Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh now it's "Oscar wins" for Black Panther. A few months ago it was Black Panther is not gonna get nominated...

No different than the scores of people saying Black Panther will win best picture. At the end of the day these are silly comic book films. I can pretty much guarantee BP and XDP will not be getting any creative Oscars.

No there's a difference. Black Panther is part of the Oscar talk this year from actual industry people whether you want to admit to it or not. I might not think the movie was "all that" and IMO it wasn't the best movie put out by that studio (IW takes the cake) but I'm not gonna disregard its cultural impact.

The only people talking about Dark Phoenix and its Oscar chances are Kinberg fanatics...

Oh now it's "Oscar wins" for Black Panther. A few months ago it was Black Panther is not gonna get nominated...

No there's a difference. Black Panther is part of the Oscar talk this year from actual industry people whether you want to admit to it or not. I might not think the movie was "all that" and IMO it wasn't the best movie put out by that studio (IW takes the cake) but I'm not gonna disregard its cultural impact.

The only people talking about Dark Phoenix and its Oscar chances are Kinberg fanatics...
What "industry people"? And how can you even say one way or another how Dark Phoenix wiil be recieved? Whether you want to admit it or not you're not a time traveler.

I’ll go on a limb and say Ruth E Carter has a good chance for costume design for Black Panther.

As for Dark Phoenix, it would be good for news one was or the other to come out about this film.

What "industry people"?

I can always just say:

"Just go [on Google] and find out for yourself. I'm not doing all the work for you."

^^^An insult that you love throwing around.

But here, I've done your work for you:

Is ‘Black Panther’ the Year’s Only Real Oscar Best Picture Contender So Far? from The Wrap

Oscars at Halfway Point: ‘Black Panther’ Leads the Pack, With Heavy-Hitters Coming Up from Variety

Oscars 2019: A way-too-early look at next year's Academy Awards contenders from USA Today

Oscars 2019: From Black Panther to Hereditary, here are some top contenders so far from Entertainment Weekly

2019 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor Predictions from Indie Wire

And how can you even say one way or another how Dark Phoenix wiil be recieved? Whether you want to admit it or not you're not a time traveler.

You just said:

I can pretty much guarantee BP and XDP will not be getting any creative Oscars.

And I'm the time traveler? Ok there Biff.

I can guarantee you Dark Phoenix has a lower shot of getting an Oscar nomination over Black Panther. And I didn't even have to be a time traveler for that.

Between one poster on here bringing up the possibility of:
Simon Kinberg to Christopher McQuarrie and of the likelihood that Kinberg's directorial debut will be in the 90's

I really do think people need to curb (and there's no other way to call it) their crazy talk.

Especially since this same group are policing people that are positive about a Feige-takeover.
Have I suggested what likelihood Kinberg's directorial debut will be in? Or are you making that claim? Don't think I've policed people saying positive things about Feige-takeover either. Strange claims....
Maybe you should clarify who you're referring to and not be afraid to address them directly.

Last edited:
TBH, with the posts from the same 3-5 people that always come to the defense of Kinberg, it has been difficult to keep track of who said what, where.

So I'll try my best here:

Have I suggested what likelihood Kinberg's directorial debut will be in?

How else is one supposed to interpret you bringing up McQuarrie in the conversation after his 97% and 93% scores? His name was obviously brought up as an example of the highs a Kinberg-directed movie would be.

Don't think I've policed people saying positive things about Feige-takeover either. Strange claims....

JH has. Yes I agree, it is a strange thing to do.

Maybe you should clarify who you're referring to and not be afraid to address them directly.

Not afraid. I just wanted to consolidate the supposed potential accolades this movie will receive if it were up to Kinberg's fans:

Sophie Turner getting a Best Actress Oscar Nomination and maybe Win for Dark Phoenix; another saying
Dark Phoenix might get a Best Picture Oscar Nomination and maybe Win for next year's festivities; a third one saying
Dark Phoenix can do Black Panther-type numbers at the Box Office just based on the release date change; and now comparing
Simon Kinberg to Christopher McQuarrie and of the likelihood that Kinberg's directorial debut will be in the 90's

Again seeing it typed up like that, shows you the amount of great expectations Kinberg's fans want out of his directorial debut. This is certainly just a few of his fans and I have high hopes a majority of his fans are not expecting any of the above.

I'd hate to be them once this movie comes out and it's just middling. Or if it doesn't get an Oscar nomination. Or it doesn't make $1.3 Billion. Oh the horror.

