The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe original graphic novels, focused on a single story, is the way to go. And of course, bring more comics to book stores and chains.

Look at the DC Zoom/Ink imprints... They bring in the younger readers into this medium without scaring them away with monthly issues that cost 4-5 dollars a piece.

Who go to comic shops? 30+ year-old folks like us with disposable income? The only times I see young kids in my comic shops are during Free Comic Book Day or when they tag along their fathers to pick up their order.

That is the comic publishers' fault for alienating new or younger readers by making superhero stories too dark and twisted and inaccessible for kids.

It's no wonder kids started turning to Shounen Jump manga instead.

Oh no wait, here's another giant status quo shattering crossover event! Never seen one of those before!

Hm, i keep wondering what I want from Comics in the overall sense.
And i realized that i have no idea to be honest.

Some part of me wants to stay in this rather timeless circle where things change but really dont, where big events happen that promise change that doesnt stick, because i want the characters to stand still so to speak, because im strangely not ready for those characters to age too much.
But then i also do want the characters to evolve, move forward and do new things....commit to growth.

I love the idea that you have a writer and artist doing their arcs of a character, then when they are done, another team comes in and tells a few of their story arcs without too much baggage from the previous team.
I love the idea that so many talented people can take the "same" base of a character and do their own thing that can be so different from each other without doing something that hurts the base.
And i love that over time this all leads to the base to do change slightly.
I mean for example in batman, the court of owls being now canon, that damian wayne is canon and writers can use this because its the basic canon that they are free to use.

So to some extent Comics despite it all, do grow, not in the sense we might see "growth", but over and over there are runs and events that add to the canon.

But is that how it is supposed to stay? I dont know.
The recent layoffs and all make me think what i want.

I dont really have a particular thing i "want"...i mean i want wonderbat to be canon for example, but thats more a specific thing that has little influence about the bigger picture of the comic book industry. XD

I mean im sitting here and thinking "what would i want to see in a flash comic, what would i want to see them do with Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, what would make me interested" and i dont really know the answer.

Maybe focusing a bit more on the younger readers would be cool, because yeah comics tend to be rather mature...its not the easiest always to get new readers into.
I would say be more diverse, but according to a clown who writes about a cyberfrog and his bigot cellar dwelling cheerleaders...that would be the end of the comic book industry.

Maybe 5G would have been the answer, i dont know.
Maybe daring more, trying new things, new team ups and so would be the answer...hard to say honestly.
The one thing i always come back is...i just want to read good stories i can enjoy over and over.

What I want in comics I usually find in Japanese manga. Organic, natural storytelling. Character development and narratives that make sense. Most stories written by a single creator with a single creative vision. It's grand.

@TheVileOne, you bring up a very interesting point. My favorite comics tend to be more accessible to younger readers. For example a story like Strange Apparitions, where it is clearly a mature story, but it doesn’t have all the gore of a raw hamburger like a lot of stories today have. We grew up on Jokers Five Way Revenge. My kids do as well, but it is hard because I don’t always feel comfortable with my kids reading all of the modern comics.
For another example: I recently read Omega Men. I absolutely loved it. It asked incredible questions about faith, politics, and what it means to be a good person. I am torn because it would make a wonderful backdrop to discuss these issues with my 11 year old who loves comics. But I’m not comfortable having him read it because there’s lots of graphic beheading and the like. And to be honest, he doesn’t want to read books that are very graphic or overly adult. He is sensitive to the fact that he feels like he’s reading something he shouldn’t be. That’s why he stopped Dark Victory when Flass was killed outside a strip club.
I just think that comics could be toned down just a small notch and it would open up a very large audience. And it wouldn’t affect storytelling. Vengeance of Bane had some of the most gruesome deaths but they weren’t shown, nor was the aftermath. You just got the reactions of the cops who stumble on the crime scene and their remarks about body parts being torn off the victims. But flash forward just a few years and Black Mirror has a splash page showing a victim of Jim Gordon Jr’s torture where his body parts are being systematically amputated while he’s still alive. Vengeance of Bane proves that you can tell the story without showing it.

I’m not necessarily advocating for the Comics Code Authority, but I feel like we have sacrificed creative storytelling since it went away, and have alienated a younger demographic as a result.

