No Way Home Spider-Man: No Way Home General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Today makes 2 weeks sense I started getting symptoms because of covid and I have felt normally sense yesterday and had slight symptoms for a few days before that. Was basically sick like 10-11 days. Now I go back to work tommorw and think I will get back to exercising after work and hopefully Tuesday get to see legend of the 10 rings been wanting to see it. What have I missed the last like 4-5 days sense I was last like on here?

Just a joke, without Andrew and Tobey, there is only Iron Boy.
Ohhhhhh hahahaha.

I was always fine with the mentor relationship Peter had with Tony, but what I didn't like is how the solo Spider-Man movies felt like Iron Man spinoff films instead of Spider-Man movies.

Happy being a main character, the villains' being tied to Tony Stark in some way, an emphasis on suits made for him via Stark industries, and general Stark industries presence in the movies.

Does anyone find it odd that this movie and the matrixes movie come out only like a week apart and are both sony movies?

Matrix is WB

Oh my bad thought it was sony for some reason. Still kind of surprised they are only 1 week apart and not like 2-3 weeks but I guess at the same time with everything being delayed the last like 18 months or so its kind of hard to space things out.

I really don't get the whole Iron boy Jr joke, Tom Holland is more Peter Benjamin Parker than Andrew was. He's a nerdy fanboy who is a brilliant scientist with a stealer sense of humor. He nailed the comics Peter Parker.

Eh...

Andrew as Peter showed off a **** ton of scientific acumen in both putting his web shooters together and in working alongside Conners.

I don't know where in comics Peter has ever been a "Fanboy"? A nerdy type? Sure. Any "Fanboy" aspects is the MCU riding the zeitgeist wave of pandering to the geek set.

And in no way does Tom's Spidey qualify as being a character who has stellar humor. He doesn't say things to be funny. He says things that are written in context to be funny but that's almost at his expense as a character rather than how it is in the comics where both Peter and Spidey intentionally say **** that is funny as both coping mechanism to deal with regular and super life as well as to take the piss out of enemies and friends a like.

Tom's Peter has had all the edges sanded down not too different than Tobey's but with this added almost child like sweetness to make him go over with the mass audience but they had to jettison a lot of the comics Spidey personality to accomplish that.

Tom as Parker has zero acerbic or biting wit and zero sense of sarcastic humor. He is a sweet nice kid who is over eager to do the job but seems not to be haunted by his own flaws and failings because they haven't leaned into his humanity just made sure he is likeable so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities about anything.

And I had zero issue with this approach when he started... But they haven't added anything else really after all these outings with the character. Hell, he died and came back to life and the affect on him has been... What? They could add layers to him but that would mean moving him beyond just this surface level Golly Gee Whiz kid thing. And I don't think comic Peter has every had that as some essential part of who he is.

The reality is , we're dealing with a 60 year old character , who, while keeping some characteristics similar , has been portrayed in different ways by different actors in different contexts.

Its a 60 year old character with multiple comics, continuities, cartoons, films, tv shows across 6 decades.

So there's never going to be an actor, or a version of the character, that will capture every aspect of Peter Parker to the satisfaction of everyone.

There will always be people who aren't satisfied with whatever iteration comes along.

The same thing happened to Tobey. The same thing certainly happened with Andrew, and the same thing will happen with the next actor to play Peter Parker. You can bet on it.

For me, the question is whether the producers have delivered a version of Spiderman I like and except, and whether I feel Holland has done a good job to the best of his ability.

For me, the answer is yes to both. For others fans, the answer is no.

At the end of the day, Holland's Spiderman is a huge success with the GA, and like or not, he's the Spiderman for a younger generation of kids who are gonna look back fondly at his tenure .

The reality is , we're dealing with a 60 year old character , who, while keeping some characteristics similar , has been portrayed in different ways by different actors in different contexts.

Its a 60 year old character with multiple comics, continuities, cartoons, films, tv shows across 6 decades.

So there's never going to be an actor, or a version of the character, that will capture every aspect of Peter Parker to the satisfaction of everyone.

There will always be people who aren't satisfied with whatever iteration comes along.

The same thing happened to Tobey. The same thing certainly happened with Andrew, and the same thing will happen with the next actor to play Peter Parker. You can bet on it.

