The Official Superman Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Convergence #8 cover

xERf8iO.jpg

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Superman teams up with Power Girl, but can they stop a nuclear strike by Lex Luthor and Stalin of Red Son Moscow?

ACCONV_1_2.jpg

Supes is drawn a bit like Tom Welling there

zac-efron-tom-welling-parkland-toronto-premiere-04.jpg

I'm really enjoying Convergence, I even decided to check out Superman #40. Unfortunately it was horrible. It's pretty obvious when the writer does not understand the character. Convergence is a painful reminder of just how much the New 52 still sucks.

You mean the guy who is known for his art and not his writing ended up being a mediocre writer? you don't say?

Looking forward to Gene Luen Yang's run after avoiding that book for over 2 years now.

You mean the guy who is known for his art and not his writing ended up being a mediocre writer? you don't say?

Looking forward to Gene Luen Yang's run after avoiding that book for over 2 years now.

You didn't read Geoff's Superman arc either? It's not that bad.

You didn't read Geoff's Superman arc either? It's not that bad.

Read the first issue. Didn't like it. So I skipped the rest. The last time I regularly read the book Lobdell was still on it (I liked most of his run).

Cool

Also imo the Post-Convergence Superman's hair looks just like the "Titans Tomorrow" version of Superman's hair.

Post-Convergence:
4444158-superww.jpg

Titans Tomorrow:
1239422-titans_west.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously I cried at the birth of Lois & Clark's son.(Jonathan Samuel Kent) I miss this version of the real Superman & Lois Lane. It's nice to see the classic Blue boy scout, such a different character to the dark emo 52 garbage version.

Convergence-Superman-2-2015-Page-22-600x329.jpg

OKpx8N1.png

LOL @ "real Superman and Lois Lane"

Loved how in Convergence #6 everybody including New 52 Earth-2 Superman automatically delegated leadership to Pre-Flashpoint Superman. As if all those characters knew it was the natural thing to do. Talk about an iconic born leader with an authoritative presence that cant be denied.

Loved how in Convergence #6 everybody including New 52 Earth-2 Superman automatically delegated leadership to Pre-Flashpoint Superman. As if all those characters knew it was the natural thing to do. Talk about an iconic born leader with an authoritative presence that cant be denied.

Superman pre-flashpoint is the real deal and everyone knows it! He leads with authority and grace, wisdom and strength.

And yet DDC wants Superman to be a buzz cut having t-shirt wearing anger management needing *****e. :(

The preview for Action Comics 41 actually looks pretty good I thought.

What comic books are some of you cats reading where new 52 superman has anger management issues and is emo? because in 4 years of reading a great bulk of books featuring new 52 superman I've never seen anything of the sort.

so what is superman going to be coming out of this whole "whatever-thing" that is happening right now? i stopped reading comics a few years ago due to the new 52 being unapologetically atrocious.

is there any chance we are getting back a more classic superman?

If DC had to put Superman in t-shirt/jeans again Post-Convergence, why didn't they just go back to the AC New 52 Rags Morales design? At least he had a cape. Too me Superman ain't Superman without a cape.
Action_Comics_Vol_2_1.jpg

I just wish the New 52 universe went bye-bye and they went back to the old universe of characters.

The Superboy series was syndicated and didn't last very long. I remember when it was still on the air. Lois & Clark catered more to women which is why it was on sunday at 8 were it also couldn't really be viewed by a majority potential new gen of kids since they have school and such. I myself used to watch it since I used to go to bed around 11 but I did find it fairly boring.

If it wasn't for STAS and then JL and JLU I don't think the 90's and early 2000's would've done any favors for Superman across media that caters to a vast audience.

I also forgot about Smallville. That's probably the most relevant version of Superman's story to today's general audience and it wasn't one that was even consistently good.

Superman is viewed as kind of a joke still for the most part compared to the likes of Spider-Man, Batman and the X-Men. Like Superman Returns came out and they mostly laughed it off screens and considered it boring and weird.

Then with Man of Steel people always still point out how it "underperformed" financially or how they over analyze it's mediocrity even though it still actually made pretty good money and was fairly received despite all that. He gets no respect.

This affects people's perceptions of what Superman is to the point that most ignore the comic books altogether even if they actually start collecting comic books regularly. You see it every time a new reader pops up in any DC forum on the internet. They always start with Batman comic books. Once upon a time people used to start with Superman and now they don't even consider it.

Hell we live in a world where Iron Man and Thor now have more fans than Superman. That's crazy to me as I remember those characters being obscure at best to most people, including regular comic book readers once upon a time.

WB has a lot of work to do in helping to make Superman truly worthy of his status as the first superhero not just in comic books but also in modern superhero movies that began in the late 70's.

Good luck to them with the DC slate of movies because that is make or break for Superman. He'll be carrying the weight of an entire universe on his shoulders for the first time in live action on the epic scale it needs to be in. If they don't botch this up it could end up being pure magic. I hope it really works out and ends up far evolved from what MOS provided.

When I was a younger kid in the late 80's Superman was the hero in the greater public consciousness then Batman really crept up after 1989. Hasn't stopped since. Since then Superman has had way too many long stop gaps across media compared to Batman and it's hurt his brand significantly.

Most people now approach Superman with reluctance. It's kinda sad to see and probably shouldn't be that way but it is what it is. Hopefully though it could go back to being that a kid could consider Superman the hero once again fairly soon.

I find your saying very clear and right. I personally think of all this in a more aggressive way myself.
You're right about Iron Man and Thor being more famous now, I'm also a child of the 80es and Superman was bigger than now. I also think you're right about DC messig with the character, but I disagree about the writing teams ' fault.
I think it's geneal ; Batman was not a big big thing until Frank Miller DK and Burton's Batman. That (+ Btas) cemented the whole überbat situation. Problem is : it made batman strong while/by smashing Superman down.
Right now, Superman is a joke. Having batman winning every single one encounter between the two, or having superman being ridiculous ("for the sake of silver age old times", cf Batman the brave and the bold) when both hero are together, or having the fact that most of the DC universe is built like Gotham City instead of being like a mosaic of different cities/culture, IS what probably take Superman to the bottom of lame, yeah.
The only true opposite to this batman problem, is the Flash. G. Johns creted a whole world in Central City where only the flash's way works efficiently.

Since batman is a franchise, a product and not a character, they won't torpedo their own product, so I don't see things going better for Supes anytime soon.

Since then Superman has had way too many long stop gaps across media compared to Batman and it's hurt his brand significantly.
Agreed with that too, of course.

sooo.....how come Supergirl isn't part of the post Convergence lineup?

How much did they depower Superman? And if that super flare power is supposed to depower him for 24 hours, why is he being depowered for such a long stretch?

Jurgens did wonders with pre flashpoint supes and Lois. I loved this story. Probably the best thing to come out of convergence to me.

Off topic but, I was just wondering if I was the only one who still prefers Kal-El to be the sole survivor of Krypton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"