Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about most characters who take over a legacy mantle as well is that it’s kinda rare for the new guy/girl to even equal the predecessor, so the new person is always in the predecessors shadow.

I disagree. There are an awful lot of legacies who have matched or exceeded their predecessors popularity, or at the very least proved to be worthy of the moniker . Including Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Johnny Storm, Carol Danvers, Scott Lang, Hope Van Dyne, Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Damien Wayne, Kate Bishop, Jaime Reyes and Michael Holt. And the fine new Stargirl show is chock full of young legacy heroes, including Courtney Whitmore, Yolanda Montez, Beth Chapel and Rick Tyler.

We could be getting as many as three replacement Caps in The Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Sam Wilson, John Walker and Isiah Bradley - and it will be interesting to see them operate under Steve's long shadow.

Or why even kill them in the first place? Superheroes are a different breed, and with a franchise like Marvel for example, with this big open world and with fans wanting to see more crossovers, they should’ve relaxed on killing people off.

They could write them out in a plethora of different ways.

Because your universe does need stakes. I love these characters, but if we go 30 movies and no one has died and stayed dead, then you lose teeth to the story. Yeah, it is a trope in comics but A - I hate this in comics as well, B - Comics come out monthly and tell far more stories and C - since they're drawings, they don't age. People age. People see this in movies. So in a movie universe, characters have to come and go at some point. It's a fact of life.

Films are a different medium. Yeah I am not saying kill characters left and right, but once that card is played, it needs to stick. Otherwise, stories lose meaning and future movies become harder to take stakes seriously.

Because your universe does need stakes. I love these characters, but if we go 30 movies and no one has died and stayed dead, then you lose teeth to the story. Yeah, it is a trope in comics but A - I hate this in comics as well, B - Comics come out monthly and tell far more stories and C - since they're drawings, they don't age. People age. People see this in movies. So in a movie universe, characters have to come and go at some point. It's a fact of life.

Films are a different medium. Yeah I am not saying kill characters left and right, but once that card is played, it needs to stick. Otherwise, stories lose meaning and future movies become harder to take stakes seriously.

It depends on the circumstances. Killing Iron Man made sense. He's a beloved character who has been around a long time, RDJ wasn't doing any more anyways, and the death was immediately felt in the following film (Spider-Man Far From Home). Killing Quicksilver was pointless. Nobody cared enough about him for it to leave any impact. Audiences weren't given enough time to connect with him.

The MCU might be the biggest franchise in the world at the moment, but let’s not forget most of the characters were created 50 years ago. The last major evolution in superheroes probably happened in the early 90’s with the likes of Spawn. We’ve yet to really have anything different emerge from the genre/medium in quite some time, the problem is I can’t see that big change happening because of those legacy characters.

i guess that's why Manga is getting more popular even in the states.

It depends on the circumstances. Killing Iron Man made sense. He's a beloved character who has been around a long time, RDJ wasn't doing any more anyways, and the death was immediately felt in the following film (Spider-Man Far From Home). Killing Quicksilver was pointless. Nobody cared enough about him for it to leave any impact. Audiences weren't given enough time to connect with him.

Execution is key in anything. But do I want to see Quicksilver brought back? No. What's done is done, imo. They've done the fake death thing enough times IMO. Leave Iron Man, Natasha, etc. Move on to other characters, unless it is a prequel type situation.

Kind of, but I think it is more than manga is simply much easier to get into. American comics are a mess of continuity, multiple books, characters making appearances in other books, multiple writers and artists per character, etc. If you want to read One Piece (for example), it is easy. You pick up Volume 1 and start reading and eventually you get the whole story: beginning, middle, and one day it will eventually end. You can't do the same with Spider-Man.

Execution is key in anything. But do I want to see Quicksilver brought back? No. What's done is done, imo. They've done the fake death thing enough times IMO. Leave Iron Man, Natasha, etc. Move on to other characters, unless it is a prequel type situation.

Oh I don't want Quicksilver back either. I'm just saying when it comes to killing a character, they really should put a lot of thought into it as to whether it will provide the necessary emotion, impact, and/or shock value.

I will make an exception for certain characters, such as Loki, where somehow cheating death is something of a gimmick of his.

Yes.

Kind of, but I think it is more than manga is simply much easier to get into. American comics are a mess of continuity, multiple books, characters making appearances in other books, multiple writers and artists per character, etc. If you want to read One Piece (for example), it is easy. You pick up Volume 1 and start reading and eventually you get the whole story: beginning, middle, and one day it will eventually end. You can't do the same with Spider-Man.
Yes.

One Piece will never end. NEVER. lol.
Yes.

I would also say price point is a key ingredient, as well. Compare what $15 gets you in manga to what $15 gets you in comics, even in trade format.

I didn't mind killing Pietro off. But let him have a "Final Fate of the Flash" type of awesome ending where he runs himself to death trying to keep Sokovia afloat. Don't have Ultron (ULTRON!) put a cap in his arse.

Not much of a fan of the sequel, but watched the first again recently and it's still great.

Hope they can bounce back with AM3, but I feel they really miss the Edgar Wright influence the first movie had.

Also Adam McKay.

"I am still very much under contract and I am still very much under non-disclosure agreement,"Fisher explained. "So, I've gotta be very careful about what I say and how I say it. Otherwise I could get sued into oblivion. So just a disclaimer there. So for the folks who were looking for more specifics in the moment right now, I'm sorry that I cannot give them to you in the moment right now."

"Just gotta make sure all your ducks are laid out in a row, so you can go ahead and handle the situation appropriately, so you don't end up being outside of professionally liable, legally liable for anything that could be litigious or whatever that would be," he continued. "This will take some time. We will get it done, and we will win. And I'll be able to move on in the world."

Not sure how I feel about this. If s' went down and nobody else wants to say anything and you've twice posted that accountability > entertainment and also that somethings are more important than self preservation, then why should a NDA keep you from spilling?

Not sure how I feel about this. If s' went down and nobody else wants to say anything and you've twice posted that accountability > entertainment and also that somethings are more important than self preservation, then why should a NDA keep you from spilling?

Yeah it's more than a bit weird. I would have thought serious misconduct wouldn't be covered in an NDA. But admittedly I know sod all about it. Fair play to Fisher if he wants to protect himself but this whole thing is so damn odd Why does no-one significant have his back on this already? Why say anything yet if you can't say something of substance? We'll see soon enough I suppose.

Last edited:
it has to be more than 'he was a dick on the set.'

You would think so, surely. But... this is a unique situation where a 2nd director was brought in to replace the 1st after something tragic happened in their life, but also that 2nd director was brought in to completely unravel the 1st director's work and rebuild it into something else. May have been a pretty tense situation.

You also had the Warner Media suits pushing this thing along so they could grab their bonuses before the AT&T deal closed.

Manga straight up has a better business model than American comics. The latter is pretty much half in the grave. The only reason its half rotted corpse is dangled around is as proof of concept for the movies.

Unfortunately this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back