Working with kids, I see a lot of them reading comics. But it's usually all stuff produced by Graphix or can be purchased at a book fair. The library at the school carries many comics but it's usually Bone, Amulet, Guts, Drama and the like. The few superhero books they have barely get read, but every copy of Tintin are ratty and well read.

I don't think Marvel or DC does enough to gear books towards these kids who do like comics but can't get into cape books because there are none geared towards them. It's easier for them to transition into manga because they are cheap books that tell a large chunk of story, a format that they are used to already. And there are plenty that are geared towards kids.

Oh man i didnt knew they cancel Batgirl...that a bummer.
Okay i havent read it in a while, but there is always the chance to change the writing team etc.

Never got into Batman and the outsiders, justice league odyssey the same.

Sucks for Suicide Squad because i picked issues up here and there.
Didnt followed it but i ended up buying issues here and there.

Teen titans i have dropped long time ago, need to check out what the last issue was...maybe even before the new 52 but i have no idea.

Never found the time for Young Justice.

John Constantine is one i always wanted to pick up, but just never had the time...shame.

And i will be honest, i didnt knew Hawkman was there.

But dont you dare to cancel Aquaman...im super happy with it since the new 52 run...dont piss me off on that.
You took Green Arrow away already, im still angry at that.

@TheVileOne, you bring up a very interesting point. My favorite comics tend to be more accessible to younger readers. For example a story like Strange Apparitions, where it is clearly a mature story, but it doesn’t have all the gore of a raw hamburger like a lot of stories today have. We grew up on Jokers Five Way Revenge. My kids do as well, but it is hard because I don’t always feel comfortable with my kids reading all of the modern comics.
For another example: I recently read Omega Men. I absolutely loved it. It asked incredible questions about faith, politics, and what it means to be a good person. I am torn because it would make a wonderful backdrop to discuss these issues with my 11 year old who loves comics. But I’m not comfortable having him read it because there’s lots of graphic beheading and the like. And to be honest, he doesn’t want to read books that are very graphic or overly adult. He is sensitive to the fact that he feels like he’s reading something he shouldn’t be. That’s why he stopped Dark Victory when Flass was killed outside a strip club.
I just think that comics could be toned down just a small notch and it would open up a very large audience. And it wouldn’t affect storytelling. Vengeance of Bane had some of the most gruesome deaths but they weren’t shown, nor was the aftermath. You just got the reactions of the cops who stumble on the crime scene and their remarks about body parts being torn off the victims. But flash forward just a few years and Black Mirror has a splash page showing a victim of Jim Gordon Jr’s torture where his body parts are being systematically amputated while he’s still alive. Vengeance of Bane proves that you can tell the story without showing it.

I’m not necessarily advocating for the Comics Code Authority, but I feel like we have sacrificed creative storytelling since it went away, and have alienated a younger demographic as a result.

IMHO this has been an industry wide issue in the US that goes back a while. I think it's good you're taking such an interest in what your kids are reading as well.

I don't mind when certain stories have an edge or are adult, especially when the situation calls for it.

But it's also not just the stories being too dark or too adult, it's the way stories are written and approached. Too many events and too many status quo altering resets. Those aren't as accessible either.

But if you're a young reader and you want to get into comics right now, something like My Hero Academia is far more accessible these days than the top superhero brands in the US. Also, I think My Hero Academia really has something for everyone, and it does that much better writers in American comics these days.

To me it's a shame that the superhero comics of today have done far so much to alienate and put off younger readers. From my perspective, they've done nothing to correct or fix this.

Oh man i didnt knew they cancel Batgirl...that a bummer.
Okay i havent read it in a while, but there is always the chance to change the writing team etc.

Never got into Batman and the outsiders, justice league odyssey the same.

Sucks for Suicide Squad because i picked issues up here and there.
Didnt followed it but i ended up buying issues here and there.

Teen titans i have dropped long time ago, need to check out what the last issue was...maybe even before the new 52 but i have no idea.

Never found the time for Young Justice.

John Constantine is one i always wanted to pick up, but just never had the time...shame.

And i will be honest, i didnt knew Hawkman was there.

