The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

RIP to the og definitive Harley Quinn. I wonder how she died. 67 is not old.

A few months back Diane Pershing (the VA for Poison Ivy) said Arleen had been sick a long time.

I'm really bummed hearing this. More so than Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill, Arleen Sorkin is literally Harley Quinn. The character was based on her personality/mannerisms and created for her, and she was a standout in the animated series.

RIP. Losing her and Conroy within a year sucks.

Last edited:

Haunts me.
I just rewatched the film on Max. Man, this is just so bizzare even more so the second time. I think one of the worst things about The Flash, aside from the awful CGI, is Ezra. I remember people trying to reluctantly claim Miller was good in this movie, but aside from some emotional moments, they're not. You can never tell when Ezra is serious in a scene or will turn something into a joke. Honestly, the only scene in this movie I enjoyed on rewatch is the russian facility fight scene with Keatons Batman. That's it. It's sad that Keatons long awaited return ended up happening in a film like this. All the scenes with him were so cool, except the awful ending. And that's another thing..

They kill him off. Like, why? It's stupid.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I enjoyed Black Adam more.

Anyway, so far, THIS is the best example of bringing back past iterations and making it work well and service the story. The fan service in this film wasn't distracting like it was in The Flash. It didn't feel like action figures checking off tagline boxes or whatever.

369686254_780397680758022_7316199150050850726_n.jpg

Hopefully Deadpool 3 is great as well.

Last edited:
Why does Barry’s tooth fall out? Is he like Charlie on Always Sunny and can just pull out teeth due to really poor dental hygiene?

I just rewatched the film on Max. Man, this is just so bizzare even more so the second time. I think one of the worst things about The Flash, aside from the awful CGI, is Ezra. I remember people trying to reluctantly claim Miller was good in this movie, but aside from some emotional moments, they're not. You can never tell when Ezra is serious in a scene or will turn something into a joke. Honestly, the only scene in this movie I enjoyed on rewatch is the russian facility fight scene with Keatons Batman. That's it. It's sad that Keatons long awaited return ended up happening in a film like this. All the scenes with him were so cool, except the awful ending. And that's another thing..

Anyway, so far, THIS is the best example of bringing back past iterations and making it work well and service the story. The fan service in this film wasn't distracting like it was in The Flash. It didn't feel like action figures checking off tagline boxes or whatever.

Spider Man reunion was great.

I thought that Black Adam was nice as well, like a B where Spider Man is an A. It had some fun world building, took place in a different culture, had James Bond retconned as being Dr. Fate, good gravitas and good action. It's a competent movie, just not a great one.

But obviously, I now have more desire for another Spider Man movie than another Black Adam movie, I think nearly everybody does.

PS those hugs in Spider Man 3 are actually earned. They don't just happen like hugs do in certain other movies. It's because the characters bond during the events of the movie, experiencing meaningful events and growth together.

Last edited:

THIS 100%. And you know, NWH definitely has its problems too that become glaringly noticeable when you watch the movie by yourself without an enthusiastic audience cheering and laughing every 5 mins. However, and I mean this, I think it has arguably one of the best, if not the best, denouements of any cbm. The final 20 mins are so emotional and moving and mature and not once is any of it undercut with a silly joke. You could literally feel Peter Parker finally growing up and becoming his own man which I think more than all of the multiverse surprises and stuff is really what leaves the biggest impression on you when the film is done.

Why does Barry’s tooth fall out? Is he like Charlie on Always Sunny and can just pull out teeth due to really poor dental hygiene?

In the scene he got shocked by lightning with other Barry, his tooth came out and he put it back in with superglue. Guess he never went to get it fixed after the adventure lol

That's an apt way to describe it. Even with NWHs storyline faults, the whole Spider-Bros factor was built up nicely and earned. Unlike the Flash where they just wanted to get nuts so they got nuts.

