The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I am going to ignore the controversy of the actor in question for this, but Shuri as Black Panther is fine in theory. But I think they chose the wrong path.

The movie they made was essentially a wake for T'Challa. Shuri doesn't even take the herb and become the Panther until essentially the ending. Which metaphorically I get, but nothing they did highlighted what qualities SHE has as Black Panther well enough. I can see a version of this movie where Shuri is the last of the tribe, has to be Black Panther. But she knows she doesn't have her brother's physical abilities and combat discipline. So at first, she isn't a very good Black Panther. But then she tinkers with some inventions and makes herself more like a tech based Black Panther with various weapons and such. Thus showing everyone and herself that she can be the Black Panther HER way and stop trying to be Black Panther like her brother was. It's natural that how her brother or her father handled the mantle was all she knew and they were her heroes (especially her brother) but she has to realize what her own virtues are. That should have been the story

I think Shuri would have been accepted better as Black Panther if the movie had gone this route. Focusing entirely on her grief and then she just suddenly is the Black Panther I don't think made the skeptical part of the audience entirely buy her.

Last edited:
What I think could work for Sony.

1) since they're starved for IP, is lean in on being a a Japanese company and start adapting a lot of anime. That's been shown to be doable and there are countless other anime worth adapting. Buy the rights to Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Hikaru No Go, etc.

2) drop their streaming pretensions, and offer an exclusivity agreement to one of Netflix, Amazon, HBO, or Disney Plus. Give all of the films for e.g. five years. That will get their properties more exposure.

3) Shrink the SMU to two films every three years, or less.

4) Hire young, potentially talented filmmakers (age 27-35) to make genre films in the 40-70 million dollar range. Throw the kitchen sink at the wall and see what sticks. Because the time to hire people like Nolan, Villeneuve, Del Toro, Kosinski, Cuaron, etc isn't when they're 60, it's when they're 30.

What we might get is a solo movie about Silvermane.

Hey @Shinobi Shaw , guess who just re-upped his Disney+ account? Still gotta get through seasons 3-5 of the original X-Men TAS as a refresher before jumping into 97 but it's happening.

EzT1.gif

Finally got around to my Black Panther: Wakanda Forever re-watch...

I absolutely adore this movie. It just gets better and better each time I see it. I love how it functions as both a loving, respectful tribute to Chadwick, as well as a stellar example of a CBM done right, with all the action, set pieces, politics, and melodrama fans could possibly want.

It's also a shame that Letitia and Tenoch turned out to be so problematic in real life. I really enjoyed them both as Shuri and Namor respectively...

And that concludes my re-watch of all the MCU Phase Four films. Having seen them all again now, I'd rank them as follows:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Eternals
Black Widow
Thor: Love and Thunder

I'll take a break from the MCU and then tackle a re-watch of the Phase Five films. I've only seen Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania once but I remember kinda sorta liking it. We'll see how it holds up upon a re-watch :oldrazz:

Now you're making me want to have a rewatch of Wakanda Forever when I have episodes of My 600lb Life (don't judge me people) to catch up on.

But I definitely agree with you sis about it. I mean look, Ryan Coogler was given an extremely difficult task in the wake of Mr Boseman's passing, and while it may not have been the perfect sequel, it is still a marvelous film.

Also doesn't get enough credit for having being led by a cast of formidable black women in a big budget Hollywood film and also making bank at the box office, plus getting an Oscar and an Oscar acting nom. That makes me smile when you have rich, tone deaf boomers complaining about female driven movies and 'woke' culture (which they clearly have no concept of).

I say all that to say, I'd be down to see what a BP3 would look like.

So if you guys want to save money it really is cheaper to do the Disney Duo Premium bundle for $19.99 with no ads.

So if you guys want to save money it really is cheaper to do the Disney Duo Premium bundle for $19.99 with no ads.
Or just curate an extensive Physical Media collection that offers free digital copies and cash those in thus owning all your movies and thus less monthly bills and no worries about shifting services :o

Or just curate an extensive Physical Media collection that offers free digital copies and cash those in thus owning all your movies and thus less monthly bills and no worries about shifting services :o
Or rip your physical media into your own NAS and use Kodi or Plex to curate them for your own personal streaming library. 😘

If I was investing in a long term Disney+ and Hulu subscription that's what I'd go with but since I'm dropping it again in a couple months once the new content well dries up after The Acolyte I'm just doing month to month.

Seriously, folks don't talk about A Goofy Movie and/or The Hunchback of Notre Dame enough for me.

View attachment 88839
'90s kids are keeping them alive. A Goofy Movie particularly got a lot of love recently in one of the last episodes of Atlanta that acted as a mockumentary about the making of the movie.

If I was investing in a long term Disney+ and Hulu subscription that's what I'd go with but since I'm dropping it again in a couple months once the new content well dries up after The Acolyte I'm just doing month to month.

'90s kids are keeping them alive. A Goofy Movie particularly got a lot of love recently in one of the last episodes of Atlanta that acted as a mockumentary about the making of the movie.

That is how much it is month to month.

With the Target and Best Buy news, it makes me sad that one day the children will hear the term 'physical media' and be like

200w (1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"