The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I’m still shocked that Indiana Jones flopped.

I thought you guys LOVED that franchise.

I’m still shocked that Indiana Jones flopped.

I thought you guys LOVED that franchise.
I am not at all surprised. It came too late and no one wants to watch old and sad Indiana Jones. Whenever people said they thought it was a billion dollar movie, I always said I thought it was going to do far less than people thought. The movie had no buzz

Speaking of X2, did Rogue do anything in this film? Scott and Charles get brainwashed, Pyro and Bobby had a dick measuring contest, Storm and Nightcrawler stopped Jason, Jean goes Phoenix to save everyone, Magneto and Mystique trap Stryker.
Absolutely failed with the Blackbird’s controls and played up the drama on that scene to the max. :D

I am not at all surprised. It came too late and no one wants to watch old and sad Indiana Jones. Whenever people said they thought it was a billion dollar movie, I always said I thought it was going to do far less than people thought. The movie had no buzz
I can only dream of what Indy late sequels might have been like if filmed a couple of decades earlier. I got something from the subsequent post-trilogy films but only a tiny fraction of what an Indiana Jones film can give.

I thought it was going to be the biggest movie of 2023 a year ago, especially because of the confidence everyone was showing in the project back then.
If it's any consolation, I'm not sure anyone correctly predicted who was going to come out on top at the box office last year. I remember thinking that Mario was the safest bet for hitting $1B but I never imagined Barbie would outgross it. I also think I predicted that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 would be the highest grossing Marvel movie of 2023 but Oppenheimer outgrossing it by over $100M worldwide was also a surprise.

If it's any consolation, I'm not sure anyone correctly predicted who was going to come out on top at the box office last year. I remember thinking that Mario was the safest bet for hitting $1B but I never imagined Barbie would outgross it. I also think I predicted that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 would be the highest grossing Marvel movie of 2023 but Oppenheimer outgrossing it by over $100M worldwide was also a surprise.
There were so many surprising hits last year, almost as many as the surprising failures. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Sound of Freedom, The Eras Tour, Five Night at Freddie's. I don't remember such an unpredictable year.

There were so many surprising hits last year, almost as many as the surprising failures. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Sound of Freedom, The Eras Tour, Five Night at Freddie's. I don't remember such an unpredictable year.
No one could have called all of these along with the surprising fails (and scale of some of them). It feels like part of the GA at least is looking for new things finally after a long era of everything being focused on sequels and derivative products.

I never really cared for the Indy franchise even though I grew up on Temple of Doom without realizing how f***ed up it was. But with Dial, I liked that part where he goes to Siege of Syracuse.

That sh** was wild.

I adore Indiana Jones. Last Crusade is the movie that made me fall in love with movies. I cannot overstate how much I did not want to watch Old Man Indy.
The amazing thing is that the Old Man Indy conversation started 15 years earlier with Crystal Skull but he was spry as hell in that compared to Dial of Destiny.

The amazing thing is that the Old Man Indy conversation started 15 years earlier with Crystal Skull but he was spry as hell in that compared to Dial of Destiny.
And even then, he was too old to raise his arm high enough to properly crack the whip without a double. :weeping:

I also adore Indiana Jones, and Indiana Jones was a throwback to old school serial action heroes and was COOL. That wasn't what they made. They didn't make a movie intended to appeal like the character that sold merch to kids. They made a movie for people that were now in their 40s and grew up on Indiana Jones and now face issues of aging and such, which is fine conceptually on a drama level (though I don't think it was well done IMO) but that's also not what people in the under 40 demo Indy was originally intended for want. They want a fun romp with Indy punching Nazis and being cool. Not a sad old man begging for death. The movie was flawed at concept. I am sure it's what Ford wanted, but you don't spend 300 mil just to do something for the actor. You want the 4 quadrant demos. That's not the movie they wanted.