Still love when Ned's Lola waves to Tobey's Spidey.

azeqDdK_460s.jpg

That's an apt way to describe it. Even with NWHs storyline faults, the whole Spider-Bros factor was built up nicely and earned. Unlike the Flash where they just wanted to get nuts so they got nuts.

azeqDdK_460s.jpg
This is a problem with DC universe attempts going back to Snyder. They go for the big payoffs without trying to earn them.

I do think there was a good, dare I say potentially great, movie somewhere in The Flash. There are parts of the story that actually really worked for me. It's just not enough to make me ever want to sit through it again, and I put a ton of that on Ezra's performance.

Free tip to any director, if you're making a comedy and the lead actor you've inherited has the comedic chops of a child actor in a Disney channel original movie, you can recast them! Especially if they're a criminal!

Last edited:

azeqDdK_460s.jpg
I LOVED this bit. Tobey seemed over joyed that she waved at him and I always felt like that was perfectly in line with his version of peter. The level of innocence in that exchange haha. Just perfect.

It didn't ultimately take away from the movie (which remains one of my favorite), but I do often wonder how different my experience would have been had that one Door Dash delivery driver in Atlanta had not spoiled Andrew (and subsequently Tobey's) return lmao.

It's possible it would have leaked some other way before the movie was released but imagine being lucky enough to not know. Had some casual-fan friends tell me they had no idea going in and I'm still jealous.

THIS 100%. And you know, NWH definitely has its problems too that become glaringly noticeable when you watch the movie by yourself without an enthusiastic audience cheering and laughing every 5 mins. However, and I mean this, I think it has arguably one of the best, if not the best, denouements of any cbm. The final 20 mins are so emotional and moving and mature and not once is any of it undercut with a silly joke. You could literally feel Peter Parker finally growing up and becoming his own man which I think more than all of the multiverse surprises and stuff is really what leaves the biggest impression on you when the film is done.

Spot on. Subsequent viewings of NWH brought down my enthusiasm some, but they undeniably stuck the landing.

azeqDdK_460s.jpg
I had NWH on the other day and while there are plenty of flaws throughout it and it does play best in a crowded theater with fans, I still get so much joy when Tobey and Andrew come in. That nostalgic hook hasn't faded for me after almost two years.
I'm still laughing at that one dumb theory/meme where Ned's Lola is the little girl that he saved in Spider-Man 2. :funny:

Spider-Man-NWH-Theory.jpg
I've never heard this theory but that's absolutely hysterical. Probably not the craziest thing you'd find on Reddit either.

God whenever Muschietti resurfaces the internet is going to roast him. He’ll never live this movie down. Lol
He might be okay. Even when the internet was ripping The Flash apart they weren't really going after Muschietti. It was never his baby, the movie went through three or four directors before he came on board. The blame falls way more on the execs how it turned out. That said, marketing for The Brave and the Bold will say "From the director of IT" and won't even mention The Flash. :o

If Muschietti makes another massive hit like It Chapter One was, he will be fine. This is very much a "what have you done for me lately" business and people will forget massive flops on your record the next time you make a big hit

Free tip to any director, if you're making a comedy and the lead actor you've inherited has the comedic chops of a child actor in a Disney channel original movie, you can recast them! Especially if they're a criminal!
Sounds like a foolproof (and obvious) formula. :D Shame the execs and directors earning millions can’t figure this stuff out.

It didn't ultimately take away from the movie (which remains one of my favorite), but I do often wonder how different my experience would have been had that one Door Dash delivery driver in Atlanta had not spoiled Andrew (and subsequently Tobey's) return lmao.

It's possible it would have leaked some other way before the movie was released but imagine being lucky enough to not know. Had some casual-fan friends tell me they had no idea going in and I'm still jealous.

Spot on. Subsequent viewings of NWH brought down my enthusiasm some, but they undeniably stuck the landing.
Should be obvious to any fan not to spoil something this big for any other fan. Especially someone in real life where we have no reason to know if they’re a hardcore fan or not who might already know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"