Justice League Nothing is Perfect - What you didn’t like about the Snyder Cut

This is a very nitpicky thing for me—and im probably the only one— but during first flight 2.0 when we hear the repise of Zimmer’s MoS theme as Superman flies up, its very muted and kind of downplayed the impact of that scene. That score shouldve been turnt up to 11 during that moment to amplify Superman’s triumphant return.

I hate it when things are turned up to 11. Certain prominent directors do this and it's overbearing and annoying. I think the stereo equipment or settings on the TV can be adjusted accordingly.

I hate it when things are turned up to 11. Certain prominent directors do this and it's overbearing and annoying. I think the stereo equipment or settings on the TV can be adjusted accordingly.

I hear you, but, in my opinion at least, I feel like there are those "big" moments in movies sometimes that warrants the score to be prominent to amplify the moment, you know? Like what would the iconic Avengers circle shot be if Silvestri's score didn't have that big crescendo as its circling the heroes?

I think if Superman's resurrection took place maybe sooner in part 4 rather than part 6, it would have been a good opportunity to develop Superman's arc. The league should have put that black suit on his body before he awoke...to help him remember, it it helped. Would have been a better excuse to use the black suit.

But then before Clark heads back to the scoutship, he puts the classic suit on. I just think that would have worked so much better, however, god dang it, he needed more scenes for the final battle. I wonder if Snyder had ever intended to include Cavill for reshoots (as Cavill wasn't available) but if Cavill had been available, I wonder what additional scenes Snyder would have provided for him, aside from the knightmare visions. Hard to do without actors in the same room, but would have been nice to see some kind of interaction with the Flash, Cyborg, Batman and Aquaman. Superman said one line.

The whole premise of the film is about Batman assembling a team, and the world needing Superman, yet Superman is not in the movie enough. Moreover, Superman's significance was supposed to be so important in this story, yet it doesn't feel as though it was with just 9 minutes (I'm only guessing) of screen time. The bottom line is I think Superman needed to 1) wear the classic red and blue suit by the final battle and 2) have more scenes and dialogue with the league.

That way, this film could have worked better. I think these two elements were what was missing from the film, and the film would have felt more complete had it met those two goals. We were supposed to get the classic Superman which Snyder promised, but it didn't feel like it.

On the aspect ratio, I understand it but hope we could get a version where Snyder shows a 2:35:1 aspect ratio of the film mainly for one, or a few specific reasons...

That cool shot where the league looks at Darkseid through the portal after they've defeated Steppenwolf before the portal closes...Superman front and center in the shot, Batman, Cyborg and Flash are seen in the shot...but in the left and right sides, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are cut off...a near-perfect shot, great cinematography, albeit, red and blue suit would have made the shot look more iconic.

My other two issues with the film...Wonder Woman murdering the last terrorist. Wow. I know she does kill...but well, I won't argue any further, it was just quite dark. She could have knocked them out at the very least. Murdering them the way she did just made her seem too vicious.

And...Superman cutting Steppenwolf's right horn off with his heat vision. It's not like Superman killed him, but I don't know, that seemed a little vicious for Superman as well.

For a so-called goddess who easily could’ve handled the situation without spilling blood, throwing a bunch of squishy humans against the walls without a blink of an eye is just lawless slaughter. The question is whether the use of lethal force was necessary which is debatable til she blows up the last one, almost crushing the police officers outside the building under a pile of rubble. And then for a little girl to ask “if she can be like her” after witnessing all that, is just the tone-deaf cherry on top

Snyders handling of WW is in general a bit messy...scratch that, his handling of them all is messy.
I assume it was all about looking cool and dont caring if it makes characterwise sense or so.

For a so-called goddess who easily could’ve handled the situation without spilling blood, throwing a bunch of squishy humans against the walls without a blink of an eye is just lawless slaughter. The question is whether the use of lethal force was necessary which is debatable til she blows up the last one, almost crushing the police officers outside the building under a pile of rubble. And then for a little girl to ask “if she can be like her” after witnessing all that, is just the tone-deaf cherry on top

I can somewhat excuse her for throwing those guys into the wall because "in the heat of the action" but blowing out the side of a building to kill 1 person was borderline psychotic.

I can somewhat excuse her for throwing those guys into the wall because "in the heat of the action" but blowing out the side of a building to kill 1 person was borderline psychotic.

