No Way Home Spider-Man 4 General News and Discussion Thread

Definitely in the camp that would prefer the next Spidey sequel should be back-to-basics (in a sense) and not involve the multiverse.

Sony should hire Drew Goddard to direct, who just so happens to have created the Daredevil series. And don’t be afraid to take cues from the PlayStation games too

Peter’s experiencing classic Parker luck, having trouble making ends meet, and still struggling to adjust to his new life. Unable to move on, he listens to the police scanner day and night and finds escape as Spider-Man.

Meanwhile Kingpin is now Mayor of New York City. Despite taking office, he still runs all major crime in the city. His right-hand man Alistair Smythe outfits the Enforcers— Scorpion (Max Gargan), Prowler (Aaron Davis), Ox, and Fancy Dan—to carry out Kingpin’s crimes and cause collateral damage, turning New Yorkers against its vigilantes and their big spectacle punch-ups in their streets.

Kingpin then hires Silver Sable and her private security force to support the NYPD in putting an end to vigilante activity in the city; especially, those who’ve crossed him— Daredevil, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Punisher, and Echo.

Spider-Man goes to the New York Bulletin to find out more about Kingpin’s past and meets Robbie Robertson and Frederick Foswell, and is reunited with former classmate Betty Brant.

He also crosses paths with the flirtatious Black Cat who has her own vendetta against Kingpin (adapting her first act in Bendis’ Ultimate Spider-Man).

During the film, Peter bonds with the alien symbiote. (Kingpin had it in his possession because, as we’ll later learn in the film, he hopes its properties may save his dying wife, Vanessa).

Peter’s consumed and relies on the memories of his loved ones and his new allies, the Defenders, to rid himself of the alien symbiote before a final confrontation against a publicly-outed Kingpin who becomes a Venom-like monster battling the heroes in the streets of New York.

The film ends with Peter accepting his new life and beginning a relationship with Felicia. Just as he and Felicia embrace, Mary Jane walks in his front door holding the necklace he gave her in Far From Home. Credits roll.

Definitely in the camp that would prefer the next Spidey sequel should be back-to-basics (in a sense) and not involve the multiverse.

Sony should hire Drew Goddard to direct, who just so happens to have created the Daredevil series. And don’t be afraid to take cues from the PlayStation games too

Peter’s experiencing classic Parker luck, having trouble making ends meet, and still struggling to adjust to his new life. Unable to move on, he listens to the police scanner day and night and finds escape as Spider-Man.

Meanwhile Kingpin is now Mayor of New York City. Despite taking office, he still runs all major crime in the city. His right-hand man Alistair Smythe outfits the Enforcers— Scorpion (Max Gargan), Prowler (Aaron Davis), Ox, and Fancy Dan—to carry out Kingpin’s crimes and cause collateral damage, turning New Yorkers against its vigilantes and their big spectacle punch-ups in their streets.

Kingpin then hires Silver Sable and her private security force to support the NYPD in putting an end to vigilante activity in the city; especially, those who’ve crossed him— Daredevil, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Punisher, and Echo.

Spider-Man goes to the New York Bulletin to find out more about Kingpin’s past and meets Robbie Robertson and Frederick Foswell, and is reunited with former classmate Betty Brant.

He also crosses paths with the flirtatious Black Cat who has her own vendetta against Kingpin (adapting her first act in Bendis’ Ultimate Spider-Man).

During the film, Peter bonds with the alien symbiote. (Kingpin had it in his possession because, as we’ll later learn in the film, he hopes its properties may save his dying wife, Vanessa).

Peter’s consumed and relies on the memories of his loved ones and his new allies, the Defenders, to rid himself of the alien symbiote before a final confrontation against a publicly-outed Kingpin who becomes a Venom-like monster battling the heroes in the streets of New York.

