The Official Superman Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think his Batman is one of the most confident Batmans I have read. Always seems to have plan or at least a portion of one.

It doesn't have to make sense! It's just super popular to hate on Snyder right now, so why not?

Even though 10 months ago there weren't enough good things for people to say about him.

Yeah I think his Batman is one of the most confident Batmans I have read. Always seems to have plan or at least a portion of one.

The only heroes he's written besides Batman are Dick and Swamp Thing. I don't recall much doubt in Black Mirror. And Swamp Thing was more or less an origin of the actual Alec Holland as Swampy so doubt kind of comes with the territory.

Apparently people are pissed that Orson Scott Card is going to be writing for the Adventures of Superman book.

Apparently people are pissed that Orson Scott Card is going to be writing for the Adventures of Superman book.
I read about that. And frankly, these people need to shut the **** up. Card is entitled to his own damn opinion, even if it is rotten, stupid, deplorable, and bigoted. And there is no reason to fire a man because of his political/religious beliefs. Calling Card out for his beliefs against gay marriage would be just as dumb and stupid for calling out Gail Simone for her support on the issue.

Mark Millar says it best:
"One of the caveats of freedom of speech is that we should occasionally not try to bankrupt people we, as liberals, disagree with."

And a commenter from ComicMix also sums it up pretty well:
"If one doesn't like a creator's politics, one is free to institute a personal boycott. I, for one, stopped buying Revlon products when I didn't like what Perlman did to Marvel. I don't buy Domino's pizza. My decisions make very little difference to the bottom line, but I can live with my choices.

Similarly, anyone offended by Card's beliefs is free to not buy his stories, if that is what they need to do. But organize to get him fired? that's just making him a martyr for a cause you don't believe in. Argue with him on the merits (where you're right), don't threaten his livelihood."

Huh. I'm a little surprised Millar said something I like.

Plus, Card wrote one of the best sci fi series like, ever. I'm excited to see what he does with a character like Superman.

Probably something as boring as his Ultimate Iron Man. :o

Yeah, I didn't read that. Because the Ultimate Universe is stupid. :o

He managed to make it more stupid....also confusing.

I read about that. And frankly, these people need to shut the **** up. Card is entitled to his own damn opinion, even if it is rotten, stupid, deplorable, and bigoted. And there is no reason to fire a man because of his political/religious beliefs. Calling Card out for his beliefs against gay marriage would be just as dumb and stupid for calling out Gail Simone for her support on the issue.

Mark Millar says it best:
"One of the caveats of freedom of speech is that we should occasionally not try to bankrupt people we, as liberals, disagree with."

And a commenter from ComicMix also sums it up pretty well:
"If one doesn't like a creator's politics, one is free to institute a personal boycott. I, for one, stopped buying Revlon products when I didn't like what Perlman did to Marvel. I don't buy Domino's pizza. My decisions make very little difference to the bottom line, but I can live with my choices.

Similarly, anyone offended by Card's beliefs is free to not buy his stories, if that is what they need to do. But organize to get him fired? that's just making him a martyr for a cause you don't believe in. Argue with him on the merits (where you're right), don't threaten his livelihood."

I agree with you in general but I do have to say a few things:

Card hasn't just had an opinion, he's been actively trying to make sure they cannot marry and outlaw homosexuality. Hiring the guy to Superman just seems wrong. I won't be picking it up anyway (not a big Supes fan) but it would make more sense if he was doing something like Guardians of the Galaxy or even Green Lantern. Something more sci fi and doesn't include a character who wants peace and freedom when he has actively opposed the freedom of a group of people. I think the response I've seen that I agree with the most is:

Actor and big Supes fan Michael Hartney has written to DC directly on the matter:

"If this was a Holocaust denier or a white supremacist, there would be no question. Hiring that writer would be an embarrassment to your company. Well, Card is an embarrassment to your company, DC. And of all the characters Card could have been hired to write, you give him Superman? The character that taught me to lead by example? To do the right thing, even when it was hard? To keep going, even when it seemed hopeless? What an insult. Kids are killing themselves. They are killing themselves in a climate of intolerance and homophobia publicly fostered by people like Orson Scott Card. You don't have to contribute to this. You shouldn't. You mustn't."

