Rocky/Creed Cinematic Universe Thread

Did you see the ending of Creed II? Bianca basically said that Rocky needs to live his own life and they need to live theirs.

That was the entire reason for Rocky
moving to Vancouver and living with his son and grandson.

I did. I didn’t really connect that Rocky was going to live their permanently though. Not saying you’re wrong but it didn’t feel like it was meant to be Rocky’s final moment on screen.

I was a little a disappointed how they treated Rocky’s son. I loved the first Creed but a big miss for me was that Rocky didn’t mention reaching out to him after he got cancer.

Talk about unexpected. At least they gave him a proper sendoff.

I did. I didn’t really connect that Rocky was going to live their permanently though

Yeah it didn't come across that way. Seemed more like a visit and a reconciliation.

If he's done with the character cool. But supposedly he was done after Rocky Balboa, so...

Wouldn’t make sense for the narrative. Rocky is basically Creed’s family now. To have him disappear offscreen like Adrian or Paulie would be a disservice.

When the fight ended, he told Adonis that it was his time. This was a literal handing the franchise off to Adonis and walking away. I made that connection even when watching it. So it makes sense.

Watched this today... found is quite boring.

It definitely had moments where it felt like it was just killing time until the rematch. I know they were trying to give Bianca a more active role but it just didn’t work for me. I missed having more scenes between Rocky and Creed. I also think they could have done another scene with the Drago family.

As predictable as this was, I still enjoyed it. Even though I feel like they didn't need to double down on the drama with
the baby being deaf
but Jordan and Thompson really sold it. Stallone was once again great and if this was his last hurrah, it was a good sendoff for the character.
We go from him being alone in the last film to finding his family here.
I also enjoyed what they did with Drago and his son.

As predictable as this was, I still enjoyed it. Even though I feel like they didn't need to double down on the drama with
the baby being deaf
but Jordan and Thompson really sold it. Stallone was once again great and if this was his last hurrah, it was a good sendoff for the character.
We go from him being alone in the last film to finding his family here.
I also enjoyed what they did with Drago and his son.
Agreed on all accounts.

Now I wonder if there will be a Creed III?

There could be potential in a third film, but I don’t know if I want it to continue without Stallone.

Quite a emotional roller coaster in this film. Predictable but had some great moments where i could feel myself churning up abit. Great performance from MBJ,Tessa,Stallone and Dolph. Possibly even with the first film but this one was more personal imo (as i t should be) Creeds intro with Bianca was straight lit .

I really wish there was a way to get Apollo back as a Force ghost visiting Adonis.

They could have conceivably done a dream sequence with Carl Weathers (with a CGI de-aged facelift). I must admit I miss his presence in the series. Same with Adrian and Paulie, especially since Talia Shire and Burt Young are still living. But I understand why they did it. They wanted to make Rocky’s life more tragic.

I wonder where this scene was in the movie.

it's a quality sequel that manages to tell it's story from multiple character perspectives without losing focus, Rocky, Adonis, Bianca, Ivan and Viktor all have an arc in the movie and each one is well acted and written, with satisfying pay-offs all round.

Adonis is a complex character, at times he's so petulant with a chip on both shoulders, and deserves a smack from Rocky and Bianaca at different moments in the movie, but MBJ inbues him with such a raw emotional core and charisma that you root for him as he deals with the father issues that still shadow him, perhaps finally laying them to rest in this movie. His relkationships with Rocky and Bianca are the films heartbeat as with the first film, and are pretty much as strong, although I felt we got more of his dynamic with Rocky in the first film.

Stallone is on top form again as the world weary Rocky, always ready with an unorthodox pearl of wisdom, delivered as only he can. If this is the last one for him I thought the final two scenes were the absolute perfect send-off, he passess the torch fully to Adonis and maybe finds some peace for himself away from Philly, boxing and all the old memories.

It was interesting that Donnie was fighting for the Light Heavyweight title in the first movie, but won the World heavyweight title in this one, and I liked the callback of having him take the title of Wheeler

The Drago's story was really well written IMO, they could have easily been generic bad guys, but Ivan's story of 30 years of pent up bitterness as he became a man without a country had an element of tragedy to it, and Viktor had father issues like Donnie but in a different way, he'd been raised from the ground up to be a fighter and earn his father's way home, a huge responsibility and a cold relationship that weighed on him.

The movies big training sequence was visually awesome but I felt it lacked the musical accompniment of the best Rocky training sequences.

I liked the story structure across the two big fights, Donnie getting hurt in the ribs and fighting without the necessary gameplan for a much bigger opponent, so emotionally worked up he ignores the advice of Duke jr, and I thought the DQ was a smart way to end the first fight as it showed Viktor was also not fighting with his head as he had so much at stake as well.

For the second fight it's similar to how Rocky and Duke approached the fight with Ivan, endurance as that would be key given the body mass difference when they got into the latter rounds, and building "hurting bombs" with those close-up shots as there's no way he'd get a points decision in Russia, while also using his speed as a real advantage. I thought the finish to the fight was great, with Viktor getting up 3 times and Ivan throwing in the towel, putting his son before his country, it was a nice callback to the Appollo/Drago fight and Rocky's choice to not throw the towel in that has haunted him ever since.

I'm sure there'll be a 3rd film given how well this is doing at the box office, but I admit without Rocky I think it would be missing something as that Donnie/Rocky dynamic is so key. There's plenty of character drama set-up, will Donnie have a long title reign? How is Bianca's hearing situation? How have they coped with raising a deaf daughter? I think the hardest thing after Viktor Drago is to find a bigger threat and at least as compelling opponent for Donnie in the ring.

Anyway, while I think Creed was overall a better film, this was a very strong sequel that built well off the first film and hit all the right notes.

8/10

I really wish there was a way to get Apollo back as a Force ghost visiting Adonis.
Funny, my friend told me Stallone had originally wanted this scenario in this film. Well, not a "force ghost" obviously, but in a hallucination/dream, and wanted to use de-aging tech on Carl.

Yes Stallone thought they would go The Godfather Part II route with half the movie following a young Apollo as he makes his way to the top. Not a bad idea but the series should focus on Adonis.

I wonder where this scene was in the movie.

Looks like they're in the hospital, so maybe it was when they were bringing Adonis home after the first fight? Either way, I'm glad that was cut. That's way too over the top.

Anyone else think that this franchise is done? I don't see there being a third movie.

Why? It's making more than the first, Michael B. Jordan has become a legit star, they will definitely make a third.

Since when has a perfect ending stopped a studio from making a sequel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"