The film ends with Peter accepting his new life and beginning a relationship with Felicia. Just as he and Felicia embrace, Mary Jane walks in his front door holding the necklace he gave her in Far From Home. Credits roll.
Drew Goddard would definitely be my top choice for director. As it just so happens, his name has been getting thrown around in the mix although I don't know how reliable these sources are.

I like your idea of Peter running into Betty Brant at the Bulletin, however, I feel like the Daily Bugle in its current state needs to improve. Are we supposed to not like it as a news source at all? Because it's a reflection of the real life Infowars. The Daily Bulletin was created by Netflix during the first season of Daredevil because Sony wasn't willing to share the Daily Bugle name yet, even though in the comics Ben Urich worked there.

Maybe they could show Jameson turning a new leaf, outright buying the Bulletin, improving the salaries of everyone there (since Mitchell Ellison did complain about how they competed so much with bloggers) to then improve the image of the Bugle.

I also like the idea of Peter bonding with the symbiote; Venom is my favorite villain so I'm always up for a better take of the symbiote storyline on screen after the debacle in Spider-Man 3, but I feel like they might just skip over that storyline in the MCU.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather Jameson have his own separate storyline. He follows Kingpin's lead in tarnishing the reputations of NYC's heroes by putting them all on blast in the DailyBugle.net until he maybe has a change of heart. Maybe Spider-Man actually saves him?

Maybe he can eventually assume Fisk's spot as NYC Mayor.

I think I'd rather Jameson have his own separate storyline. He follows Kingpin's lead in tarnishing the reputations of NYC's heroes by putting them all on blast in the DailyBugle.net until he maybe has a change of heart. Maybe Spider-Man actually saves him?

that would be a cool turn of events too, I just think because traditionally Betty Brant and all news media coverage elements of Spider-Man lore have always been under the umbrella of the Daily Bugle, that it should be merged with the Bulletin.

hell back in 2015, there was a theory that Ben Urich was following Spider-Man to do coverage of him too

Do you think this version of Jameson needs to pay a price of sorts for his actions in FFH and NWH?

that would be a cool turn of events too, I just think because traditionally Betty Brant and all news media coverage elements of Spider-Man lore have always been under the umbrella of the Daily Bugle, that it should be merged with the Bulletin.

hell back in 2015, there was a theory that Ben Urich was following Spider-Man to do coverage of him too

Of course. I wasn't suggesting New York Bulletin fully replace Daily Bugle but its inclusion would make sense given for the story I laid out due to its importance in the Daredevil series. As Peter's spiraling more into darkness, it could be punctuated by ongoing stories/video bytes from J Jonah Jameson's broadcasts & slander.

He could then be saved or recognize the error of his ways in another fashion, thereby putting JJJ on a redemption path for later sequels to explore & expand upon. I don't think he should ever be a full-on protagonist / ally, but we should keep J.K. Simmons around. Even if it's just for him to pop in-and-out like a Stan Lee cameo.

Of course. I wasn't suggesting New York Bulletin fully replace Daily Bugle but its inclusion would make sense given for the story I laid out due to its importance in the Daredevil series. As Peter's spiraling more into darkness, it could be punctuated by ongoing stories/video bytes from J Jonah Jameson's broadcasts & slander.

He could then be saved or recognize the error of his ways in another fashion, thereby putting JJJ on a redemption path for later sequels to explore & expand upon. I don't think he should ever be a full-on protagonist / ally, but we should keep J.K. Simmons around. Even if it's just for him to pop in-and-out like a Stan Lee cameo.
all that sounds good to me but to the bolded, I really think Jameson needs to be more present as a full on supporting character in the Spider-Man movies.

his appearance in NwH was a step up from his cameo in FFH, but I still think there has to be some more organic involvement for him in the plot somehow. He is one of the most *infamous* recurring, supporting characters in the Spider-Man mythos, and right now Happy Hogan who is a supporting character in the Iron Man mythos has played a bigger and more important role than Jameson has.

In all honesty , writing a Spiderman 4 in the context of NWH, is going to be a challenge regardless .

