Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Eh rt reflects the quality of the film whether you disagree or not. Thats why Rotten Tomatoes has always been mentioned when it comes to reviews/quality of a film.

If I'm unsure of seeing a movie, Id go to rt to see if I might waste my time/money watching a bad movie. Some films that scored higher intrigued me to watch the film. So thats just your opinion.
Go back and read wtf I just said. I'm talking about people moving the goal post.

Well the B score does line up with the audience LIKED RT SCORE and the RT SCORE is great.

What are letter grades and how do they convert to percentages?
Common examples of grade conversion are: A+ (97–100), A (93–96), A- (90–92), B+ (87–89), B (83–86), B- (80–82), C+ (77–79), C (73–76), C- (70–72), D+ (67–69), D (65–66), D- (below 65).

Do people really go to RT for audience score though?

And a B from Cinemascore isn't great, especially for Marvel movies.

And if we use Cinemascore's grading system, the movie got a D- from critics...

For some quick comparisons, this is the same as Eternals. Also getting a B rating, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and the first FF movies. But for the real fun, same rating as BvS.

That's the thing we a B Cinemascore.

Yeah, a B in an Academic context, is a good grade.

But when it comes to audience scores, the preferrable score is an A- to A level .

But when it comes to audience scores, the preferrable score is an A- to A level .
Elektra and Catwoman got a B in compariXon.

CinemaScore
What the score means
quote-
The company's founder, Ed Mintz, once said that "A's generally are good, B's generally are shaky, and C's are terrible. D's and F's, they shouldn’t have made the movie, or they promoted it funny and the absolute wrong crowd got into it." This is a good rule of thumb, but it's important to note that it also depends on genre. In summer 2019, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a box-office success while Men in Black: International disappointed. Both had received a B grade.

quote-
Horror movies, by contrast, score lower on average. The Conjuring, which scored an A- in 2013, was the very first horror movie to score better than a B+ average. B's are generally good for horror movies, while C's are generally shaky. A variety of reasons have been put forward as to why this is. The most common view is that horror fans have divided expectations: some will get disappointed if a horror film doesn't have enough gore or overt scares, while others prefer tropes like Nothing Is Scarier.

quote-
Other types of film that are prone to scoring badly are Le Film Artistique and others that are meant to be unsettling or highly experimental. A bad score can also be a sign of Misaimed Marketing or a film that did not live up to audience expectations in some way. The latter may explain why Punch-Drunk Love and Uncut Gems got relatively poor scores (D+ and C+ respectively). Both starred Adam Sandler, so they may have attracted viewers expecting comedies.

This is the first Marvel movie I completely don't understand the RT score. I usually at least get it. I liked Thor: Love and Thunder, but it was a tonally inconsistent film so I could see it getting an inconsistent score. But I thought this was just a fun movie. It's not the greatest movie of all time, but that's not what Rotten Tomatoes measures. It measures the percentage of critics that at least thought it was good. I'm surprised that a majority didn't at least think that.

That being said, I do wonder to what extent they might have given a movie like this the benefit of the doubt six or seven years ago and said it was at least fresh when, today, they won't. I think that explains why more critics disliked Love and Thunder than The Dark World and why so many disliked this movie.

Honestly, I think the explanation is simple. I think the movies have mainly been approached similarly and yielded results percentage wise and quality wise similar to Phases 1 and 2 at least. So what's different now? Many are blaming the content amount or other outside factors, but if you ask me, I think just in general Marvel has chosen as the basis for their movies subject matter that is less appealing on a wider audience. The magic space rocks were easy to follow, but clearly the multiverse approach has more people confused and just in general multiverses are a harder sci fi concept that I don't think are as marketable to a wider audience. So far the one trick they have had that worked for this Saga was the 3 Spider-Man team up. Which is why I think we are hearing all about more Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, etc. But as a whole, the harder Sci fi and wackiest concepts like Earth being a Celestial egg I don't think everyone is here for. I am. I love this type of stuff. But it isn't for everyone. So when they say something is off with the MCU, I honestly think that is the core element they mean. Watch, when we get passed this and move on to the Mutant Saga or whatever, people are gonna be like "Yay, the MCU is good again!!!" I just know that's how this all plays out

Honestly, I think the explanation is simple. I think the movies have mainly been approached similarly and yielded results percentage wise and quality wise similar to Phases 1 and 2 at least. So what's different now? Many are blaming the content amount or other outside factors, but if you ask me, I think just in general Marvel has chosen as the basis for their movies subject matter that is less appealing on a wider audience. The magic space rocks were easy to follow, but clearly the multiverse approach has more people confused and just in general multiverses are a harder sci fi concept that I don't think are as marketable to a wider audience.

