Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I detest Fox's last minute approach to marketing. Comic book properties foster constant attention more than any other, so if studios don't maintain a positive energy around a film it will turn sour quick. Conversation will continue, and if the teases dry up the internet will be its usual crazy self and create its own news. A decent push near release will probably work out fine, but Fox need to see the benefit of a sustained buzz when you have us nerds already excited.

No different than the scores of people saying Black Panther will win best picture. At the end of the day these are silly comic book films. I can pretty much guarantee BP and XDP will not be getting any creative Oscars.

.... But-but you do see the enormous differences right?

I mean Black Panther came out already and was good. It pleased critics and broke box office records and became something of a cultural landmark.

Dark Phoenix doesn't even have a trailer yet and has disappeared into the news vacuum of a studio merger.

I detest Fox's last minute approach to marketing. Comic book properties foster constant attention more than any other, so if studios don't maintain a positive energy around a film it will turn sour quick. Conversation will continue, and if the teases dry up the internet will be its usual crazy self and create its own news. A decent push near release will probably work out fine, but Fox need to see the benefit of a sustained buzz when you have us nerds already excited.

I mean Black Panther came out already and was good. It pleased critics and broke box office records and became something of a cultural landmark.

Dark Phoenix doesn't even have a trailer yet and has disappeared into the news vacuum of a studio merger.

To be honest there isn't because the other poster was saying "if things go to plan with quality like Logan and performances similar" I remember this post. They compared how Logan was ambitious in how it saw itself as a western and XDP as a psychological thriller/ drama. He/she mentioned how Sophie Turner really wanted to bring it in the role and was trying very hard. With all sides being equal (a side from Kinberg scripting perhaps) if everyone is bringing it it would definitely have a chance to be well received.

And I also hate the throw everything at them at the lk ast minute marketing approach.

Clearly you do otherwise you wouldn't have been so triggered when I brought it up.

It's called stating facts. Just because I don't agree with something (BP deserving for an Oscar) doesn't mean INDUSTRY people aren't talking about it.

Never "moved any goalpost" (honestly never heard that expression before) just saying people talk quite a bit about films competing in that they believe should be nominated that never come to fruition.

I really should stop wasting time squabbling with 14 year olds on a message boad. Teenagers who've never heard of "moving a goalpost" (wth admits to not knowing what that means? at least google it and pretend you know about it lol) and comes back with retorts like "Whether you want to admit it or not you're not a time traveler."

So to steer it back to Dark Phoenix, not sure if this is new but (Simon Kinberg) Dark Phoenix shows up at Mel Studio's website with Apocalypse showing up on the studio's Demo Reel at the 1:15 to 1:17 mark. I can't believe they would choose those shots though :oldrazz:

You are far too irrelevant for me to ever "squabble with" but yeah sure whatever you say. Again laughable.

Moving on I really do hope XDP is well received just to see some of the haters trying to without seeing sny footage declare it a failure do well. It would send off the X-Men filmverse the best way possible and set up Kinberg as a consultant on the Disney Marvel film which would be hilarious to see (though I want him far away from scripts).

The rose colored glasses are preventing him from seeing the ginormous difference between Industry people, Industry trades, directors like Christopher Nolan, Ava Duvernay et al praising Black Panther

Vs.

One, lone Simon Kinberg fanboy/girl on a message board hoping that an actress, Sophie Turner--who's never won a Major acting award (unless you count a Mammoth Film Festival win, GOT ensemble nominations and ummm...a Kids' Choice "Blimp" Award nomination for #Squad X-men Apocalypse of all films...)--hoping Dark Phoenix scores an Oscar.

He/she mentioned how Sophie Turner really wanted to bring it in the role and was trying very hard.

Yes that's what it all takes. If "Sophie Turner really wanted to bring it as Dark Phoenix" she'll get an Oscar. Just like if Simon Kinberg really wanted to bring it as Director for Dark Phoenix, he'll also get an Oscar.

Yes that's what it all takes. If "Sophie Turner really wanted to bring it as Dark Phoenix" she'll get an Oscar. Just like if Simon Kinberg really wanted to bring it as Director for Dark Phoenix, he'll also get an Oscar.
Talk about lying... I never said she would get an Oscar. I said it has a chance of being well received which was the basis of the argument for BP getting an Oscar. If XDP takes the same care that Logan did it has a good chance of doing so.

And I thought you were done "squabbling" with yourself because it certainly wasn't me?

Talk about lying... I never said she would get an Oscar. I said it has a chance of being well received which was the basis of the argument for BP getting an Oscar. If XDP takes the same care that Logan did it has a good chance of doing so.

We're talking about the same person/conversation here:

"He/she mentioned how Sophie Turner really wanted to bring it in the role and was trying very hard. With all sides being equal (a side from Kinberg scripting perhaps) if everyone is bringing it it would definitely have a chance to be well received."

I don't remember the person that said it many threads ago but it seems you do remember the conversation. I never said it was you. Please keep your talking points straight!