I also adore Indiana Jones, and Indiana Jones was a throwback to old school serial action heroes and was COOL. That wasn't what they made. They didn't make a movie intended to appeal like the character that sold merch to kids. They made a movie for people that were now in their 40s and grew up on Indiana Jones and now face issues of aging and such, which is fine conceptually on a drama level (though I don't think it was well done IMO) but that's also not what people in the under 40 demo Indy was originally intended for want. They want a fun romp with Indy punching Nazis and being cool. Not a sad old man begging for death. The movie was flawed at concept
Yeah and the thing is I don't think it's what the 40's demo wanted either. I ain't up there yet, but I did grow up on this character and his main appeal was the ESCAPISM. He was a total wish fulfillment character - the ultimate adventure hero who went and did all the things we can only dream of. Which is why I adored the ambiguity of the Grail lore* in Last Crusade allowing for the suggestion that Indy may very well be immortal (or at least, age really slowly), so that he'd STILL be a young man going on all those adventures even when I was an old lady. That was always my preferred headcanon growing up, and KotC and DoD made no compelling case to me for why that was worth throwing out the window. I never wanted to imagine Indy as a broken down old man. He is literally the LAST character I'd ever want to be reminding me of my own mortality and the fleeting nature of our existence.

*Yes, the Grail crossed the seal, but Henry Sr.'s injury didn't suddenly open back up when that happened so there was wiggle-room in the rules, dammit!

Yeah and the thing is I don't think it's what the 40's demo wanted either. I ain't up there yet, but I did grow up on this character and his main appeal was the ESCAPISM. He was a total wish fulfillment character - the ultimate adventure hero who went and did all the things we can only dream of. Which is why I adored the ambiguity of the Grail lore* in Last Crusade allowing for the suggestion that Indy may very well be immortal (or at least, age really slowly), so that he'd STILL be a young man going on all those adventures even when I was an old lady. That was always my preferred headcanon growing up, and KotC and DoD made no compelling case to me for why that was worth throwing out the window. I never wanted to imagine Indy as a broken down old man. He is literally the LAST character I'd ever want to be reminding me of my own mortality and the fleeting nature of our existence.

*Yes, the Grail crossed the seal, but Henry Sr.'s injury didn't suddenly open back up when that happened so there was wiggle-room in the rules, dammit!
Whole heartedly agreed. Some characters like Wolverine the brooding is part of the appeal, but Indiana Jones isn't that guy. I was never behind Logan with Indiana Jones as vision for an Indiana Jone adventure. It's not why I watch Bond or Indy and such.

Whole heartedly agreed. Some characters like Wolverine the brooding is part of the appeal, but Indiana Jones isn't that guy. I was never behind Logan with Indiana Jones as vision for an Indiana Jone adventure. It's not why I watch Bond or Indy and such.
I think it was because I love the character of Indy so much that I was open to the idea of a brooding older version but seeing it in motion, even though I did like the movie, I was still left thinking that everything could have been left well enough alone because he got a solid and more satisfying ending in not just one but two prior movies. Say what you will about the rest of KOTCS but the final scene with Indy and Marion getting married and Mutt's failed attempt to put on his dad's famous hat as a sly nod to the audience that nobody is going to replace Indy was a nice touch.

But I suppose that's how it goes with most franchises. If someone doesn't like how a series played out after a certain point, they can always bail out. Not a fan of Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny? Tap out after Last Crusade. Don't like how the Star Wars sequels played out? Just stop watching after Return of the Jedi. Ditto for Alien, Terminator, the MCU post-Endgame, etc. etc. There's no obligation.

But I suppose that's how it goes with most franchises. If someone doesn't like how a series played out after a certain point, they can always bail out. Not a fan of Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny? Tap out after Last Crusade. Don't like how the Star Wars sequels played out? Just stop watching after Return of the Jedi. Ditto for Alien, Terminator, the MCU post-Endgame, etc. etc. There's no obligation.

Terminator ended for me like this:

That and T2-3D :o

Terminator ended for me like this:

That and T2-3D :o

There was an easter egg on the T2 special edition DVD that would let you play the movie with that alternate ending and I would most often pick that one. I like both endings though, the ambiguous one and the more final one even with the weird old Sarah makeup. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"