NWH , while a great ending , feels TO ME, in alot of ways ,like the end to that Peter Parker's story, as opposed to a launching point to new story possibilities.
Given that Sony/ Marvel used several iconic villains ,they're basically off the table for being introduced in part 4, even if they're 616 versions.

And the villains left unused, while popular in fandom, can't carry a Spiderman film, in terms of being lead villains.

There's Venom, but he's problematic at the moment, and it would probably be too soon to introduce a 616 version anyway.
The other villains like Kraven have been tainted by Sony stink, and Black Cat doesn't seem to be an option as a villain, or love interest, since Sony seemingly, wants her all to themselves.

Kingpin is basically the last top teer Spiderman villain untouched by the Sony-verse , and makes the most sense if we're talking big , street level ,opponents.

At the same time, given where the last film ended , and if we are going with Kingpin and Daredevil , going darker seems the most logical step .
To what extent they would go darker remains to be seen , but I don't see this probably older , more seasoned Peter , being as happy go lucky guy he was in the previous films .

And all this is not even taking into account resolving the MJ, Spell, memory stuff ,and that this film is leading into Secret Wars in which Spiderman, takes a big role .

So the film is gonna be challenging from a story standpoint, regardless of what Feige or Sony feel the right direction to go is.
I think both studios are probably struggling with how to move forward with a 4th film .

Now, maybe there differing ideas will force them to compromise, and the story will be better for it .

At this point, I don't know .

But I'm more certain now, that Sony, and probably even Iger , aren't gonna be willing to give Feige and Marvel Studios, the long time they probably were hoping for.
I think this thing , if the current rumors hold true, is coming out fall or Christmas 2025 , as opposed to sometime in 2026.
Depends, IMO. Vulture and Mysterio never necessarily struck me as main villain potential but they were able to make them work. Even Electro could've worked in TASM2 had they made a few different decisions I think.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hobgoblin appear. I'm unsure if the MCU version of Ned would work for this, but maybe it could be a way to reintroduce him if Peter suspects it could be him under the mask.

And the villains left unused, while popular in fandom, can't carry a Spiderman film, in terms of being lead villains.
I'm not too worried about this. I don't think most people knew who Ego the Living Planet or the High Evolutionary were, but the MCU made people care about them. Same with characters like Mister Negative, The Prowler, and the Spot in other Spider-Man media of recent years.

Depends, IMO. Vulture and Mysterio never necessarily struck me as main villain potential but they were able to make them work. Even Electro could've worked in TASM2 had they made a few different decisions I think.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hobgoblin appear. I'm unsure if the MCU version of Ned would work for this, but maybe it could be a way to reintroduce him if Peter suspects it could be him under the mask.

I think it depends as well , though I think We'll have to agree to disagree in terms of the characters you've cited.

I always felt going back to SM4 Raimi days that Vulture , at the very least, had potential to be a main villain , while I didn't think Electro on his own could carry a film.
So, the idea of teaming Electro up with other villains wasn't my issue with TASM2.

Mysterio , I could see as harder sell as a main villain, but they were able to make it work.

I don't think that can apply to any, and every, Spiderman villain .
There's definitely a top tier of Spiderman villains , which have basically been run through in the MCU films save Venom , Hobgoblin, and Kingpin.

Kraven and Chameleon are seemingly, off the table .

At the end of the day, they can make the next Spiderman film with any villain they want, in theory .

I think it depends as well , though I think We'll have to agree to disagree in terms of the characters you've cited.

I always felt going back to SM4 Raimi days that Vulture , at the very least, had potential to be a main villain , while I didn't think Electro on his own could carry a film.
So, the idea of teaming Electro up with other villains wasn't my issue with TASM2.

Mysterio , I could see as harder sell as a main villain, but they were able to make it work.

I don't think that can apply to any, and every, Spiderman villain .
There's definitely a top tier of Spiderman villains , which have basically been run through in the MCU films save Venom , Hobgoblin, and Kingpin.

