Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
The film will only be available on HBO Max for a month according to the press release.
Today, Warner Bros. Pictures announced that its highly anticipated superhero tentpole film WONDER WOMAN 1984 will be released simultaneously in theaters and on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. on December 25, while debuting theatrically in international markets a week earlier starting on December 16. The film will be available for a month on HBO Max in the U.S. included at no additional cost to subscribers.
Warner Bros. Pictures’ WONDER WOMAN 1984 Flies To Historic Simultaneous Release In Theaters And On HBO Max In The U.S. On Christmas Day

Black Widow Disney + announcement incoming any day now. Bet on it. The studios are officially in “f*** it” mode and are just praying for the best atm.

Black Widow Disney + announcement incoming any day now. Bet on it. The studios are officially in “f*** it” mode and are just praying for the best atm.
Disney will have to see if the virus situation stabilizes by summer 2021. I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts it things still won’t be back to normal. We won’t return to a normal pre-pandemic era movie industry until sometime in either late 2021 or early 2022.

I agree with you but they cant sit on these movies until 2022. I think WB and Disney will pioneer this daring move to streaming with WW84 and BW and all eyes will be on them to see if the results are at least semi worth it.

Stop crying, you have healthcare. :o

Yeah, I thought this might happen after what we saw last week and it makes me wonder, just how bad is HBO MAX doing? Because this feels like a desperate HBO MAX movie. Between this and Soul I am definitely going to enjoy Christmas Day.
Last month, they released their quarterly reports that HBO and HBO Max had 38M US subscribers and HBO Max had 28.7M subscribers (I'm assuming the 28.7M is within that 38M). What they didn't say was that was eligible subscribers and only 8.6M actually subscribed. With Amazon finally joining up with HBO Max, you have almost 5M additional subscribers who I guess had GO/Now who will convert to MAX. BUT, again those aren't new subscribers and I would assume is part of the 38M.

I mean this should bring in new subscribers. But since this is all new territory, not sure how well this will do for their streaming service.
Apparently it's now been confirmed when asking their partners that they won't be cutting deals with other services in other countries. The only way to stream it will be HBO Max in the US. Yeah, looks like a desperate move to boost their struggling service.

Wait I'm really really confused. It's only gonna be on HBO Max for a month? If it's only there a month it's even less likely that it'll boost subscriber numbers. So then what's the point.

I really am just baffled by WB's strategy in the last year.

I mean this should bring in new subscribers. But since this is all new territory, not sure how well this will do for their streaming service.

One of their biggest hurdles was that they weren't able to get a Roku deal. Maybe they hope this will be enough. Disney was able to work that out because the hype around Mandalorian and the MCU shows were huge enough that all the other services like Roku and Fire wanted a piece of that action. Wonder Woman 1984 is the highest profile thing HBO Max has ever had so far, so maybe it'll be a bargaining chip for them.

HBO Max also had 2 different streaming services in Go and Now and Max wanted to restructure the deals with Amazon and Roku and both of them butted heads for months and obviously Roku much longer.

Disney+ was a single entry with no other connections. Of course it could have been easily added.

Wait I'm really really confused. It's only gonna be on HBO Max for a month? If it's only there a month it's even less likely that it'll boost subscriber numbers. So then what's the point.

I haven't read that anywhere. The WarnerMedia press release only says it'll be free of charge for the first month of release..

So they can say they had X amount of subscribers at the end of 2020, I guess. Make the numbers look better than they are, then hope they go up on their own next year.

I haven't read that anywhere. The WarnerMedia press release only says it'll be free of charge for the first month of release..
‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Going In Theaters & HBO Max On Christmas Day – Deadline

WW1984 will only play on HBO Max for the first 30 days before Warners pulls it off (and again it will be in play in whatever theaters). From day 31 to 60, the sequel will have an exclusive theatrical window before going on PVOD on day 61.

I’m sorry but I can’t see this experiment being nothing but a miserable failure for them.

WW one of the tentpole films that needs the domestic more than the international seeing as the first film only really made bank in the States, and with most theaters there closed for the foreseeable future this can only end badly for them. Europe is still mostly closed, and the first WW movie didn’t do too hot in Asia.

So I don’t think Warners strategy here will work but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Can't say I blame her. I'd be pissed too, especially if it's only going to be on Max for a month.

Like what even is the point of this.
To try and boost the amount of subscribers they have at the end of the year. It's even sadder then I realized.

I now know I will be able to watch it like crazy for a month, then have to wait like 45-60 days for the blu ray release. This is so dumb. I do wonder if the HBO Max situation is also tied to existing contracts, that mean they have to release it on VOD and thus can't have it on HBO Max, not that it will matter after being out for a month with all the bootlegging. This is so dumb...

