The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad Tynion is saying on then! I must've misread an earlier post in this thread so thanks for the clarification CrimsonMist.

I looked up 5G just now, as I was only vaguely familiar with the concept and I must say, I'm unimpressed. The artwork looks more cartoony than most comic book art these days and if the intent is to see how readers take to "updated and reimagined versions of their favourite superheroes", count me out. Why do comic book publishers always insist on fixing what isn't broken?

I still dont get the feeling that Death Metal in any way influences the DC universe...it feels so much like some "outside of anything" book.
But its currently the best choice they have to fix a few of the messes they made.

I do like the idea that they do this future state while planning and building what they will do in the background with less pressure.

Good question, he needs to be fixed quite a lot.
The whole "revealing his identity" has run its course and been used incredible dumb so far.
A cool idea that only existence seems to have been for shock value to sell a new status quo.
And i hate that.
If you want to do something like that, have a clear plan(Yeah i look at you mister i kill alfred just for shock value, Tom King).

Woah, what? Tynion is leaving? Noooooooo.
I like what he does so far, would suck if he leaves.
But every run ends sooner or later, so i enjoy it for while it will last.

As for Future State

Im kinda liking the new wonder woman and the new aquaman team.
As for the rest, i will wait and see where this goes...at the moment it looks fine enough.
Am i right when i think that in that poster, the characters on the left are the "old" ones?
They look like clark, bruce, diana to me.
Liking the Older superman design(minus the shackles) and the harley look.
The fact that wonder woman has the batman belt and one Batman has a batarang that looks like the W from Wonder Woman, makes my wonderbat shipper heart beat...but this is DC we talk about.
They will rather pair up the new WW and Superman than do anything with WW and Batman.
But anyway, Future state looks interesting enough and with it being "just" a two month event thing, it can be neat.
I find this a smarter idea than their 5G plan.
Agreed. For me at least when they did it with New 52 Superman there was a plan in place and there were plenty ways they could reverse it if they chose to through MM changing into Clark or Superman and Superman being either or appearing side by side. Using the cover that Superman appeared as Clark to protect him from a targeted attack. But what they have done to Superman right now is just poorly done and just hard to fix without just ignoring the entire run or OMD things or a reboot.

As far as the temporary 5g thing goes. I just don't like it. I always felt if they were to move forward with the heroes then they should've used Morrison & Johns idea and going to Titans tomorrow route with Conner, Tim & Cassie taking over the main roles. I probably would be alright with Jon taking over for Superman if Bendis had done something to make me care about him. But he hasn't. But that's only if you're looking to keep whatever continuity they have going because right now to me the DCU is starting to look like and turning more and more into the Silver Age. Which isn't bad but just before my time and something I wasn't too found of when reading the stories because of lack of continuity.

Really I have always said if DC wanted to truly do something new they should reboot using the Earth One stories as the origins for that world or another way to go is start a new ongoing series based on Earth-23 using Calvin Ellis as Superman (but not as a political figure) making the heroes & villains more diverse. Similar to the Ultimate world but not making the same mistakes. However if they do decide to reboot I once again say go the Zack Snyder route with Batman meaning make him older than the rest of guys (maybe like 36-40 years old) and have it that he started being Batman around 21 that way you can have your cake and eat it too with having all the Robins and having Nightwing around and the history could still be there if you want. And gives you a reason to have two Batman books with one dealing in the past and one dealing in the present. Wonder Woman and the JSA could have first appeared in WWI or WWII but could've been forgotten by the power of the God's or something with Diana not coming back into the light until Superman. But that's just me.

Can someone please help me identify these characters from:
VKaoj7EAdrP9s2vN2HCkzn-970-80.jpg FUTURE STATE: SWAMP THING #1

Because one of the Supermen is Kal-El/Clark Kent who leaves Earth for Warworld, another is Conner Kent who is now apart of the Suicide Squad and then you have Jon Kent as the main Superman and protector of Earth.
Thank you Calvin.

Just read Black Canary And Zatana: Bloodspell. I liked it being a self contained story. Does DC have any other good one shots like that?

I don't get it. I am so confused. So is Future State and off shoot of the main titles or is this going to replace all the main titles DC is currently running?

Why does DC have to do this? They did New 52 and it was an utter failure and so this lead to Rebirth. Which Rebirth was actually really good. If this is another New 52 thing where they making sweeping changes to DC universe then its gone end badly for DC. That's always the case. If its just added titles to what they have all ready Im game to reading them.

Ok. So the craziest thing is happening. I am reading Death Metal and I’m flipping LOVING IT! This is so much fun. I cannot believe that this is Scott Snyder, but it is him at his best. It’s not really groundbreaking or overly epic, it’s just a fun romp with lots of fan service. This is Snyder in his sweet spot. I’m really feeling it.

Ok. So the craziest thing is happening. I am reading Death Metal and I’m flipping LOVING IT! This is so much fun. I cannot believe that this is Scott Snyder, but it is him at his best. It’s not really groundbreaking or overly epic, it’s just a fun romp with lots of fan service. This is Snyder in his sweet spot. I’m really feeling it.

Good to hear!

That's encouraging!

I don't get it. I am so confused. So is Future State and off shoot of the main titles or is this going to replace all the main titles DC is currently running?

Why does DC have to do this? They did New 52 and it was an utter failure and so this lead to Rebirth. Which Rebirth was actually really good. If this is another New 52 thing where they making sweeping changes to DC universe then its gone end badly for DC. That's always the case. If its just added titles to what they have all ready Im game to reading them.

Future State is a temporary event that is just for the first 2 months of 2021, replacing the current titles. Then the main pre-existing titles will return in March and pretty much pick up where they left off.

From what I understand, Future State will not have much of an effect on the main continuity since it just reflects a possible future.

Future State is a temporary event that is just for the first 2 months of 2021, replacing the current titles. Then the main pre-existing titles will return in March and pretty much pick up where they left off.

From what I understand, Future State will not have much of an effect on the main continuity since it just reflects a possible future.
meh this is likely going to be a read once and never again lol

meh this is likely going to be a read once and never again lol

I'm getting echoes of Convergence here. I hope it's better than that.

I liked that Convergence gave us pre New 52 Supes for a while. Don't remember much else about it.

I didn't read the main Convergence book, but wound up buying something like more than half of the tie-ins. The creative teams were simply too good to pass up. That Jeff Parker/Timothy Truman Hawkman book was gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"