At the end of the day, they can make the next Spiderman film with any villain they want, in theory .

Those three in the reverse order would actually be my picks for the next trilogy. Though I'm expecting a proper MCU Venom to be Mac Gargan instead of Eddie Brock.

I love the likes of Dafoe and Molina, but I have to wonder if Feige was shortsighted to take the likes of Green Goblin and Doc Ock off the table unless those two came back to reprise the roles.

They absolutely are gonna bring in the Hobgoblin at some point. I feel like it would be too much of a missed opportunity not to; the conversation that Ned had with Peter One about his best friend who turned on him and died, and then Ned coming to his Peter and telling him he would never do that, and then Ned himself just losing all memory of his Peter.

They have to! Although I expect the Hobgoblin of the MCU will be different than traditional Marvel comics, since the MCU version has some magical capabilities. Maybe he will be a student of Strange's who goes rogue, or lured to the dark side by a surviving Scarlet Witch or Agatha Harkness or something.
I wouldn't rule them out just yet either. although we haven't seen Tom Hardy's Venom interact with any MCU characters yet, the possibility is getting closer and closer to that actually happening; Mordo is all but confirmed for Venom 3, and with the Kraven film on the way regardless of how that film performs I'm sure Aaron Taylor Johnson would be happy to face off against Spider-Man in some way.

we were just talking about Daredevil and since the canonicity has now been firmly set in stone, the fact that this actor was already in the MCU probably will just be purposely overlooked the same way Mahershala Ali was already in the MCU as Cottonmouth, and again as Blade.

as for Chameleon, even though he had just a minor role in FFH, I'd like to believe they'll bring the actor back if for nothing else just for consistency, and the fact that it'll add more diversity to the cast.

Last edited:
Those three in the reverse order would actually be my picks for the next trilogy. Though I'm expecting a proper MCU Venom to be Mac Gargan instead of Eddie Brock.
yeah I'm good with Mac Gargan being either the Scorpion or Venom; I just really want the actor to return. maybe he starts off as Scorpion working for the Kingpin but proves very easy for Spider-Man to defeat, and then eventually obtains the symbiote?
I love the likes of Dafoe and Molina, but I have to wonder if Feige was shortsighted to take the likes of Green Goblin and Doc Ock off the table unless those two came back to reprise the roles.
they left so much stuff from NwH so open ended, it's kinda ridiculous. it's worth its own thread in my opinion and I'm planning on publishing a full length Youtube video about it but in short: if these legacy characters aren't variants but the same exact characters from the previous movies, then where did they go back to? Norman still dies, and Octavius seemingly dies but Norman is supposed to be "cured" and Octavius has Stark tech in the palm of his hand as he evaporates

They absolutely are gonna bring in the Hobgoblin at some point. I felt like it would be too much of a missed opportunity not to; the conversation that Ned had with Peter One about his best friend who turned on him and died, and then Ned coming to his Peter and telling him he would never do that, and then Ned himself just losing all memory of his Peter.

They have to! Although I expect the Hobgoblin of the MCU will be different than traditional Marvel comics, since the MCU version has some magical capabilities. Maybe he will be a student of Strange's who goes rogue, or lured to the dark side by a surviving Scarlet Witch or Agatha Harkness or something.
If it were me, I'd try and adapt the original mystery angle the comics did. I'd feature the different characters who have taken up the mantle as suspects only for it to be revealed that its someone obscure like Robin Borne albeit this version isn't Peter Parker's daughter. As far as Ned goes, I'd keep the aspect of him being framed and paying the price for it.

yeah I'm good with Mac Gargan being either the Scorpion or Venom; I just really want the actor to return. maybe he starts off as Scorpion working for the Kingpin but proves very easy for Spider-Man to defeat, and then eventually obtains the symbiote?
I'd still want him to start off as Scorpion too. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll finally see that in S-M4.

