No Way Home Spider-Man: No Way Home General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

For those that have seen it do the additional, extended scenes feel naturally edited in or shoehorned? Is the original cut smoother?

Tomorrow's the first Cinema Day in the US, with $3 tickets, so that might be incentive to just go see the movie again.

For those that have seen it do the additional, extended scenes feel naturally edited in or shoehorned? Is the original cut smoother?

Borrowing from The Caped Knight who succinctly explained nearly all the extra footage and giving comments:

Peter getting interrogated by Damage Control and the pattern that Spidey battles involved historical landmarks & May insulting the damage control agent
-The "landmark" bit may have been intended to set-up Jameson's comment about Tom!Peter "about to destroy another national landmark" but I do think it was nice means of acknowledging continuity within the 3 MCU Spider-Man movies.

More of Midtown high including Peter wall crawling in gym class
-I think these scenes should've been included in the original theater cut, simply because they help flesh out Tom!Peter's post-identity reveal and the discomfort with his newfound fame. We get more reactions from students to Peter, with some taking interest in him (where they wouldn't have before), others just commenting "hey, I've been in class with him", and others curiously observing him. The bulk of Flash and Betty's screentime were cut out with these scenes. There is one part that should absolutely have remained as a bonus scene, and that's a scene of Betty's reporter channel where she's interviewing various people (Flash, Peter, Ned, teachers). It went on for too long and felt kind of awkward (though the awkwardness may have been intended).

Spider-Man stopping the robbery played by Harry Holland (Tom’s younger brother)
-Again, mostly a scene to help flesh out post-identity reveal Peter, but I did like that this was basically an inverse of Homecoming where "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" Tom!Peter is no longer being treated as such. He stops the robbery, but there are a few civilians present who all have mixed reactions to his help; one chastises him, one defends him, and the person who was being helped wasn't necessarily appreciative (or I don't remember him thanking Peter directly).

More clips from J.Jonah Jameson
-There were two new Jameson scenes I could recall, which include an additional report on Spider-Man leading into Betty's "go get 'em tiger, or should I say, spider?" right before Peter/MJ/Ned go to Midtown High (Betty in the original cut has a longer report before the go get em tiger line as a result of Jameson's scene being cut), and Jameson actually reporting on the Electro/Sandman incident on a tip from one of the construction workers at that site that's right before he advertises his Daily Bugle supplements. The construction worker's tip did not present a wholly negative picture of Spider-Man, hence explaining why Jameson would be insistent on one of his news people follow after Peter to get "incriminating footage of Spider-Man". More Jameson isn't a bad thing, even if this version isn't as fun as the Raimiverse Jameson.

The elevator scene cleaned up
-This scene being cut is understandable, but they smash cut into this scene (like the scene of Dr Strange shutting out Peter from the sanctorum post failed spell) after Electro's "If this goes south, I'mma fry you from the inside out" line so I found it amusing enough that I wouldn't have minded if they kept it.

Matt Murdock defending Happy
-Not much more Murdock screentime or lines. He is defending Happy in front of Damage Control by saying he's innocent and tells Happy "do not sweat". The only notable thing is Happy getting a camera notification on his phone showing Peter/May/Villains entering his condo which helps explain his later phone call/voicemail to Peter, though that wouldn't be difficult to infer.

A longer conversation between Peter Parker, Peter and Peter Benjamin Parker at the Statue of Liberty
-I would say this is where the original cut is better; the longer conversation on the same topics (Tobey!Peter's web situation and supervillains) did not flow as smoothly. The only thing I found somewhat awkward in the original cut was Tom!Peter going into supervillain talk because it felt like a "we need another topic to talk about" kind of line. In the extended version, this line was the result of him actually trying to steer the conversation away from the subject of Tobey!Peter's web situation after Andrew!Peter was making it too awkward (Andrew!Peter had a line that went something like "I'd like to see those holes" concerning where Tobey!Peter's webs come out from and Tobey!Peter gives him a WTF look), giving it a more sensible transition. One notable thing is Andrew!Peter having a line about "wishing to do things differently" right after talking about Max being the sweetest guy ever and "second chances", but I imagine it was cut because of redundancy; Tobey/Andrew would figuratively get their second chances in a "show don't tell" manner through their actions in the Statue of Liberty fight.