I’d give her the benefit of the doubt, if this wasn’t the same character that posed for a photo holding a bunch of human heads, bragged about “killing things from other worlds” and whose armour literally turned red with her "victims’ blood" which I guess she can’t be bothered to wipe off. She’s clearly done a lot of killing so this was just another day at the office for her

I’d give her the benefit of the doubt, if this wasn’t the same character that posed for a photo holding a bunch of human heads, bragged about “killing things from other worlds” and whose armour literally turned red with her "victims’ blood" which I guess she can’t be bothered to wipe off. She’s clearly done a lot of killing so this was just another day at the office for her

The photo is nowhere near continuity, she didn't brag about killing things from other worlds just a statement and other things doesn't equate to human(oids) that didnt pose a threat to her, and her armor being stained has never been talked about in the movies, its from Snyder. Her armor has literally been the same apart from some slashes since she stole it.

But of course Snyders vision of WW and Pattys vision of WW are two polar opposites.

A 4 hour over indulgent mess, where an emo, violent, black suit wearing Superman is not a character but a plot device who isn't even given the slightest hint of development.
Then you've got a jarringly violent Wonder woman that inflicts massive property damage just cos, a Flash that does Superman the movie with no repercussions and an idiotic, faith basing Batman who had no plan B should Superman wake up..... ahem moody from his death slumber (even Josstice league had Batman telling Alfred to bring Lois incase **** hit the fan).

On the positive side the movie was hella funny! The singing, shirt sniffing sirens and Iris inadvertently giving Barry a......ahem hotdog were LOL moments the likes of which I've never seen, the fact that I was laughing AT (and not with) the movie and Snyder's direction is of little importance at this point.

Honestly though, one big positive to come out of this is that poor ol' Zack got the apology he deserved from those monkeys at WB after the artistic rape they inflicted on him and his movie, forget Snyder's Justice League, the movie should be just called Snyder's justice. Oh you can also add Cyborg getting his due and a much improved (not saying much) Steppenwolf to the few positives.

A 4 hour over indulgent mess, where an emo, violent, black suit wearing Superman is not a character but a plot device who isn't even given the slightest hint of development.
Then you've got a jarringly violent Wonder woman that inflicts massive property damage just cos, a Flash that does Superman the movie with no repercussions and an idiotic, faith basing Batman who had no plan B should Superman wake up..... ahem moody from his death slumber (even Josstice league had Batman telling Alfred to bring Lois incase **** hit the fan).

On the positive side the movie was hella funny! The singing, shirt sniffing sirens and Iris inadvertently giving Barry a......ahem hotdog were LOL moments the likes of which I've never seen, the fact that I was laughing AT (and not with) the movie and Snyder's direction is of little importance at this point.

Honestly though, one big positive to come out of this is that poor ol' Zack got the apology he deserved from those monkeys at WB after the artistic rape they inflicted on him and his movie, forget Snyder's Justice League, the movie should be just called Snyder's justice. Oh you can also add Cyborg getting his due and a much improved (not saying much) Steppenwolf to the few positives.

All those things except the sweater sniffing were positive for me.

the only negative I can even think of is the absence of Green Lantern in the team. Besides that the movie is near flawless for what it is.

The recurrent new Wonder Woman theme by Tom Holkenberg was overused. Felt like we heard it a dozen times throughout the movie at least. Sometimes I felt like I was watching 300. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. I liked some of the shots in Themyscira when that music was played. I liked hearing the original Man of Steel score.

While the soundtrack is way better than Danny Elfman's score by comparison, I never thought it was perfect. Disappointed that music we heard in the HBO trailers wasn't part of the actual film. Sounded better than Junkie XL's Justice League theme if I'm being totally honest. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with others, again, on Wonder Woman slaughtering those men. She can control her strength, yet she chose to kill them cold, when she didn't have to. It changed my whole perspective of the character completely. Couldn't trust someone with that much power nor could I think of her the same way again. I could never see her as kind or being a symbol of love, rather savage and brutal. The more I think about this, I realize how big of a problem it is. This is not the same Wonder Woman we saw from Patty Jenkins' WW84. Had it been directed by Zack Snyder himself, that opening scene in the mall would have been slightly different, she probably would have killed those men with her tiara, spilling their brains across the mall. Probably no winking either.

When it comes to Snyder developing the characters, I can make some exception for Justice League, which he did a mostly good job on developing Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash and so on, but also Steppenwolf. Steppenwolf had so much development, yet Superman had almost no development. I think all Snyder achieved with Superman in JL s Superman's strength, heat vision and ability to smash and punch things.