Though from the above quote you seem to subscribe to Sophie getting acting accolades with a script written by Kinberg. And to that I say, Good Luck.

You are far too irrelevant for me to ever "squabble with" but yeah sure whatever you say. Again laughable.

Moving on I really do hope XDP is well received just to see some of the haters trying to without seeing sny footage declare it a failure do well. It would send off the X-Men filmverse the best way possible and set up Kinberg as a consultant on the Disney Marvel film which would be hilarious to see (though I want him far away from scripts).

I think we're mad because we have had no footage, tweets, nothing. That is the very first reason fans get mad.

Last edited:
The fans are sticking around because X-Men may soon be rebooted/introduced in the MCU but that has really been the only news we've had about the franchise in several months.

Storm could have been both the Wonder Woman and Black Panther of the Fox CBMs but, of course, no. They'd rather shove her in the background as some black woman who fires lightning occasionally, while giving prominence to lots of white people...

Fox never really knew the potential of what it had, this is the problem. After 18 years, we are back to a retread of a story we had in 2006.

I do question whether Disney would allow a female-led superhero movie featuring Skrulls to come out just before their own female-led superhero movie featuring Skrulls.

But whatever Disney does with X-Men and F4 will at least be different, and will at least have tons of scope to be different because of the amount of material unused and underused by Fox. F4 will without doubt be a huge improvement.

The Fox X-Men franchise has been good - fantastic at times, dreadful at other points. Its only consistent feature was being inconsistent. I do think it has been wobbly and threatening to derail ever since X2. Let's hope Dark Phoenix is a good send-off not a crash-and-burn catastrophe. No one wants the phoenix to turn out as a turkey.

You do realize studios are changing their marketing tactics....right? That isn't merely Fox. The first trailer for Aquaman just launched.....5 months from the release date. We're only just now getting official marketing materials for that movie. A big part of that decision is VFX. Unfinished visual effects didn't help Apocalypse. Didn't help 1st trailer for Venom.
For a public online release of a trailer, where fans and pundits will go through every single frame in detail, visual effects need to be up to scratch. It means that the trailer needs to be fully ready for the general public to see, not just the fans. This includes completed effects (for the shots in the trailer), the right amount of footage and story for the amount of time before the film’s release, and just generally good timing, including a good theatrical placement

The other reason is the general public. Because when you release something online, it’s not just for the fans, it’s for the general public to consume too and studios want to control how much goes out at what timeframe before the film’s release. As Parker says, “the reason you don’t see footage out that far is you run the risk of it getting stale. The studio’s intention is to get the most important opinions and opinion-makers in this community engaged in the promise of what’s coming” With events like CinemaCon, it’s exhibitors and select press. There is a different expectation and different conversation to be had when something is released to the public as opposed to previewed for a select audience.

When you have a four-minute reel from Justice League dropping online nearly a year and a half before the film’s release, when it’s time for the marketing campaign to start properly half a year later, you can’t just put out a short and ambiguous 1-minute teaser. The public will bear all that previous footage in mind. And by the time the film’s release rolls around, you’ll get some people complaining that the studio has shown far too much.

So the trailer for Glass, Lego Movie 2, The Hidden World, Shazam!, King of the Monsters and Dumbo are out... The last four comes out after February 2019.

eXpect, the trailer of Captain Marvel to come out first! :o

So the trailer or Glass, Lego Movie 2, The Hidden World, Shazam!, King of the Monsters and Dumbo are out... The last four comes out after February 2019.

eXpect, the trailer of Captain Marvel to come out first! :o
That's the studio's decision. Something like Aquaman could be more VFX heavy than the others with the underwater sequences. Animated films don't have to deal with green screens and heavy compositing with live action plates, so getting footage done for trailers is much easier- straight out the render farm. Dark Phoenix has a longer post-production schedule than a typical film so they are likely treating it as Warner Bros did with Aquaman to wait closer to release, especially after the disastrous Apocalypse trailer. Some of these studios are also using some of the same companies to do their VFX: Shazam!, Aquaman, The Lion King, Dark Phoenix, Godzilla:King of Monsters, Dumbo, Predator, are all using the same VFX company for some of their shots.

That's not to say Dark Phoenix isn't ready show something. Enough time has past for certain VFX shots to be finished in time. They've already screened a trailer at CineEurope for industry professionals, so I think its simply timing for proper release- likely Aug or Sept within a six to five month span.

Last edited:
You do realize studios are changing their marketing tactics....right? That isn't merely Fox. The first trailer for Aquaman just launched.....5 months from the release date. We're only just now getting official marketing materials for that movie. A big part of that decision is VFX. Unfinished visual effects didn't help Apocalypse. Didn't help 1st trailer for Venom.

All well and good... But this is par for the course marketing for Fox, and it sucks just as much as it did previously. There's no reason we can't have seen some more interesting photos or concept art or anything really. Silence is poisoning an already stagnant well. Boring as hell too.

