The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, thats a bummer.
I thought things were looking up recently...i hope things turn out well.

It sucks especially this close to the DC Fandome that so many were super excited for.
Now it leaves a bit of bittersweet taste.

Yes, not in the least surprising news, Those "comics are doing better than ever!" articles from a while back where also structured that way that it really felt like this was coming. Or if we go back from that, Dan Didio got fired some months back.

From starters, they will probably get rid of a ton of the monthly books that are printed on paper. The line will shrink a lot.

I am not a fan of people getting fired, but DC and MArvel have published too much sh*t the last few years. Maybe, maybe the quality control will be better now. Currently the only DC books I have enjoyed have been the GL related stuff from Grant Morrison. And the art of Sean Gordon Murphy, even if I thought the story wasn't great in his latest White Knight thing. Forgot about Peter Tomasi. His stuff is generally good.

On the other hand, I wonder how much money DC wiill be able to pay for talent that actually sells books?

Will Jim Lee have some new gig? I doubt they will get rid of the guy, but I have never thought of him
as a guy who runs a company, more like somebody who has talent that can be used for various designs, merchandise,videogames etc.

Interesting times.

Last edited:
Maybe streamlining is a good idea...i dont know, im pretty worried.
Trimming things down for now and look at it all from a different angle, could be good in the future.

But this all is leaving me feeling really worried and sad.

Marvel has trimmed down also. Loki got canned after five issues and now it seems they're stealth killing series like Doctor Strange, Black Cat, Ghost Rider...

We'll probably only see books that sell. For those looking into diversity and books of minor characters will have hard times ahead I think.

DC Universe Lays Off Staffers Amid WarnerMedia Restructure - Variety

The only good thing about the layoffs is that Bob Harras is no longer there.

Really, why Harras? I was under the impression that he had very little actual input with stuff. Basicly being number 2 to Dan DiDio in a "you will have to ask Dan" kind of a way. I mean yeah, he did hire some weaker talent, I guess thats a thing.

THe only one I have a "personal" problem with, not saying that I am cheering anyone getting fired is, Andy Khouri. I thought he was absolutely terrible with the Vertigo stuff, made a old favorite imprint unreadable.

Really, why Harras? I was under the impression that he had very little actual input with stuff. Basicly being number 2 to Dan DiDio in a "you will have to ask Dan" kind of a way. I mean yeah, he did hire some weaker talent, I guess thats a thing.

THe only one I have a "personal" problem with, not saying that I am cheering anyone getting fired is, Andy Khouri. I thought he was absolutely terrible with the Vertigo stuff, made a old favorite imprint unreadable.
Harras kept around Lobdell and Berganza around the offices when they're known sexual harassers.

Vertigo is not Vertigo without Karen Berger. I guess Khouri wanted to renew the imprint with those books but they just didn't feel like Vertigo books. There are titles at Image that feel more like the imprint during its glory days.

Yes, not in the least surprising news, Those "comics are doing better than ever!" articles from a while back where also structured that way that it really felt like this was coming. Or if we go back from that, Dan Didio got fired some months back.
I've seen plenty of speculation, but have we ever had any official word (or even a reliable leak) on why DiDio left the company?

Well AT&T looking at the sales figures plus the fact that Dan Didio was the one who wanted his whole "5 G" or whatever his event was called. It was apparently a event and new direction that very few people wanted.

That is at how I had it described to me. I don't have a huge amount of insiders at DC or anything. But I know a few people who have worked there and that's the story I was told.

Okay, thanks. I've seen some real hate for the guy, which I don't get. I didn't like everything he did by a long shot, but he seemed like someone who cared and who wanted to do it right, even though his decisions were often unpopular.

Harras kept around Lobdell and Berganza around the offices when they're known sexual harassers.

Vertigo is not Vertigo without Karen Berger. I guess Khouri wanted to renew the imprint with those books but they just didn't feel like Vertigo books. There are titles at Image that feel more like the imprint during its glory days.

Harras was one of those. There is a lot more to that and more people who did that. But you do do have a point there.

I don't think Khouri achieved anything special at Black Label either.

Okay, thanks. I've seen some real hate for the guy, which I don't get. I didn't like everything he did by a long shot, but he seemed like someone who cared and who wanted to do it right, even though his decisions were often unpopular.