I didn't like the aspect ratio. I know he wanted an Imax square, but no-one was going to be watching this in theatres but on their TV. And most people have widescreens not some old 80s TV.

When it comes to Snyder developing the characters, I can make some exception for Justice League, which he did a mostly good job on developing Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash and so on, but also Steppenwolf. Steppenwolf had so much development, yet Superman had almost no development. I think all Snyder achieved with Superman in JL s Superman's strength, heat vision and ability to smash and punch things.

MauLer's video makes a good point about Superman being on pause in this film. He dies in BvS and comes back to life as a rampaging murderer and none of that is explored or dealt with. It just happens and the film moves on. Superman is in the exact same place at the end of JL than he was at the end of Man of Steel. The character hasn't grown or evolved after 3 films. He just wears a black suit now and if Lois dies he'll become a monster.

I haven’t read the whole thread. Sorry if this is a repeat.

It was a foregone conclusion that the Death of Superman in BvS would be followed by the Resurrection of Superman. But I recall active discussions (and complaints) as to how the Resurrection of Clark Kent would be handled. Some speculated that the dual/secret identity would be abandoned (!). Yet in the coda to ZSJL, CK (in glasses, jacket and tie) performs his iconic “shirt rip.” This would seem to indicate that the classic dual identity ruse had — somehow — been restored. :ebr:

For that matter… I was never clear on whether WW’s civilian identity was supposed to be “secret.” :thf:

Characters living 1000's of years is too old. Lineages going back would make more sense. This does at least explain why Darkseid forgot where Earth was located. He's so old. The Amazons and Atlanteans remembered though so maybe not so much.

Also, too many planets to conquer... I mean 50,000 to 100,000 really? Anyway, as I liked the movie I'll just think of it as Darkseid's manner of telling Steppenwolf he's no longer welcome on the home planet permanently.

As for the 1000's of years these characters live, well that's hard to think around so I just divert my elsewhere.

I didn't like the aspect ratio. I know he wanted an Imax square, but no-one was going to be watching this in theatres but on their TV. And most people have widescreens not some old 80s TV.
I've seen it both on my PC monitor and my 55 inch tv. I wasn't bothered by it at all.

It was no different than having the bars on the top and bottom. Ive watched it a few times and it doesnt bother me. I showed my friends the other day and they were fine with it once you explain that they arent cutting the sides.
I honestly wouldn't mind if more block busters filmed in this aspect ratio.
Watching godzilla vs kong I couldn't help but think it would've looked way better in 4:3. You'd be able to get some really good full body shots that dont have to be filmed from so far away.

So who else really hates that martian manhunter was martha in that scene?

MM's very presence is a joke in this movie, where the hell was he when Zod, cave troll Doomsday and the armies from Apocalypse attacked earth? All this just shows how little thought Snyder tends to put into these movies.

MM's very presence is a joke in this movie, where the hell was he when Zod, cave troll Doomsday and the armies from Apocalypse attacked earth? All this just shows how little thought Snyder tends to put into these movies.
Yeah him saying he finally realised he has a stake in this world was stupid. I could get that he didnt want to reveal his presence because he doesnt want to be found out and is comfortable just being a human. But seeing the age of heroes comes again inspires him to come into the spotlight.
Hell mayb3 have him way back when darkseid invaded earth? Wouldve made a cool connection between the old and new heroes.

So who else really hates that martian manhunter was martha in that scene?

giphy.gif

Looking back at it now, I feel like the MM reveal sort of robs the scene of its emotional resonance. Plus, it's weird that MM would be so invested in Lois's emotional well being but won't bother to help Bruce recruit heroes against Darkseid's forces.

Though in hindsight, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised seeing as how Snyder thought it'd be romantic to have Barry creepily look at his future wife in slow motion.

Yeah him saying he finally realised he has a stake in this world was stupid. I could get that he didnt want to reveal his presence because he doesnt want to be found out and is comfortable just being a human. But seeing the age of heroes comes again inspires him to come into the spotlight.
Hell mayb3 have him way back when darkseid invaded earth? Wouldve made a cool connection between the old and new heroes.

I still believe that MM's final scene should have been with Superman. Given their history and identical backgrounds (e.g. being the last survivor from their home planet), it makes more sense for MM to reveal himself to Superman and not Bruce Wayne.

It's just one of many moments in this film that shows who Snyder prefers between Batman and Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"