Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really care if someone likes or dislikes what I enjoy. I don't see why this needs brought up everytime someone highly respected says they don't enjoy Marvel films. If they don't, whatever. It is their life. They can like whatever they want and it doesn't effect my life. Why must we constantly seek validation?

Think the issue here this time is the director who is literally making a remake is calling another set of movies “cut and paste”

The Marvel Studios origin flicks all share similar formulaic beats, as do their counterparts at the Distinguished Competition. But the follow ups - your Avengers, Winter Soldiers, Civil Wars, Ragnaroks, Infinity Wars and Endgames - are all sufficiently unique creatively that it seems silly to lump them into one big NOT CINEMA pot.

Think the issue here this time is the director who is literally making a remake is calling another set of movies “cut and paste”
but why should directors have to walk on eggshells? I mean the MCU has made an enormous amount of money, so why is it so wrong for a director to critique those movies? It's not gonna have an effect.

Last edited:
but why should directors have to walk on eggshells? I mean the MCU has made an enormous amount of money, so why is it so wrong for a director to critique those movies?

I haven’t read the article so I don’t know the details. I assumed he was asked a question? He can critique anything he wants. It falls flat since you are making a remake yourself lol

I haven’t read the article so I don’t know the details. I assumed he was asked a question? He can critique anything he wants. It falls flat since you are making a remake yourself lol
Im sure he was asked because these journalists love the type of answer he gave haha. As for Dune, I mean technically it's an adaption of a book.

Im sure he was asked because these journalists love the type of answer he gave haha. As for Dune, I mean technically it's an adaption of a book.

Oh as a journalist you did your job! So read, copy and paste lol. Pretty sure there was a Dune movie in the 80s.

isn’t the Dune cast filled with marvel movie actors lol

Neil Blomkamp used some colourful language after reading those comments on Twitter. :funny:

Personally, I don’t think he was trying to insult fans, he was just critiquing the formula.

Feige knows what he's doing by cherry picking the best of what the pre-Disney+ Marvel shows had to offer. Seeing heavy hitters like Cox's Daredevil, D'Onofrio's Kingpin, and Bernthal's Punisher again would make fans go nuts. I don't think anyone would have an issue with seeing other characters from Agents of SHIELD, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger or Jessica Henwick's Colleen Wing pop up either but I seriously doubt there's anyone out there who wants to see Loras Tyrell's Iron Fist or THAT incarnation of the Inhumans ever again.
To this day, I've never seen the Daredevil Directors Cut. I'm sure it's better than the theatrical cut but is it really that much better? I don't know if any editing room could have saved Jennifer Garner's performance in that.
Neil Blomkamp used some colourful language after reading those comments on Twitter. :funny:
LOL, I don't even think Blomkamp gives a crap about Marvel either. I think he's just jealous of Villeneuve for having the promising sci-fi career that he was supposed to have after District 9.

Dune isn't a remake. This is another adaptation of the same novel. That is entirely different.

so a copy and paste from a book? Gotcha lol

I do think David didn’t mean anything by it. Just some of the directors might take issue

so a copy and paste from a book? Gotcha lol

I do think David didn’t mean anything by it. Just some of the directors might take issue

Not really. Have you read Dune? Lynch's Dune took liberties with the source material, in particular his the weirding way works. The new version will no doubt hit some of the same beats, but would you call Man of Steel a remake of Superman: The Movie? Or course not. Remake is making a new version of the same product, ie Halloween. Dune is simply a new version of a novel previously adapted.

To this day, I've never seen the Daredevil Directors Cut. I'm sure it's better than the theatrical cut but is it really that much better? I don't know if any editing room could have saved Jennifer Garner's performance in that.

It's worse, imo. The movie works better with a shorter runtime. And the added court subplot was entirely unnecessary and revolved around a character who was both annoying and very poorly acted.

It's worse, imo. The movie works better with a shorter runtime. And the added court subplot was entirely unnecessary and revolved around a character who was both annoying and very poorly acted.
I did know about the court subplot. Wasn't Coolio in it?

Speaking of Denis Villeneuve and Marvel:

I’m sure these comments will spark a civil discourse and not lead to a overreactive backlash from MCU fans on Twitter.

Who am I kidding? :funny:

There are people still salty about Scorsese’s comments after two years.

A lot of movies copy other movies, there are hundreds of those, a company using some beats for multiple movies isn't exactly something out of the ordinary. Heck, back in 2018 I commented that Killmonger and Hela have common character traits and plot elements of ousted family member who is angry and wants to rule alien/alien powered kingdom.

Speaking of reusing notes; as a fan of the first Ant-Man movie I think it and the first Iron Man are the closest to being similar to each other:
  • Protagonist is imprisoned but escapes custody via help from a guy with glasses using a super suit.
  • Training and failing in a funny way. You know Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange don't have a lot of that (before someone reminds me of the snow mountain trial from Dr. Strange), they're both very gifted, and Captain America didn't train after getting the injection.
  • Rich guy with a goatee has a bald business partner who wants to kill him.
  • Bald business partner copies tech of rich hero and battles protagonist.
  • Bald business guy visits hero in his house before the scene of attempting to kill him.
  • Someone mad at Stark.
  • Someone mentions cheeseburgers.
  • A supporting cast member working in security profession and helping him to stop final boss. Phil Coulson for Iron Man and Jim Paxton.

If these directors are so concerned about Marvel destroying cinema, then they should have been up in arms when Michael Bay was churning one ****ty Transformers movie after another.

Eh, Bay has made bad movies, but at least Bay has a distinct vision. His movies can be horribly off putting, offensive, baffling, and sociopathic, but he's an artist in his own way. I guess it depends on what you value. I'll gladly take a Bad Boys 2 over many Marvel movies. At worst, he makes fascinating movies in a "What was this man thinking?" sort of way. This is a man who came up with that climactic building set piece in Transformers 3 while doing push ups in his high rise apartment. I just love crap like that.

I recently watched Bad Boys For Life. And while that is the best Bad Boys movie, I couldn't help but keep thinking if Bay directed it. And of course, the style of the movie is really reminiscent of Bay. If you created a house style that others follow, you are onto something. He's notorious for a reason. I can't forsee Ant Man or Captain Marvel inspiring replication in style by filmmakers.

I'm at the point where I can't tolerate "fine" movies anymore, even if they're good. Disney's quality control has created a new type of movie that is good, but is so goddamn bland that it never sticks with you. At this point in these safe, homogenized, corporate blockbuster movies, I'd welcome an insane Bay like vision just to shake things up.

“It wasn’t about the money for me bro, really. It was about the art”

To be fair, Garfield is one of this people who are authentic with this. I remember how much fun he had being Spiderman and how dirty it ends.

He even considered that the next Spiderman should be black (=Miles) or LGTB, so I buy these comments. from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"