger and get a 3DS. Keeping in mind that I haven't played Pokemon game since Red/Blue, should I get one of the more recent titles or wait for X/Y?

You should really try Pokemon Black/White, both versions are great.

If you have a GBA, FireRed and LeafGreen are worth playing. While they're kind of hard to find for a cheap price now, I think HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best in the series. They're remakes of Gold/Silver/Crystal. It has the biggest map and I think most Pokemon you can catch.

If you don't want to spend the money, I'd recommend Platinum (you can skip Diamond/Pearl). The recent games are good, too. Black 2/White 2 are sequels so you should play Black/White first.

So, get HeartGold or SoulSilver first since you never played GSC and it's kind of a sequel to RBY. If you like them, then get Platinum or just skip ahead to Black or White. The only real difference between each version is the Pokemon available in them, so just get whichever one has the ones you like. Even if you're going to miss out on some you want, you can get them by trading online.

Do you guys think we'll ever get remake games of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald like Nintendo did with Heart Gold & Soul Silver?

Do you guys think we'll ever get remake games of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald like Nintendo did with Heart Gold & Soul Silver?

Nah. I don't think they have as big a following as G&S did.

I think so. There will be what, like 700 Pokemon total after X & Y come out? I doubt they'll have almost all of them available between the 2. Remaking RSE will be an easy way to bring old Pokemon into the current generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"