(Quote from the site that shall not be named)

Card hasn't just had an opinion, he's been actively trying to make sure they cannot marry and outlaw homosexuality. Hiring the guy to Superman just seems wrong. I won't be picking it up anyway (not a big Supes fan) but it would make more sense if he was doing something like Guardians of the Galaxy or even Green Lantern. Something more sci fi and doesn't include a character who wants peace and freedom when he has actively opposed the freedom of a group of people. I think the response I've seen that I agree with the most is:
Like I said, his views are indeed deplorable, but he's entitled to do it. We shouldn't be persecuting the man for having an ignorant opinion. And just like how it's wrong for the Million Dollar Moms to demand JCPenny to fire Ellen Degeneres for no good reason, it's wrong to fire Card without a legitimate cause.

The best thing to do is to boycott him. But to demand that he get fired, that's too much.

(Quote from the site that shall not be named)
Waaaaay too much of an overreaction. This is as dumb as when pro-gay rights groups complained about Chuck Dixon taking over Batman and the Outsiders and Bill Willingham taking over Justice Society of America. It's very unlikely that Card will use Superman to promote an anti-gay message and DC isn't ever going to allow such a thing.

Like I said, his views are indeed deplorable, but he's entitled to do it. We shouldn't be persecuting the man for having an ignorant opinion. And just like how it's wrong for the Million Dollar Moms to demand JCPenny to fire Ellen Degeneres for no good reason, it's wrong to fire Card without a legitimate cause.

The best thing to do is to boycott him. But to demand that he get fired, that's too much.

Waaaaay too much of an overreaction. This is as dumb as when pro-gay rights groups complained about Chuck Dixon taking over Batman and the Outsiders and Bill Willingham taking over Justice Society of America. It's very unlikely that Card will use Superman to promote an anti-gay message and DC isn't ever going to allow such a thing.

Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. But, the moment he starts to try and take away the rights of other people, it no longer is just an opinion.

Last edited:
Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. But, the moment he starts to try and take away the rights of other people, it no longer is just an opinion.
And he has the right to be associated with vile groups and be an anti-gay marriage activist. It's called freedom of speech. And it's not like his meaningless pathetic efforts have an impact anyways. Let him be a sad little man, in the end he isn't hurting anybody, the way an ant doesn't hurt a person. You feel offended by his views, just simply don't buy his literature. But people who support gay rights should be the better people than the bigots who are against them.

Card is on the board of the National Organization of Marriage, which is a hate group that uses the resources of powerful biggots to prevent equal rights. I don't think anyone should add to his paycheck by buying his Superman.

Card is on the board of the National Organization of Marriage, which is a hate group that uses the resources of powerful biggots to prevent equal rights. I don't think anyone should add to his paycheck by buying his Superman.

Half of Hollywood in the 30s were communists. Should we not watch those movies?

This should not be an issue. We're not buying these comics because we support the ideals of the person who writes them. If you only bought books written by someone who you agree with on everything, you'd be buying 0 books.

We're buying them because we like the stories and character in the books. As long as Card puts out quality work, who gives a **** what he thinks?

Why would I boycott 30s movies? Were they actively discriminating and denying rights to certain citizens?

It's not like I'm not reading this because he loves peaches and I hate them. He uses the money he makes so that NOM can afford to fight equal rights at every turn. His discrimination produces tangible results when he helps fund hate groups. I don't know why people don't care about things like that? Just because it's entertainment doesn't mean we should forget or ignore human rights in the real world.

Why would I boycott 30s movies? Were they actively discriminating and denying rights to certain citizens?

It was kinda the other way around back then. Where everybody else was denying the rights of the Commie's in the movies. Also it was the 50's.

I have a question about Action Comics: so, Andy Diggle's run was pushed back because Morrison needed one more issue, thus making issue #18 his finale instead of issue #17. Diggle's now starts in issue #19, and I assumed that it was just the numbers changed, and everythign was the same; turns out, issue #20 has a new cover, because it has a new part of the story. My question is: how and will the stories solicited in Diggle's original #18, 19 (the one that's WTF) be published along with the recently solicited issue #20?

It's not like I'm not reading this because he loves peaches and I hate them. He uses the money he makes so that NOM can afford to fight equal rights at every turn. His discrimination produces tangible results when he helps fund hate groups. I don't know why people don't care about things like that? Just because it's entertainment doesn't mean we should forget or ignore human rights in the real world.

But NOM is a pretty worthless organization, they ain't going to produce any tangible results.

I have a question about Action Comics: so, Andy Diggle's run was pushed back because Morrison needed one more issue, thus making issue #18 his finale instead of issue #17. Diggle's now starts in issue #19, and I assumed that it was just the numbers changed, and everythign was the same; turns out, issue #20 has a new cover, because it has a new part of the story. My question is: how and will the stories solicited in Diggle's original #18, 19 (the one that's WTF) be published along with the recently solicited issue #20?
What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"