But dont you dare to cancel Aquaman...im super happy with it since the new 52 run...dont piss me off on that.
You took Green Arrow away already, im still angry at that.
Agree with you on Green Arrow and Aquaman. I really liked Batman and the Outsiders and Justice League Odyssey has a very intriguing lineup that made for great stories. It’s just that the writing wasn’t there. But I always felt like that lineup was pure gold.

I think one problem with many modern (superhero) comics is, to paraphrase Alan Moore, that they're written by emotionally stunted adults or hack writers.

Look at Death Metal. The gratuitous death of Captain Carrot! Gruesomely eeevil Superpets! Robin King grinding Alan Scott's children to dust. Not only are some of these books downright stupid and not child-friendly, but they seem to hold children in contempt. Does Scott Snyder look at his kids and think, "Wouldn't it be awesome if an evil Robin killed our pet dog by decapitating it with a sword?"

There just seems to be a lack of variety in style and voice within the modern superhero book. Writers like Tynion and Williamson are just following templates, but even in their indie work they show that they're incapable of writing anything that isn't BIG LOUD SMASH. Quiet moments are contrived, melodramatic, and vapid. There's nothing authentic about their work. At least to me.

Tom King, love him or hate him, is an exception, for the most part. The Vision was a revelation. As was Omega Men and Mister Miracle. Batman was an entertaining exercise in craft and mechanics, as well as a more personal and intimate story set in a world, as its backdrop, that is openly acknowledged as being ludicrous. The "Mature" themes in King's stories stem from their literary and mature handling of these themes. It's not gore and violence for the sake of it, disguised as "mature". Al Ewing's "Immortal Hulk" is another book that goes down this route. It's so un-Marvel and it constantly surprises me by how truly great and exploratory it is.

I'd like to see a focus on all ages comics, using Mark Waid's Flash and Daredevil runs as the benchmarks. There's really no excuse for this to not happen. But I'd like to also see more genuine mature books. It wasn't too long ago that next to Mark Waid's Flash and Alan Grant's Batman, you could also buy something like Denny O'Neal's Question, or Mike Grell's Green Arrow, or Enemy Ace: War Idyll, or Sandman, or Starman, or Sandman Mystery Theatre. That mid-80's to mid-90's DC era is probably the richest point in their history in terms of varied content for just about every one.

As it is, I'd have no problem giving a 12 year old a copy of New Frontier, or Darwyn Cooke's Spirit run. Maybe even Justice by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger. But I think it would be morally dubious to give a 12 year old Court of Owls, or Identity Crisis, or much of anything off the shelves now.

I think another problem is the definition of genre within superhero comics. Maybe embrace that a little bit more and drop the trappings of what "superhero" might mean when telling a mystery story, or an outer space story.

As it is, I'd have no problem giving a 12 year old a copy of New Frontier, or Darwyn Cooke's Spirit run. Maybe even Justice by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger. But I think it would be morally dubious to give a 12 year old Court of Owls, or Identity Crisis, or much of anything off the shelves now.
Good calls. My almost 12 year old LOVES New Frontier, Justice, and Kingdom Come. He also loves Long Halloween, All Star Superman and Superman Up in the Sky. He really wants to read Court of Owls because he has met Capullo and he loves his art but I’ve told him no way. He understands that Scott Snyder is incapable of writing anything all ages.

I don’t know that I agree that we don’t have capable writers now. As you point out, King is incredible. I would also say Tomasi is an all time great. I also think that Tynion is better than you give him credit. I love his Justice League Dark and his Batman TMNT cross overs have been terrific. But I do agree that Snyder (and I would say Bendis) are jokes.

I wouldnt put all the blame on writers or DC alone, i think we the fans are part of the problem too.
Which is only natural since we live in a time where many feel the need to be overly critical for the sake of it.
A lot of it has to do with social media and our need to push our opinions as fact i think.
Which is fine, we have opinions and things we like...would be bad if we couldnt stand behind that.

I mean i can sit all day long here and say how incompetent i find Tom Kings batman run, but in the end that is just my opinion and others find he did a great job.
So i dont know if the problem really is in the talent, but then its not a question that the state of the comic book industry has many reasons and not one specific in the first place.