If it were me, I'd try and adapt the original mystery angle the comics did. I'd feature the different characters who have taken up the mantle as suspects only for it to be revealed that its someone obscure like Robin Borne albeit this version isn't Peter Parker's daughter. As far as Ned goes, I'd keep the aspect of him being framed and paying the price for it.
gotta be honest, I am not as well versed as you are in the comics so I'm not familiar with the Robin Borne character, or Peter's daughter's involvement in the storyline. this also involves Ned being innocent and framed for being the real Hobgoblin?
I'd still want him to start off as Scorpion too. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll finally see that in S-M4.
that sounds good to me. the Scorpion suit can be something of his own making perhaps. we really don't know what's happened with him ever since he ended up in prison in Homecoming. he wanted to know Spider-Man's identity. then he briefly found out (if news traveled into prisons) and then he forgot again.

but if he bonds with the symbiote after Peter does, he'll have that memory brought back; maybe it'll even unlock his old memories since the symbiote knows all of Peter's thoughts...

Michael Mando is such a terrific and I'd even say, underrated actor. It looks like he hasn't really done much since Better Call Saul ended. here is to hoping that he will get that call from Sony and Disney to reprise his role as Mac Gargan.

gotta be honest, I am not as well versed as you are in the comics so I'm not familiar with the Robin Borne character, or Peter's daughter's involvement in the storyline. this also involves Ned being innocent and framed for being the real Hobgoblin?
No they're separate things. My thinking is more to throw off fans and have the MCU Hobgoblin being someone completely random. I'd use the other characters suspected of being him in the comics as being red herrings for the movie. Robin Borne is a fairly minor character who briefly held the mantle so I'd be continuing the MCU tradition of creating an essentially original character and slapping an obscure name from the comics on them.

Here's a pretty good video on the Hobgoblin's early history:

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule them out just yet either. although we haven't seen Tom Hardy's Venom interact with any MCU characters yet, the possibility is getting closer and closer to that actually happening; Mordo is all but confirmed for Venom 3, and with the Kraven film on the way regardless of how that film performs I'm sure Aaron Taylor Johnson would be happy to face off against Spider-Man in some way.

we were just talking about Daredevil and since the canonicity has now been firmly set in stone, the fact that this actor was already in the MCU probably will just be purposely overlooked the same way Mahershala Ali was already in the MCU as Cottonmouth, and again as Blade.

as for Chameleon, even though he had just a minor role in FFH, I'd like to believe they'll bring the actor back if for nothing else just for consistency, and the fact that it'll add more diversity to the cast.

That's why I qualified my statement with " seemingly, off the table" .
I don't think they're totally off the table , though I think The Venom whose an antagonist won't be Hardy's version of the character , it'll likely be an MCU version ,with another actor.

That said, I see Hardy's Venom turning up in Avengers: Secret Wars .

As far as Kraven , I also tend to think that version will be an MCU version and a different actor .
Whether Johnson plays Kraven in the MCU is TBD , and I think alot of that will be determined by how well that film does, so I don't see it as a guarantee ,at this point.

As for Chameleon, he's also in the Kraven film , so, what the status of that character is , who knows.

No they're separate things. My thinking is more to throw off fans and have the MCU Hobgoblin being someone completely random. I'd use the other characters suspected of being him in the comics as being red herrings for the movie. Robin Borne is a fairly minor character who briefly held the mantle so I'd be continuing the MCU tradition of creating an essentially original character and slapping an obscure name from the comics on them.

Here's a pretty good video on the Hobgoblin's early history:

ohhhhhh I see. I started that video and am about halfway through; I actually didn't even know that MCU Ned Leeds was partially based on Ganke Lee whose Miles' best friend.

