The Amazing Spider-Man The Lizard - How does he compare with Spidey's other onscreen adversaries?

Blame Raimi, then, for deciding to change the characterization of Osborn.

Connors and Lizard don't have duel personalities (or didn't until 2007 when I quit reading the comics). Actually, Raimi pretty much nailed the '60s/'70s Norman Osborn. It's just most fans now only know him from when they brought him back in the '90s as a Machiavellian master-villain and not the bad father, but flawed and likable man with a split personality. The first movie nailed that.

Connors and Lizard don't have duel personalities (or didn't until 2007 when I quit reading the comics). Actually, Raimi pretty much nailed the '60s/'70s Norman Osborn. It's just most fans now only know him from when they brought him back in the '90s as a Machiavellian master-villain and not the bad father, but flawed and likable man with a split personality. The first movie nailed that.
Umm... not even a little bit. The Lizard has always been an alter ego from his first appearance. And Norman Osborn after his accident is insane and evil. He just gets amnesia every now and then and loses that side of him. But he's never been a split personality. If anything, Harry Osborn in SM3 was the best portrayal of 60s/70s Norman Osborn.

Interesting question from the OP.

I thought Conners reminded me of Norman Osborn when he started flipping out, hearing voices or what not. And his relationship with Peter reminded me of Otto Octavius.

I thought the actor playing Conners was fine. The Lizard design worked well enough. And the Lizard's motivation was simple. I think the film left him a bit murky in terms of how much he knew, or participated in the disappearance of Peter's parents. I also wish more had been done to flesh out his relationship with Peter before he became the Lizard.

I think the lack of having Curt's wife and son, like in the comics and cartoons, let him less of a tragic figure. I also think no mention of his veteran past also made him less tragic and possibly less sympathetic.

Overall I thought the character was about on par with Doc Ock. My favorite Spidey villain remains Green Goblin.

Rankings:
1. Green Goblin I
2. Doc Ock
3. Lizard
4. Green Goblin II
5. Sandman
6. Venom

Blame Raimi, then, for deciding to change the characterization of Osborn.

It's not Raimi's fault since Norman was shown though the comics having a dual personality that he'd end up not remembering being The Green Goblin in the beginning .

The Lizard just wasn't done right plain and simple both in Characterization and visually . He looked good in some scenes and in others not so much also the labcoat should've remained on.

Its not like Raimi's film was the first interpretation of Norman being split identity.

The 80's/90's cartoon both had Green Goblin like that.

The First Official (profile view) Pic Of The Lizard:

labcoat.jpg

had to wait a long while for this....

See the lab coat should've remained on, he looks better with it than without it.

See the lab coat should've remained on, he looks better with it than without it.

def looks more like a tragic character with it on, also brings great visual deversity. There's a reason why there's no comic version without the lab coat

It makes no sense for it to stay on for a long period of time.

I think it looks awesome with it on him too, but just saying, how ravage the Lizard is, it wouldn't make sense for a lab coat like that to be able to stay on him.

Personally I really liked Connors... Lizard.... Not so much. Mainly because to me his eyes show too much vaunerability and I already felt for Connors and I personally thought he could've looked more menacing overall I thought he was okay.

1. Doc Ock
2. GG
3. New Goblin
4. Lizard
5. Venom
6. Sandman

I haven't seen TASM yet, but it's good to see Molina's brilliant Doc Ock is still topping so many people's lists.

Yeah, the main thing they screwed up was his face and the fact that they used no practical effects for The Lizard whatsoever. If they wanted his face to appear more humanoid (as it was), they could've achieved a practical make-up effect in his close-up scenes with dialogue. That would've been much more effective than the completely cartoonish lizard we got during the whole film.

A practical Lizard would looked horrible. I'm sorry, but there is no getting around a guy in a lizard suit type deal.

They went for more of a first appearance look with lizard and im good with it.

A practical Lizard would looked horrible. I'm sorry, but there is no getting around a guy in a lizard suit type deal.

They went for more of a first appearance look with lizard and im good with it.

In small doses, it could've worked. I'm even think of things like when the Lizard rips through Ratha's car. Why not craft a real/animatronic arm to punch through and reach for him? Instead, we got a crappy cartoonish claw punching through.

I think, overall, the Connors/The Lizard.

BUT, if Doc Ock was just bad and not portrayed as a family man/good guy gone mental, I would have gone with Ock.

When Ock is bad though, he tops it. Molina was just superb in as bad ock... 'Oops, butter fingers'

Umm... not even a little bit. The Lizard has always been an alter ego from his first appearance. And Norman Osborn after his accident is insane and evil. He just gets amnesia every now and then and loses that side of him. But he's never been a split personality. If anything, Harry Osborn in SM3 was the best portrayal of 60s/70s Norman Osborn.

What are you talking about? Norman Osborn and Green Goblin in the '60s and '70s are split characters and not until near GG's death did he realize he was Norman Osborn. Even then, his two personalities would struggle for dominance like SM1.

The Lizard is an entirely separate personality from Curt Connors and is not one he is constantly having to keep buried like Norman Osborn. And once he turned into Lizard, he couldn't turn back into Connors like Osborn could or like Connors did in TASM. In fact, TASM takes a much bigger departure considering Lizard turns back into Connors who then still plans to turn everyone into lizards and plans the murder of Peter Parker when he injects himself. Nevermind the absence of Billy and Martha Connors.

SM1 did GG's personality much more faithfully than TASM did Lizard's. :o

Yes he does. Reminds you a man's under there and can't control what he's doing. Kind of like the 1940s wolfman design. Without the coat, he looks like a generic green monster.

Then again, since they made Connors much less sympathetic than he is in the comics, maybe they did not care about the coat humanizing the character.

Doc Ock
Goblin, Lizard, and Sandman are pretty much even.
New Goblin
Venom

What are you talking about? Norman Osborn and Green Goblin in the '60s and '70s are split characters and not until near GG's death did he realize he was Norman Osborn. Even then, his two personalities would struggle for dominance like SM1.

The Lizard is an entirely separate personality from Curt Connors and is not one he is constantly having to keep buried like Norman Osborn. And once he turned into Lizard, he couldn't turn back into Connors like Osborn could or like Connors did in TASM. In fact, TASM takes a much bigger departure considering Lizard turns back into Connors who then still plans to turn everyone into lizards and plans the murder of Peter Parker when he injects himself. Nevermind the absence of Billy and Martha Connors.

After Connors injects himself, he's the Lizard. It's the Lizard who planned the murder of Peter parker, not Connors. Same with the "turning everyone into lizards" plan.

Norman and the Goblin are one and the same. After Osborn was exposed to the Goblin serum, he went insane. He did not develop a split personality. The Goblin serum removed all of Osborn’s inhibitions of his civilian identity, so his villainy is a conscious choice. His bits of amnesia are what lead readers to think he has two different personalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"