Since im from Germany i cant really tell how it is with comics, but does appealing to children or younger people really make such a difference...is it really this important?
I have seen shonen mangas that were more brutal and questionable than most DC comics...maybe it has to do with society?
I mean shonen manga are primarily intended for those age 12-18...and the kind of stuff i have seen in there is really sometimes questionable.

We live in a time where people actually point at Comics and say they shouldnt have political messages and all...when they have been created often for exact that reason.
So i dont know, maybe we have lost the way in general.

I have seen shonen mangas that were more brutal and questionable than most DC comics...maybe it has to do with society?
I mean shonen manga are primarily intended for those age 12-18...and the kind of stuff i have seen in there is really sometimes questionable.

We live in a time where people actually point at Comics and say they shouldnt have political messages and all...when they have been created often for exact that reason.
I think there's definitely room for bright-coloured, hokey, 'innocent' if you like, comics, and grittier, darker, stuff. Not just for different age group readerships; I generally prefer darker, more serious comics, but some days I just want to read something completely goofy. Unfortunately, for me to do that with some of the characters that I love I'm having to resort to rereads of really old stuff more and more.

Also, manga (and anime) is weird. Some people complain about sexualisation in western comics, yet (young) Japanese schoolgirls seem to flash their underwear every chance they get! :funny:

I think one problem with many modern (superhero) comics is, to paraphrase Alan Moore, that they're written by emotionally stunted adults or hack writers.

Look at Death Metal. The gratuitous death of Captain Carrot! Gruesomely eeevil Superpets! Robin King grinding Alan Scott's children to dust. Not only are some of these books downright stupid and not child-friendly, but they seem to hold children in contempt. Does Scott Snyder look at his kids and think, "Wouldn't it be awesome if an evil Robin killed our pet dog by decapitating it with a sword?"

There just seems to be a lack of variety in style and voice within the modern superhero book. Writers like Tynion and Williamson are just following templates, but even in their indie work they show that they're incapable of writing anything that isn't BIG LOUD SMASH. Quiet moments are contrived, melodramatic, and vapid. There's nothing authentic about their work. At least to me.

Tom King, love him or hate him, is an exception, for the most part. The Vision was a revelation. As was Omega Men and Mister Miracle. Batman was an entertaining exercise in craft and mechanics, as well as a more personal and intimate story set in a world, as its backdrop, that is openly acknowledged as being ludicrous. The "Mature" themes in King's stories stem from their literary and mature handling of these themes. It's not gore and violence for the sake of it, disguised as "mature". Al Ewing's "Immortal Hulk" is another book that goes down this route. It's so un-Marvel and it constantly surprises me by how truly great and exploratory it is.

I'd like to see a focus on all ages comics, using Mark Waid's Flash and Daredevil runs as the benchmarks. There's really no excuse for this to not happen. But I'd like to also see more genuine mature books. It wasn't too long ago that next to Mark Waid's Flash and Alan Grant's Batman, you could also buy something like Denny O'Neal's Question, or Mike Grell's Green Arrow, or Enemy Ace: War Idyll, or Sandman, or Starman, or Sandman Mystery Theatre. That mid-80's to mid-90's DC era is probably the richest point in their history in terms of varied content for just about every one.

I think another problem is the definition of genre within superhero comics. Maybe embrace that a little bit more and drop the trappings of what "superhero" might mean when telling a mystery story, or an outer space story.

I was always behind on comic reading because I preferred to wait for the full story to be sold in graphic novel format, so I was usually anywhere between 9-12, sometimes 18 months behind people who purchased the monthly books. So I don't venture into the comic section of this forum much for that reason. But the recent news with DC has made me incredibly sad and worried for its future that I feel like I need to vent. Truth is, I haven't purchased a DC graphic novel in about 3 years. It wasn't really even a conscious thing, somewhere along the line the stories simply didn't become worth buying anymore. And it's reading through this post which shines a light as to why I think I moved beyond it. The stories were being written by people who don't actually like what they are working on. There's this weird thing happen across entertainment now where there are people creating stories that are trying to redefine what heroism is, or at the very least coming from the perspective that traditional heroism needs updating. And I don't understand this because it's being shown to not work. I don't understand why you would want to work on something you dislike, and more importantly, why you arrogantly think the fans are simply going to go along with your ideas.

