The Doctor Doom Thread

I'm just now worried IF he actually isn't in it, then let's look at Phase 5...what projects could he appear in that make sense? Both tv and film? Ultimately, I think they are going to drop the ball with him...I don't know if Kevin/Marvel value him the way they did Thanos or how it appears they are going to with Kang...I worry that they will just wait until F4...which then gives the audience the assumption that he can only be an F4 villain...again...it also more or less proves that Marvel will give Kang (and i like Kang but all villains and I mean ALL pale to Doom) DOOMS role in Secret Wars and honestly I have no desire to see such an epic event with another villain running the show. It can be the most well written thing in existence but if it ain't Doom, its already failed BIG time

The fear that Kang will take the place of Doom in the short-term is valid.

After all, they’re calling it Avengers Secret Wars, so it’s likely to be smaller than the comic story and an Avengers villain might fit that smaller story better than Doom.

BUT, I don’t think that’s all bad. iI don’t believe a comic-accurate Secret Wars was ever in the cards and trying to rush characters who haven’t even been introduced yet into it could do more harm than good.

And assuming this latest report is true, it doesn’t really change anything. The report indicates Doom will be pulling strings, and that’s what really matters.

Do we need to see him? I don’t think so, and I almost prefer he stay hidden away as much as possible.

We fear the unknown, and the concept of Doom as an evil, unseen presence can be more intimidating than actually seeing him.

As two examples, we all know the story of the mechanical shark in Jaws not working, but that may have actually benefitted the film. The idea of that monster lurking beneath the surface was more powerful than actually seeing it. Our imaginations can create things more frightening than reality.

As another example, my wife and I were recently watching Ozark, and I commented and my wife agreed that the cartel leader was more frightening in the early episodes before we had seen him. Once we saw him, he just became a man - not a larger-than-life character.

The latest report doesn’t indicate that Doom’s role in the MCU has been reduced. It just says that we won’t see him, and I’m fine with that and might almost prefer it.

The fear that Kang will take the place of Doom in the short-term is valid.

After all, they’re calling it Avengers Secret Wars, so it’s likely to be smaller than the comic story and an Avengers villain might fit that smaller story better than Doom.

BUT, I don’t think that’s all bad. iI don’t believe a comic-accurate Secret Wars was ever in the cards and trying to rush characters who haven’t even been introduced yet into it could do more harm than good.

And assuming this latest report is true, it doesn’t really change anything. The report indicates Doom will be pulling strings, and that’s what really matters.

Do we need to see him? I don’t think so, and I almost prefer he stay hidden away as much as possible.

We fear the unknown, and the concept of Doom as an evil, unseen presence can be more intimidating than actually seeing him.

As two examples, we all know the story of the mechanical shark in Jaws not working, but that may have actually benefitted the film. The idea of that monster lurking beneath the surface was more powerful than actually seeing it. Our imaginations can create things more frightening than reality.

As another example, my wife and I were recently watching Ozark, and I commented and my wife agreed that the cartel leader was more frightening in the early episodes before we had seen him. Once we saw him, he just became a man - not a larger-than-life character.

The latest report doesn’t indicate that Doom’s role in the MCU has been reduced. It just says that we won’t see him, and I’m fine with that and might almost prefer it.

My beef with Doom being replaced in SW is the fact that if you take away the literal biggest achievement of him in the history of the character, then anything else they do will seem like small potatoes for him the X-Men still have to be come...Galactus maybe...so there are things to come and Doom will just fade away in the background....it just doesn't feel like Doom is getting the love that he deserves...I don't want to see him relegated to just a F4 villain AGAIN...This story in BPWF was an adaptation of Priests Run and hints of Doomwar....seeing him even without dialogue would be beyond iconic....Marvel's decisions with Doom and the F4 scare me....

If he's cut then we're likely not seeing him until Fantastic Four. If they decided it didn't make sense to introduce him here, then I don't know what other film would make sense.

Really sucks.

If he's cut then we're likely not seeing him until Fantastic Four. If they decided it didn't make sense to introduce him here, then I don't know what other film would make sense.

Really sucks.