Win for me! Luckily I don’t have to worry about answering to investors! I get WW84 in theaters and at home. I ain’t complaining. Think it’s safe to assume that a Roku deal is imminent... also a 3rd WW movie is all but guaranteed now

To try and boost the amount of subscribers they have at the end of the year. It's even sadder then I realized.

I now know I will be able to watch it like crazy for a month, then have to wait like 45-60 days for the blu ray release. This is so dumb. I do wonder if the HBO Max situation is also tied to existing contracts, that mean they have to release it on VOD and thus can't have it on HBO Max, not that it will matter after being out for a month with all the bootlegging. This is so dumb...
I was thinking the same thing. Between the release in theaters internationally, a limited high quality release for some Americans, and just the overall competitiveness of streaming services. This thing is going to be pirated to hell and back, and probably pretty easily.

Okay, I am sort of getting worried about Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn. If HBO Max is doing this poorly. Especially when they are blowing money on crap like the Snyder Cut. ****.

They need big shows/franchises to attract the general audiences. Unfortunately they fumbled their debut (no Roku/Amazon deals, no big Star Wars type show)! They need a Wizarding World or Huge DC show to get the subscribers and unfortunately for what ever reason that didn’t happen.

A Hogwarts show, Harry Potters parents at Hogwarts...etc

A Green Lantern or good Titans show...etc

Imagine the buzz that would have created! Luckily for HBO Max they have a ton of DC shows, a Gossip Girl reboot, a Game of Thrones spinoff...etc coming next year.

They need big shows/franchises to attract the general audiences. Unfortunately they fumbled their debut (no Roku/Amazon deals, no big Star Wars type show)! They need a Wizarding World or Huge DC show to get the subscribers and unfortunately for what ever reason that didn’t happen.

A Hogwarts show, Harry Potters parents at Hogwarts...etc

A Green Lantern or good Titans show...etc

Imagine the buzz that would have created! Luckily for HBO Max they have a ton of DC shows, a Gossip Girl reboot, a Game of Thrones spinoff...etc coming next year.
There will be no Harry Potter show until the TERF wants one, and there is no indication she wants to make on. In fact ,she seems dead set against it, though maybe her acting like a bigot might make it more possible. You know, to win over some good will.

HBO Max launched in a very rushed, poor state, at a price point that honestly, rather sucks. What do they have coming next year tha should really help? The GoT spinoff might set the world on fire, but I seriously doubt it. Especially with how badly the end of GoT went and how this show won't have one familiar face. I will be forced to watch the Gossip Girl reboot, but is that in anyway a legit draw? And what DC shows do they have coming that would rival the Disney Plus shows that tie into films like the Star Wars and the Marvel shows? To me, that is a big issue here. The Disney Plus shows have this rather large advantage of being tied to those big blockbusters. With the DC shows, how many of those will apply?

There will be no Harry Potter show until the TERF wants one, and there is no indication she wants to make on. In fact ,she seems dead set against it, though maybe her acting like a bigot might make it more possible. You know, to win over some good will.

HBO Max launched in a very rushed, poor state, at a price point that honestly, rather sucks. What do they have coming next year tha should really help? The GoT spinoff might set the world on fire, but I seriously doubt it. Especially with how badly the end of GoT went and how this show won't have one familiar face. I will be forced to watch the Gossip Girl reboot, but is that in anyway a legit draw? And what DC shows do they have coming that would rival the Disney Plus shows that tie into films like the Star Wars and the Marvel shows? To me, that is a big issue here. The Disney Plus shows have this rather large advantage of being tied to those big blockbusters. With the DC shows, how many of those will apply?

Green Lantern Corps
Gotham City PD
Peacemaker

apparently all tie into the DCEU. There’s also Superhero High, but I’m not sure that’ll be a draw. But honestly HBO Max really needs a Wizarding World show, badly! Too bad they let Amazon have the Middle Earth show, Lord of the Rings could have been a huge draw.

As for Gossip Girl, seems like it’s popular amongst its target demo so maybe that’ll help a bit.

shrug

HBO Max can pull from the people that want HBO. Frankly, with it having access to TCM and Criterion and HBO stuff, its library is pretty appealing.
For big fans of film like us? Most definitely. But at it's price point, it doesn't seem to be a big draw in general.

shrug

HBO Max can pull from the people that want HBO. Frankly, with it having access to TCM and Criterion and HBO stuff, its library is pretty appealing.

oh I agree. Euphoria, Love Craft Country and Raised By Wolves are some top tier shows! HBO Max definitely has the quality, hopefully the subscribers start pouring in

At a lower price, HBO Max's content would be enough to get me to subscribe if they brought it up here. Plus it means cutting out one of the few things I've used my cable box for in favour of a cheaper alternative.

But, you know, instead it all goes on ****ing Crave, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"