Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh I agree. Euphoria, Love Craft Country and Raised By Wolves are some top tier shows! HBO Max definitely has the quality, hopefully the subscribers start pouring in
I do find it interesting that most of the shows you are naming aren't "Max" shows. Now I know they are on Max, but they are kind of associated with HBO, which goes hand in hand with cable. I wonder how much of an issue that is. One thing I think really helps Disney Plus is that it really works with the extremes of the age range, while not having their own cable alternative, which means people just see it as it's own special entity.

I think people overstate The Mandalorian's impact on Disney+. Even after it finished Disney+ showed no signs of slowing down. Hamilton seemed like a much bigger deal

The price and family friendly content is the real draw imo

Someone deadass made this this. :funny:

A7M4RDq.jpg

shrug

HBO Max can pull from the people that want HBO.

That hasn't been working out so great for them so far. Allegedly one of the big things that hurt them was the branding confusion since a lot of people just thought Max was just a rebranded version of the existing HBO app instead of something with a much broader slate of content to draw from.

The actual library of old content is spectacular, they just really badly fumbled the launch and marketing.

I think people overstate The Mandalorian's impact on Disney+.

Nah, it's consistently one of the most popular and watched streaming shows. Even months after the first season ended, it was ranking as one of the most in demand shows not just on D+, but across the recently launched streaming platforms as a whole.

The nostalgia factor of the library definitely plays a part in retention, but having a hugely popular show like Mandalorian right out the gate absolutely played a role in getting attention for the service.

To try and boost the amount of subscribers they have at the end of the year. It's even sadder then I realized.

Its like Justice League all over again. No time to put a new creative team on the project. There are thresholds we have to meet to generate executive bonuses!

I'm surprised about Wondy with it being the ongoing story of a franchise that had a terrific debut. But AT&T has got bills to pay - and bonuses to dole out - and they can't afford to keep product in the can waiting for a normalcy that may be years away. A Disney Plus debut seems like a sure thing now for the Widow prequel.

I think people overstate The Mandalorian's impact on Disney+. Even after it finished Disney+ showed no signs of slowing down. Hamilton seemed like a much bigger deal

The price and family friendly content is the real draw imo
Haven't they increased their price ?

Most people in Asia don't care for SW and their spin-offs, so I doubt that Mandalorian is a big draw outside of US, people are signing up for Marvel and other Disney content.

Nah, it's consistently one of the most popular and watched streaming shows. Even months after the first season ended, it was ranking as one of the most in demand shows not just on D+, but across the recently launched streaming platforms as a whole.

The nostalgia factor of the library definitely plays a part in retention, but having a hugely popular show like Mandalorian right out the gate absolutely played a role in getting attention for the service.
I think it was 3 things:

They had an original series that got a lot of great press building on an already established franchise with a significant fanbase.

The library as stated, including Pixar, Disney, Marvel and Star Wars. I remember when I use to work at a video store and the same people would come in and buy the newest version of Disney movie and had all those old clamshells.

The subscription price $6.99 or $69.99 for a year.

Eh cop out answer but I doubt Disney+'s success is mostly The Mando or just their steaming library. If there was no Mandolorian, but they still had their huge streaming library it would've still been huge. If it had a smaller library but then it had the Mando I think would've still be huge.

I think it's so successful due to the price point, bundles, and the fact that Disney has a really strong brand that no other film brand really has.

Again HBO Max will be fine as well. It had a bad launch but people are just overreacting. A lot of products don't launch to huge gangbuster numbers. They mostly need to just refine they're offerings and messaging. Basically make it "if you wanna stream HBO stuff, you need HBO Max". Instead of stupidly having 2 or 3 different HBO streaming apps. Allegedly they have a potential 28m sign-ups but most people don't know that they should sign up because of their weird messaging with Max, Now, and Go.
HBO is a big brand and stays with a top tier buzzed about show (Got, Lovecraft Country, Chernobyl, etc.), WB owns a good collection of properties they can draw from, maybe one of the HBO Max originals will catch fire, and unless you're only signing up for DC content (and even that's changing) Max has a large and diverse library of shows and movies. On top of that, they still need to launch outside of the US. All of that is good for Max's future
I never got anyone's problem with HBO Max. It's not like there's nothing to watch on there unless you have a very singular taste in shows and movies. And I'm that case they probably have a problem with most tv/movie streaming services. The price point is about as much at Netflix and it has a wider selection of quality programming (the HBO shows alone) and way more potential