That's my concern too....and I don't want to see Doom once again as the villain in F4...yes
Establish his hatred of Richards but I wanted to see someone else as the villain. I hate to keep repeating this but outside of comic fans, the general audience only knows Doom as the guy who fought the F4 in a bunch of crappy movies. To not have him appear in WF in any capacity is just wrong considering this storyline is a loose adaption of the "Three kings storyline" that Priest did and smidgen of Doomwar...and guess what's missing???? DOOM

I suspect, prior to the FF film, they will, someway, somehow in some project, introduce the idea of Reed and Doom and link them together.

not Doom casting/news related, pre-say...

but, came across this article and thought, this could make a cool set piece to represent Latveria

I mean, most the work is already done for them, they'd have this giant set to work on, that's complete abandon (and the money they make renting out to the studio could help towards raising awareness of/ an finishing the project in the near future)

im ok with this. I mean they nailed Thanos and its looking that way with Kang too. Doom will be given the spotlight when his time comes. Latveria will be mentioned by name in BP2 and that’s enough to tide me over honestly.

Who knows? They might change their mind and include Doom as a surprise post credit scene for BP or even Ant Man 3. Its happened before

it was too soon for Doom... that movie already has enough going on, with out trying to shoehorn him in too... plus we probably wouldn't of seen him properly utilized for another year or 2, after being introduced

the rest of this phase of movies already has a main villain to center on

no need to rush things

With all due respect to people who think it's too soon for Doom, no it's not...we have waited waayyyyyyyyy too long for his arrival....frankly Doom needs to start having his hand in everything across the board, build his power base on Earth and then ultimately challenge Kang...I just don't see despite what Feige has said about Kang being the multiversal villain only cause this feels like an exact repeat with Thanos and Infinity War/End Game, that we cant also have an equally large threat elsewhere in Doom...I would assume just as Kang declares victory in Kang Dynasty, Doom swoops in and beats Kang and takes his rightful Throne in Secret Wars....I'm sorry I refuse to accept Kang or any other villain in the role of main threat in Secret Wars

Over in the BP thread, confirmation of Lake Bell in it...she is interviewed and when her character name was asked, she said I'm not allowed to say anything

Ultimately, I'm cool with this. Doom needs character development. I want a real character, not a rushed fan easter egg.

If it was up to me, Doom's rise to power in Latveria would happen in real time.

if Doom being introduced this early meant him showing in every other project between now and Secret War or FF... I'd agree it wouldn't be too soon... but my point was I don't think he would, and if introduced now, we'd still just be waiting for his official appearance... and fans would just be saying "why didn't Doom show up" in this, or that

it's not going to fast track his storyline to be introduced now... it not going to make Secret wars or FF get here any sooner

when introduced, Doom should be/deserves to be, a main over arcing villain moving forward... not a slow burn, background villain in the lurks

just saying

Last edited:
I think Fantastic Four will likely be his first proper appearance at this point

Interesting that it’s that mainstream.

Maybe the latest rumor is misdirection to downplay expectations?

Interesting that it’s that mainstream.

Maybe the latest rumor is misdirection to downplay expectations?

Well someone reminded me that the Schwarma scene for the end credit of Avengers 1 wasn't filmed/added until AFTER the World premiere...so when we went opening night, that is the first time that the scene was shown.

Further, if Lake Bell really is Lucia Von Bardas and she was part of the End scene with Doom, it only make sense that her role would be ultimately shown in its entirety...perhaps they did remove the scene only to readd it come November 10th

Maybe he comes in in the sequel then. Must be busy planning his Secret Wars lol.

Slow build is the same way to go. Show the rise of Doom, and get audiences invested in his journey

FF2 wouldn't be until after Secret Wars
Yeah I meant come in to a F4 film rather than overall MCU. Although I’d have preferred him to debut in a F4 film.

Or does this mean there’s a chance that they don’t use him for Secret Wars and give that wholly to Kang instead?

Yeah I meant come in to a F4 film rather than overall MCU. Although I’d have preferred him to debut in a F4 film.

Or does this mean there’s a chance that they don’t use him for Secret Wars and give that wholly to Kang instead?

It seems more and more to be going the Kang direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"