Heroes are suppose to be better than all of us, they are suppose to be examples of the best we can be, they are not suppose to be brought down to the point where they become us. There's a time and place for those type of stories of course, but it should never come at the expense of who the characters is and what he or she represents. And if there people working in this industry don't understand that then is it any wonder the standards have dropped? What has anyone really produced from any of the major publishers that has really stood out in recent memory? We are 20 years into the new century and yet the stories and characters that people still harken back to are coming towards being 40 years old. Not only that, but it's almost impossible to get new people invested in the medium, especially kids. How is it the MCU is the biggest franchise in the world at the moment yet it's not translated into a boom for comics? I wouldn't know where to start trying to introduce people into comics. That's a sign of a sick industry even before the virus hit. Yes, me not purchasing books plays a part in what's happening with DC right now, but if I feel like the people involved are not producing good material then I can only vote with my wallet. Sorry, just needed to vent my frustrations.

Working with kids, I see a lot of them reading comics. But it's usually all stuff produced by Graphix or can be purchased at a book fair. The library at the school carries many comics but it's usually Bone, Amulet, Guts, Drama and the like. The few superhero books they have barely get read, but every copy of Tintin are ratty and well read.

I don't think Marvel or DC does enough to gear books towards these kids who do like comics but can't get into cape books because there are none geared towards them. It's easier for them to transition into manga because they are cheap books that tell a large chunk of story, a format that they are used to already. And there are plenty that are geared towards kids.

I would say part of this would be the catering toward the comic shops. There are good and welcoming comic shops, but just as many where a kid would not likely be left alone in. Luckily, my store is great, with games, and toys, and a whole section for kids books. And then, when you look at trades you can find, at say Barnes and Noble. The price is an issue. Manga is cheaper, and looks like it has more content. For an allowance, many will go for the stuff that is the best bang for their buck.

It seems like they were learning how to branch out finally. Hopefully this continues with DC.

Harleys got a new outfit for SS last run before it gets cancelled. Shame that this likely wont stick around after the book is done for because its a great look.
EfZZQMlWkAElwsU

Good calls. My almost 12 year old LOVES New Frontier, Justice, and Kingdom Come. He also loves Long Halloween, All Star Superman and Superman Up in the Sky. He really wants to read Court of Owls because he has met Capullo and he loves his art but I’ve told him no way. He understands that Scott Snyder is incapable of writing anything all ages.

I don’t know that I agree that we don’t have capable writers now. As you point out, King is incredible. I would also say Tomasi is an all time great. I also think that Tynion is better than you give him credit. I love his Justice League Dark and his Batman TMNT cross overs have been terrific. But I do agree that Snyder (and I would say Bendis) are jokes.

Totally forgot about Tomasi. I'd agree with his inclusion. I'd also throw in Ram V. He wrote the best issue of the recent Catwoman series as a fill-in (marred by inappropriate artwork by John Timms) and has subsequently been bumped to the series writer. His Justice League Dark Annual from a few months ago was also very good and I'm curious how he'll Justice League Dark once he's finally wrapped up all of Tynion's meandering plot threads.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that there are storytellers and superhero writers. Kurt Busiek is a storyteller. He can write Conan The Barbarian and Superman and there are distinct differences in the methods he goes about writing his stories. Tynion is a superhero writer. It's more formulaic, and a bit generic, good or bad. But it's all kinda the same.

I think you're doing Bendis dirty though. I know we haven't seen eye to eye on his DC work, but to put him in the same league as Snyder is just wrong. His Batman: Universe was one of the better recent Batman stories (and VERY All-Ages, I might add). His Young Justice and Naomi books have also been excellent, and very approachable for all ages.

The difference between Bendis and Snyder is that Bendis can be the annoying class clown. Snyder's the kid who discovered Cannibal Corpse and takes it seriously.

I'll say this though: I did pick up Flash 759 and absolutely loved it. I've had a real love/hate relationship with Williamson's writing on this book, but that issue was tops. If he can maintain that level of writing through the end of his run and drop that wishy-washy saccharine fluff, I think this final arc can be something special.

I wouldnt put all the blame on writers or DC alone, i think we the fans are part of the problem too.
Which is only natural since we live in a time where many feel the need to be overly critical for the sake of it.
A lot of it has to do with social media and our need to push our opinions as fact i think.
Which is fine, we have opinions and things we like...would be bad if we couldnt stand behind that.