I'm at work otherwise I'd finish the rest now, but if Disney wishes to use this villain, I can see them going for some originality for it. That's kinda what they did with Vision, and the Mandarin, and probably other characters too - those are just the first two that come to mind. Changing who Star-Lord's father is was also a pretty big deal in my opinion.

edit: I'm close to the end of the video now, now learning how much of a red herring Hobgoblin's identity was in the comics and how the ultimate reveal came down to a petty argument between writers and editors. But I suppose the concept of the red herring could be something incorporated into the plot of a Spider-Man should Sony & Disney decide to have him be one of the villains. if they do, I just hope they don't play it out too much because constant red herrings can backfire. I wasn't a fan of it in Wandavision
That's why I qualified my statement with " seemingly, off the table" .
I don't think they're totally off the table , though I think The Venom whose an antagonist won't be Hardy's version of the character , it'll likely be an MCU version ,with another actor.

That said, I see Hardy's Venom turning up in Avengers: Secret Wars .
gotcha. yeah I was conversing with @Chris B about this but I would be up for Mac Gargan becoming the villainous Venom in the MCU. that version of the character was always just a villain iirc, he never became an anti-hero to team up with Spider-Man. but I just wonder if that little drop grows into a full venom symbiote and that's what bonds with Peter, or will it be Tom Hardy's symbiote? if it's the former, that means that Hardy's Venom is just never gonna get the white spider on his chest unless Peter bonds with a symbiote for a second time, in Secret Wars.
As far as Kraven , I also tend to think that version will be an MCU version and a different actor .
Whether Johnson plays Kraven in the MCU is TBD , and I think alot of that will be determined by how well that film does, so I don't see it as a guarantee ,at this point.
yeah I guess right now it can go either way, and it really depends on the performance of Kraven like you said. but going by Sony's track record, I think chances are pretty low at this point. perhaps the only reason why Eddie Brock was added to NwH was because his films actually have a decent sized fan base and the box office performance was successful.
As for Chameleon, he's also in the Kraven film , so, what the status of that character is , who knows.
ah, I didn't know that! I gotta look into this now. is it the same actor as FFH?

Last edited:
The guy whose playing Chameleon's alter ego, is Fred Hechinger.
Now , the actor is in his Early 20s, so , in the film , who knows if he becomes the Chameleon in the film or he may just be playing the same character at as a teen.

It's Sony so, we'll see.

In terms of how Peter gets the symbiote, the alleged scoops and rumors have been all over the place
from getting it from the drop, to getting it during Secret Wars . There's been a recent rumor that Peter almost bites it in SM4 , and the symbiote saves his life.

So , it's anyone's guess.

The guy whose playing Chameleon's alter ego, is Fred Hechinger.
Now , the actor is in his Early 20s, so , in the film , who knows if he becomes the Chameleon in the film or he may just be playing the same character at as a teen.

It's Sony so, we'll see.
I'm gonna guess and say it's just a different version of the character entirely. The MCU version was so insignificant, Sony probably just forgot about that actor and probably wouldn't feel like like he would draw audiences in since he isn't known for very many blockbusters. The only other movie of his I can think of is Aladdin.
In terms of how Peter gets the symbiote, the alleged scoops and rumors have been all over the place
from getting it from the drop, to getting it during Secret Wars . There's been a recent rumor that Peter almost bites it in SM4 , and the symbiote saves his life.

So , it's anyone's guess.
I suppose the rumors are all over the place because Sony and Disney are split on what the grand scale of Spider-Man 4 is supposed to be. We have all just been speculating, anyway. there isn't much for us to go off of until we get closer to the time they start filming.

New ‘Matrix’ Movie in the Works with Drew Goddard Writing, Directing

Warner Bros. is heading back into The Matrix, and this time Drew Goddard is leading the charge.

Goddard, the fan-favorite writer-director whose credits include The Martian, The Cabin in the Woods and World War Z, has been tapped to write and direct a new Matrix feature for the studio, Warners announced Wednesday.

So much for Goddard taking this on...
literally just found out about this too. what a bummer :(

A bit disappointing but I also didn't think Goddard was a must have either. While I like his work and do think he would have been a good candiate, I can't help but also think about his previous Sinister Six ideas he had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"