The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

The worst thing for me is they're Frankenstein monster movies. Not unlike SM3 in that regard. TASM starts being about his dad disappearing, then that is dropped for a large portion and becomes about finding Ben's killer and becoming Spider-Man. Then it becomes about stopping the Lizard from turning the city into Lizards. 3 different movies that don't cleanly transition from one to the other. TASM2 similarly starts out about him breaking up with Gwen and Harry coming back, then about Electro being a bad rip off of BF Riddler, then it becomes about Harry suddenly dying of a disease it took his father like....40 more years to die of than Harry apparently is. Then Harry frees Electro and let's him fight Spider-Man with no assistance at all, then fights Spider-Man after he beats Electro (when a team-up would have clearly just ended in Spider-Man death). Then it's about sad Peter and the Sinister Six franchise building. Oh and his dad had a hidden subway base you needed coins he stored in a calculator to get into for no reason also. They're messes of movies. At least TASM is more or less 3 different movies cut into 3rds. TASM2 is like, 5 movies haphazardly assembled by a toddler

I agree, but also sad Peter coming to the cemetary all year long remains one of the best sequences in the history of the genre.

Pity the rest of the movie didn't match that.

Will the TASM 2 re-release next week have the X-Men post credit scene?
I forgot that was a thing. What was even the point of that anyway? Was it just Sony and Fox's way of sticking it to Marvel Studios at the time? There was absolutely no cross-promotion necessary as DOFP was a highly anticipated reunion of the OG X-Men cast.

I forgot that was a thing. What was even the point of that anyway? Was it just Sony and Fox's way of sticking it to Marvel Studios at the time? There was absolutely no cross-promotion necessary as DOFP was a highly anticipated reunion of the OG X-Men cast.
Marc Webb had a contract with Fox to do a movie for them and it stalled his contract negotations for ASM2. Eventually Fox allowed him to do ASM2 under the condition that Sony promoted their next X-Men movie. They figured by putting a scene in the movie itself, it would seem important like all the MCU movies credit scenes, despite there being zero connection between the two.

Last edited:
Marc Webb had a contract with Fox to do a movie or them and it stalled his contract negotations for ASM2. Eventually Fox allowed him to do ASM2 under the condition that Sony promoted their next X-Men movie. They figured by putting a scene in the movie itself, it would seem important like all the MCU movies credit scenes, despite they're being zero connection between the two.
That sounds familiar. At the very least they could have picked a more dynamic scene than Mystique sneaking onto the base to talk to Havok. It was so random.

Reminder, this is what Luthor-to-be Nicholas Hoult looks like with a bald head:

maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting that he’s been training Nick Hoult as well.
Good point. I’m a fan of the Hoult casting and think he could also get an intimidating look as Lex with a few more pounds of muscle on his frame. And so far this trainer has proved ..super-effective. :cool:

The Fantastic…..wait sorry The Incredibles are coming back for a third film.

Incredibles 2 was pretty good but I hope a third one ups the ante a little more. I found myself more interested in the B plot of Bob taking care of the kids. To reiterate, I liked 2 and it was pretty exceptional for a Pixar sequel, I was just expecting a little more from it after a 14 year wait.

Incredibles 2 was pretty good but I hope a third one ups the ante a little more. I found myself more interested in the B plot of Bob taking care of the kids. To reiterate, I liked 2 and it was pretty exceptional for a Pixar sequel, I was just expecting a little more from it after a 14 year wait.
1715204734485.gif

This was me trying to help my nieces with their math homework. 😭

Incredible 2's Mr Incredible stay at home dad plot is amazing. Elastogirl's...sadly it feels like a worse rehash of the main plot of the first one with a less interesting villain. I liked it overall though and would welcome a 3rd!

I adored Incredibles 2. Always down for more of the Parr family as long is it’s from Brad Bird.
He left Pixar after siding with Lasseter over the sexual harassment allegations.

View attachment 89756

This was me trying to help my nieces with their math homework. 😭
32305f5f8a84b621c14e489fce323da47d4827b2.gif

Incredible 2's Mr Incredible stay at home dad plot is amazing. Elastogirl's...sadly it feels like a worse rehash of the main plot of the first one with a less interesting villain. I liked it overall though and would welcome a 3rd!
Similar plot but with the characters swapped is something that's not uncommon in sequels, even Toy Story 2 is guilty of it with Buzz being the one having to bring Woody back down to earth in that case. I would have minded it much less with Incredibles 2 had the villain been more interesting, as you said.

Also on the topic of Incredibles 2, Bob Odenkirk's character was one of my favorite parts but him being a full-on caricature of himself was a weird choice because Pixar had never really done that before or since. I would have thought it to be tacky if I wasn't such a fan of Odenkirk.

He left Pixar after siding with Lasseter over the sexual harassment allegations.
HPFJZtI.gif

32305f5f8a84b621c14e489fce323da47d4827b2.gif

Similar plot but with the characters swapped is something that's not uncommon in sequels, even Toy Story 2 is guilty of it with Buzz being the one having to bring Woody back down to earth in that case. I would have minded it much less with Incredibles 2 had the villain been more interesting, as you said.

Also on the topic of Incredibles 2, Bob Odenkirk's character was one of my favorite parts but him being a full-on caricature of himself was a weird choice because Pixar had never really done that before or since. I would have thought it to be tacky if I wasn't such a fan of Odenkirk.

HPFJZtI.gif
Toy Story 2 has the exact same kind of issue for me. The Woody plot line, amazing. The Buzz plot line? Meh at best. So yeah, it's certainly common. But that doesn't mean it's a great trope. In both cases, I enjoy Incredibles and Toy Story much more than their sequels. They're not BAD by any means. They just are not nearly as good as their amazing 1st installments. I am hoping Incredibles 3 can be a Toy Story 3

Toy Story 2 has the exact same kind of issue for me. The Woody plot line, amazing. The Buzz plot line? Meh at best. So yeah, it's certainly common. But that doesn't mean it's a great trope. In both cases, I enjoy Incredibles and Toy Story much more than their sequels. They're not BAD by any means. They just are not nearly as good as their amazing 1st installments. I am hoping Incredibles 3 can be a Toy Story 3
To me I feel like there's no wrong choice for the best Toy Story movie as long as it isn't 4. :o

I'd be absolutely floored if an Incredibles 3 could be on par with Toy Story 3 in terms of quality. That's my personal best of the Toy Story movies and it also might just be the best Pixar movie IMO. All these years later and I'm still processing the incinerator scene where they all take each others' hands and accept their fate.

It’s true Bob being the stay at Home dad was hilarious. As was Jack-jack vs. The raccoon. I’m very interested to seeing a different story with the entire family having to deal with the kids growing up, while maybe fighting a villainous family who is the opposite of the Parr family. Heck maybe Violet falls in love with the teenage son of the group or Dash is tricked into thinking these kids are cooler. I don’t know just spit balling ideas around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"