I mean i can sit all day long here and say how incompetent i find Tom Kings batman run, but in the end that is just my opinion and others find he did a great job.
So i dont know if the problem really is in the talent, but then its not a question that the state of the comic book industry has many reasons and not one specific in the first place.

Since im from Germany i cant really tell how it is with comics, but does appealing to children or younger people really make such a difference...is it really this important?

Just picking and choosing some thoughts here, but I think you're on to something. I'll admit that I'm incredibly picky with what I read. I find most superhero comics to be generic. Love it or hate it, Tom King brought a unique approach to Batman, as he does with his other books. Tynion bought the same 'ol same 'ol. There's a certain generic "style" that permeates superhero comics that I can't really get into, and that seems to be the majority of books. Good or bad, it's all ultimately kind of forgettable. It's why, prior to the pandemic, I was reading 20-25 books a month, and after the pandemic, I cut it down to 7 or 8, give or take a few one shots and specials. After thinking about it, I kinda liked Kelly Sue DeConnick's Aquaman, but I'd be damned if I could tell you what happened last issue. Though I suppose if everyone was a Brubaker or a King or a Gaiman or Moore, there wouldn't be anything special about certain comics anymore.

I think trying to appeal to kids though is still important. But to your point, I'm 32. If I were 12 years old, would I be as critical about Tynion's writing? Probably not. But the point stands that comics once appealed to everyone. Now they don't. The trouble is, you get all these tasteless superhero comics out there with writers and publishers and editors going, "Why don't kids like comics?" I would take a million New Frontiers over 6 months of Death Metal and its myriad tie-ins any day of the week.

Price is another issue that I think those Walmart books DC did highlighted. For 5 bucks, you can get a 100 page comic with a short, original story, and 2-3 reprints of full length issues. You liked the Batman book and want to continue reading his monthly adventures? That'll be 4 bucks for 22 pages. Even with Strange Adventures: I LOVE that book, but 5 dollars an issue?

Heroes are suppose to be better than all of us, they are suppose to be examples of the best we can be, they are not suppose to be brought down to the point where they become us. There's a time and place for those type of stories of course, but it should never come at the expense of who the characters is and what he or she represents. .

Your point is an aspect of Heroes In Crisis by Tom King that I connected with. I think the story overall is pretty weak and poorly executed, but I found the idea that all anyone has to say about Wally West is that he's "Hope Restored!" while ignoring the fact that while yes, Wally was always hopeful and always found a way, Wally is also a human being.

It's also why Watchmen or Miracle Man or even Swamp Thing by Alan Moore is so great. The archetype for heroes is broken down to their core humanity and that humanity, or the abandoning of that humanity, is explored thoroughly and thoughtfully.

The trouble is, everyone else that came after looked at those works and only saw excessive violence and boundless grimness. They missed the thoughtful examinations of humanity.

So now we have comics that are BIG LOUD SMASH and full of violence, and even if the Joker starts murdering people with his face cut off, or Reverse Flash murders Barry Allen's mom, or Sue Dibney is raped and murdered (while pregnant!), it doesn't matter how much Wally West is "Hope Restored!", it doesn't matter that Wally West has a massive emotional breakdown and inadvertently killed a bunch of characters, because there's no underlying examination of the humanity of these characters as people in any kind of meaningful way.

Harleys got a new outfit for SS last run before it gets cancelled. Shame that this likely wont stick around after the book is done for because its a great look.
EfZZQMlWkAElwsU
Give her a frilly collar and I'd dub that 'New Romantic Adam Ant Harley'.

Jim Lee talks about the future of DC Comics - DC Comics News
AUGUST 15, 2020

Jim Lee is the heavy weight champion when it comes to bringing our beloved DC characters to life in our favourite books. He’s enjoyed a brilliant career at DC. Promotion after promotion he has worked is way all the up to an executive role. However, the last week hasn’t been an easy one. Warner Media has cut 20% of it’s staff including some key senior roles which sent a massive shock wave not just through the company but through the DC community.

