The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m planning on picking up Rorschach #1 and Strange Adventures #6 tomorrow...must fight the urge to read @CrimsonMist’s review! Lol.

I asked my LCS to put a copy of Rorschach #1 aside for me but like Strange Adventures, I'll trade wait.

Now, for some big news... Future State has been revealed! A two-month, line-wide event starting next January.

DC Future State: A Glimpse Into The Future of the DC Universe!

dmjn3W4hSHRH5rLepUEJHR.jpg

wys48vwXu2QdyGVKAdBaQS-970-80.jpg.webp
bPogQJFkgkKoYfWoW36FTC-970-80.jpg.webp
FS_WW_Cv1.jpg

Well, if its only a two month thing...im fine with it.
Some of those designs look neat.

But why the hell is catwoman there...for the love of god, yeah i get it DC...you guys have a super ***** for her...but jesus christ there are tons of characters that actually are interesting...ah you know what, let me see what they do with her before judging.

I havent had the time for Rorschach and still havent started with Strange Adventures.
Doesnt help that its Tom King stuff, but since its not batman related...the name doesnt make me hiss. XD
Strange Adventures is something i for a while now hate that i havent found the time for, have heard a lot of good about that and from what i have seen, looks also incredible good.

Just blew that pic up, and Wonder Woman (left) definitely has a Bat insignia on her belt buckle. It actually looks like a utility belt. Is this a thing from Death Metal (still waiting to read that)?

Last edited:
any idea who the new batman is?
What's the deal with 2 Batmen? Someone please fill me in.
The new Batman is possibly Luke or another POC. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is writing the first issue.

Just blew that pic up, and Wonder Woman (left) definitely has a Bat insignia on her belt buckle. It actually looks like a utility belt. Is this a thing from Death Metal (still waiting to read that)?
She's also wearing a necklace with a green rock (kryptonite or Green Lantern ring?)

The new Batman is possibly Luke or another POC. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is writing the first issue.

She's also wearing a necklace with a green rock (kryptonite or Green Lantern ring?)
Was hoping it was going to be Gordon written better... but oh well

Sorry, I meant why are there 2 new Batmen. Are they both in the same universe? Sorry I am so out of the loop these days....

How many future of DC things is DC gonna do? None of them ever sticks and just gets retconned out by current storylines (i.e. Future's End)

How many future of DC things is DC gonna do? None of them ever sticks and just gets retconned out by current storylines (i.e. Future's End)
Future's End actually seemed interesting and I really was looking forward to seeing this war that would make Superman retire and put him and Batman at odds.

Sorry, I meant why are there 2 new Batmen. Are they both in the same universe? Sorry I am so out of the loop these days....
It's set in the future and Bruce is apparently dead. There's a new Wonder Woman, Cass and Stephanie are now Batgirls, a new Flash, Aquaman/Mera's daughter is now the "Aquawoman" of the Justice League...

FS_JL_Cv1.jpg

I'm returning to comics after everything went dark back in April and continuing on with DC. Is it safe to say that, now that Doomsday Clock is long since over, the entire Rebirth storyline (the button, Wally remembering pre-Flashpoint, etc...), none of that really matters anymore? Everyone is just carrying on like nothing happened?

So some of these books are just oversized anthology comics? I was interested in the John Ridley Batman book, mainly because of Nick Derington doing the artwork but the $7.99 price point for that, plus some other stories that don't interest me is a bit of a turn off, especially as it ships twice a month. The Swamp Thing book looks cool and sounds interesting, and I hope it leads to a new Swamp Thing ongoing, albeit a Black Label book away from the main DCU.

So right now, outside of Tom King's trilogy of books for January and February, I'm out on DC until March.

I'm returning to comics after everything went dark back in April and continuing on with DC. Is it safe to say that, now that Doomsday Clock is long since over, the entire Rebirth storyline (the button, Wally remembering pre-Flashpoint, etc...), none of that really matters anymore? Everyone is just carrying on like nothing happened?

I think much of how the DC universe moves forward come March, when the regularly published books come back, is dependent more on how Death Metal concludes. This Future State stuff is just reconfigured leftovers from Didio's time with the company to serve as a 2-Month holdover until the new creative teams are introduced.

I think much of how the DC universe moves forward come March, when the regularly published books come back, is dependent more on how Death Metal concludes. This Future State stuff is just reconfigured leftovers from Didio's time with the company to serve as a 2-Month holdover until the new creative teams are introduced.

I was sick of anything Death Metal-related before the industry shutdown. The BMWL became over-saturated and overrated and I've completely lost track of what's happening with the story since the main series ended last fall. But Doomsday Clock just kind of came and went without any real consequences, it seems.

