The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

Star Wars and Batman are/were the two franchises I love the most, easily. So yeah, post-2012 fandom has been a rough ride for me haha.

But honestly I think it's healthy to move on. There are still movies and filmmakers worth get excited for, and I totally do when those come along. Fandom just doesn't occupy that same massive, obsessive role in my life anymore...I'm okay with that though. As you get older you realize more and more that time is limited, and for me it's been good to be reprioritize things a bit and focus on goals, personal development, being more present, etc.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is that most of my friends rarely talk about films anymore, and if they do, it's only because I'm bringing it up.
Same, for me. I'm only 29 but at first I thought "maybe it's just my age and my friends' age". But I've got friends from Gen Z through Boomer, and they all are the same way.

Especially my Gen Z friends don't get hyped for anything coming out. Barbenheimer was a pretty big exception and that was more to do with the comical nature of the endeavor seeing such contrasting films back-to-back.

But like...Endgame was the last breath of huge anticipation for a film that I can recall on a cultural level, with No Way Home following up.

Overall, though - it feels like movies are just kinda not the big thing to go do or look forward to anymore. I don't feel it's a generational thing - it's an everyone thing. People may get excited or look forward to something - but it's still in a way more passive manner than it ever used to be, seems like.

Something's changed, certainly.

Maybe I’m weird but I appreciate all the Batman films we’ve had even the bad ones

Truth.

I truly do not get that attitude because you're totally correct, here - that has been the energy/vibe I've gotten from them. And I think they'd never admit it - but they might feel that The Batman maybe wasn't as good as this series or received as great by fans/general audiences.

Otherwise, why the insecurity? The film should speak for itself, right?

I really hope it lessens over time because in the end, I really want to enjoy the new Batman series alongside other fans and take part in the joy - but I don't want to do that if it means I have to do so at the expense of prior Batman films.

I think some fans just want their preferred thing to be considered the "Best" thing.

Reeves fans absolutely feel TB is better than the Nolan trilogy, but for some of them, it probably rankles that it won't get the type of love TDKT gets.

Will it lessen over time? At one point, it was pretty popular to criticize '66 and Burton, now there's a lot of nostalgic fondness for them. I think the Nolan films will eventually reach this point among the fanboy bubble.

Here's my very quick, "stream of consciousness" 2 cents in regards to this debate:

I loved the Nolan films, I grew up with them. At 11 I was ****ing enamored with Nolan's trilogy after seeing the whole thing capped off with TDKR. But I'm not sure they were ever really my definitive take on the mythos.

And watching The Batman in theaters at age 20 really just put all those things into perspective. It's much spookier, more stylized, a lot more warmth coming in from the people behind the cameras versus Nolan's slightly cold cinematic demeanor, more grit, a more BTAS-y noirish score.

The hype for that got me through some dark times post-COVID, it was pretty much the first real Batman trilogy I got to speculate about from the very beginning, and in this day and age where some of the only stuff the genre has to offer is a bunch of overproduced, badly shot samey fluff......this is a very welcome breath of fresh air especially coming off of the DCEU.

But more than that, I think it just comes from the TDK influence being practically EVERYWHERE and forming the basis for most everything Batman past a certain point when I was a kid, to the point where it became tiresome. That, as well as Zimmer's score. It was inescapable. It's like hearing the same 10 bands on the radio with the same 14 hits being played over. And over. And over. And over.

Don't get me wrong, I still like them, I'll get engaged if they're on, and will always consider them one of my first real forays into film. But as of right now I won't put them on unless I want to show them to someone, because I'm just kinda burnt out on them.

Last edited:
Here's my very quick, "stream of consciousness" 2 cents in regards to this debate:

I loved the Nolan films, I grew up with them. At 11 I was ****ing enamored with Nolan's trilogy after seeing the whole thing capped off with TDKR. But I'm not sure they were ever really my definitive take on the mythos.

And watching The Batman in theaters at age 20 really just put all those things into perspective. It's much spookier, more stylized, a lot more warmth coming in from the people behind the cameras versus Nolan's slightly cold cinematic demeanor, more grit, a more BTAS-y noirish score.

The hype for that got me through some dark times post-COVID, it was pretty much the first real Batman trilogy I got to speculate about from the very beginning, and in this day and age where some of the only stuff the genre has to offer is a bunch of overproduced, badly shot samey fluff......this is a very welcome breath of fresh air especially coming off of the DCEU.

But more than that, I think it just comes from the TDK influence being practically EVERYWHERE and forming the basis for most everything Batman past a certain point when I was a kid, to the point where it became tiresome. That, as well as Zimmer's score. It's like hearing the same 10 bands on the radio with the same 14 hits being played over. And over. And over. And over.

Don't get me wrong, I still like them, I'll get engaged if they're on, and will always consider them one of my first real forays into film. But as of right now I won't put them on unless I want to show them to someone, because I'm just kinda burnt out on them.

This makes sense. I’ve said many times that if I was younger I would probably feel the same. The Batman also looks and feels closer to the Batman movie I always imagined getting when I was younger. And I can easily imagine putting myself in the shoes of someone who grew up with those movies instilled as the be-all, end-all and almost wanting to rebel against that and get more invested in “my” version. It’s probably similar to why I can be a huge a fan of a band like Metallica and recognize their massive influence on most bands that I like without ever necessarily calling them one of my favorite bands. I’m just a little too sick of them for that, and I wasn’t the right age when they were at the height of their powers— but I still respect the hell out of them for paving the way and will gladly see them in concert when they come around.

In my case, getting something that felt both unexpected and definitive at the same time with Nolan’s trilogy was such a thrill. I was about your age when TDK came out— the experience of anticipating and essentially participating in a pop culture phenomenon that was such a gamechanger was just incomparable to anything I’d experienced before or after as a fan of the character. It was the first time as a movie fan that I really became conscious of the fact that I was watching history unfold.

Seeing The Dark Knight in theaters as a teenager was probably the only time in all my years of going to the cinema where I literally felt the genre transcend once it was over. There was a before TDK as I waiting in line with many others at midnight, and after when it was over. I haven't experienced something quite like it since.

Ummm… missing someone?

Ummm… missing someone?

I've been noticing this with a lot of the 85th anniversary merch I'm seeing. It's odd.

It’s gotta be some sort of licensing issue, right? There’s no way they’d leave Bale out deliberately.

I wasn't gonna say anything about Reeves stans today, but....yeah, even before TB came out, there's been a "Loki wants to outdo Thor" vibe coming from some of them.

I have to say, it was hilarious watching people gas up how much of a "true fan" Reeves was compared to other Batman directors, only to find out that Reeves pretty much had a similar background to Nolan when it came to Batman fandom.

I actually mentioned this on the Batman sub-reddit and someone accused me of "spreading misinformation" and than went on about how Nolan said he was never much of a comic book fan as his brother was and how Reeves mentioned his favorite Batman comics when he was hired and how he was obsessed with Batman as a child.

Definite "Loki trying to outdo Thor" energy there.

The script is such a great read. A few added lines of dialogue sprinkled in that actually add a lot to certain characters & scenes.

I’m sure it’s been discussed before but highly recommend fans check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"