Last edited:
The ironic thing is that WW84 is probably better than all of those movies but it didn't qualify in time. Also, why are people labelling Sonic the Hedgehog as a superhero movie? Does that mean the Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat movies from the '90s are superhero movies too?

Again HBO Max will be fine as well. It had a bad launch but people are just overreacting. A lot of products don't launch to huge gangbuster numbers. They mostly need to just refine they're offerings and messaging. Basically make it "if you wanna stream HBO stuff, you need HBO Max". Instead of stupidly having 2 or 3 different HBO streaming apps. Allegedly they have a potential 28m sign-ups but most people don't know that they should sign up because of their weird messaging with Max, Now, and Go.
HBO is a big brand and stays with a top tier buzzed about show (Got, Lovecraft Country, Chernobyl, etc.), WB owns a good collection of properties they can draw from, maybe one of the HBO Max originals will catch fire, and unless you're only signing up for DC content (and even that's changing) Max has a large and diverse library of shows and movies. On top of that, they still need to launch outside of the US. All of that is good for Max's future
I never got anyone's problem with HBO Max. It's not like there's nothing to watch on there unless you have a very singular taste in shows and movies. And I'm that case they probably have a problem with most tv/movie streaming services. The price point is about as much at Netflix and it has a wider selection of quality programming (the HBO shows alone) and way more potential

I think HBO Max will be fine too but it's still a cable channel trying to become more of a streaming service. There was/are still a lot of wait until Amazon and Roku jump on board people, but allowing almost all their cable series users accessing their streaming channel but only a majority of them not doing it?

And, with Amazon joining up and rumors of Roku finally doing it by the end of the year, their HBO Max numbers should at least double in actual subscribers and not potential subscribers.

I am very curious to see how well WW84 does on HBO Max because I think that's more of a big get for a streaming channel that Mulan was for Disney+. However, if numbers are less than expected, part of me wonders if that's the future of the Snyder Cut?

The ironic thing is that WW84 is probably better than all of those movies but it didn't qualify in time. Also, why are people labelling Sonic the Hedgehog as a superhero movie? Does that mean the Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat movies from the '90s are superhero movies too?
Yeah I never considered Sonic a superhero. But then again, in my mind growing up, I never considered the Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers superheroes. But I can't really argue that they're not

It won't be and that's what I and others have been saying since they announced it and others have gotten mad about it.
Trying to get people to care about a movie that they didn't care about in theaters with a longer cut that most likely will double down on BvS (which people didn't like)

I might've read your post wrong. By you saying "the future of the Snyder Cut" I thought you meant them cancelling it if WW84 isn't a success

I guess my thought is if WW84 isn't enough for the average consumer to subscribe to HBO Max for, why would the Snyder Cut be outside the geek audience?

People will wanna see this mess and an even worse version of The Joker than Ayer's which I have full faith Snyder will provide lol

People will wanna see this mess and an even worse version of The Joker than Ayer's which I have full faith Snyder will provide lol
But that's us the geek contingent, not the general audience who would have seen WW84 in the theaters. If AT&T is trying to get those people to subscribe for JL or SS, I'd be more than a little surprised if that happened.

In theory, if WW84 is successful thats a good lead into the Snyder Cut. You gotta keep one thing in mind, HBO Max is going to asbolutely market the SC as a brand spanking new thing. They didnt spend 70 mill to market it as a simple “directors cut of that thing you guys were kinda meh on in 2017.” You can call it dishonest but i guarantee you this will be branded as an entirely new big budget Justice League feature with your favorite DC heroes and villains.

Whether the actual thing ends up good or bad, i think the streaming numbers for it are gonna be pretty big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"