God of War The Official God of War Thread - Part 2

As much as I love Kratos, it could be some terrific storytelling if this was leading to his last hurrah. Killed by Odin in the end, giving Atreus/Loki strong cause to fulfil Ragnarok and wage war on Odin for the final chapter (then become the new protagonist moving forwards).

Anyone else super disappointed we didn't see anything GoW related at State of Play?

I am but I am sure Sony will have a 20 minute showcase planned whenever they are ready to show it off. We got showcases for all the other first party Sony games so I wouldn’t be surprised if they do that for gow also

Honestly if this game is supposed to come out in September, we would have gotten a release date by now, as release dates for Aaa games if I'm not mistaken, are announced at least 4 months especially for those pricey special editions. Maybe they'd announce a date neXt month or this month, but September is literally more or less 15 weeks away.

Honestly if this game is supposed to come out in September, we would have gotten a release date by now, as release dates for Aaa games if I'm not mistaken, are announced at least 4 months especially for those pricey special editions. Maybe they'd announce a date neXt month or this month, but September is literally more or less 15 weeks away.
Absolutely agree. I have doubts we get the game in September.

Horizon Forbidden West started pre orders in September 2021 for a February release.

Who knows if pre-orders for Ragnarök are available by September, and the game is out in February?

Yeah this game isn't getting released in September I doubt even this year the way things are going.

As much as I love Kratos, it could be some terrific storytelling if this was leading to his last hurrah. Killed by Odin in the end, giving Atreus/Loki strong cause to fulfil Ragnarok and wage war on Odin for the final chapter (then become the new protagonist moving forwards).
Sounds like a good plan to set up the future if they are offing Kratos.

I think he's surviving this one for at least one more adventure in this style with this kind of gameplay. It may be the last game in norse mythology, but there might be more using the current engine.

Aren't they eXploring another mythology after this one? I don't think they would leave Kratos off the series.

Well we know Thor is the big bad in this entry (at least as far as they've told us). I'd assume Odin would be the major enemy of any final Norse God of War game?

I've also wondered ever since the Loki reveal, how it will figure into things that Loki becomes seen as one of the Aesir, as a trickster brother of Thor and adopted son of Odin?

A theory I had at one time or another would be, Kratos dying in this game, and Loki somehow being taken is as an "Adopted son" of the gods (I.e. held prisoner etc). So the final story would be Atreus/Loki just getting revenge on all the gods?

But if this 2nd game is already potentially "Ragnarok" then maybe all that would happen in the one game? Who knows?

The other popular theory for a while has been that Kratos IS Tyr, given they're both Gods of War, and Tyr was said to have traveled through time and to many other cultures and mythologies. So another thing I could see is it LOOKING like Kratos has died but perhaps been sent back in time or something.

There's already some weird time travel stuff in the first GoW, since we know in mythology the World Serpent is Loki's son but Atreus is still a teenager.

TBH seeing how they continue to weave all this mythology in with the the momentum of their storytelling is the thing that has me most excited. I loved that Loki reveal more than anything else in GoW, so very invested in what that is building to. But I think I would be disappointed if, in the very least, it didn't lead to a dual protagonist situation in this or future games (Or at least a Loki spin off). Would love to see adult Loki/Atreus fighting the gods.

As someone who has yet to own a Ps5, I only have 4 ps5 games in my wish list that have been released.

Last year, I thought 2022 would be filled with a lot of big games and so far Forbidden West is the only released2022 game so far that I want to play (when I get a ps5). It doesn't feel like I'm missing a lot right as a lot of the "upcoming 2022" games (in my wish list) don't even a release date.

Not surprised if Ragnarök is delayed to 2023. Sony has been too quiet with that game.

I have plenty of PS5 games to enjoy. Horizon Forbidden West, Deathloop, Guardians of the Galaxy, Control Ultimate Edition, Miles Morales. I just got Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart today.

Granted, not all are PS5 exclusives but they all are worthwhile games for the PS5. That doesn't include stuff like Elden Ring I have less interest in.

If Ragnorok isn't ready yet, that's fine. I'd rather they wait than Cyberpunk it.

Given how hard it is to this day to avail Ps5, the game library could have been more eXciting.

like if I got a ps5 last year, I would have played horizon II, Miles, Guardians and Village (and the free Astro game) for it, and I would be waiting months right now for the neXt big game. Some games like GTA trilogy, Hitman 3 and Mass effect trilogy would have been installed for the ps4 as I don't want to abandon it yet.

Well we know Thor is the big bad in this entry (at least as far as they've told us). I'd assume Odin would be the major enemy of any final Norse God of War game?

