The Official Superman Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, really? They are really trying to say this came about because Superman saving a kitten doesn't jive with their conception of Superman? Superman hates kittens? Man, wow, that must have been some seriously last minute PR spin there. I'm not going to call or imply that it's any kind of racism since I don't know the situation, but does anyone really believe a scene of saving a kitten is enough to shelve an entire issue?

DC has a strong anti-cat policy

rise-arsenal-cat.jpg

Apparently. I just...don't know. I guess I can't really talk without seeing this scene, but...yeah, I don't know.

I think at this point in time DC just doesn't want any extra bad or controversial press. They're at a fragile point where no one running the company wants to see: "Superman Destroying the Fabric of America...AGAIN!" plastered over the internet and a major news station. Look at what happened with Nightrunner or Goyer's story. It's less of a decision based on religion and more to do with business.

Hopefully it's not Superman isn't badazz enough...

DC has a strong anti-cat policy

rise-arsenal-cat.jpg

I had almost managd to forget that picture

No I am deluding myself i can never forget that picture :dry:

And Rise of Arsenal actually won an award

Tron Bonne said:
Wow, really? They are really trying to say this came about because Superman saving a kitten doesn't jive with their conception of Superman? Superman hates kittens?

Now I'm worried about why we haven't seen Supergirl's super pet cat in ages :csad:

I think at this point in time DC just doesn't want any extra bad or controversial press. They're at a fragile point where no one running the company wants to see: "Superman Destroying the Fabric of America...AGAIN!" plastered over the internet and a major news station. Look at what happened with Nightrunner or Goyer's story. It's less of a decision based on religion and more to do with business.

Hopefully it's not Superman isn't badazz enough...

Yeah, probably right on target there. Just sad that these people only have the balls to do things when it won't incite too much controversy and all that.

Though, I didn't think of it at the time, but I just now realized that they are replacing this apparently ultimately corny scene of Superman saving a cat with an issue dedicated to a super power puppy. Yeah, that obviously isn't going to be corny at all to those who feel like saving a kitten comes right off the husk.

Yes replacing kitten saving with dog with cape I feel debunks the issue getting trashed because of a tougher direction DC wants to take with Superman. What further complicates things is DC got Morrison to spearhead Superman's world. No way is he dropping the sillier elements of Superman. Sure he'll start off as the angry, liberal activist Superman but when the story hits the present I'm sure we'll see the mellowed out God- complete with 5th dimension, super-pets, and transvestite Jimmy Olson.

Wearing a dress every now and then doesn't make Jimmy a transvestite. It just means he knows how to have a good time. :awesome:

Its just another reason that he is amazingly fabulous Corp :up:

Yes replacing kitten saving with dog with cape I feel debunks the issue getting trashed because of a tougher direction DC wants to take with Superman. What further complicates things is DC got Morrison to spearhead Superman's world. No way is he dropping the sillier elements of Superman. Sure he'll start off as the angry, liberal activist Superman but when the story hits the present I'm sure we'll see the mellowed out God- complete with 5th dimension, super-pets, and transvestite Jimmy Olson.

I love transvestite Jimmy Olson :atp:

It's odd how he has dressed in drag so many times in the past. It's also odd that he's never had a successful relationship with a girl... I think Jimmy might have a huge secret that he doesn't want anyone to know about.:hehe:

Just another reason I love Jimmy :hrt:

Though he should wear the bow tie no matter what else he's wearing :up:

Were they serious with issue 712? Had I bought that garbage, I'd have been pissed but I knew better once I saw Krypto on the cover.

It could have been a 5 page extra at the back of a regular issue. I like Krypto well enough but was there a reason for this stall?

It could have been a 5 page extra at the back of a regular issue. I like Krypto well enough but was there a reason for this stall?

No. It was a total filler issue cause there was no big arc to tie it into...

And Rick Leonardi has unfortunately turned unto a sh** artist that they only throw on when they need someone on the fly... Ugh...

I'm trying to understand how the heirs can really own some of those powers. How many heroes have Superspeed and invulnerability. I mean crap Marvel created a character call the Sentry with most of Supermans powers topped with a big ol S.

Apparently the filler issue was because Superman is racist and hates cats

I'm trying to understand how the heirs can really own some of those powers. How many heroes have Superspeed and invulnerability. I mean crap Marvel created a character call the Sentry with most of Supermans powers topped with a big ol S.

Yeah, I don't get the specifics of the lawsuit at all.

I think they just own the Superman character but none of his supporting cast

I could be wrong though I dont know the specifics either

The point is that pretty much no one really knows or understands the specifics of this case.

I really don't see why both sides can't just settle the case amicably.

I mean.........it's Superman for crying out loud.

Exactly. It's Superman.

That one little character is worth billions. People have killed for less.

Apparently the filler issue was because Superman is racist and hates cats

He hates cats because they represent the greatest threat to his relationship with Bruce... ie Catwoman..

Oh my gosh now it all makes sense :wow:

I bet he used super hypnotism to turn Arsenal into the cat killing monster he became. It's all part of his evil plan to get rid of Catwoman so he can have all of Batman's bat lovin' for himself

oh my god this recent issue of grounded was the worst! it was painful to get through.

i also love, how DC blames the shelving of the last issue on the fact they dont want to portray superman as a cat saving do-gooder....yet in this issue they portray him as a cat saving do-gooder. good job, DC.

Here's the cover to the first "Action Comics" No. 1 in 73 years -- and the latest version of Superman is part E.T., part Paul Bunyan and even a little Bruce Springsteen.
"This is a young Superman who still believes a better world for everyone is possible," said writer Grant Morrison, who'll be chronicling the Man of Steel's days as the world's first superhero when DC Comics relaunches its entire line of comics in September.
The Post got a sneak peek ahead of this week's San Diego Comic-Con.
While most of the titles, including "Batman" and "Green Lantern," will showcase DC's iconic heroes when they're well into their careers, "Action Comics" shows the earliest adventures of Superman, who's initially a bluejeans-and-T-shirt-wearing crimefighter with a small red cape.
young_superman--300x450.jpg

Superman

"We felt it was time for the big adventures of a 21st-century Paul Bunyan who fights for the weak and downtrodden against bullies of all kinds, from robot invaders and crime lords to corrupt city officials," said Morrison, a former "X-Men" writer.
"The new look reflects his status as a street-level defender of the ordinary man and woman."
The series will show how Clark Kent becomes the world's foremost superhero and how he got his iconic costume, which has been tweaked in the new continuity -- meaning no more red briefs.
The original "Action Comics" No. 1 (inset), which featured the debut of Superman, is one of the world's most sought-after comics. A copy sold for $1.5 million last March.

Bring it on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back