Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting list of what the Siegel and Shuster familes "own":

- Running faster than a locomotive
- Leaping tall buildings at a single bound
- Ability to repel bullets
- The "blue leotard"
- A reporter co-worker/potential romantic interest named "Lois"

So maybe...Lois is just a friend, maybe they aren't reporters? The costume is further detailed as a blue leotard with a cape and red trunks and a yellow belt...so all of that matches up with the redesign. And finally, super-speed (run faster than a locomotive) and invulnerability...maybe the new costume looks like armor because it IS armor, because this new litigated version of Superman NEEDS armor.

I really don't have a good feeling about this Superman relaunch. The only thing about the Superman comics that I am optimistic about is the fact that Morrison is going to be writing it

So that should be pretty neat at least. Morrison writes a great Superman

I think there's nothing spiffy about them. Seams make me cry. :csad:

Seams are even worse than pants :csad:

Anubis said:
Razor sharp talons and testicles don't mix.

You know you would love it :ninja:

Interesting list of what the Siegel and Shuster familes "own":

- Running faster than a locomotive
- Leaping tall buildings at a single bound
- Ability to repel bullets
- The "blue leotard"
- A reporter co-worker/potential romantic interest named "Lois"

So maybe...Lois is just a friend, maybe they aren't reporters? The costume is further detailed as a blue leotard with a cape and red trunks and a yellow belt...so all of that matches up with the redesign. And finally, super-speed (run faster than a locomotive) and invulnerability...maybe the new costume looks like armor because it IS armor, because this new litigated version of Superman NEEDS armor.

if they are making all of these changes because of the lawsuit........that is stupid beyond belief..........:doh:

if they are making all of these changes because of the lawsuit........that is stupid beyond belief..........:doh:

A lot more of what they do in comics is directed by this sort of stuff than people think, and it's always been this way. Cap's round shield, for example, came into being because MLJ sued Timely over Cap saying he was a rip-off of The Shield, and changing from the first to the second shield was the compromise. Legalities basically destroyed Captain Marvel in the early 50's as well and the character will most likely never recover. The same could easily be happening now with Superman. DC has already made him their #2 character to the rights-and-costs controlled Batman over the last 25 years, and now they are basically hanging onto what they have left just like they do with the Marvel Family, the Quality Comics characters, Wonder Woman, etc.

A lot more of what they do in comics is directed by this sort of stuff than people think, and it's always been this way. Cap's round shield, for example, came into being because MLJ sued Timely over Cap saying he was a rip-off of The Shield, and changing from the first to the second shield was the compromise. Legalities basically destroyed Captain Marvel in the early 50's as well and the character will most likely never recover. The same could easily be happening now with Superman. DC has already made him their #2 character to the rights-and-costs controlled Batman over the last 25 years, and now they are basically hanging onto what they have left just like they do with the Marvel Family, the Quality Comics characters, Wonder Woman, etc.
Yeah...the thing about that is, everyone thought they were doing that exact same thing like 5 years ago when that lawsuit was particularly flaring up...and it ended up being absolutely nothing like that.

So yeah, until I actually read an in continuity Superman who's totally different from the current version...I'm not going to believe it's going to happen.

wow! didn't know any of that.

and it sucks that Supes is DC's #2 character. :(

Yeah...the thing about that is, everyone thought they were doing that exact same thing like 5 years ago when that lawsuit was particularly flaring up...and it ended up being absolutely nothing like that.

So yeah, until I actually read an in continuity Superman who's totally different from the current version...I'm not going to believe it's going to happen.

Yeah, I agree really. I keep seeing this flame being flamed, but really, we don't know that much about it. It seems it's not even all that clear what's potentially even owned by the heirs (I've seen so many different reports about what it is), and copyright is usually not so black and white, from my understanding. I think speculation on it is fairly null until this lawsuit comes to a head and we see what the fallout, or lack of fallout, really is.

Well, it has been five years so maybe DC has decided they can't completely win. But you are right, none of this is completely unknown until the book comes out....except the new costume DOES go around what the heirs are said to own: no trunks, no yellow belt, some other sort of material than just blue cloth/leotard.

What do you think of this new costume they have given him Kurosawa

I think it's funny how Lois doesn't seem to care that they're being attacked.

What do you think of this new costume they have given him Kurosawa

Well, I can't stand it but I've given completely up on Superman at this point. If the lawsuit is settled and someone with a clue like Waid or Maggin is made the editor, then I'd give it a look. I know Grant will do his best with the Action title, but the renumbering and the new costume, etc, all makes me pretty sad. So I am sort of depressed, curious and ambivalent about it all at once.

Basically I feel that comics in general and Superman comics in particular are a lost cause and a dead art form. They've strayed so far from what they were created to be that I don't see a recovery for them. I also feel the same way about rock and pop music. Only films do I consider to be as good as they ever were; that alone probably proves that they are the best medium and art form of the major American pop culture creations (movies, rock music and comics).

Well, Superhero comics.

There's far more to comics than guys and gals in tights punching people.

Yeah, what 'Nubs said. I mean, really, I can maybe understand that feeling about superhero comics, but the entire medium is a dead art form? No way. That's just....no way. I'd even go as far as to say the idea of a dead art form is kind of a bogus one.

And, man, I love film with a capital L and V, even wanted to be a filmmaker when I was younger, but I generally think they're probably the most restricting medium there is.

Well, yeah by comics I mean completely mainstream big two superhero comics. There is a lot besides that to offer, although the cost is still very restrictive.

I think film stands up better because it's harder to fake and a lack of talent is harder to hide.

So I might've missed this, but is Roberson officially off Superman for the rest of the run? The website shows him writing all of the rest, but one website said it might be Kurt Busiek writing the new Krypto issue tomorrow. Also, he mentioned on his Twitter which issues everyone should be buying, and Superman's suspiciously missing.

Yep even though some comic books are utterly terrible there are still a lot of great artists and writers doing some really good work I think. Both in superhero comic books and other kinds like the DC Vertigo comics and independent comics too

I think it's funny how Lois doesn't seem to care that they're being attacked.

She's getting revenge for all the times Superman was a **** to her

She's getting revenge for all the times Superman was a **** to her

Or maybe after all the times that she's been attacked or kidnapped, she just doesn't care anymore. Having your life endangered week after week gets dull and repetitive. But still; I can't help but chuckle a little when I look at that image, she looks so chilled out compared to Superman.

Last edited:
Or maybe after all the times that she's been attacked or kidnapped, she just doesn't care anymore. Having your life endangered week after week gets dull and repetitive. But still; I can't help but chuckle a little when I look at that image, she looks so chilled out compared to Superman.

Indeed :hehe:

I can just imagine her saying to Superman 'its just a few supervillains Clark get a hold of yourself'

Was it Islamophobia or kittenophobia that killed Superman 712?

Whatever it was pretty ******* move on DC's part to just **** all over Roberson's story.

Wow, really? They are really trying to say this came about because Superman saving a kitten doesn't jive with their conception of Superman? Superman hates kittens? Man, wow, that must have been some seriously last minute PR spin there. I'm not going to call or imply that it's any kind of racism since I don't know the situation, but does anyone really believe a scene of saving a kitten is enough to shelve an entire issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"