Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m presuming you mean...

Warning: Potential Major spoilers For Wandavision.

The Evan Peters Quicksilver appearing in Wandavision

Yes. I expect its probably going to be plastered all over the internet in the coming weeks. Hopefully they can keep a tight lid on the biggest surprises though.

Mhh... So that means I should avoid Twitter the next 2 months? :argh:

Yes. I expect its probably going to be plastered all over the internet in the coming weeks. Hopefully they can keep a tight lid on the biggest surprises though.
If it is true, it would be essentially Marvel’s version of what DC did last year when Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen briefly went over to the CW verse to meet Grant Gustin’s Flash. It’s a shame the surprise was spoiled for some but oh well it is what it is.

While knowing Snyder's pacing especially when it comes to overlong, clunky, chaotic action sequences a tighter cut of the movie would probably be a better movie, the Snyder Cut is ultimately for his fans and doesn't really need to cater to a GA that probably won't have any interest in it to begin with. There are plenty of things I as a fan would be overjoyed to have an overlong, everything and the kitchen sink included cut of that most people wouldn't be into. Snyder ain't one of those for me, but it's clearly made for the die hards.

I did sit through a Deadpool double feature with a quick intermission. It's weird though, I can binge 4 hours of a show no problem, but 3+ hour movie?

I'm someone who will binge like a dozen hours of a TV show in a day, but when it's a movie that's not split into episodes I feel the length more. Three or four hours isn't necessarily a problem (I went through the Director's Cut of Dances with Wolves like it was nothing), but at a certain length I become less forgiving of filler material or more weary if the movie's just not good. I could see this one being a slog.

For home use, length is fine for me. The LotR extended versions are my favourite films.

I just depends on the movie for me. I've got no problem with long movies if they use their length well. I seriously doubt that'll be the case with this one, but whatever, the likelihood of me being in any kind of hurry to subject myself to 4 hours of the Snyderverse was always gonna be slim to none, regardless. This film ain't for me. I doubt most Snyder fans will have any objections to getting 4 hours of something they love.

The 4 hour Snyder Cut is the ideal solution for everyone. Fans will want it as undiluted as possible, and everyone else knows Snyder's story telling abilities are so basic that 'one big thing' will be easier for him than 'four smaller things'.

So I have watched The New Mutants a few time so now and it’s really growing on me. The movie has a nice bit of heart and I liked it introducing horror and super natural elements to the Fox-verse. Fox should have just released on it’s original date a sequel the quasi-sequel to Logan it was meant to be.

I really like the final fight with the Demon Bear which considering the budget is pretty damn good, but has a nice message behind it. And also I love the cast, kudos for the first same sex couple in a CBM. If the rumours are true and the MCU is up for keeping some Fox-verse actors, I wouldn’t object to them keeping this cast at all, but especially Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik.

I get that argument, so if you don't want to show the movie, don't play it at your theater. Simple solution to me.

And if enough movie theaters refuse to show it because they can't make money on it, this becomes a problem for the studios, too. Unless of course the studios coerce showings, in which case it just becomes a matter of movie theaters going out of business that much more.

However much you might want a 4 hour movie, unless you pay twice as much as for a normal movie, there is no getting around that it is a generally unworkable problem. Trying to shuffle the problem off to someone else doesn't work.

I did sit through a Deadpool double feature with a quick intermission. It's weird though, I can binge 4 hours of a show no problem, but 3+ hour movie?

Its probably because the real issue with a super long movie isn't the length per se, but the pacing. What leaves one tired out, bore, and/or distracted with a movie is the structure, with the dramatic beats, the highs and lows, being too lengthy and drawn out. With multiple individual episodes of story, each one has their own pacing structure, so you still drama-relaxation-climax-aftermath-etc on a more normal timescale.

( Assuming the show is good, anyway. This was my core problem with Runaways, it felt like every episode was stretched by a third, not even by adding filler content but simply by taking the same scenes and plot beats and lengthening their delivery. . . )

I'd sit through a 5 hour movie if it was entertaining. I know I won't be going in with no expectations when watching the Snyder Cut. It's definitely not for me. So it's going to be hard for me to not be overly critical.

