Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're moving full speed ahead on Batgirl, faster than usual.

x04087tub1d71.png

Wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to give her a cameo at the end of the Flash movie.

It seems odd to me that WB is committed to making a Black Superman movie. But it doesn't appear as though Sasha Calle is playing Hispanic Supergirl nor is Leslie Grace portraying Afro Latina Batgirl. They are just playing Supergirl and Batgirl, respectively.

It’s very specific to Superman, I think because they seem to feel that audiences won’t care about the character without a “hook” of some sort. This is just the latest iteration of that.

It is worth noting nobody involved in the movie has actually referred to it as "Black Superman," that's something entirely from the press and fans, even though it is sounding like it'll most likely be a black actor.

As for Sasha Calle, them casting a Latina strikes me as similar reasoning to why Abrams presumably wants a black Superman anyway; it's an instant way to differentiate it from more recent incarnations, especially since, love it or hate it, the Supergirl TV show will still be in recent memory with a much more traditional blonde and skirted take on the character. If nothing else, just going off the set pics, you certainly aren't gonna mistake this new incarnation of Supergirl for Benoist's. It's why while I'm not a big fan of Snyder's DC movies, I sympathize with the desire to do something drastically different from the Richard Donner movies.

It is worth noting nobody involved in the movie has actually referred to it as "Black Superman," that's something entirely from the press and fans, even though it is sounding like it'll most likely be a black actor.

As for Sasha Calle, them casting a Latina strikes me as similar reasoning to why Abrams presumably wants a black Superman anyway; it's an instant way to differentiate it from more recent incarnations, especially since, love it or hate it, the Supergirl TV show will still be in recent memory with a much more traditional blonde and skirted take on the character. If nothing else, just going off the set pics, you certainly aren't gonna mistake this new incarnation of Supergirl for Benoist's. It's why while I'm not a big fan of Snyder's DC movies, I sympathize with the desire to do something drastically different from the Richard Donner movies.
I dunno, I usually use some of the people around me who aren't comic book geeks as a barometer. But if Grant Gustin appeared in Flash, I'd have to tell most people I know who he was and I don't even watch the CW.

Damn it, I guess I’m going to have to watch Hawkeye after all, lol.

Bumblebee was character-driven and Hailee Steinfeld made that movie. It was so nice watching a TF movie and root for the human characters for a change. And the VFX was easy to follow.

I wish Paramount was moving forward with a direct sequel but they're all on the Beast Wars train now. *sigh*
And I think a movie can be character driven and have, to me, a more interesting story and intensity. Hailee Steinfeld can give a performance that may be seen as strong, by some, and, to me, it have those things. I actually had a harder time with Charlie after she told her mom that she didn't care about her dad dying and she was just allowed to say that and never faced consequences for it, that I remember. Give me pain in the behind characters, yelling, sexual jokes, over the top characters, I'll think it's dumb, be annoyed by it, but, I think, maybe, take the movie on it's own terms. Try to sell me on normal human drama and have a child speak, about that, that way to their parent and just get away with it, that annoyed me. I wanted the mom to slap her and/or yell at her for that. The mom never got her say, against Charlie, for that. I think that would be character reacting in a human dramatic, emotionally intense way, that I could be invested in. Otherwise, I'm not into it. I felt Charlie's story and resolution could've had more dramatically intense weight, as well.

I wasn't against the main characters before and didn't think the VFX wasn't easy to follow before.

Last edited:
Lol I'm reminded that the Joker took down the Batwing with a single pistol shot.

I'm more confident now that Bruce Campbell will play a Doctor Strange variant lol.

Is there a one armed Doctor Strange in the Multiverse?

And I think a movie can be character driven and have, to me, a more interesting story and intensity. Hailee Steinfeld can give a performance that may be seen as strong, by some, and, to me, it have those things. I actually had a harder time with Charlie after she told her mom that she didn't care about her dad dying and she was just allowed to say that and never faced consequences for it, that I remember. Give me pain in the behind characters, yelling, sexual jokes, over the top characters, I'll think it's dumb, be annoyed by it, but, I think, maybe, take the movie on it's own terms. Try to sell me on normal human drama and have a child speak, about that, that way to their parent and just get away with it, that annoyed me. I wanted the mom to slap her and/or yell at her for that. The mom never got her say, against Charlie, for that. I think that would be character reacting in a human dramatic, emotionally intense way, that I could be invested in. Otherwise, I'm not into it. I felt Charlie's story and resolution could've had more dramatically intense weight, as well.

I wasn't against the main characters before and didn't think the VFX wasn't easy to follow before.

What a strange criticism all around about everything. So weird.

So…

Another day and no No Way Home teaser?

This waiting sucks lol.

They may be a little scared to start promo and then the delta variant cause them to have to push it back.

They may be a little scared to start promo and then the delta variant cause them to have to push it back.

With how current releases are struggling at the box office, the studios are probably at least discussing what to do with the fall releases. Clearly the dream that audiences are going to return in force to theaters and these films will go right back to grossing a billion dollars again simply isn't happening.

If China shuts out Hollywood that will have major ramifications to budgets and the types of films being made. Ultimately it would likely make the trend away from theaters and towards streaming to accelerate even faster.

I know some movies make a crap ton. but how many movies make that much money from China?

If China shuts out Hollywood, I wonder what their next excuse will be for half-asses representation in a lot of films.

But even then, this should really only be an effect on some high budget action films. Marvel would take a hit, but not many other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"