TBH, with the posts from the same 3-5 people that always come to the defense of Kinberg, it has been difficult to keep track of who said what, where.

So I'll try my best here:

How else is one supposed to interpret you bringing up McQuarrie in the conversation after his 97% and 93% scores? His name was obviously brought up as an example of the highs a Kinberg-directed movie would be.
That doesn't answer my question. I asked you directly "have I suggested what likelihood Kinberg's directorial debut will be in"? Especially when I directly said to you:
I don't have any expectations for his directorial debut. I have stated plenty of times that I will wait to see what his directing and creative vision will be before I form an opinion.
So why are you claiming I've suggested Dark Phoenix would likely be in the 90s when I did no such thing? When I first brought up McQuarrie, my point was to show that Kinberg was transitioning to a similar role of being a combination of writer, director, producer and the fact that they've both worked on good and bad films, where I stated at the end of that post: "So there's no telling how Kinberg's directing and creative vision will be until you actually see the product...and then form a judgement based on it."

As well as "So, it just goes to show you don't know how a film will turn out until you see the final product." in a following post.

This is so clear in the posts themselves, yet you keep ignoring it in an attempt to suggest a lie. How many times does it have to be repeated?
The numbers I've listed regarding McQuarrie were concerning his highest rated (97%) and lowest rated (48%) films as director to bring home the point. I even brought up the fact that just because McQuarrie won an Oscar for screenplay didn't prevent him from directing a bad movie. This is because he had little experience working on films other than being a hired screenwriter.

Not afraid.
If that were true you wouldn't address them as "one person" or "Kinberg's fans". We don't know who's claiming what regarding Oscar nominations simply from this post you made because you list no one. You should identify who's saying what. And given the lie you made regarding my post, it makes yours highly dubious since you very clearly overlook repeated statements made directly to you.

Last edited:
This one confounds me, to be honest :huh: Way of the Gun was awesome.
Film critics, usually certified members of writing guilds or film critic-associations, tend to look for different specific factors on different layers of a film as it relate to film theory or film studies.

X-Men: Infinity board war
:funny:

this place is getting too intense to my liking. and pretty tiring. Marvel Studios cant come here soon enough. but lets have some patience.

2 days for shareholders voting.

The only reason Black Panther is getting Oscar buzz is because its the first all black comic film. Just like WW was getting Oscar hype last year. Logan is the standard because of its nomination last year and Black Panther or WW dont even come close.

X-Men: Infinity board war
:funny:

this place is getting too intense to my liking. and pretty tiring. Marvel Studios cant come here soon enough. but lets have some patience.

2 days for shareholders voting.

Yep, not long at all now.

lets hope there isnt a negative twist this july 27

Marvel Studios cant come here soon enough. but lets have some patience. 2 days for shareholders voting.
Kevin Feige:

You’re right, it’s too far out to talk about whether it will happen of not. We’re not working on it (X-Men’s MCU debut) in any way, shape or form. We’ve got five films on the docket we’ve already announced that are taking a big percent of our time.
He's stated that future planned films are already booked through 2024. The Eternals is expected to arrive in 2021 or 2022.

Kevin Feige:

He's stated that future planned films are already booked through 2024. The Eternals is expected to arrive in 2021 or 2022.

and things change. Just ask the Inhumans and the films shifted bc of Homecoming. Feige may have said that but he's likely not being 100% truthful.

The only reason Black Panther is getting Oscar buzz is because its the first all black comic film. Just like WW was getting Oscar hype last year. Logan is the standard because of its nomination last year and Black Panther or WW dont even come close.

I'll take many BP & WW sequels over a Logan Oscar nomination.

and things change. Just ask the Inhumans and the films shifted bc of Homecoming. Feige may have said that but he's likely not being 100% truthful.
Of course he isn't. And the Marvel Studios schedule is extremely flexible, I mean you don't think it will change EVERYTHING when Marvel gets these properties back? The game is going to change. And pathways that were blocked from the MCU will open up. Eternals I could easily see getting delayed

Time will tell. We know Phase 4 will focus on cosmic side of Marvel. Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is said to set up "the next 10, 20 years" of Marvel movies. And they're already in the planning stages for the Eternals. I don't expect to see x-men in the MCU for a good 3-4 years or longer due to all the other sequels (possible final) for some of the Avenger characters. Then the cosmic characters like Captain Marvel and whatever new characters they'll introduce through the next Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't think they be postponing any of that just for X-men simply because of the contracts some of the actors have already sign on for to complete their films.