Apocalypse wasn't harmed by a rushed trailer either. Everything that looked bad in those looked bad in the film.

All well and good... But this is par for the course marketing for Fox, and it sucks just as much as it did previously. There's no reason we can't have seen some more interesting photos or concept art or anything really. Silence is poisoning an already stagnant well. Boring as hell too.

Apocalypse wasn't harmed by a rushed trailer either. Everything that looked bad in those looked bad in the film.
?? They've already released first look material at the end of last year two months after completing principle photography, nearly over a year before release. Aquaman's first look was shown in March of last year and then nothing until the 1st trailer released this month. You forget that DP has almost a year of post production for its visual effects to align with Kinberg's vision of a more organic approach, using real world imagery of disaster footage or lightning strikes from pre-production.

Apocalypse was defiantly harmed by a rushed trailer, because that's all people were talking about...the horrible unfinished VFX. First it was the goofy pictures of Apocalypse released that became a running joke. Then a sloppy first trailer which was basically almost similar to the comic con footage shown while they were still in the middle of filming. The first trailer certainly had unfinished placeholder visual effects, particularly the bridge/cityscape destruction scene that looked noticeably different in final trailer and movie. Other shots in the trailer had backgrounds completely replaced in film. The final effects in Apocalypse didn't work because it was heightened reality and such a different turn from the seriousness of DOFP. The best way to describe Apocalypse: Silly & Goofy. That's why it didn't work.

Last edited:
?? They've already released first look material at the end of last year two months after completing principle photography, nearly over a year before release. Aquaman's first look was shown in March of last year and then nothing until the 1st trailer released this month. You forget that DP has almost a year of post production for its visual effects to align with Kinberg's vision of a more organic approach, using real world imagery of disaster footage or lightning strikes from pre-production.

Apocalypse was defiantly harmed by a rushed trailer, because that's all people were talking about...the horrible unfinished VFX. First it was the goofy pictures of Apocalypse released that became a running joke. Then a sloppy first trailer which was basically almost similar to the comic con shown while they were still in the middle of filming. The first trailer certainly had unfinished placeholder visual effects, particularly the bridge/cityscape destruction scene that looked noticeably different in final trailer and movie. Other shots in the trailer had backgrounds completely replaced in film. The final effects in Apocalypse didn't work because it was heightened reality and such a different turn from the seriousness of DOFP. The best way to describe Apocalypse: Silly & Goofy.

The plot was just plain bland. Why did Apocalypse return? Because a carpet was accidentally moved. I'm still unsure if old as balls body in the beginning was his original body or ? Apocalypse should have been handled like Thanos not just one off villain. The only thing I liked about him was nuke launch scene.

The plot was just plain bland. Why did Apocalypse return? Because a carpet was accidentally moved. I'm still unsure if old as balls body in the beginning was his original body or ? Apocalypse should have been handled like Thanos not just one off villain. The only thing I liked about him was nuke launch scene.
It wasn't just the plot that the story team came up with. The movie looked bland & off too. It just visually didn't mesh.

So really there's no excuses for Dark Phoenix. More than a year of post (Production wrapped in October, with three months added as a buffer for the reshoots/effects, supposedly) that trailer better be Amahhhzing. :up:

Who's ready to see Kinberg's unfiltered "vision?"

I'm definitely intrigued given that the CineEurope trailer was described as an action thriller. I want to know what they saw that gave them that vibe. I want to see how the gritty tone work, realism approach and how much darker it is. And Kinberg's approach to shooting in handheld Steadicam technique. And I want to see how different the VFX are handled this time compared with.....Apocalypse. Basically how different it will be from Apocalypse. Some have described it closer to First Class tone so I want to know how the trailer will depict this.

Last edited:
I wonder if Disney gets economically impacted if these movies are not released? I mean, the one who paid for those was Fox..

Even if the movies were to suck and you didn't pay for them (Disney) YET you will earn an income (box office), I think it would be a dumb decision to cancel the movies.

I think this is just "fake news"

Tony

Some have described it closer to First Class tone so I want to know how the trailer will depict this.

This rumor come from ManaByte. He also said test audiences hated Deadpool 2. He's a big FAKE NEWSER and Fox-hater.

Don't believe him he has no clue what he is talking about.

I wonder if Disney gets economically impacted if these movies are not released? I mean, the one who paid for those was Fox..

Even if the movies were to suck and you didn't pay for them (Disney) YET you will earn an income (box office), I think it would be a dumb decision to cancel the movies.

I think this is just "fake news"

Tony

That's not how it works. If Disney is getting Fox's properties and upcoming releases, they also get their debt. Fox (probably) spent $100+ million on Dark Phoenix. That debt will belong to Disney.

As much as I want Kinberg's directorial debut to be canned, that's just never going to happen. The internet needs to stop feeding this bs narrative for clicks just cause they know some people want to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"