Alternate end credit scene with Peter Parker missing from Betty’s recap of the adventures of the trilogy featuring Midtown high classmates
-Some clarification; the highlights featured in Betty's recap still feature Peter Parker, but in some of them his face is obscured (a picture of him in the Far From Home Europe trip for instance has a bird completely cover his face), in others he is only partially in frame (showing his arm), and then some highlights outright remove him. So Strange's spell, at least where it comes to physical evidence, is somewhat imperfect - it doesn't completely erase Peter Parker from physical evidence, but it does just enough to ensure that no one will pay attention to his existence. This could partially help explain Peter being able to rent and move into an apartment; some form of his identity is probably still in-tact in a manner that helps him, such as his social security number.

The one scene Caped Knight didn't mention was a extended scene in the Undercroft when Peter/Ned/MJ are doing preparation before hunting down multiversal visitors. The "Monster Mash" song is playing over this scene instead of the "wizard-y" sounding MCU Spider-Man theme, and this extended version is a mostly comedic scene with Ned making a mess knocking over stuff by accident. Probably better off as a bonus scene, like Betty's news channel.

tl;dr Overall, I'd say that none of the extra scenes felt shoehorned in; I think they were edited into the movie in a way that it helps flesh out the movie/set-up/explained some things more, but there were definitely some extended scenes that were better off removed/cut down/made into bonus scenes. If the Tobey vs Goblin fight was added to this extended cut, I would consider that a form of shoehorning, but it would be really neat fanservice (in a movie that already features a lot of fanservice, what's one more bit of fanservice)

Again, the Tobey and Goblin fight will join the countless deleted material of Spider-Man 3 and TASM 2 that will never, ever see the light of day. Sad but true.

Just got back from seeing it. A $3 ticket and never getting around to seeing it in theaters a second time due to Omicron were my main factors in checking it out but if it weren't for that I don't know if I'd really recommend this as something that's worth venturing out to see at full price. Most of the new scenes didn't add a whole lot to the movie. I liked the extended Damage Control stuff including the new scene with Matt and Happy and the extended convo at the Statue of Liberty between the Peters which really could have been squeezed into the original cut. The scene with Spidey getting splashed with paint probably should have been in the theatrical cut also because we see the outcome of it. I'd have preferred more of Tobey and Andrew as well as the cut fight scenes with the Goblin but what we mostly got was more Midtown High stuff which kinda slowed the pacing. The Betty Brant interview scene in particular grinded the movie to a halt but I now understand why they put her and Flash on the poster.

Last edited:
Again, the Tobey and Goblin fight will join the countless deleted material of Spider-Man 3 and TASM 2 that will never, ever see the light of day. Sad but true.
The sad thing about Spider-Man 3 is we could’ve gotten alot more deleted scenes but Bob Murawski (the editor) wasted that opportunity

I enjoyed the Extended Cut. I just wish there were some extended action scenes and deleted scenes featuring the villains. All of this stuff (besides the interview portion) could’ve easily stayed in the Theatrical.

Yeah, sorry, I'm rooting for Maverick. At least one isn't a re-release of a movie that's nothing but a cashgrab that lacks any new interesting material.

Just got back from no way home: extended edition!! Must be going senile but swore they said daredevil and spidey scene in this cut!! Boooo just another Matt Murdock scene!! Still happy with this movie most of xtra stuff is k but am disappointed that I misread or they faked me out!! Didn’t really have to see this again!!

Seeing another cut with Deleted Scenes added back > Watching deleted scenes in the special features

Which is why I’m not mad at Sony for re-releasing this. I want more Alternate Cuts for Spider-Man films

Unpopular opinion, but you do you.

Also, this is a once in a lifetime thing. You're never going to see any alternate cuts for other Spider-Man movies (SM3 Editor's Cut not withstanding), not unless you go searching for fan-edits.

I'm never opposed to alternate/extended cuts of movies, if its more of what you like then why not?

I liked this version. I can see why the scenes were cut but tbh all the stuff added in act I actually made act I better for me. Because I felt in the original version everything was moving so fast and we didnt really get to catch our breath and see the impact of Peter's identity reveal. The extended cut adds in some nice scenes to really dwell on what Peter's school life is like and how his decision impacted everything. It makes act I feel more fleshed out before we get to the multiverse shenanigans.