I didn't realize until opening this thread we're in for a refresh in March. That's exciting, looking forward to hearing more about that. Feel like it's been forever since I was looking forward to new DC books, and yeah, the amount of it dominated by Dark Knights Metal and TBWL did not help my interest. Fingers crossed for some nice surprises in March.

I was sick of anything Death Metal-related before the industry shutdown. The BMWL became over-saturated and overrated and I've completely lost track of what's happening with the story since the main series ended last fall. But Doomsday Clock just kind of came and went without any real consequences, it seems.
Because of all of the delays. I am just wondering how they're going to fix Superman after all of this.

Because of all of the delays. I am just wondering how they're going to fix Superman after all of this.

Superman is a comic I've taken off of my pull list as of last night. I'm done with Bendis. I just can't anymore. I want to go back to a Superman that actually features Superman in his own book instead of little by little shifting the attention to Superboy. Not saying I dislike Superboy, but it's not what I read Superman for.

If it's true that Tynion IV is ending his Batman run as of Bats #100, then I'll likely drop that off as well. Williamson staying on Bats/Supes is enough to keep me and so far, Flash hasn't disappointed even though Williamson isn't writing it anymore.

It's set in the future and Bruce is apparently dead. There's a new Wonder Woman, Cass and Stephanie are now Batgirls, a new Flash, Aquaman/Mera's daughter is now the "Aquawoman" of the Justice League...

FS_JL_Cv1.jpg
Thanks.

I'm still not sure why there are 2 Batmen.

All the previews says Bruce Wayne is alive but people /the world think Batman is dead.

Some of those new designs are horrible. Some are ok. I am guessing a big chunk of these wont stick.

Not feeling this "event" at all. Will probably skip it.

I still dont get the feeling that Death Metal in any way influences the DC universe...it feels so much like some "outside of anything" book.
But its currently the best choice they have to fix a few of the messes they made.

I do like the idea that they do this future state while planning and building what they will do in the background with less pressure.

Good question, he needs to be fixed quite a lot.
The whole "revealing his identity" has run its course and been used incredible dumb so far.
A cool idea that only existence seems to have been for shock value to sell a new status quo.
And i hate that.
If you want to do something like that, have a clear plan(Yeah i look at you mister i kill alfred just for shock value, Tom King).

If it's true that Tynion IV is ending his Batman run as of Bats #100, then I'll likely drop that off as well. Williamson staying on Bats/Supes is enough to keep me and so far, Flash hasn't disappointed even though Williamson isn't writing it anymore.

Woah, what? Tynion is leaving? Noooooooo.
I like what he does so far, would suck if he leaves.
But every run ends sooner or later, so i enjoy it for while it will last.

As for Future State

Im kinda liking the new wonder woman and the new aquaman team.
As for the rest, i will wait and see where this goes...at the moment it looks fine enough.
Am i right when i think that in that poster, the characters on the left are the "old" ones?
They look like clark, bruce, diana to me.
Liking the Older superman design(minus the shackles) and the harley look.
The fact that wonder woman has the batman belt and one Batman has a batarang that looks like the W from Wonder Woman, makes my wonderbat shipper heart beat...but this is DC we talk about.
They will rather pair up the new WW and Superman than do anything with WW and Batman.
But anyway, Future state looks interesting enough and with it being "just" a two month event thing, it can be neat.
I find this a smarter idea than their 5G plan.

I should clarify: I'm not reading Death Metal and you couldn't pay me or give me the books dor free to do so. So I'm really just speculating based on interviews and reviews.

Doomsday Clock is a victim of its own delays, taking a full year longer than needed to conclude. In that 2 year span, DC grew impatient and allowed certain properties and ideas to return back to the DCU before Doomsday Clock concluded. Conner Kent, Bart Allen and Young Justice come back. Shazam comes back. The JSA comes back. The Legion of Superheroes return.

I dont believe for a second that the Saturn Girl in Doomsday Clock was the same as the one Bendis eventually introduced. And the ending of Doomsday Clock was subsequently forced to deal with that.

So Doomsday Clock ends with all of these characters and concepts back in, despite returning elsewhere properly in other books. And almost immediately, Flash Forward and Death Metal are announced and start tackling the lingering discrepancies.

I think alot of books got caught up in that transition. Young Justice and Legion especially seemed like they were on course to deal with the continuity shifts until Death Metal was announced and then the books just began to meander. From reviews I've, the arcs of Flash right before Finish Line also felt meandering.

I think this also has to do with DiDio leaving. It felt like once he was gone, there was creatively and collectively a sigh of relieve and a cry of "Finally!".

5G is probably why King was removed from Batman, for better or worse. But the cancelling of 5G seems to be the impetus for Death Metal trying to consolidate the last 2 years of DC shennanigans.

Also, Tynion is staying on Batman for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"