The first live-action Barbara Gordon we’ve gotten since Dina Meyer played her in the Birds Of Prey show almost twenty years ago.

I’m surprised they went with a white woman for Barbara again. With the recent trend of Hollywood casting black folks in the roles of red headed comic book characters I was suspecting they were going to cast a black actress as Barbara this time. :o

Last edited:
I’m glad Titans will be using Babs in the wheelchair. Her role as Oracle is a tad more interesting IMO. I’m sure they’ll give us a Batgirl flashback somewhere in there.

And Dina Meyer was underrated af in the Birds of Prey tv show. That was spot on casting.
6D00AA35-B6FC-4BFE-8F07-057D66DBF50A.gif

I just depends on the movie for me. I've got no problem with long movies if they use their length well. I seriously doubt that'll be the case with this one, but whatever, the likelihood of me being in any kind of hurry to subject myself to 4 hours of the Snyderverse was always gonna be slim to none, regardless. This film ain't for me. I doubt most Snyder fans will have any objections to getting 4 hours of something they love.

I can see a few of them complaining that WB still neutered Zack and they’ll begin an Twitter campaign for the release of his true, 12-hour “vision.”

Someone rank Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of Shield, Flash, Green Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Doom Patrol & Titans.

I would think I'd love to watch Titans but that initial trailer never sit right with me. Nor did I ever hear this was a must watch.

Someone rank Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of Shield, Flash, Green Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Doom Patrol & Titans.

I would think I'd love to watch Titans but that initial trailer never sit right with me. Nor did I ever hear this was a must watch.

I mean Daredevil will always be god tier, so that’s show is the gold standard. Everything else can fall in line.

I’m not well versed in the Teen Titans mythos and I too was one of those people put off by the Titans trailer, but when you sit down and watch it it’s pretty good. They space things out randomly at times but it held my attention, binged it in a weekend.

Doom Patrol is on the to-do list next. Gotta see what the hype is about.

I’ve seen every episode of all these shows, and for me it goes:

1.) Daredevil
2.) Jessica Jones
3.) Doom Patrol
4.) The Flash (well, the first couple seasons, anyway)
5.) Agents of Shield
6.) Legends of Tomorrow
7.) Arrow
8.) Titans

Titans is legitimately trash TV, imo. A terrible interpretation of most of the lead characters AND terrible storytelling at the same time. The only things in that show I’ve found to be worthwhile have been Deathstoke and Superboy/Krypto. You can just watch their scenes on YT and you’ve seen the best of the show, imo.

1. Daredevil
2. Doom Patrol (Though could go higher the way it is going)

3. Jessica Jones

4. Legends
5. Flash

6. Arrow

7. Titans

I haven't watched enough Agents of Shield to rank it. I agree with FC on Titans. I have tried to watch it, but it is honestly a special kind of getting it all wrong. A few episodes into season 2, I just couldn't keep going. I honestly wish it had more of a sense of humor about the kind of show it is, because it would probably help a lot. A bit like Gotham's later seasons. Where it was incredibly bad, but at least a bit funny in a, "I can't believe they think this is good" kind of way.

Having watched at least bits and pieces of every one of those shows:

1. Daredevil
2. Jessica Jones
3. Legends of Tomorrow
4. Flash
5. Doom Patrol
6. Arrow
7. Agents of SHIELD
8. Titans

Daredevil and, to a lesser extent, Jessica Jones are just really great character pieces. Legends of Tomorrow, the good seasons, are some of the best stuff on television. . . but its pulled down by the first two seasons being terrible, and yet necessary. Flash I used to like, but it suffers from an even worse ratio of good-bad seasons than Legends. Doom Patrol is high quality, but has some dubious overall plotting decisions that drag it down. Arrow has some good seasons and a lot of crap. Agents of SHIELD ranges from forgettable to crap. Titans is awful from day one, and delves new depths of awful as it goes on.

As someone who isn’t hugely versed on most of the characters in Titans apart from the old cartoon, I have enjoyed both seasons quite a bit.

I know Deathstroke and Superboy most from the comics and both were done quite well in season 2.

I really don't get the love for Jessica Jones. The only good thing about it is the villain, everything else is boring. I like the actress but for some reason I'm indifferent to the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"