The problem with this diagnosis is that Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder were completely unconnected to the multiverse plot and yet were the two worst-received MCU movies before Quantummania.

By contrast, No Way Home was acclaimed in spite of making the multiverse a huge plot point.

Do people really go to RT for audience score though?

And a B from Cinemascore isn't great, especially for Marvel movies.

And if we use Cinemascore's grading system, the movie got a D- from critics...

I don't think the general movie audience pays attention to either.

The problem with this diagnosis is that Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder were completely unconnected to the multiverse plot and yet were the two worst-received MCU movies before Quantummania.

By contrast, No Way Home was acclaimed in spite of making the multiverse a huge plot point.

I mentioned Eternals above. Sure it wasn't multiverse connected, but it was also not conceptually as interesting based on premise. Prometheus was similarly unpopular and had similar plot themes. And again, Spider-Man NWH survived on nostalgia, but not every Multiverse plot can survive off that.

Back then,I imagined the first rotten score of Marvel Studios to be somewhere 57% to 58%. Its bizarre to realize that both Eternals and Quantumania are both under 50%, which means more critics gave it a rotten rating. You can't say that to X3, Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - other notorious Marvel movies for being not so well received.

Part of the the reason for that really low score I think is that even critics are getting tired of the formula and Ant Man 3 is the straw that broke the camel’s back so to speak. If Quantumania and Thor 4 had switched release dates, they might have switched RT scores

Part of the the reason for that really low score I think is that even critics are getting tired of the formula and Ant Man 3 is the straw that broke the camel’s back so to speak. If Quantumania and Thor 4 had switched release dates, they might have switched RT scores
I doubt it.

I highly disagree that dates/whoevercameout 1st have something to do with it. Critics simply like Love & Thunder more and I do too.

In fact the RT consensus clearly stated that this movie lacked the fun factor that the last two Ant-Man movies had.... its not like they just kept the fun/goofy/comedic vibe in all mcu films and call it a day. Imo, this had the worst character development in all mcu films. If the characters were written as well as the best MCU films out there, you wouldn't see a 48% rating. Also, this film has the worst looking vfX film for a mcu film and that affects the viewing eXperience.

Movies with higher CinemaScore grades still bomb.

Movies with higher CinemaScore grades still bomb.

A cinema score doesn't guarantee a success any more than good reviews do, but it's an indication of the feeling of the sampled audience has, coming out of the theater .

A cinema score doesn't guarantee a success any more than good reviews do, but it's an indication of the feeling of the sampled audience has, coming out of the theater .

So it's an unreliable sample size.

So it's an unreliable sample size.

Why is it an unreliable sample size?

If your point is that the Cinemascore sample is not reliable because its not big enough to represent the majority of the audiences who've seen the film in general, that's fine.

Or are you claiming that Cinemascore is not reliable because it doesn't poll ever single person who's at the viewings they are present at?

I'm not sure what your point is , so you're going to have to elaborate what your point is or what issue you have with Cinemascore.

If your issue is with Cinemascore being used as a measure all together , there's nothing I can do about that .

Why is it an unreliable sample size?

If your point is that the Cinemascore sample is not reliable because its not big enough to represent the majority of the audiences who've seen the film in general, that's fine.

Or are you claiming that Cinemascore is not reliable because it doesn't poll ever single person who's at the viewings they are present at?

I'm not sure what your point is , so you're going to have to elaborate what your point is or what issue you have with Cinemascore.

If your issue is with Cinemascore being used as a measure all together , there's nothing I can do about that .

All of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"