The Official PS4 Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things should be able to run offline long term as a safeguard. You shouldn't even have to set up to start playing without a profile, just for fun.

Why is the network so insecure? This is like the second major outage this month.

Nobody ever thinks they'll get it.

I thought Sony would have seriously beefed things up after the 2011? attack.

You would think, but these outages are happening with alarming regularity. I know there is no such thing as perfect security. However, it's still insane how much it's happening.

I dont like how i cant Play demos on ps4 is the network is down

From what I understand, DDoS attacks aren't something that can really be defended against and you don't even need to be a good hacker to do them either.

I don't know what type of measures they can take to be more prepared for them but hell, they even took XBL down too for Christmas. Assh**es.

From what I understand the attack has stopped, but they haven't gotten things back up and running. There is also a huge spike due to the season. Lots of people got PS4's and games for Christmas, and a lot of people are trying to play since they have time off.

Recipe for disaster.

Like me. :csad:

I also got The Last of Us Remastered, which doesn't require the network to play, so at least I had that.

I was able to play some games offline. fortunately, I had already created a character in Dragon Age Inquisition, so I didn't need to be online to play that.

however, I really wanted to start a new character to try a new route. but, I couldn't because I wouldn't have been able to upload my DAI Keep save since you need to be logged in to PSN to connect with the DA server.

and that's the part that's inconvenient. when you have components like the Keep that need to be "synced" to your online account to work.

when you're offline, you can't access them.

You would think, but these outages are happening with alarming regularity. I know there is no such thing as perfect security. However, it's still insane how much it's happening.
It can't continue long term. I can always play on 360 offline if I need to but it must be ridiculous for those gamers who only play online multiplayer. Imagine you book time off work for when a game like CoD comes out and you can't play at all! (I did it for Gears of War)

And it would be seriously annoying for any co-op/MP session that involved a lot of people. Hard enough to arrange as they are.
From what I understand, DDoS attacks aren't something that can really be defended against and you don't even need to be a good hacker to do them either.

I don't know what type of measures they can take to be more prepared for them but hell, they even took XBL down too for Christmas. Assh**es.
So does that mean these things will just keep happening? What's to stop someone doing it every day if it can't be guarded against? Sounds crazy!

Yup. DDOS attacks like this really have nothing to do with a company's security. DDOS attacks are basically faking an extremely high volume of traffic to a server, so much so that the server gets overloaded and connections can't be made. There really is nothing that can be done to prevent them at this point. They're extemely easy to pull off and require little to no actual hacking skill.

It really pisses me off because the punk kids who are doing this claim it's because the gaming companies are "just in it for the money"; completely ignoring the fact that they're just hurting the gamers who have payed to play.

IMHO saying you can't defend against these things is not a good enough excuse.

It's a good excuse if they want to stop making online game consoles. Not so good otherwise.

Basically they're trolling the network by bottlenecking the traffic. I can see how someone like a 15 year old kid would know how to do that.

IMHO saying you can't defend against these things is not a good enough excuse.
But you can't stop it. That doesn't mean they're not trying. Every server for every company/website is susceptible to DDOS attacks. It has nothing to do with the quality of a system's security. If you have a system that allows visitors to log into/visit, you can get attacked. Period.

But you can't stop it. That doesn't mean they're not trying. Every server for every company/website is susceptible to DDOS attacks. It has nothing to do with the quality of a system's security. If you have a system that allows visitors to log into/visit, you can get attacked. Period.
On Black Friday the UK website for Currys just limited the number of total users. Everyone else was placed in a queue to access the website. You didn't have to do anything while you waited (could leave the pc), there was an approximate time counter and once you were in you could stay as long as you wanted (till you closed the browser window) so it was very convenient. PSN & XBL know their total number of users so they should be prepared for all of those people to play at once and maybe they could set that as a maximum. No need to entertain significantly more access attempts than their total number of users. (I'm just thinking out loud, not that I know exactly how all this works)

If it really can't be defended against it opens up the potential for winning the console war (and probably many other business wars) by dirty means. If it's easy to do and not possible to defend againt what's to stop the hackers attacking every day and PSN & XBL being finished?

Yet the attacks continue to happen. IMHO that means there has to be something they can do.

Let's not forget the massive cyber intrusion in 2011 where users private information got exposed. The UK government fined Sony a penalty for that.

Yet the attacks continue to happen. IMHO that means there has to be something they can do.

Let's not forget the massive cyber intrusion in 2011 where users private information got exposed. The UK government fined Sony a penalty for that.

That was a hack into the system. This isnt. Big difference.

I wonder if theres some way to sense if the servers are being overloaded by a source and to immediately shut down that connection if there's suspicious activity. Probably not as I imagine it would already have been done

Let us know. It worked alright for my PS3, but still some hiccups with 4.

That was a hack into the system. This isnt. Big difference.

I wonder if theres some way to sense if the servers are being overloaded by a source and to immediately shut down that connection if there's suspicious activity. Probably not as I imagine it would already have been done
For hacks on internet site DDOS attacks I think it's hackers controlling a massive (hacked) network of individual computers and geting htem all to acces the site at the same time so it wouldn't be one identifiable source. Dont' know how they do it for a system like XBL/PSN though.

They need to compensate in someway. This is too frequent with Sony. I have problems with both Xbox Live and PSN, but PSN feels so unreliable in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"