I've also wondered ever since the Loki reveal, how it will figure into things that Loki becomes seen as one of the Aesir, as a trickster brother of Thor and adopted son of Odin?

A theory I had at one time or another would be, Kratos dying in this game, and Loki somehow being taken is as an "Adopted son" of the gods (I.e. held prisoner etc). So the final story would be Atreus/Loki just getting revenge on all the gods?

But if this 2nd game is already potentially "Ragnarok" then maybe all that would happen in the one game? Who knows?

The other popular theory for a while has been that Kratos IS Tyr, given they're both Gods of War, and Tyr was said to have traveled through time and to many other cultures and mythologies. So another thing I could see is it LOOKING like Kratos has died but perhaps been sent back in time or something.

There's already some weird time travel stuff in the first GoW, since we know in mythology the World Serpent is Loki's son but Atreus is still a teenager.

TBH seeing how they continue to weave all this mythology in with the the momentum of their storytelling is the thing that has me most excited. I loved that Loki reveal more than anything else in GoW, so very invested in what that is building to. But I think I would be disappointed if, in the very least, it didn't lead to a dual protagonist situation in this or future games (Or at least a Loki spin off). Would love to see adult Loki/Atreus fighting the gods.

There isnt going to be a third Norse game. Cory said it takes too long to make these games and he doesnt want to spend 15 years on one mythology, and he doesnt want to make the players wait 15 years for the end.

“We’re talking like a span of close to 15 years of a single story, and I feel like that’s too stretched out.”

Along with that, he also mentioned that it will also take up a lot of time to do another one of these games. God of War took around 5 years to develop before it arrived for the PlayStation 4 in April 2018. Other than that, Barlog believes that God of War Ragnarok would also require a similar time frame to develop for the PlayStation 5. So, if they do go for a third title, it would mean that this one story would have taken 15 years to make, which they felt was too long.

“I feel like we are asking too much to say the actual completion of that story taking that long just feels too long.”

“Too Stretched Out”- God of War Director Explains Why There Won’t Be a Third Game in the Norse Mythology Series

So we can expect Odin to be the big bad in this game or not at all. I expect Thor to show up early and be dealt with by the middle of the game. Like Thor's sons.

There isnt going to be a third Norse game. Cory said it takes too long to make these games and he doesnt want to spend 15 years on one mythology, and he doesnt want to make the players wait 15 years for the end.

“Too Stretched Out”- God of War Director Explains Why There Won’t Be a Third Game in the Norse Mythology Series

So we can expect Odin to be the big bad in this game or not at all. I expect Thor to show up early and be dealt with by the middle of the game. Like Thor's sons.
If that was going to be the case I would rather Thor showed up in the first game and played more of a part overall.

I can see what he's getting at here but as long as they are putting out material as fast as they can, I see it as neutral between covering more great mythologies but in less depth and with less payoff or less mythologies in more epic fashion. Just sucks how long it takes nowadays to make these great games with so many moving parts. Especially as I get older and think 15 years would take me close to 60 and then there's probably only another 15 or so left (assuming I'm otherwise healthy).

I can see the game opening up with Thor vs Kratos that would be a good way to hook players back in to that world. I mean the first one did end with that tease and for the game t to open with them fighting would be epic. The rest of the game could deal with Odin and Freya trying to kill Kratos/Atreus as well as dealing with Tyr

I’ll play it safe and expect early 2023.

If that was going to be the case I would rather Thor showed up in the first game and played more of a part overall.

I can see what he's getting at here but as long as they are putting out material as fast as they can, I see it as neutral between covering more great mythologies but in less depth and with less payoff or less mythologies in more epic fashion. Just sucks how long it takes nowadays to make these great games with so many moving parts. Especially as I get older and think 15 years would take me close to 60 and then there's probably only another 15 or so left (assuming I'm otherwise healthy).

Considering @Marvolo's point, in hindsight I can totally see Thor being a red herring main bad guy, leading to an Odin confrontation. Can even see Thor getting killed, and Odin getting involved.

If this is the last one in the Norse series, would love some crazy narrative curveball. One thing I'm really, really curious about, is given this series has all been about subverting real Norse Mythology (specifically, showing us the truth behind what people have perceived throughout history, e.g. Thor is a bully not a hero etc). I'm really curious how they're going to subvert the misconception that Loki is an adopted son of Odin and half brother of Thor.

It makes me think we might see Atreus kidnapped by Odin or held hostage against his will, or something like that. But really curious to see how it's addressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"