“This week has been a really heavy difficult time not just for me, but for the entire organization,” Jim Lee tells The Hollywood Reporter via a Zoom call. “We’ve said goodbye to people that have been huge contributors and who have helped define and make DC what it is today.”

AT&T acquired Time Warner for a huge sum in 2018 and created Warner Media. Though it sounds ridiculous, off the back of the recent cuts there were a host of rumours that started to circulate suggesting DC won’t be publishing comics anymore.

“We are still in the business of publishing comics,” Jim Lee adds, saying that there is no work being halted.

Don’t worry more Batman is on the way, John Ridley who won an Oscar for penning 12 Years a Slave, is writing a Batman mini-series (“It will have a huge impact on the rest of the line,” Jim Lee says). The Milestone Comics imprint is also returning which focuses on characters that are not as mainstream.

Jim Lee talks about the future of DC Universe, comic books, breaking away from Dimond Comic Distributors and the impact Covid-19 has had.

Is DC still publishing comics?

Absolutely. One hundred percent. It is still the cornerstone of everything that we do. The need for storytelling, updating the mythology, is vital to what we do. The organization leans on us to share and establish the meaningful elements of the content that they need to use and incorporate for all their adaptations. When we think about reaching global audiences, and we see comics as helping drive that awareness and that international brand, it’s very much part of our future.

That said, we will be reducing the size of the slate. But it’s about looking at everything and looking at the bottom 20 percent, 25 percent of the line that wasn’t breaking even or was losing money. It’s about more punch for the pound, so to speak, and increasing the margins of the books that we are doing. It was about aligning the books to the franchise brand content we’ve developed and making sure that every book we put out, we put out for a reason.

You now have two interim editors-in-chiefs, Marie Javins, who headed digital strategy, and Michele Wells, who headed the YA imprint. How is that going to work?

We thought it would be a great pairing to bring them together to help draft and organize the content we’re doing along these lines. Across digital, across global, we want to make sure we have diversity and inclusivity, and making it in a way that we have authenticity to the storytelling that we’re doing.

It’s really about consolidating all of our efforts and having every editors involved in all these directives and also organizing, broadly speaking, in content that is for kids 6 to 11 and then 12 to 45. It’s about consolidating format and oversight to a smaller, more concentrated editorial group.

Do you still have the title of publisher?

Yes.

Does your job change at all?

I have more responsibilities and more expectations than ever before. In conversations with (WarnerMedia CEO) Jason Kilar and (Warner Bros. CEO) Ann Sarnoff and my boss, (Warner Bros. global brands and experiences president) Pam Lifford, they have some very ambitious goals for DC and I’m excited to be a part of that. In that respect, there is more on our plate than ever before.

I will continue to be involved as intimately with publishing as I have from the get go. Nothing has changed there. And that’s to focus on the creative content, the content strategy how many books we should be publishing, the formats.

We are bringing in a general manager to the organization. My role, the way it was envisioned 10 years ago, was that I would always have a partner that would focus on the operational side. The general manager we’re bringing in has a wealth of marketing experience, global partnership experience, general business development experience. That person will start in September.

Do the layoffs or reorganization mean that planned comics are still happening? Are the comics that would have been announced at FanDome still happening?

There is no pencils down notice. Everyone has been notified to keep working on all the projects that we’ve already greenlit and started. To that extent, there is no change.

DC in the spring broke away from Diamond as its distributor and signed with two new companies. Some people said at the time it would be a mistake. How has it fared?

Not only has it exceeded our initial expectations, but the size and strength of the business is that same level or higher than pre-COVID. There was a lot of fear mongering out there about another Heroes World type of debacle that occurred decades ago; there is nothing further from the truth. Things have transitioned very smoothly — that’s not to say there aren’t kinks that need to be worked out. UCS and Lunar, they’ve done an amazing job transitioning all the content we produce and putting it into new pipelines and getting it to retailers.

And we’ve gotten some tremendous numbers on some of recent books. We’re back to press on the Joker War storyline that has been running in Batman. Multiple printings on that. In fact, every issue since its launch has gone up in numbers and you know how hard that is. Usually when you launch, you start big and the numbers go down. But here it’s climbing issue to issue. We got our numbers for Three Jokers and the first issue sold over 300,000 copies. And that’s an $8 book. That’s a gigantic number for having new distribution.