For me, the question is whether the producers have delivered a version of Spiderman I like and except, and whether I feel Holland has done a good job to the best of his ability.

For me, the answer is yes to both. For others fans, the answer is no.

At the end of the day, Holland's Spiderman is a huge success with the GA, and like or not, he's the Spiderman for a younger generation of kids who are gonna look back fondly at his tenure .
I think there are good points on both sides but in Peter's 60 year comic history I don't think there was ever any character that was his superhero mentor on the same level that Tony is for Peter in the MCU.

Sure he has gotten help and guidance from older characters, but I don't know if there has ever been a time where another character built web shooters for him and granted him access to tech in manufacturing new suits rapidly.

But none of this is a slight to Tom Holland as an actor and you're right that he's the current and future generation's Spider-Man. He has appeared as the character the most out of any actor in live action cinematic history.

Eh...

Andrew as Peter showed off a **** ton of scientific acumen in both putting his web shooters together and in working alongside Conners.

I don't know where in comics Peter has ever been a "Fanboy"? A nerdy type? Sure. Any "Fanboy" aspects is the MCU riding the zeitgeist wave of pandering to the geek set.

And in no way does Tom's Spidey qualify as being a character who has stellar humor. He doesn't say things to be funny. He says things that are written in context to be funny but that's almost at his expense as a character rather than how it is in the comics where both Peter and Spidey intentionally say **** that is funny as both coping mechanism to deal with regular and super life as well as to take the piss out of enemies and friends a like.

Tom's Peter has had all the edges sanded down not too different than Tobey's but with this added almost child like sweetness to make him go over with the mass audience but they had to jettison a lot of the comics Spidey personality to accomplish that.

Tom as Parker has zero acerbic or biting wit and zero sense of sarcastic humor. He is a sweet nice kid who is over eager to do the job but seems not to be haunted by his own flaws and failings because they haven't leaned into his humanity just made sure he is likeable so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities about anything.

And I had zero issue with this approach when he started... But they haven't added anything else really after all these outings with the character. Hell, he died and came back to life and the affect on him has been... What? They could add layers to him but that would mean moving him beyond just this surface level Golly Gee Whiz kid thing. And I don't think comic Peter has every had that as some essential part of who he is.
This kind of sums it up for me, outside a few brief moments here and there they're afraid to really address the serious drama and character flaws of Peter with Tom's version. This is part of why Andrew was actually my favorite live-action version, they weren't afraid to go there in ASM1, we see him be an a**hole, we see him face serious consequences for it, he cracks jokes often at others expense that aren't always particularly mature, and we also see May and Gwen absolutely terrified for him when they see him come back covered in cuts and bruises and we can see that the s*** he goes through leaves an impact on him. I don't hate Tom's Peter/Spidey, but Tom is a very good actor and they could go a lot deeper with the character than they have and it just kind of frustrates me to see the potential get wasted. A specific example for me is we get no real follow up to May finding out he's Spider-Man, we just skip ahead to her being perfectly ok with it, there was so much they could've done with that, and they did nothing, they just skipped all of the potential drama it opens them up to.

This kind of sums it up for me, outside a few brief moments here and there they're afraid to really address the serious drama and character flaws of Peter with Tom's version. This is part of why Andrew was actually my favorite live-action version, they weren't afraid to go there in ASM1, we see him be an a**hole, we see him face serious consequences for it, he cracks jokes often at others expense that aren't always particularly mature, and we also see May and Gwen absolutely terrified for him when they see him come back covered in cuts and bruises and we can see that the s*** he goes through leaves an impact on him. I don't hate Tom's Peter/Spidey, but Tom is a very good actor and they could go a lot deeper with the character than they have and it just kind of frustrates me to see the potential get wasted. A specific example for me is we get no real follow up to May finding out he's Spider-Man, we just skip ahead to her being perfectly ok with it, there was so much they could've done with that, and they did nothing, they just skipped all of the potential drama it opens them up to.

Yeah I like Tom and outside of FFH I like all his outings so far and am very excited to see NWH and a historic crossover of different live action versions of this character I love.

I have just come around after all these years to seeing that the Spider-Boy/Iron Boy criticism has some merit to them.