I'm never opposed to alternate/extended cuts of movies, if its more of what you like then why not?
Because that hasn't been Sony's M.O. with the Spider-Man movies for the most part. I don't see why this isn't plainly obvious to you. The only reason they re-released NWH was due to Morbius bombing twice at the box office and them needing to regain money from that, not to mention that it's dishonest to advertise the deleted scenes for the NWH Blu-Ray and then not doing it and instead a re-release just to squeeze a few more bucks out of people for scenes that imo weren't really worth seeing in theaters.

You think Sony would ever honestly consider releasing substant deleted material from both Spider-Man 3 and TASM 2? No, they wouldn't, and they won't. Stuff like Shailene Woodley's MJ scenes, Sandman's cut scenes and the Tobey and Goblin fight for example are never going to see the light of day.

Mondo has re-released their Home Trilogy posters for a limited time only

View attachment 58530 View attachment 58531 View attachment 58532
The Mondo tradition of making astonishingly better posters than actual official ones continues. :hehe:

Because that hasn't been Sony's M.O. with the Spider-Man movies for the most part. I don't see why this isn't plainly obvious to you. The only reason they re-released NWH was due to Morbius bombing twice at the box office and them needing to regain money from that, not to mention that it's dishonest to advertise the deleted scenes for the NWH Blu-Ray and then not doing it and instead a re-release just to squeeze a few more bucks out of people for scenes that imo weren't really worth seeing in theaters.

You think Sony would ever honestly consider releasing substant deleted material from both Spider-Man 3 and TASM 2? No, they wouldn't, and they won't. Stuff like Shailene Woodley's MJ scenes, Sandman's cut scenes and the Tobey and Goblin fight for example are never going to see the light of day.

The Mondo tradition of making astonishingly better posters than actual official ones continues. :hehe:

Dont get me wrong, @Arachnerd , I'm not ignorant to the fact that its a blatant corporate cash grab, just like how Fox released Days of Future Past on video and shortly after announced they were going to release a different cut so people can double dip. Its a studio milking money out of the product and the customer but...i mean, if i like the product then screw it, is all I'm saying lol

I watched More Fun Stuff to hold me over for Across the Spiderverse, which was originally supposed to come out this year. I'm still glad to have revisited NWH with extra scenes (and I already rewatched NWH as an in-flight movie earlier this year!) and hope Across the Spiderverse will be amazing just like Into the Spiderverse.

We could’ve saw more Deleted Spider-Man 3 material in the Editor’s Cut but the Editor screwed that up by making that cut about himself instead of what the fans wanted.

That's certainly an odd take.
How? Fans spent years making petitions for a Spider-Man 3.1 and researching Deleted Scenes (even to this day). Sony comes to him to make another cut of Spider-Man 3 for it's 10 Year Anniversary. Knowing that this opportunity may never come again, he wastes it to release that underwhelming Editor's Cut that is even shorter than the Theatrical Cut.

He didn't include the scenes of Eddie going to the Gwen's house after getting fired, Eddie sneaking into Peter's apartment after he becomes Venom, the Extended Church scene of Eddie's speech because of pacing but he messed up the pacing by taking out the Aunt May scene ( now the movie feels like it's rushing to the final battle/ending). He didn't include Eddie's part in the Sandcastle scene (and placing it after Peter gets rid of the symbiote) because it's "boring" as if the alley scene he went with was so great (so great it created a plot hole). I don't think my take was odd at all. Ever wonder why Sony won't give us some more Spider-Man 3 deleted scenes, the blame partially falls on him.

When you say things like "making the cut about himself" you sound like an entitled fanboy. The dude is just an editor, he has no skin in the game. Yeah they could have added all these other scenes back in but would they have really made the movie better? Or would it have just padded out an already mediocre movie? The editor even said himself, had Raimi had full control he probably would have made SM3 even shorter than it was.

Ultimately SM3's biggest issue is it's story/script. This isn't a situation of them filming this great movie that got butchered in post. Adding all these scenes back in the movie isn't gonna fix anything if you have a poor foundation to begin with.

And I say all this as someone who wanted an "extended" cut of SM3 back in 2007.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"