This wasn’t about taking our distribution business and placing it the hands of two entities, it was about, “What can we do together to do things that were never contemplated before.” Things that we would love to do to grow the physical market.

One rumor I heard this week is that DC is going to only sell trades and OGNs and make a deal with Marvel for them to publish DC’s comics.

(Laughs.) There is nothing further from the truth in that. I don’t know where you would even connect those dots. Why would we ever do that?

What about the rumor that AT&T hates comics and wants to get out of the comic business?

I don’t think they want to stop us from publishing comics. Comics serve a lot of different purposes and one of them is it’s a great way to incubate ideas and creating the next great franchises. We want to continue that. Why would you want to stop that? Why would you want to stop creating great content that could be used across the greater enterprise?

What is going to happen to DC Universe?

The original content that is on DCU is migrating to HBO Max. Truthfully, that’s the best platform for that content. The amount of content you get, not just DC , but generally from WarnerMedia, is huge and it’s the best value proposition, if I’m allowed to use that marketing term. We feel that is the place for that.

In regards to the community and experience that DCU created, and all the backlist content, something like 20.000 to 25,000 different titles, and the way it connected with fans 24-7, there is always going to be a need for that. So we’re excited to transform it and we’ll have more news on what that will look like. It’s definitely not going away.

What is the future of DC Direct?

When we started, we were one of the first companies, if not the first, to go out and create a business that catered to that specialty market. That success has brought in a lot of competitors and a lot of companies that are now in that space. So it’s about evolving the model. We want to produce those collectible and serve those fans, but we will probably shift to a higher price point collectible and more of a licensing model, working with manufacturers we already work with. From a consumer point of view, there will not be a change or drop off in the quality of the work they are seeing. Behind the scenes, how we create it and how we get it to them is going to change. We still have our principal lead of DC Direct, Jim Fletcher, with the company. He will be showcased in a fun panel with J Scott Campbell at Fandome.

Where do you see DC in two years?

You’ll definitely see more international content. You’re going to see more digital content. When you talk about growing our business, both physical and digital, to me the opportunities are global. That’s what we’ll be focusing on. Sometimes that takes the form of content that we take here and translate and sell in other marketplaces, but we want to partner with creatives in various territories and unlock stories that feel authentic to their marketplaces with characters that they can embrace as their own, and look for opportunities to take those characters and seed them throughout all our mythology.

With digital, that’s more of a windowing issue, meaning we’ll go out there with digital content and the stuff that performs well in digital also performs well in print. A good example of that is Injustice, the digital comics that tied into the video game. When that came out, it was the best-selling digital comic of the year, it outsold Batman. And brought a lot of adjacent fans into our business. And when we took that content and reprinted it in physical form, we sold hundreds of thousands of units. It was as big of a hit in physical as in in digital.

We’re using that as a model as we go out and do more digital content. We’ll take the most successful books and repackage it as physical books .I think there is definitely business to be had in physical periodicals. But that said, I think there’s greater upside in digital because we can go to a more global audiences and the barrier to entry, especially in this pandemic, is lower. It’s a lot easier to get digital content into the hands of consumers that want to read stories. We want to lean into that and think thoughtfully what digital content should be, what it should look like, the format.

EfZZQMlWkAElwsU

Thats a really cool look.
I mean its not something totally new, its her old costume with a jacket...but it looks cool.
I like it.
Hoping it does stick around even after SS.

As for Comics in general:

Liking the current Wonder Woman arc.
The new Justice League arc looks promising.
Batmans grave has turned into a better story than i expected, the beginning was super bad but now its decent enough.

But what really captures me is the Joker war in Batman.
A pretty good arc and James Tynion IV and Jorge Jimenez are such a great time, like capullo and snyder with the exception that Tynion is a stronger writer.
Jimenez is sawing the throne where Greg Capullo sits as my favorite artist...he has a really good style.
Punchline turned out to be a lot more fun than expected, clown hunter is a neat idea...in general so far im super pleased with the "new" characters Tynion created.
There is a design for a new villian that will come and that one looks cool too...have forgotten his name and all, but the design is cool.

I’m also finding it fun that Joker turned Dick Grayson into his “son.” I’m hoping that that tie-in gets brought into the arc of the Batman book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"