Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say, the appeal of seeing the MCU characters meet the Fox X-Men does nothing for me. The fun of multiverse stories for me has always been the dynamics of meeting an alternate version of yourself or someone you know. Spider-Man meeting other Spider-Men. Doctor Strange meeting a different Christine. Exploring the differences and how everyone can learn from it. How can older Peter Parkers who have experienced great loss prevent a younger version of themselves from being consumed with rage? How can meeting an alternate version of Christine help Doctor Strange find closure in the love he lost? Things of that nature.

The Avengers meeting alternate versions of characters they haven't even met yet, for a one off, I could do without.

Last edited:
So, just curious to get your guys' take on this. Was watching Campea's show today and they were doing a sort of retrospective on Phase 4 and the best and worst. And the crew was unanimously gushing about Shang Chi and how it was by far the best thing to come out and he's the best new character to be introduced in the MCU and....eh, I dont get it?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Shang Chi quite a bit but i dont get the gushing love for it, especially for Simu Liu. In fact I thought Simu was the weakest part about that movie. For me, he just did not have that "pop" that RDJ did when he first played Tony or that likable charm Hemsworth had in the first Thor or Evans' or Boseman's visceral badassness when he saw him in Civil War. Simu Liu was..fine, I felt like he showed up and read his lines competently, and yes he pulled off the physicality quite well in those few hand to hand fight scenes but personality wise...was anyone wowed by him?

Dude is as crazy as the craziest fanboys. :funny:

A Secret Wars movie with characters from the MCU, Fox's X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four, Sony's Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, New Line's Blade, Lions Gate's Punisher, and Universal's Hulk??

Sign me up. Feige is my kind of crazy :D

harley-quinn-margot-robbie.gif

Gotta say, the appeal of seeing the MCU characters meet the Fox X-Men does nothing for me. The fun of multiverse stories for me has always been the dynamics of meeting an alternate version of yourself or someone you know. Spider-Man meeting other Spider-Men. Doctor Strange meeting a different Christine. Exploring the differences and how everyone can learn from it. How can older Peter Parkers who have experienced great loss prevent a younger version of themselves from being consumed with rage? How can meeting an alternate version of Christine help Doctor Strange find closure in the love he lost? Things of that nature.

The Avengers meeting alternate versions of characters they haven't even met yet, for a one off, I could do without.
For me it isn’t necessarily about the MCU characters meeting those characters (although I’ll certainly get something out of that), but just fun to see them at all after such a long time out and in unfamiliar circumstances. But the things you list are the more interesting aspects of the potential a multiverse has.

A Secret Wars movie with characters from the MCU, Fox's X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four, Sony's Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, New Line's Blade, Lions Gate's Punisher, and Universal's Hulk??

Sign me up. Feige is my kind of crazy :D

harley-quinn-margot-robbie.gif
I’ve always loved massive crossovers in comics and as a kid they seemed the least likely thing to ever translate to film. We’re certainly living in crazy times where the likes of Avengers and CW don’t feel all that crazy anymore. :D

Combining non MCU films with MCU films is less important to me than having a crazy-sized all-MCU crossover, but the nostalgia involved with all of that would make it really fun regardless. Also it worked so well in NWH that even these zany concepts are probably possible to do right, even if difficult.

So, just curious to get your guys' take on this. Was watching Campea's show today and they were doing a sort of retrospective on Phase 4 and the best and worst. And the crew was unanimously gushing about Shang Chi and how it was by far the best thing to come out and he's the best new character to be introduced in the MCU and....eh, I dont get it?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Shang Chi quite a bit but i dont get the gushing love for it, especially for Simu Liu. In fact I thought Simu was the weakest part about that movie. For me, he just did not have that "pop" that RDJ did when he first played Tony or that likable charm Hemsworth had in the first Thor or Evans' or Boseman's visceral badassness when he saw him in Civil War. Simu Liu was..fine, I felt like he showed up and read his lines competently, and yes he pulled off the physicality quite well in those few hand to hand fight scenes but personality wise...was anyone wowed by him?
I'm a little biased because of things such as Kim's Convenience, but I loved Simu in Shang-Chi. He was one of the few things really keeping my interest throughout. I think he's a great addition and a bright spot. As with every one else in that film, I wish a stronger character was built around him.

For me it isn’t necessarily about the MCU characters meeting those characters (although I’ll certainly get something out of that), but just fun to see them at all after such a long time out and in unfamiliar circumstances. But the things you list are the more interesting aspects of the potential a multiverse has.
Which I totally understand. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the appeal of just seeing the actors return and getting to do something new. I just don't personally care for any of that.

I would put him in the good category along with some of the other new characters. I’m definitely excited to see him again but I can’t put him way out in front of every other new character recently introduced. RDJ’s debut as Iron Man was instantly a different level of magic that hardly anyone is going to match.

I liked Shang-Chi just fine, but I enjoyed NWH, MoM, L&T, and WF all more than it.

I just wish there was more hand to hand combat scenes in Shang Chi. The bus and bamboo tower fights were so damn good and well shot. I would have preferred a final battle between Shang and his father like that instead of the cgi dragons but thats just me.

I just wish there was more hand to hand combat scenes in Shang Chi. The bus and bamboo tower fights were so damn good and well shot. I would have preferred a final battle between Shang and his father like that instead of the cgi dragons but thats just me.
Yeah I need to watch it again because I loved the first two acts but once Trevor shows up the movie just loses me and the final battle was just an absolute eyesore.

Wow I see No Way Home's popularity was indeed fleeting. :o

I love love love No Way Home and it was one of the best theater experiences of my life but when you put it under the microscope theres a lot of warts that stand out, especially in act I.

But with that said, it was the feel good rollercoaster ride we all needed at the end of two absolutely miserable years.

Yeah I mean I think he's ok. Not gonna lie I cared way more about Wenwu than Shang-Chi. Tony Leung just has that it factor and putting him side by side with Simu, I don't want to say exposed Simu, but yeah I definitely knew I had different vibes.

That said, I certainly want Shang-Chi treated with care and for him to not look like a chump when they do crossovers.

I haven’t seen Black Panther 2 yet, but nothing in Phase 4 has especially wowed me.

But who knows, maybe if they get Erica Bana returning in Secret Wars as Devil Hulk with dialogue specifically written by Beau Willimon it’ll hit that perfect fanboy note :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"