There was a lot of people who liked the guy. I got it described (I am sure there are news articles and twitter stuff from people who have worked for the guy to give more details) that "you like the guy but he is very hard to work with". Another example , that I thought was a bit mean was "He loves and has a passion for comics, but the comics he loves and wants to make are cr*P".

Harras was one of those. There is a lot more to that and more people who did that. But you do do have a point there.

I don't think Khouri achieved anything special at Black Label either.
Mark Doyle was overseeing Black Label I think. Doesn't help that the imprint got hit with that stupid Bat-dick controversy early on.

As for DiDio, he could have been one of the early victims of the AT&T acquisition. Wasn't he the EiC at Marvel back in the 90s when they were about to go bankrupt? Maybe that part on his résumé raised a red flag to the AT&T overlords.

Mark Doyle was overseeing it, Khouri was one of the BL editors after his Vertigo stuff didn't go quite as it should. BL had good projects early on, it just got filled with half@**ed Joker and Harley products. it went from "DCs new prestige label for a older audience" to some sort of Warners thing "Joker and Harley are popular, they are in movies, make that stuff, and lots of it"

DiDio didn't work for Marvel in the 90s. It was Bob Harras who worked there. Didio produced like TV-stuff before joining DC.

If anyone is interested in one the ides that DIdio had for the "5 G" thing, or "Generation 5", it can be read about here :

DC Confirms Generations Is Cancelled, In Detective Comics #1027

If anyone is interested in one the ides that DIdio had for the "5 G" thing, or "Generation 5", it can be read about here :

DC Confirms Generations Is Cancelled, In Detective Comics #1027
Good read. I had heard of the Generations event that was planned but wasn’t clear on all of the details.

I’m wondering where that leaves the ending to Flash Forward, which was supposed to lead into these huge events. Will they ever pick up the Wally as Dr Manhattan thread?

Interesting article. It's no surprise that comics play very much a subsidiary role in revenue generation (after movies, and merchandise), but they do provide a free focus-group for WB/DC, allowing them to experiment with characters and concepts that they could bring to live-action later.

As for the number of titles being diminished, 'stick to what sells' might make business sense, but you don't want to be afraid of breaking new ground. Otherwise, we could be deprived of the next generation of (for example) Moores/Gaimans/Morrisons. These guys were a big change from standard comics storytelling - and I'm sure that editorially they were sometimes viewed as a bit of a gamble - but they paid off. New and innovative creators and properties need to be encouraged. They might be seen as a risk now, but if they land well they could end up becoming some of the most desirable (and profitable) talent on their books.

Anyhoo, I'm relieved current thinking seems to be that physical comics and (especially!) trades aren't going anywhere. Like many, I'll be watching this with interest.

I believe original graphic novels, focused on a single story, is the way to go. And of course, bring more comics to book stores and chains.

Look at the DC Zoom/Ink imprints... They bring in the younger readers into this medium without scaring them away with monthly issues that cost 4-5 dollars a piece.

Who go to comic shops? 30+ year-old folks like us with disposable income? The only times I see young kids in my comic shops are during Free Comic Book Day or when they tag along their fathers to pick up their order.

Who go to comic shops? 30+ year-old folks like us with disposable income? The only times I see young kids in my comic shops are during Free Comic Book Day or when they tag along their fathers to pick up their order.
That's true. Must have been going to Forbidden Planet in central London for 25 years, and I reckon I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen young kids in there (mind you, I tend to avoid FCBD). As you say, mostly it's 30+.

So I now wonder what are DC's plans for the future now that 5G is gone.

So I now wonder what are DC's plans for the future now that 5G is gone.
They'll go with what works: 20 or so Batman books, three Superman titles, one Wonder Woman book and a Justice League event every 4 months.

:o

Yep, those and CW tie-ins.
redface1.gif

I believe original graphic novels, focused on a single story, is the way to go. And of course, bring more comics to book stores and chains.

Look at the DC Zoom/Ink imprints... They bring in the younger readers into this medium without scaring them away with monthly issues that cost 4-5 dollars a piece.

In my case, my sons make me promise to take them to the comics shop at least twice a week. But yeah, we are the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"