Black Panther has a higher tomatometer than both WW and Logan. Also higher on Metacritic than both WW and Logan.

It clearly is thought as a high quality film in general irrespective of your own opinion, and that's why it's getting the buzz.

Also Feige:I’m just sitting, waiting for a phone call to say yay or nay, but obviously it would be nice to have access to that entire library."

But he also said:
So, certainly it won’t impact the five movies we’ve announced, and it probably wouldn’t impact anything for a handful of years after that. Because really, we’re not thinking about that. We’re thinking of delivering on what we promised. Any movie, especially for any characters we don’t have the rights to yet until someone tells us we do, would be even further after that."
So I'm sure he's eager to have access to the entire library....but that doesn't mean any x-men films will happen anytime soon.

Of course he isn't. And the Marvel Studios schedule is extremely flexible, I mean you don't think it will change EVERYTHING when Marvel gets these properties back? The game is going to change. And pathways that were blocked from the MCU will open up. Eternals I could easily see getting delayed

Im 200% sure about that.

Eternals may still arrive before X-Men (maybe not) but once Feige introduces the X-Men, the explotion will be huge in their universe

P
I can always just say:

"Just go [on Google] and find out for yourself. I'm not doing all the work for you."

^^^An insult that you love throwing around.

But here, I've done your work for you:

Is ‘Black Panther’ the Year’s Only Real Oscar Best Picture Contender So Far? from The Wrap

Oscars at Halfway Point: ‘Black Panther’ Leads the Pack, With Heavy-Hitters Coming Up from Variety

Oscars 2019: A way-too-early look at next year's Academy Awards contenders from USA Today

Oscars 2019: From Black Panther to Hereditary, here are some top contenders so far from Entertainment Weekly

2019 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor Predictions from Indie Wire

You just said:

And I'm the time traveler? Ok there Biff.

I can guarantee you Dark Phoenix has a lower shot of getting an Oscar nomination over Black Panther. And I didn't even have to be a time traveler for that.

Yep just about the same number of people saying WW would get nominated and we all know how that turned out...
TBH BP's lousy special FX took me out of the movie and I think they really damaged their ability to get any nomination If they ever had one, which is questionable, because of it. Also many inadvertently funny places audiances were supposed to be taking seriously.

And I said "pretty much guarantee" meaning I'm taking an educated guess based on the past (not even a year ago).

Have a lovely day!:woot:

P

Yep just about the same number of people saying WW would get nominated and we all know how that turned out...
TBH BP's lousy special FX took me out of the movie and I think they really damaged their ability to get any nomination If they ever had one, which is questionable, because of it. Also many inadvertently funny places audiances were supposed to be taking seriously.

And I said "pretty much guarantee" meaning I'm taking an educated guess based on the past (not even a year ago).

Have a lovely day!:woot:

Stop moving the goalpost.

You dismissed my original statement that "Black Panther is part of the Oscar talk amongst industry people." And now that I've provided evidence that yes "Black Panther is part of Oscar talk amongst industry people" now your retort is "it's all just talk, nothing's gonna come out of it."

I don't care if BP gets a Best Picture nomination. Regardless for my opinion of the movie, I honestly don't think *this* Academy is liberal enough, for a want of a better word, to nominate it for the big prize (the "lesser" nominations more likely). That doesn't change the fact that the movie is part of Oscar talk. A fact you're constantly lying about.

Stop moving the goalpost.

You dismissed my original statement that "Black Panther is part of the Oscar talk amongst industry people." And now that I've provided evidence that yes "Black Panther is part of Oscar talk amongst industry people" now your retort is "it's all just talk, nothing's gonna come out of it."

I don't care if BP gets a Best Picture nomination. Regardless for my opinion of the movie, I honestly don't think *this* Academy is liberal enough, for a want of a better word, to nominate it for the big prize (the "lesser" nominations more likely). That doesn't change the fact that the movie is part of Oscar talk. A fact you're constantly lying about.

Clearly you do otherwise you wouldn't have been so triggered when I brought it up. Never "moved any goalpost" (honestly never heard that expression before) just saying people talk quite a bit about films competing in that they believe should be nominated that never come to fruition.

Lying about something? Weren't you the one so angry when I was telling people not to expect too many spinoffs from Marvel "no one is doing that!" and in this very thread there are people saying Storm, Dazzler, X-Force and Cyclops films are on the way from Disney?

You calling me any name is a joke.

Have a wonderful week.:cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"