Difference between 2 Versions. IMAX vs CROPPED
Original Image link : https://i.hizliresim.com/lkvzcu6.png
lkvzcu6.png

the bolded is such a great example. they decided to reduce it into a joke moment and stinger for the end of the movie. too lighthearted, and not heartfelt enough

I think there are good points on both sides but in Peter's 60 year comic history I don't think there was ever any character that was his superhero mentor on the same level that Tony is for Peter in the MCU.

Sure he has gotten help and guidance from older characters, but I don't know if there has ever been a time where another character built web shooters for him and granted him access to tech in manufacturing new suits rapidly.

But none of this is a slight to Tom Holland as an actor and you're right that he's the current and future generation's Spider-Man. He has appeared as the character the most out of any actor in live action cinematic history.
Strange I don't remember MCU Spider-Man having his web shooters built for him, because unless I remembered Homecoming and Civil War wrong he already had his own, long before Tony even showed up.
He's straight up the only live action Spider-Man who actually made his own web fluid too, I swear it's like people just have selective memory about these things.

Strange I don't remember MCU Spider-Man having his web shooters built for him, because unless I remembered Homecoming and Civil War wrong he already had his own, long before Tony even showed up.
He's straight up the only live action Spider-Man who actually made his own web fluid too, I swear it's like people just have selective memory about these things.
Andrew Garfield didn't make his own webbing? Also in FFH, I'm pretty sure the suit and weaponry were all manufactured by Stark Industries on Happy's plane, and that included the web shooters

Regardless of which one's my favorite, I have to say that one thing I really love about the live action Spideys is their distinct personalities, as it creates the potential for some really entertaining interactions. Hopefully the writers don't blow it.

Andrew Garfield didn't make his own webbing? Also in FFH, I'm pretty sure the suit and weaponry were all manufactured by Stark Industries on Happy's plane, and that included the web shooters
I guess so. But he had his own webbing before Stark.

No Garfield didn't make his own web fluid he literally just stole it from Oscorp.
And FFH is nor anywhere near the first time Peter needs are uses someone else's resources to make a suit for himself, in the comics he does like all the time whether it's thr Fantastic Four or Horizon Labs or even Curt Conner.

No Garfield didn't make his own web fluid he literally just stole it from Oscorp.
And FFH is nor anywhere near the first time Peter needs are uses someone else's resources to make a suit for himself, in the comics he does like all the time whether it's thr Fantastic Four or Horizon Labs or even Curt Conner.

True. His whole relationship with Stark is also very influenced by the Strazynski era of the comics. Tony was pretty much a mentor figure for Peter when he joined the Avengers. I mean, Aunt May, Mj and Peter lived in the Avengers tower with Tony and the rest for a while... Tony built him the Iron Spider suit... Of course, there´s a lot of differences in the films but still... It never bothered me :yay:. The relationship between Stark and Peter in the movies has always felt very organic to these versions of the characters. I´ve enjoyed it.

I guess so. But he had his own webbing before Stark.

his introduction in Civil War is fine because there they just establish Stark making a premium superhero suit for him, but that's it. They go a little beyond that in the future.
Ohhhhh really?? Okay, then Andrew's Spidey loses points in my book. Another criticism I had for the ASM series is Oscorp being involved in like EVERYTHING. I didn't know they were the answer to Peter's web shooting question, too.
but do the suits he's made by those characters employ specialized tech as well? The suits in the MCU movies have Stark AIs built in and as we saw in FFH, the suit itself can be woven immediately and stations to weave them are as accessible as being on a plane.

in what context did Peter go to the F4 or Horizon or Dr. Connors for a new suit?

but do the suits he's made by those characters employ specialized tech as well? The suits in the MCU movies have Stark AIs built in and as we saw in FFH, the suit itself can be woven immediately and stations to weave them are as accessible as being on a plane.

in what context did Peter go to the F4 or Horizon or Dr. Connors for a new suit?

He has had sooooo many different costumes in the comics that that would be a really difficult question to answer...
I mean... just last year, in the comic books, a company made him a special costume with lots of crazy super high tech improvements that allowed him to broadcast his adventures to get money from the views.
9a4c7695ca83c1c980d795c0ef23bae3e51c320a.jpg

So... a little bit of Stark tech sounds like nothing to me at this point. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"